2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Best way to carry clubs when flying?

LLtheLB

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently came back from a golf trip up to the Pacific Northwest and I decided to use a regular fabric type travel case. The main reason for this is the hard case shell won't fit into the trunk of many rentals. I guess if you plan it just right, you can rent a truck/SUV with roof racks and you would be fine. It's also hard to store these travel cases when you get back home because I don't have a basement!

Either way, the fabric ones are nice and they protected the sticks real nice! Good luck!

clubglove. no question. folds up fairly small when traveling, and very durable and protective. all you need is a good pole to stick in there to make sure nothing happens if it lands on it's top. i've seen other bags out there, and they just aren't as good in my opinion.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Ogio Mammoth or Monster. I have the Mammoth and like it better than my Clubglove. Sold the Clubglove in fact. Ogio is super easy to handle and wheel around. Can spin it 360 degrees or just push/pull it along in an upright position. Clubglove is very, very good but I still prefer the Ogio.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

[quote name='LLtheLB' timestamp='1297841182' post='2981757']
What's the best option for travelling with clubs? Do people like hard cases? I'm thinking about this: [url="http://clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=13"]http://clubglove.com...sp?ProductID=13[/url], with the additional [url="http://clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=18"]http://clubglove.com...sp?ProductID=18[/url]. Thoughts?? Thanks!
[/quote]

WE have two really padded BagBoy T9 soft cases, that also provide enough room that we put our dive masks, fins and snorkels inside, as well as shoes. By the way, we've been using those for eight years, and they still look fine and protect. Plus they make it easy to use them. All I do is put my luggage case on top and pull away.

My buddy uses a club-glove and loves his.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I have had great sucess with my hybrid bag, looks something like this

http://www.golftown.com/Callaway-Hybrid-Travel-Golf-Bag-P2845.aspx

You can get it into the trunk of a car with it fully covered up, provides good security and protection, I've done 6-10 flights with no troubles what so ever. Not the best looking bag in the world but hey it's not a fashion show. :partytime2:

What's the best option for travelling with clubs? Do people like hard cases? I'm thinking about this: [url="http://clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=13"]http://clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=13[/url], with the additional [url="http://clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=18"]http://clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=18[/url]. Thoughts?? Thanks!
[/quote]
Also, take a thick bath-type towel and wrap it between your clubs to prevent them from banging into one another and what not. You can also add some additional protection by filling the top part above your clubs with some laundry (this is in addition to the stiff arm).

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Any bag with good padding should do as long as you use the straight arm. I have an old bag boy that has tons of padding and I have never had a problem. The poster who mentioned the size of the hard case is correct - they won't fit in most rental cars unless you get an SUV or Van. And even if it does happen to fit, the rest of your luggage will be riding up front with you.

I have both. When driving to a course out of town I like the hard case because my clubs go in the back of the truck and after a few hundred miles rubbing against the bedliner they and the bag could get messed up. When I have to fly its a good padded soft case WITH the stiff arm, that thing is priceless. I also take some clothes and pack them around the heads for the flight in. On the way home, I pack all my dirty clothes around the heads. That way I can use smaller bag for clothes and such and its a carry on now. Saves a second bag charge too. Thats more golf money.

BTW, most rental cars are so limited with space that I even have to take the clubs out of the soft travel case to get them in the cars. So a hard case is out

Adams 9015D w/Harrison Saga 60S
Callaway XR Pro 4 wood 16* PX 6.0
Callaway Apex Hybrid 18* & 23*
Mizuno MP 15 4-P TTDG S300
Callaway MD3 52* & 58*
Rife Barbados... the best putter ever.

I've always used a hard shell case simply because I've seen what airlines do to clubs from the window of a plane. After one time using a cloth bag...never again.

I've been pondering the Club Glove with a stiff arm for a while now as well, as it is a pain getting those hard cases into any sized vehicle outside a stretch hummer limo.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

I think it depends on where you are going. I typically ship my clubs Fed Ex to the course I am playing or call ahead and speak to someone at the Hotel you are staying at. If you have friends there ship them to their house. With the price airlines charge for bags it is cheaper and less hassle to lug around (plus you can insure them). When you are done ship them back home.

[quote name='hi voltage' timestamp='1297902425' post='2984989']
I think it depends on where you are going. I typically ship my clubs Fed Ex to the course I am playing or call ahead and speak to someone at the Hotel you are staying at. If you have friends there ship them to their house. With the price airlines charge for bags it is cheaper and less hassle to lug around (plus you can insure them). When you are done ship them back home.
[/quote]

Now that's innovative. Definitely makes some sense too with the prices airlines are charging nowadays.

