2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Most Macinstosh Compatible GPS?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GolfShot GPS for iPhone is superb ONLY if you have an iPhone 4 (due to the enormous battery on the iPhone 4). Might be a good reason to upgrade your phone if you don't have one already. Good phone and probably costs less than a skycaddie.

If you want a dedicated rangefinder the skycaddie is good with the Mac. At least it was a few years back when I had a Mac and a GPS.

If you get a Rangefinder, the Leupold GX-3 is superb and the crosshairs are red Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED)

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.8 Leopard and have been using the Bushnell Yardage Pro XCG. Great unit, very easy to use. Then I sent the unit in to Bushnell to get a firmware update . . .. . what a nightmare. No MAC support from either Bushnell or iGolf. They kept referring me to the other for support. Just ridiculous. Then someone on this board re-visited this topic. Needless to say I found a fix for the Java/Mac issue and it has been working great ever since. The XCG is a great unit, I bought it for it's simplicity and with new firmware updates they've added more features.

If you have course management issues buy a GPS. If you play smart and just need yardages get a laser.

PM me if you want more info on the XCG fix.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° .::. MRC Diamana GT 60X 14g F/4g R
Callaway Rogue ST LS 16.5° .::. Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75 | 04
Callaway Rogue ST Max 21° .::. Oban Revenge 85 | 04
Fourteen TC888 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Black Onyx S400 TI
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd .::. Matrix U11-P01 for Piretti

Bettinardi BB1-LN Soft Carbon .::. MRC Diamana P135 2.0
Bridgestone Tour B XS

I don't have an iPhone, and I read the thread about the iGolf problems...I like the Bushnell, but I don't want to have to mess with a work around...I heard you did a nice job with that Mr. Park.

I have good course management "skills", my biggest issue is with hazards, i.e., distances to and over, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at a GPS. I'm playing in some tournaments this year on unfamiliar courses and I won't know how far it is to clear a particular hazard, or how far it is to the end of a fairway, or over a bunker, etc. I want to be able to step up to a shot knowing without a doubt that I can either clear the hazard, or leave it short of the hazard. Do you know what I mean?

For you to be able to tell what you have requested 'distances to and over ..........'
the points would have to be mapped by the GPS company beforehand. Some will have mapped certain points, but probably not all you would like.

iGolf usually maps their bunker mappings to the center of the bunker. Not 'to' and 'over'.
Oh, you can't see what they actually mapped to, either. Any GPS company you chose, you're at the mercy of the mapper.

For your requirements, I'd suggest a Rangefinder.

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1299534455' post='3033988']
I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.8 Leopard and have been using the Bushnell Yardage Pro XCG. Great unit, very easy to use. Then I sent the unit in to Bushnell to get a firmware update . . .. . what a nightmare. No MAC support from either Bushnell or iGolf. They kept referring me to the other for support. Just ridiculous. Then someone on this board re-visited this topic. Needless to say I found a fix for the Java/Mac issue and it has been working great ever since. The XCG is a great unit, I bought it for it's simplicity and with new firmware updates they've added more features.

If you have course management issues buy a GPS. If you play smart and just need yardages get a laser.

PM me if you want more info on the XCG fix.
[/quote]

Gave him your fix already. Issue was what happens with Lion....If Igolf/Bushnell gave us the Java version needed in the preference order we would be fine.

I have been using the Skycaddie SGX since it was released with no problems syncing it with my Mac.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I have had Garmin GPSes since the original Street Pilot and their Mac support has been both competent and complete. I guess that is one of the reasons I now have the G5... which I like a lot. It took a while with both the uPro and the G5 to finally make a decision, but I am most happy with the G5.

Garmin has the resources to do things right and I am not as confident saying that about other firms with possibly the exception of SkyGolf. Even Callaway struggled with the uPro for a time.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1299535822' post='3034052']
I don't have an iPhone, and I read the thread about the iGolf problems.
[/quote]

iGolf? Who said anything about iGolf? GolfShot GPS is excellent if you like GPS units..which I do not.

And most modern Rangefinders can accurately shoot hazards. And if I want to know how far I just hit my drive, I walk to my ball, turn around and shoot the ball washer at the tee box :)

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1299535822' post='3034052']
I don't have an iPhone, and I read the thread about the iGolf problems...I like the Bushnell, but I don't want to have to mess with a work around...I heard you did a nice job with that Mr. Park.

