2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Best Public Course in Houston Area...

rocker40

[quote name='cpriceAP2' timestamp='1397783553' post='9115593']
[quote name='jrsharp21' timestamp='1397761396' post='9113401']
Played in a scramble at Cinco Ranch yesterday afternoon. Course was in pretty good shape. The tee boxes and greens were really nice. They are redoing a lot of traps out there. So while we were playing they had crews working in the traps on several holes. That was my first time playing that course. If you have not played that course before you can definitely get into trouble by not knowing where to hit the ball. Several times yesterday I had a great drive only to drive out and discover that water comes into play at the end of the fairway or the fairway ends into a ditch.
[/quote]

#11 gets a lot of people off the tee and #15 is another one you need to know how much of the corner to cut off. Glad you enjoyed it. I live about a block from 13 tee
[/quote]

#11 was our first hole. Absolutely bombed my drive....into the water in front of the green. Lol.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Skyjunky' timestamp='1400559556' post='9329255']
Goat track
[/quote]

It can be hit and miss there. Last summer it was in really nice shape. Greens were really nice and fairways were pretty good.

I actually went and played there yesterday after work. The other thing about this course is that it is either dead or really crowded. Never in between. Surprised how many people were on the course yesterday at 6pm. I ended up playing 9 in about an hour and 15 minutes because a bunch of groups let me play through. But then just gave up. Lots of people on the next hole with a 5-some teeing off. But the course was not in the best shape I have seen it. Fairways were bare and it was a lot of dirtpan. Greens were hit and miss. There were some in good shape and some where shaggy. Hopefully they get the course back to what it was last summer.

Any recommendations for a somewhat reasonably priced public course in good condition in the Houston Area this weekend? I'll be visiting family for the Memorial Day weekend (staying in the Heights area) and would like to get a round in with my wife.

Would prefer not to have to drive more than 30 minutes any direction...

• 4 weeks later...

Not a course report but closing of a shop. Went to the Woodlands Golf Center today to spend the $150 in gift cards I have. Pulled up to the shop only to find it deserted. Signs are on the door that you can use the bathroom and water fountain inside and to get balls from an automated dispenser near the range. I didn't check the machine to see if I could use my gift card in it, but if not, I am out $150. Looked on their online store and it doesn't look like it's been updated in years.

Played Newport Golf Club out in Crosby last week for the first time. I'd recommend the drive if you live inside the loop or on the east side of town.

Rates can be had for as little as $22 pp for premium times. A couple of the greens were not in the best shape but the others tended to roll true. The course itself was in great shape excluding said greens and some of the bunkers which needed more sand.

I'll be going out there more often at that price.

P.S. Range balls came in a plastic grocery sack - that was a first.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an course update for cinco ranch. Haven't played there for a while 1+ years cause the last time I went there, the conditions were just plain terrible. Told myself I wouldn't be playing there for awhile but decided to try it once again yesterday. I must say, they've done a great job improving the conditions there from the last time I've played there. Everything was nice from lush fairways to nice greens. Just wanted to let people know.

[quote name='xplyboy' timestamp='1404432517' post='9633783']
Just an course update for cinco ranch. Haven't played there for a while 1+ years cause the last time I went there, the conditions were just plain terrible. Told myself I wouldn't be playing there for awhile but decided to try it once again yesterday. I must say, they've done a great job improving the conditions there from the last time I've played there. Everything was nice from lush fairways to nice greens. Just wanted to let people know.
[/quote]
We have a big Houston Facebook page 100+ members, I recommend you join if you have not already. We had a big outing 25+ members back in May at Cinco and it was in great shape, they were workin on the bunkers on the back
9 but they are finish now and with the recent rain can only imagine it's in even greater shape.

[quote name='jflores8' timestamp='1404787930' post='9657001']
[/quote]
We have a big Houston Facebook page 100+ members, I recommend you join if you have not already. We had a big outing 25+ members back in May at Cinco and it was in great shape, they were workin on the bunkers on the back
9 but they are finish now and with the recent rain can only imagine it's in even greater shape.
[/quote]

Thank you but I'm probably one of a million who do not go on to Facebook. I don't even have an account.

• 3 weeks later...