[quote name='vernon' timestamp='1297862422' post='2981964']
Ogio Mammoth or Monster. I have the Mammoth and like it better than my Clubglove. Sold the Clubglove in fact. Ogio is super easy to handle and wheel around. Can spin it 360 degrees or just push/pull it along in an upright position. Clubglove is very, very good but I still prefer the Ogio.
[/quote]

I actually took an Ogio Monster instead of the standard CG Burstproof. I was really impressed... I took a ton of stuff and it fit it all with ease.

I do like the handle and the fact that it stands straight up without any real effort.

If a Burstproof is out of the budget, I'd absolutely recommend finding a Monster on ebay and picking it up... pretty solid bag for like $100 or less.

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1297881544' post='2983382']
What's the best option for travelling with clubs? Do people like hard cases? I'm thinking about this: [url="http://clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=13"]http://clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=13[/url], with the additional [url="http://clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=18"]http://clubglove.com/User/ViewProduct.asp?ProductID=18[/url]. Thoughts?? Thanks!
[/quote]
Also, take a thick bath-type towel and wrap it between your clubs to prevent them from banging into one another and what not. You can also add some additional protection by filling the top part above your clubs with some laundry (this is in addition to the stiff arm).
[/quote]

Great advice. I even know some people who put their clubs in upside down. I actually took my driver apart and just put the head in the bag.

[quote name='LLtheLB' timestamp='1297922572' post='2986069']
[quote name='hi voltage' timestamp='1297902425' post='2984989']
[/quote]

Now that's innovative. Definitely makes some sense too with the prices airlines are charging nowadays.
[/quote]

Or you can fly Southwest. You still have to deal with the risk of club breakage, but I wasn't charged any fees.

Sorry, I don't understand another thread on golf travel cases. Only two weeks ago there was a thread on golf travel cases and, rather than just rudely write "Use the search function" (which would have been true nevertheless), I posted links to about 20 previous threads on the subject (and posted a link to that link in this thread!). At this point, is there really anything new to add?

I love to travel and I've played golf all over the world. I like to read and post about playing golf in various locations. However, gentlemen, before you ask about golf in____________, remember there are lots of previous threads on golf in ___________ (Las Vegas, Ireland, Scotland, Pinehurst, Myrtle Beach, Florida, Arizona etc.). [u]Somebody[/u] has already been where you want to go and has likely posted about it.

Frankly, the same thing is true about the rules of golf and handicap methodology. There have been MANY links to the USGA website, the definitive source of information on these subjects (and many others), but with all the computer literacy evident on Golfwrx, there seems to be an inability to go the the [u]source[/u] (the USGA or R&A) and give instead give uninformed, inaccurate opinions about what someone [i]thinks[/i] the rule is. What the rule or policy is is FACT, not opinion, and it's in the rule book/decisions and can be quoted accurately. Whether you LIKE the rule or think it ought be changed is OPINION and is fair game for comment.

Lastly, the golf equipment companies have websites. Tip: these websites have lots of information about the products.

Thank you. I will now go get my coffee.

[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' timestamp='1297945971' post='2986288']
Sorry, I don't understand another thread on golf travel cases. Only two weeks ago there was a thread on golf travel cases and, rather than just rudely write "Use the search function" (which would have been true nevertheless), I posted links to about 20 previous threads on the subject (and posted a link to that link in this thread!). At this point, is there really anything new to add?

I love to travel and I've played golf all over the world. I like to read and post about playing golf in various locations. However, gentlemen, before you ask about golf in____________, remember there are lots of previous threads on golf in ___________ (Las Vegas, Ireland, Scotland, Pinehurst, Myrtle Beach, Florida, Arizona etc.). [u]Somebody[/u] has already been where you want to go and has likely posted about it.

Frankly, the same thing is true about the rules of golf and handicap methodology. There have been MANY links to the USGA website, the definitive source of information on these subjects (and many others), but with all the computer literacy evident on Golfwrx, there seems to be an inability to go the the [u]source[/u] (the USGA or R&A) and give instead give uninformed, inaccurate opinions about what someone [i]thinks[/i] the rule is. What the rule or policy is is FACT, not opinion, and it's in the rule book/decisions and can be quoted accurately. Whether you LIKE the rule or think it ought be changed is OPINION and is fair game for comment.

Lastly, the golf equipment companies have websites. Tip: these websites have lots of information about the products.