I have good course management "skills", my biggest issue is with hazards, i.e., distances to and over, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at a GPS. I'm playing in some tournaments this year on unfamiliar courses and I won't know how far it is to clear a particular hazard, or how far it is to the end of a fairway, or over a bunker, etc. I want to be able to step up to a shot knowing without a doubt that I can either clear the hazard, or leave it short of the hazard. Do you know what I mean?
[/quote]

If the courses you play are available on the Skycaddie it will give you exactly what you are looking for. I play about 30 - 35 different courses a year. It gives me yardages to what I can see and the hazards I cannot see. And not knowing the courses, what I cannot see is important. Also many times it will give a target yardage. I have learned most of the time it is there because it gives you the best spot to hit your next shot from. Also Skycaddie has walked the course. You will get people that will say their yardages on other GPS's are just as accurate. Much of the time they are very close, but there are times their measurements are off. The Skycaddie is as good as a yardage book, without the need to walk off the yardage.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Wayne/StS: Seriously thinking of going the Rangefinder route...it seems the lease hassle.

Frisco: I was going to get the hybrid...but you need iGolf.

Solutions: I've been looking at the Garmin and it looks like a solid unit.

TM: I haven't looked at the Skycaddie...it sounds good, especially since I'll be playing in tournaments on courses I've never seen.

Bench: I don't have an iPhone.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1299602290' post='3036809']Thanks FM, but I don't have a smart phone.[/quote]

He is referring to GolfLogix's standalone GPS built by Garmin; a numbers only device. It has the advantage of being automatic in its data display, requiring no fiddling, and having extremely good readability.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190507781853&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D190507781853%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_1542wt_912

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1299603399' post='3036857']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1299602290' post='3036809']Thanks FM, but I don't have a smart phone.[/quote]

He is referring to GolfLogix's standalone GPS built by Garmin; a numbers only device. It has the advantage of being automatic in its data display, requiring no fiddling, and having extremely good readability.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190507781853&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D190507781853%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_1542wt_912
[/quote]
That looks like a great unit. Thanks!

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1299613218' post='3037358']
[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1299603399' post='3036857']

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190507781853&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D190507781853%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_1542wt_912"]http://cgi.ebay.com/...1#ht_1542wt_912[/url]
[/quote]
That looks like a great unit. Thanks!
[/quote]

I know a number of people that bought that unit. Everyone returned it. That is a very old model (first gen) GPS that is the equal to the very first Skycaddies. You will get a lot of drift in the yardages and limited info. Between the current color Skycaddies and Callaway uPro's, (just to name a few) there are a lot better GPS units available for your money.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1299616063' post='3037477']I know a number of people that bought that unit. Everyone returned it. That is a very old model (first gen) GPS that is the equal to the very first Skycaddies. You will get a lot of drift in the yardages and limited info. Between the current color Skycaddies and Callaway uPro's, (just to name a few) there are a lot better GPS units available for your money.
[/quote]
Actually this is a 2nd gen model based on the 2nd Gen Garmin ETrex 12 channel high sensitivity receiver. I would put its reception and accuracy up against any GPS including my G5 and the uPro. In fact the ETrex uses the same receiver/antenna assembly as the G5. The difference in price is due to other things like memory, touchscreen, and feature set and supporting firmware/software.

I actually played a couple of rounds with both the GPS-8 and the uPro under reasonably adverse conditions (overcast skies on a mountainous, heavily tree lined course) and felt the GolfLogix was actually better. It is certainly built better.

While it is true it has limited features, the hardware is top notch.

Dedicated hardware GPS units are a waste these days. Every decent phone has a software version of a Golf GPS program. Actually phone versions are better due to the screen quality. And most (not all) hardware standalone units are subscription based and many software phone versions are NOT.

I say take the smartphone plunge for less than the cost of a dedicated GPS...or get the rangefinder.

(heck if I couldn't get my email and data on the road I'd be out of business)

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1299624404' post='3037925']
Dedicated hardware GPS units are a waste these days. Every decent phone has a software version of a Golf GPS program. Actually phone versions are better due to the screen quality. And most (not all) hardware standalone units are subscription based and many software phone versions are NOT.

I say take the smartphone plunge for less than the cost of a dedicated rangefinder...or get the rangefinder.

(heck if I couldn't get my email and data on the road I'd be out of business)
[/quote]
You raise some good points S2S. I may go with the rangefinder after all.

Dedicated hardware GPS units are a waste these days. Every decent phone has a software version of a Golf GPS program. Actually phone versions are better due to the screen quality. And most (not all) hardware standalone units are subscription based and many software phone versions are NOT.[/quote]
You are a obviously city dweller (cool) and not thinking about folks that don't live and play amongst cell phone towers. For these folks, a smartphone is relatively useless and spending the better part of a hundred bucks a month on it is simply not an option… hence the standalone GPS.

Granted if you already have smartphone service and paying the $60-$100/month, using a golf app is little to no extra cost and a good decision… provided you can get service on the course you play.

