Decent public Ma. Courses that have good drainage...

muzz

Will need the list for this Spring!
Spring is fast approaching :partytime2: , while I'm 100% certain I am not alone, I am itching to get out there to play....and it would be better if the odds were in my favor that the course I spent my $ on wasn't a quagmire, alot of snow melting, and the rains are coming!

I live on the "South Shore"(I don't live near the ocean though...figure that 1 out...hmmmm), so courses that are with 20 Miles of Brockton are the best for me, although I figured a list with a bunch listed all over the state would be good for all of us, at least for reference.
Just because a course is listed, doesn't mean that there will not be any wet spots at all, just that the course in general has good drainage, and a high probability that it can handle a good amount of water before it turns into a marsh.
So in general it'll be playable unless we have a Monsoon......
I'm thinking DECENT/Moderate priced courses.

Olde Scotland Links in Bridgewater (Muni)- I've played here in the Spring, and after a week of decent rains, and it has shown me that it can handle quite a bit of water before it gets ugly, so I'll be spending some $ there this spring.

What MA. courses(Public) do you guys have your eyes set on for the early season, and are good for weeks that have alot of rain?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That maybe the only one! Is Swansea CC close to you? They are normally OK and if you don't mind a little drive you can always hit up Newport National in RI. A couple of my favorites are Red Tail in Devens MA and Norton CC.

Let me know when you are going I'll gladly play this snow has really gotten the best of me.

Jorge

[quote name='SeekonkHolen1' timestamp='1298557467' post='3005100']
That maybe the only one! Is Swansea CC close to you? They are normally OK and if you don't mind a little drive you can always hit up Newport National in RI. A couple of my favorites are Red Tail in Devens MA and Norton CC.

Let me know when you are going I'll gladly play this snow has really gotten the best of me.

Jorge
[/quote]

I like Norton, I don't play there alot because they don't let Non-Members tee off till 12pm on the weekends, and I golf every Sunday- I would golf there a LOT if they stopped the preferred Tee-Times cuz I really like the layout(and it's ~ 20 minutes away)
I didn't put it on this list because I remember it being a lil wet when it rains a lot, maybe they upgraded the drainage since the 1st time I played there(it was awful- it was a quagmire).
Swansea is not too far, ~30-40 minutes- never been to the CC, Red Tail is ~ 1 hr or so away, and I would like to hit it this year in good conditions- haven't played there yet.
Not sure when I'm gonna go, but figured a reference list wouldn't be bad.

I'm gonna start a " MA Aerated Greens" thread early, so that we can share dates of Aeration too if guys wanna help out with that- Sux when ya setup a Teetime at a decent/nice course, and find out when you get there that the greens were just aerated...bah, call me in 3 weeks!

[quote name='dmagalhaes' timestamp='1298558238' post='3005134']
Muzz- Captains in Brewster is open and both courses are in excellent condition. I played 18 this past Saturday. I heard they had 350 rounds on Friday alone.

[url="http://www.captainsgolfcourse.com/"]http://www.captainsgolfcourse.com/[/url]
[/quote]

The Cape has been quite fortunate this winter, hardly any snow.
I was in Yarmouth last week, so I stopped by Hyannis CC...it was a busy parking lot..
Captains-
$40 for walking at this time of the year?
$76 for walking in the summer?

These better be nice courses to charge that kind of dough, that's >$90(Peak season) with a cart(which I don't need anymore with my 3.0), Atlantic is $76 W/Cart, PH is 110 with cart and range balls- do these 2 course fit in between those?

Do these courses drain well?

Thanks Guys

[quote name='muzz' timestamp='1298559491' post='3005179']
[quote name='dmagalhaes' timestamp='1298558238' post='3005134']
Muzz- Captains in Brewster is open and both courses are in excellent condition. I played 18 this past Saturday. I heard they had 350 rounds on Friday alone.

[url="http://www.captainsgolfcourse.com/"]http://www.captainsgolfcourse.com/[/url]
[/quote]

The Cape has been quite fortunate this winter, hardly any snow.
I was in Yarmouth last week, so I stopped by Hyannis CC...it was a busy parking lot..
Captains-
$40 for walking at this time of the year?
$76 for walking in the summer?

These better be nice courses to charge that kind of dough, that's >$90(Peak season) with a cart(which I don't need anymore with my 3.0), Atlantic is $76 W/Cart, PH is 110 with cart and range balls- do these 2 course fit in between those?