[/quote]
[/quote]Where's the next one going to be? PM me when we you guys get something together as I don't have facebook

PK

Taylormade R1 10°
Taylormade RBZ 15°
Titleist TSI3 20°

Ping S55 3-P
Vokey SM9 52° 58°

Bettinardi Studio Stock 9

[quote name='pkwilli1999' timestamp='1406140271' post='9768749']
[/quote]
[/quote]Where's the next one going to be? PM me when we you guys get something together as I don't have facebook

PK
[/quote]

Will do man, next one is in August at Lake Windcrest and then September at Deerwood. I really recommend you get a FB a lot easier to get in contact than having to PM. Anyways I think those outings are full but should they open up I will pm you.

I thought Windcrest was in good shape. Greens were firm but rolled well.

Played Panther Trail after work today and the greens were horrible. They had obviously been punched recently so they were hard and sandy. But they were also torn up. Don't know if a herd of people wearing metal spikes came through there or what but there were holes, turf torn up, the surface around the cup caved in, divot marks everywhere. They were really jacked up. And the fringe was pretty worse for wear also. It really did look like someone with spikes had just dragged their feet up and down the greens and fringe.

Also, there is a temp green on 18 as they are redoing the island green. The temp green is a circle about 10 feet wide and there is about 12 inch cup as the hole.

Panther Trail was just punched last week so it will be another week or so before i would play out there. They had some issues with weeds growing on the fringe and i thought they had it under control but it has been about a month since i have played out there. They had to move the 18th green because of the new steak restaurant they built for the hotel and thought the green was too close to it. They are shooting for Labor Day for the completion of the new green.

Do you guys have any suggestions on courses to take kids? My son, 9, is a pretty decent golfer for his age. He is really bored with the range and wants to go actually play. Last summer when we were playing, we had a tough time finding a course that we could play on without holding up people behind us. I try to take him at the end of the day (6pm-ish). I figured that there wouldn't be a bunch of people on the course and we would be able to take our time as he played the hole out. But what we found was that golfers were coming out around that time and wanting to speed through the course to play as many holes as possible. Are there any par 3 courses or short courses in the area that may be good to take a kid to play at?

Played Cinco ranch on Friday. They put too many golfer's on the course. Tee times are too close together, then they send marshalls out to try to push people along. One tee box had group waiting to hit, we were waiting on them and a third group was behind us. SFA is pretty kid friendly, just avoid money game Wednesday and Saturday. They get busy during those times.

[quote name='Flashman' timestamp='1407194776' post='9857575']
Played Cinco ranch on Friday. They put too many golfer's on the course. Tee times are too close together, then they send marshalls out to try to push people along. One tee box had group waiting to hit, we were waiting on them and a third group was behind us. SEA is pretty kid friendly, just avoid money game Wednesday and Saturday. They get busy during those times.
[/quote]

What course is SEA?

[quote name='jrsharp21' timestamp='1406927027' post='9835579']
Do you guys have any suggestions on courses to take kids? My son, 9, is a pretty decent golfer for his age. He is really bored with the range and wants to go actually play. Last summer when we were playing, we had a tough time finding a course that we could play on without holding up people behind us. I try to take him at the end of the day (6pm-ish). I figured that there wouldn't be a bunch of people on the course and we would be able to take our time as he played the hole out. But what we found was that golfers were coming out around that time and wanting to speed through the course to play as many holes as possible. Are there any par 3 courses or short courses in the area that may be good to take a kid to play at?
[/quote]

Red Wolf in Huffman would be perfect, especially a weekday around that time, wouldn't be crowded at all, take you less than an hour from the WL's taking 242 to 1485 (its right off 1485). They've come a long way with that course, always had good greens, but they are fantastic right now, running fast and true, I was comparing them to KWCC the other day. Great lay out, always has been, only issue with that course is they don't water the f/ways as much as they should and they can get alittle hard at times, but with all this rain, they are pretty darn good as well, we play there every weekend (can get crowded then though). GF's should be around $20 for you, and $13 for your boy.

In case anyone is interested. River Plantation is offering an introductory membership right now. It's a year contract. $250 initiation fee. The fees for the first 7 months are $150 and is good for the whole family. In March 2015 you have to select your level of membership, $239 for a single or $299 for a family. There is no further initiation fee due. If you join this week they waive the August fees.

[quote name='cjblake09' timestamp='1407549384' post='9892499']
I am sure you have looked into it but what is wrong with Cannongate? Played this afternoon by myself and played 9 holes in about an hour and played two balls. Easy and close and they are redoing the mens locker room and the food at the restaurant is good.
[/quote]

Nothing at all wrong with Cannongate. Played several of the courses this year and they've all been in good shape.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2