Anybody played the Blue Monster at Doral?

Bubb

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is any round worth that? I'd say there are only a few courses on the planet, once in a lifetime adventures, that would be worth those costs imo. there's just way too many great golf courses in the US in the 100 dollar or less range... and with the difference you can play 2 more times.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

no but we played whistling straights in wisconsin last summer and they were 385. like the above post said is any course worth that? probably not, but its the thrill you get setting foot on a course where theres been alot of memorable moments on. go for it if you have the money, youll enjoy and have a piece of mind many will never have.

TM M1 460 9.5* Matrix BT 6M3 X
TM M1 15* Aldila Rogue Black X
Cobra King Pro MB 2-Pw C-taper 130 X
Callaway MD3 52* S Grind
Callaway MD3 58* S Grind
Odyssey MXM Versa #1

325 bucks is a lot of cash, but look at it this way:

Golf is one of the very few, if perhaps the only, sport where you can, for a price, play on the very same turf as some of the "greatest moments in golf" took place.

We'll most likely never get a base hit in Yankee Stadium, most likely never catch a TD pass in Rose Bowl Stadium, most likely never turn a lap at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but for a price we can pay for a chance to recreate some pretty awesome Major championship moments, but if not for much less 'tourney style' course conditions.

I'm a mark for most sports and with golf it is pretty cool that we as common folk can play the same courses as the pro's.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

really good points. the only thing is, we all end up playing from tees forward of the pro events with a tourist course setup, so we really never get to recreate much of anything.... but it's fun... and makes for nice bragging rights.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1299823946' post='3045792']
325 bucks is a lot of cash, but look at it this way:

Golf is one of the very few, if perhaps the only, sport where you can, for a price, play on the very same turf as some of the "greatest moments in golf" took place.

We'll most likely never get a base hit in Yankee Stadium, most likely never catch a TD pass in Rose Bowl Stadium, most likely never turn a lap at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but for a price we can pay for a chance to recreate some pretty awesome Major championship moments, but if not for much less 'tourney style' course conditions.

I'm a mark for most sports and with golf it is pretty cool that we as common folk can play the same courses as the pro's.
[/quote]
I would pay that much for some courses, but I just don't think Doral is among them. It's the one course that really stands out to me where the green fee seems to be out of whack. Put it in Mississippi and you'd be lucky to get $100.

Played several years ago, don't remember paying that much...wanna say paid around $200. Great shape, Yes... typical boring flat course, yes...So to answer your question, No, not at $325.

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

I'm amazed people pay $100 or more to play courses where I am a member. The vacation or passers through would save hundreds by booking in advance for more than one round. Golf mag named The Judge second hardest opening hole in the country! I agree with others, not worth it IMO...maybe some of the Kohler courses or Pebble, Spyglass. Heck, Pasatiempo is supposed to be awesome and it's half $325.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Very few courses are worth multiple $100s for green fees, $325 is more than I pay for monthly dues at my club. I'm curious what the cost is to play the other courses at Doral. From the images I saw on TV last night, the course conditioning didn't seem very impressive. I guess they have to justify the TPC moniker that is now part of the name.

Since I've already played it a half dozen times, I wouldn't pay more than $100 to play there.

I'd say the course itself is worth about $75 (as others have stated it's nothing special), and the fact that it's a regular tour stop with some history adds another $50. So I'd say it's worth about $125. I think anyone who plays it for > $200 is wasting their money unless they can get it the week before or after the event. A large part of the year it's in rather poor condition for a high end resort course that's also a regular tour stop.

I think PGA National, Weston Hills, and Eagle Trace (current and former Honda sites) are all better tracks.

I worked across the street for Eastern Airlines in the late 80's early 90's and played it every week in a league for 10 bucks (9 holes). The greens are grainy as hell in the summer and the employees are pretty darn rude. Went back a few years ago and played in the Golfweek Father and Son Championship and the greens were uber grainy and the course was in just ok condition. The driving range is weak too. Not worth more than 100 bucks in my book. I will say this, when the wind blows it is a tough track. I played the Golfweek event with an injured finger and the course tore me up!