Do these courses drain well?

Thanks Guys
[/quote]

Captains was in excellent condition and dry. Greens were rolling well. Starboard course had 1 temp green and 1 temp tee box. It was $40 bucks and worth it.

I've been planning to head down to Captain's once we have a weekend day at least in the high 30's. Seems like the best weather has been randomly during the week. I believe it gets more affordable after 1pm.

Have you played South Shore Country Club in Hingham? It's open year round, weather-permitting, so it's generally the first course open for play outside of the Cape. It's a great course and only $25 to walk off-season. As soon as they're open, I'll be out there on the weekends. As far as drainage, I would say it's very good with the exception of a few holes that are lower and have water adjacent. Much of the course is elevated and should have no problems.

Granite Links in Quincy has extremely good drainage. That said, it's probably one of the least pleasant places to play in the cold due to the exposure and high winds.

Cape Cod Country Club in Falmouth was offering a free round of golf for a while. I don't think they're open yet but I imagine they will be soon and it will likely be less crowded than the other options.

Red Tail in Devens is another course with superb drainage. It may be a bit far for you but I can update on their status as I like to play here during the week.

I recently came across this: [url="http://www.facebook.com/GolfinMassachusetts"]http://www.facebook.com/GolfinMassachusetts[/url]. Very handy page with frequent updates on course openings.

Titleist TSr2 9 Ventus Black 6x | Titleist TSr2 15 Ventus Black 7x | Titleist TSr2 18 Ventus Black 8x  Titleist 620mb 4-P X7 | NCW 51 55 59 X7 | Scotty Cameron NP2 Timeless

I played SSCC about 12 years ago, and I didn't like it much.
Blind shots, nothing but hills....no thx, not a fan, especially walking.

Never played Granite links, I've talked to a few people that have and they all say pretty much the same thing- Pretty, expensive,ball eater, not anywhere near worth the $.
Maybe they're wrong.
Never played Falmouth, a few friends have and they say it's a decent course.

I do wanna play RT this year.....I'm hopeful that I make it happen!

Thanks Guys :drinks:

[quote name='muzz' timestamp='1298585702' post='3006348']

Never played Granite links, I've talked to a few people that have and they all say pretty much the same thing- Pretty, expensive,ball eater, not anywhere near worth the $.
Maybe they're wrong.

[/quote]

I could see not liking SSCC. It's not my favorite course but it gets extra points for me due to all the great cheap rounds I've had there. It's also very close to Boston which I appreciate. It's the only course in the area that stays open year round.

That sounds about right for Granite. It is a bit better in the off-season, where you can get on in the late afternoon for $40 or so. It is a ball eater (long fescue, rocky waste areas) and it's not worth the $125 they charge on the weekends. Still, it has a very private feel for a public course with a very nice pro shop and grill. GPS in the carts is helpful. If you can go out with a member, the extra private 9 holes is good to see. You also get to warm up on a real grass range that way, too.

Cape Cod Country Club in Falmouth is different than Falmouth Country Club. I've heard decent things about FCC but it's not worth the drive down for me. I think CCCC is a private club. If they are offering a free round, I'd check it out the next time I'm on the cape.

Titleist TSr2 9 Ventus Black 6x | Titleist TSr2 15 Ventus Black 7x | Titleist TSr2 18 Ventus Black 8x  Titleist 620mb 4-P X7 | NCW 51 55 59 X7 | Scotty Cameron NP2 Timeless

[quote name='bryanr' timestamp='1298596487' post='3006879']

Maybe they're wrong.

[/quote]

I could see not liking SSCC. It's not my favorite course but it gets extra points for me due to all the great cheap rounds I've had there. It's also very close to Boston which I appreciate. It's the only course in the area that stays open year round.

That sounds about right for Granite. It is a bit better in the off-season, where you can get on in the late afternoon for $40 or so. It is a ball eater (long fescue, rocky waste areas) and it's not worth the $125 they charge on the weekends. Still, it has a very private feel for a public course with a very nice pro shop and grill. GPS in the carts is helpful. If you can go out with a member, the extra private 9 holes is good to see. You also get to warm up on a real grass range that way, too.