[/quote]

I agree that the serach function really needs to get more use out of it, without question. Seriously, how many more "KBS vs DG vs PX" threads are actually going to be created? But, the way you state this makes it seem like this whole site isn't really needed when the information is readily available at other places online. I thought the whole point of a forum was for people to compile information in a single location, while providing their feedback and opinion when possible.

I understand the rules are cut and dry, they're supposed to be, they're rules. However, that doesn't stop people from [s]complaining[/s] debating about them online when they think they got an unfavorable ruling or whatever happened.

Fact of the matter is this..most people are simply too lazy to go find the information themselves, so they post a thread that has been beat to death all becuase they want people to do the work for them. I'm in agreement with you overall, I guess just commenting, yet again, on a topic which has already been covered time and time again.

And now that I look at it, the OP has only been a member for a week (welcome!). Let's not behead him quite yet. And OP, if you start a thread asking for comparisons in shafts like stated above, we will come and find you ;)

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1297960673' post='2986824']
[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' timestamp='1297945971' post='2986288']

[/quote]

I agree that the search function really needs to get more use out of it, without question. Seriously, how many more "KBS vs DG vs PX" threads are actually going to be created? But, the way you state this makes it seem like this whole site isn't really needed when the information is readily available at other places online. I thought the whole point of a forum was for people to compile information in a single location, while providing their feedback and opinion when possible.

I understand the rules are cut and dry, they're supposed to be, they're rules. However, that doesn't stop people from [s]complaining[/s] debating about them online when they think they got an unfavorable ruling or whatever happened.

Fact of the matter is this..most people are simply too lazy to go find the information themselves, so they post a thread that has been beat to death all because they want people to do the work for them. I'm in agreement with you overall, I guess just commenting, yet again, on a topic which has already been covered time and time again.

And now that I look at it, the OP has only been a member for a week (welcome!). Let's not behead him quite yet. And OP, if you start a thread asking for comparisons in shafts like stated above, we will come and find you ;)
[/quote]

I apologize because I'm certainly not trying to criticize or embarrass a new member. I also apologize because, aside from my observation that golf travel bag threads seem to be posted every time someone is going on a golf trip, the remainder of my vent is somewhat OT.

That being said, I've been on golf forums for a LONG time and I often feel there is little new being posted. As far as your points:

If people are "too lazy" to get information that's readily available from the USGA, Mitsubishi Rayon (Diamana) or Titleist website and/or don't use Google to find the basic facts and data, I don't feel required to enable that laziness. I expect to go to the golf equipment companies' websites or the USGA to get the facts; I come to Golfwrx when I want OPINIONS and comments from "real" people (if they have swings and games comparable to mine, so much the better), unadulterated by marketing hype or vested interest (hopefully) . When I post about a rule of golf or handicap question, you can bet I've double-checked the accuracy on the USGA website rather than take the risk of providing misleading information. Seems reasonable to me.

As far as complaining or debating the rules, as I said, that's fair game and appropriate for discussion on this website. My problem is when someone writes what he [b]thinks or heard[/b] the rule is and gets it wrong, especially when it is SO easy to go to the source and get it right. However, as much as we like to complain about a rule or ruling, you can bet that the USGA, knowing quite a lot about the rules, has a rather logical, if arcane, reason for the rule.

I borrow a Bag Boy from a friend last year and it tore after my outbound flight. I had only been used a couple of times and I footed the bill for replacement. I don't know if BB is good or bad, but I decided to get a SKB hard case with a lifetime warranty after that experience. The problem with the SKB is that it didn't fit in my car trunk, which is bigger than the rentals I usually end up getting. Consider that if you are getting a hard case for flying. I eventually exchanged it for an Ogio Monster because it also had a lifetime warranty claim on the box (once bitten...).

The Ogio isn't so soft and cannot be easily crammed into a trunk, but it does have some give (fits in mine with a little effort). The plus is that it seems to be extra protective, and can hold a lot of stuff. I figured that if I pick up a smaller rental, then I could always take my clubs out of the Ogio and fold it in half for the car - I only need the protection for the flying part. The downside to the Monster is that the protection comes at the cost of weight and foldability when not in use. I would definitely recommend it though.

When flying, I mail mine in a locked hardcase via UPS or FedEx. Do the same upon return. But 99% of the time, I find a course that rents clubs that I might want to try out. Nothing like trying them out by playing them. Most of the time, I'm lucky to get in 1-2 rounds when I travel. That other 1% is the rare trip where I know I'm going to be able to golf first and all else second.