Whether it is worth it or not depends on what else you might "need" the money for.

If you've got the bucks, and you like to play where the big boy's play, it's there for you. But places like Harbour Town are a better deal.

Miami is one of the few places in the continental United States that's likely to be warm in January or February, so don't count it out then!

My only Ace was made on #9 at this course...great memories, but the course is very over-rated. Not a fan of many S. Florida courses. This is not any more impressive to play, as it looks on TV.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

[quote name='Sushiyoshi' timestamp='1299867142' post='3046678']
$325 = three rounds at any of the four courses at Bandon during off season

I am sure I would enjoy that more than one round at Doral.
[/quote]
amen brother, amen.

I played the Blue monster 4 times during a weeks vacation there. Like the rest of Florida, flat and boring, just like Ellen.

I enjoy my rounds at Bandon Dunes about 100 times more.

[quote name='TML' timestamp='1299895105' post='3047810']
[quote name='Sushiyoshi' timestamp='1299867142' post='3046678']
$325 = three rounds at any of the four courses at Bandon during off season

I am sure I would enjoy that more than one round at Doral.
[/quote]
amen brother, amen.

I played the Blue monster 4 times during a weeks vacation there. Like the rest of Florida, flat and boring, just like Ellen.

I enjoy my rounds at Bandon Dunes about 100 times more.
[/quote]

Having great weather year round does get kind of boring.

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1299846482' post='3046011']
I'm amazed people pay $100 or more to play courses where I am a member. The vacation or passers through would save hundreds by booking in advance for more than one round. Golf mag named The Judge second hardest opening hole in the country! I agree with others, not worth it IMO...maybe some of the Kohler courses or Pebble, Spyglass. Heck, Pasatiempo is supposed to be awesome and it's half $325.
[/quote]

The Kohler courses are overpriced IMO. I think Blackwolf Run is actually more appealing to play and more of a challenge. My favorite set up(yet worst round of my life) was on the Blackwolf Run course set up to the old Championship layout for a high school tournament. I really enjoyed the sightlines and different shots you had to hit there.

I have not yet played the Straits course. I also enjoy The Bull at Pinehurst Farms, which is a Jack Nicklaus design. I think you can play there for under 80 and it is just as much of a challenge.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS Driver with Graphite Design Tour AD UB 6X
Callaway Paradym 3 Wood with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7TX
Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 5 Wood with Graphite Design Tour AD DJ 7TX
Callaway Rogue ST Pro Hybrid with Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
Callaway Paradym 5-AW with VA Composites Synystr 110X Shafts
Callaway Paradym GW with Mitsubishi Chemical MMT 105TX
Callaway CB 56* with Mitsubishi Chemical MMT 105TX
Toulon Garage Daytona Beach Putter

Callaway Tour 300 Laser Rangefinder

I played it the week before this tournament (March 2, 2011) and it was $350 I think (maybe that's with tax).

The stands were cool, the scene was awesome. The rough wasn't easy, and the greens were perfect.

The course, other than being recognizable and special because of its long ties to the tour... was a Florida special. Flat and largely unremarkable.

The White Course had absolutely NO rough and was quite the contrast... and was $150 less per round.

If I had the spare change perhaps but a bit steep for my taste especially with our economy right now!!

I do highly recommend that you play a course the week after a tour tournament has been there whether it be the PGA, Nationwide or LPGA since most courses will leave it set up in tour condition. I've done it a few years back at the RTJ course in Auburn where the Nike Tour played as well as Callaway Gardens after the PGA Tour. No we didn't play it from the tips but the rough was rough and the greens were smoking. It will give you a bit more respect for the tour guys ability and how bad mine was!! :good:

C'ya

Since I've been playing golf for a long time, I've been fortunate to have played lot of great courses and at "reasonable" prices, e.g. St. Andrews for 7 pounds in the '80s, then 35 pounds or so, and, I think, 110 pounds the last time; also, Pebble Beach for something like $50, $175 and finally, $475. I said "finally" because I recall a few years ago a PB exec mentioned that they thought demand was inelastic up to around $500 and have followed that policy. Apparently The Old Course and Pinehurst #2 have adopted the same "whatever the market will bear" pricing strategy for visitors. Personally, I think PB, with its poor greens and slow play is not worth it anymore. I guess the Old Course, Pinehurst #2 (and PB) are still on most golfers' "bucket list", so they have to be played at least once. There are great courses that would also be worth a premium green fee to me; no doubt Augusta National and a few others that I haven't played yet would be on such a list.