Cape Cod Country Club in Falmouth is different than Falmouth Country Club. I've heard decent things about FCC but it's not worth the drive down for me. I think CCCC is a private club. If they are offering a free round, I'd check it out the next time I'm on the cape.
[/quote]

Let me get this straight, if you go to Granite Links IN SEASON for $125, you don't get to hit a real grass range, but you can hit a real grass range if you go with a "Member"?
Exactly what are they giving you for a MEASELEY $125

Never played at CCCC, but I will be playing there this year in late September....Balleymeade too, which I'm looking forward to.

[quote name='muzz' timestamp='1299141002' post='3021892']
[quote name='bryanr' timestamp='1298596487' post='3006879']

Maybe they're wrong.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let me get this straight, if you go to Granite Links IN SEASON for $125, you don't get to hit a real grass range, but you can hit a real grass range if you go with a "Member"?
Exactly what are they giving you for a MEASELEY $125

Never played at CCCC, but I will be playing there this year in late September....Balleymeade too, which I'm looking forward to.
[/quote]

I have a friend who joined Granite Links when he moved to Boston a few years ago. Although it is open to the public, it does have a very private feel to is. As for using the grass range, he paid $25,000 to join. I guess that's why they give members the use of the grass range.

[quote name='jbrunone' timestamp='1299811474' post='3045277']
I know my course opens 25th

GL is a joke, so overpriced. At PH the range is open FRI-SUN, thats good enough. Hard too find another public course at that level other than RedTail.

Captains is in great condition, and drained good. Its gunna be 50 :partytime2: get a round in before my team goes to FLA hopefully.
[/quote]

GL is overpriced. I understand why they don't offer grass tees, though. At any time there are as many people there for the driving range as there are for golf. It would get completely torn up. Plus, they need something beyond an extra 9 holes to convince people to become members. There are still times where you can play GL where it is worth it. For example, crappy weather on a Saturday. 2pm, it clears up and you want to play golf and you're in Boston. You could drive down to GL and pay the discounted twilight rate (which isn't bad before May/after September, ~$45), or you could haul down to the south shore.

Pinehills is great but I should note that they have plastic driving range mats for the shoulder months as well. It's only during the Summer and early Fall that they have the grass tees open. When they're open though, it's the best driving range I've seen on a public course in MA. Perfect placement and good turf.

If anyone wants to carpool down to Captains on Sunday, let me know.

Played Olde Sotty today,and while there were a few wet areas here and there, it was definitely playable. Greens were bumpy, and looked like recently sanded....I guess it opened last tue or wed.
Poquoy just opened, but I bet it's a swamp, I think Easton is gonna open this week, it'll most likely be a swamp as well.

I was just glad to get out, and the weather was decent.

[quote name='muzz' timestamp='1300068772' post='3052908']
Played Olde Sotty today,and while there were a few wet areas here and there, it was definitely playable. Greens were bumpy, and looked like recently sanded....I guess it opened last tue or wed.
Poquoy just opened, but I bet it's a swamp, I think Easton is gonna open this week, it'll most likely be a swamp as well.

I was just glad to get out, and the weather was decent.
/quote]

Poqouy is a nice little course. Front nine is open at Allendale but back nine is still closed for the time being.

I played South Shore Country Club yesterday. The weather didn't live up to the forecast and the wind was intermittently brutal (the worst I can remember playing through around here in a while). Still, a very pleasant round of golf and we finished with plenty of daylight after teeing off at 1pm thanks to the clocks changing.

Fairways were in good shape. A bit yellow and damp in some places but not bad for opening day. Most greens were in good shape. There were three or four holes that did not fare well so they had temporary greens set up in the fairway. This was a bit annoying but understandable. One fairway (5th hole) was still half covered in snow which surprised me but it is very shaded.

There were about 30, maybe 40 golfers out on the course when I was there. Pace of play was good. $25 to walk means I'll be there next weekend most likely.

Your right bryan, the wind was pretty strong yesterday, and with Scotty being a Links styles course it is pretty open.....there were times I thought I was playing in the British open!
2-3 club wind was pretty normal at times yesterday....but while it was a bit annoying, it wasn't gonna stop me from playing the 1st Rd of the year!

[quote name='muzz' timestamp='1300137931' post='3055042']
Your right bryan, the wind was pretty strong yesterday, and with Scotty being a Links styles course it is pretty open.....there were times I thought I was playing in the British open!
2-3 club wind was pretty normal at times yesterday....but while it was a bit annoying, it wasn't gonna stop me from playing the 1st Rd of the year!
[/quote]

Right on. My ego wouldn't let me club up that much so I ended up chipping onto a lot of greens :)