The dedicated GPS has a long life left. There is one issue the smartphone apps just cannot get around. They are not legal for use by USGA rules. Use a smartphone GPS in a tournament and all you will get is a DQ. They also have issues with making it through 18 holes without an auxiliary battery and accuracy can be an issue depending on the quality of the GPS chip and antenna.

And as far as the Golflogix GPS-8, Skycaddie has gone through four generations of GPS since that was released. Also Golflogix quit selling any hardware GPS. It might be difficult to get support or repairs. I will give that is it well built. For the kind of money they want for the Golflogix, you can get color GPS with most of the latest features for just a few dollars more.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1299626662' post='3038038']
Dedicated hardware GPS units are a waste these days. Every decent phone has a software version of a Golf GPS program. Actually phone versions are better due to the screen quality. And most (not all) hardware standalone units are subscription based and many software phone versions are NOT.[/quote]
You are a obviously city dweller (cool) and not thinking about folks that don't live and play amongst cell phone towers.
[/quote]

You are right - not concerned about that fraction of a fraction of people with no cell phone capability in their CITY so they don't own a mobile phone of any kind. Smartphone or otherwise.

Cell towers are not required for smartphone GPS golf apps.

if the OP is one of the less than 1% of golfers who have no cell coverage in their entire city so they don't own a phone, then point taken. But he owns a non-smartphone. He already mentioned that.

And if you can't afford a phone or smartphone plan, I recommend golfing less and investing your hard earned money somewhere other than the expense of clubs and greens fees so that one day you can retire before the age of 94.
:)

But our guy here is already mentioned he has decided on a rangefinder..so it's all moot.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1299627065' post='3038061']
The dedicated GPS has a long life left. There is one issue the smartphone apps just cannot get around. They are not legal for use by USGA rules. [/quote]

Good point. One I did not consider.

[quote]And as far as the Golflogix GPS-8, Skycaddie has gone through four generations of GPS since that was released. [/quote]

Four generations of models and feature sets. Who knows how many changes to the GPS receiver/antenna assembly itself. If they did actually update the receiver 4 times, perhaps they needed to. The Garmin receiver is top notch, no need to fix what works.

[quote]Also Golflogix quit selling any hardware GPS. It might be difficult to get support or repairs.[/quote]

It appears to me it is still supported, and cutting that off would definitely affect their revenue stream so I don't see that happening. Also, Garmin would be doing repairs, not GolfLogix.

[quote]For the kind of money they want for the Golflogix, you can get color GPS with most of the latest features for just a few dollars more.[/quote]

Agreed, I would not spend a couple of hundred bucks on this device at this time. But a couple of thoughts here:

A lot of folks don't want to be bothered with all of the new features and visibility issues of the color units. I could put the GPS-8 in a cup holder mount (or hang it from my bag) and never have to touch it for the entire round. Both me and my playing partner could (at a glance) see the yardages from both our seats and even when pulling our clubs from our bags in back of the cart. This isn't possible with the new units which require button pressing to wake from sleep, and to toggle modes.

And while the Garmin G5 is pretty automatic throughout the round, its screen is no where near as readable in all light and from all angles. I wear prescription polarized shades on the course and could not read the uPro's screen at all... almost total blockage of the LCD/lens combination.

The GPS-8 can be had in the neighborhood of $50-$100 from several sources including eBay. For folks appreciating the visibility and no fuss operation, it is still a very viable device. While it won't plot a distance to any location, in addition to the green measurements it offers 6 points on every fairway (to dogleg, to hazard, over hazard, 100-125-150 layups, end of fairway, etc.) which I think is more than adequate for a lot of folks.

While I am happy with the new G5, there will definitely be some things about this unit I will miss.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Garmin G3 and it's a breeze to sync with my MacBook Pro. It's also a great unit and is made very well. I too had the smartphone GPS on my Droid and while it was good, my phone also got scratched up and very dirty from being in play with me. Verizon just upped their insurance deductible to $75 if something other than manufacturer defect happens (i.e. you drop it in water) so that's why I went to the standalone GPS. Also, I will be upgrading to the next gen iPhone whenever that comes out and don't want that out on the course with me.

Taylormade Sim2 8* HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
Cobra RAD Speed 3W HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5
Callaway XR16 5W 18* Kuro Kage TiNi X 
Srixon Z565 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50*
Titleist SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Ping Kushin Sigma

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='volrus' timestamp='1303174920' post='3165846']
Can someone tell me where to download the software for the Garmin G5 for a mac?
[/quote]
You can find webupdater here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-27

[size="2"][hr]
[color="#2E8B57"]Do you have a Garmin Approach G5 or G3? Check out [url="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/approach-stats/id430238846?mt=12&ls=1#"]Approach Stats[/url]![/size][/color]