However, Doral is not even close to being worth a premium price in my opinion. I was recently in Miami and made NO effort to play Doral...and I used to stay there sometimes in order to play tennis and golf when on a business trip. The Blue course, like so many in Florida, just isn't that special in my opinion. For what it's worth, most courses in Las Vegas also seem to embrace the "premium price for mediocre quality" pricing strategy for visitors. Apparently, the resorts know that when people are on vacation, they tend to have a "what the hell, it's only money" attitude when it come to spending money on golf (or other things).

The funny thing is, many of the truly great private clubs which I have played, and for which I [u]would[/u] have paid a significant guest fee, such as Cypress Point and Pine Valley, didn't have green fees that were [i]that[/i] exorbitant. I'm pretty sure the membership dues and guest fee at ANGC are not all that high. It's all about knowing someone who will invite you and them knowing that you are a good guy and fit in with the other members and guests. Sometimes and your host even absorbs the guest fee (or you otherwise reciprocate in some way). The courses for the nouveau riche, such as the things Trump builds, attempt to have an aura of exclusivity and "class" by simply being expensive. Having a lot of money, by itself, won't get you a membership at Cypress Point, Pine Valley, or Merion. Fortunately, most of us can find a club that's a good fit-- congenial members, quality course, and reasonable cost.

[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' timestamp='1299958711' post='3049326']
Since I've been playing golf for a long time, I've been fortunate to have played lot of great courses and at "reasonable" prices, e.g. St. Andrews for 7 pounds in the '80s, then 35 pounds or so, and, I think, 110 pounds the last time; also, Pebble Beach for something like $50, $175 and finally, $475. I said "finally" because I recall a few years ago a PB exec mentioned that they thought demand was inelastic up to around $500 and have followed that policy. Apparently The Old Course and Pinehurst #2 have adopted the same "whatever the market will bear" pricing strategy for visitors. Personally, I think PB, with its poor greens and slow play is not worth it anymore. I guess the Old Course, Pinehurst #2 (and PB) are still on most golfers' "bucket list", so they have to be played at least once. There are great courses that would also be worth a premium green fee to me; no doubt Augusta National and a few others that I haven't played yet would be on such a list.

However, Doral is not even close to being worth a premium price in my opinion. I was recently in Miami and made NO effort to play Doral...and I used to stay there sometimes in order to play tennis and golf when on a business trip. The Blue course, like so many in Florida, just isn't that special in my opinion. For what it's worth, most courses in Las Vegas also seem to embrace the "premium price for mediocre quality" pricing strategy for visitors. Apparently, the resorts know that when people are on vacation, they tend to have a "what the hell, it's only money" attitude when it come to spending money on golf (or other things).

The funny thing is, many of the truly great private clubs which I have played, and for which I [u]would[/u] have paid a significant guest fee, such as Cypress Point and Pine Valley, didn't have green fees that were [i]that[/i] exorbitant. I'm pretty sure the membership dues and guest fee at ANGC are not all that high. It's all about knowing someone who will invite you and them knowing that you are a good guy and fit in with the other members and guests. Sometimes and your host even absorbs the guest fee (or you otherwise reciprocate in some way). The courses for the nouveau riche, such as the things Trump builds, attempt to have an aura of exclusivity and "class" by simply being expensive. Having a lot of money, by itself, won't get you a membership at Cypress Point, Pine Valley, or Merion. Fortunately, most of us can find a club that's a good fit-- congenial members, quality course, and reasonable cost.
[/quote]

The guest rate at Augusta is under $100 my host told me (you have to play with a member), couldn't get initiation nor dues info out of him. Cypress is around $100 for accompanied guests, free for Class As...dont wear shorts, they're not allowed. The Blue Monster is fun, but not for $300 IMO...summertime you can get on for about half that.