2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tennis Elbow Surgery

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to read tales from folks who are suffering wrist and elbo tendonitis. I went through a really serious bout of it about 25 years ago. At that time I had beeen hitting the old Black Band Dynamic
shaft. Got to where I couldnt practice at all, and could hardly make it through 18 holes. Went to tour weight graphites. Helped some, but no consistency in the shafts. One day I happened to be playing with a gentleman who turned out to be a Sports Doc. involved in rehab. work with tennis pros. To make a long story short. He gave me a set of stretching excercises, which can now be found on the web, look up tendonitis elbow. since then, by dilligently doing the stretching suggested, I haven't had any problems. since. It took about 6 weeks to alleviate my pain and infamation. I'm now 74,
hit 6-800 balls a week during the season, along with playing at least 4 days a week. and have NO elbow or wrist problems of any kind. I have know way of knowing if this will help anyone else, but it damn sure worked for me. This injury almost drove me out of the game, and I really hate it. Good luck to all suffering with it :good: .

[quote name='oldcarl' timestamp='1301284369' post='3095070']
I hate to read tales from folks who are suffering wrist and elbo tendonitis. I went through a really serious bout of it about 25 years ago. At that time I had beeen hitting the old Black Band Dynamic
shaft. Got to where I couldnt practice at all, and could hardly make it through 18 holes. Went to tour weight graphites. Helped some, but no consistency in the shafts. One day I happened to be playing with a gentleman who turned out to be a Sports Doc. involved in rehab. work with tennis pros. To make a long story short. He gave me a set of stretching excercises, which can now be found on the web, look up tendonitis elbow. since then, by dilligently doing the stretching suggested, I haven't had any problems. since. It took about 6 weeks to alleviate my pain and infamation. I'm now 74,
hit 6-800 balls a week during the season, along with playing at least 4 days a week. and have NO elbow or wrist problems of any kind. I have know way of knowing if this will help anyone else, but it damn sure worked for me. This injury almost drove me out of the game, and I really hate it. Good luck to all suffering with it :good: .
[/quote]

I to was afflicted with this aliment, and was ready to quit. One day, while trying to make my left elbow hurt less, I started twisting and stretching my hand/wrist, and the pain started to ebb. Continued for a few weeks, and I could actually grip a club again! Been doing the stretching/twisting exercises on both arms, and have been pain free for about two years now. Back to playing every weekend! :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

[quote name='scifisicko' timestamp='1301365323' post='3098043']
left wrist and right elbow, played for nearly a year with pain, index went out 3 shots, got a home vibragym (vibrating plate) do 10 minutes of stretching on it each day, injuries are still there but pain is way less and completely tolerable. No impairment and have got 4 shots back.
[/quote]

That sounds like something Id like to learn mroe about. What model do you use? What stretches would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

This is well worth the read:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/

The Flexbar is available through Amazon

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Wow - the surgery is a pretty radical step, actually - my ortho guy said it basically only had a 60% chance of fixing it, so I went with intensive PT - which worked wonders. Basically, they get the inflammation down (takes a while), then get you stronger. The surgeon I talked to (one of the best - works with the pro sports teams in Chicago) said it wasn't a very good option, actually, for anyone.

Looks like you'll be inactive for a while - my sympathies. My advice would be to rehap exactly as they prescribe and not try to push it until they say you can. Best of luck.

Tried playing with the pain and had 3 shots over several months. I was to the point that I could not pick up a cup of coffee. I went to a ortho surgeon and when they opened up my elbow the tendon was hardly attached to the bone. It took around 8 months before I started to hit balls again,but it has been fine.

I played only 9 holes in 2010 because of tennis elbow in the left arm. I had 2 locations affected and it was a b*tch. I had golfers elbow (inner) in the right arm 5 years ago and was able to heal with self-treatment (heat, stretching and icing 3-5X/day). For my left elbow, I learned all I could about trigger points and approached it that way with self massage, but I hooked up with my massage therapist who, indecently, has many clients with similar issues (painters, plumbers, etc). I was 95% healed in about 5 visits, unfortunately it was also late-October and the season was lost. Then I turned 50, LOL.

Sympathy to all who suffer this.... please search out all possible non-surgical treatment first.

Mark

[quote name='matthewsiv' timestamp='1302316639' post='3134710']
I am now in rehab and have found that I now have golfers elbow as well.

Apparently the two are connected?

Anyway,heat treatment,cold laser,ultrasound and massage for me for the next month.
[/quote]

Yup. That sounds like typical rehab for tendons and ligaments. I'm in week 4 of this for my ankle (don't ask). All I can say is it won't cost me the golf season as tennis elbow did in 2010. Hang in there, work the rehab process to the letter. Best of luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='timliddy' timestamp='1309709809' post='3361295']
I also think that taking any c[i][size="2"]holesterol medicine can aggravate elbow ligaments. I know when I take any type of statins, like (Lipitor, Crestor, Zocor, etc.) I am curious if any other golfers have noticed this ligament ache when taking these cholesterol drugs.[/size][/i]
[/quote]

I would like to know the answer to this as well

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

[quote name='matthewsiv' timestamp='1301243966' post='3092949']
I have just had tennis elbow surgery.

They took out part of the tendon.

How long will it be before I can play again?

How long did it take for you to straighten your arm?

Any idea's to quicken the rehab process?

Thanks for answering.
[/quote]

I had it done. It hurt like hell for the first couple of weeks. I was back playing with a brace in 7 weeks. My surgery turned out very well. It's been 8 years and I have been pain free since about 6 months after the surgery. I don't need the brace anymore either. Before the surgery, I had pain for several years. I had 3 or four injections and they would help for a month or two. One day I was pushing on something and felt something snap in the elbow. It was kind of like a rubber band breaking. My arm went numb for several minutes. I went to the Dr. and he said the tendon had torn away from the bone. He reattached it and the rest is history. Do what the Dr. tells you and don"t rush back too soon. Good Luck with your recovery.

Ping G 10*- 44.5" Adjusted to 11*
Ping i3OS 4 thru UW
Cobra SS 5 wood

Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* -SW
Ping Redwood- 34"
Callaway Supersoft

I've been sidelined for two years because of this in my right elbow. Went through nerve conductive tests, Vitamin B injections, Vitamin D prescriptions , Plasma Rich inject therapy, acupuncture, everything.... short of the knife. Then, 2 months ago after being tired of it, I did what wrmiller did. I said the hell with it and started a VERY aggressive stretch and rotation... felt like stuff was cracking in there, but it finally disappeared. Been great the past 2 months and I'm back playing (rusty, but playing). I DO NOT recommend this as it might have been the fact that I cut all sodas and all beer/mixed drinks out of my diet 3 months ago thinking it might be from the cokes... (never was a big drinker of beer or the hard stuff)... so, who knows what it was... but for two years, it sucked.

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1309728459' post='3361842']
I also think that taking any c[i][size="2"]holesterol medicine can aggravate elbow ligaments. I know when I take any type of statins, like (Lipitor, Crestor, Zocor, etc.) I am curious if any other golfers have noticed this ligament ache when taking these cholesterol drugs.[/size][/i]
[/quote]

I would like to know the answer to this as well
[/quote]

[size="4"]I started taking Crestor in late 2007 and both elbows started to hurt about the same time. I never thought about it. My right shoulder started hurting in 2008 and by mid 2010 I stopped playing golf. Had a partially torn rotator which was repaired in Jan 2011. I am about 85% now but is still hurts. My left shoulder started to hurt in 2011. And by early 2012 both elbows are just horrible.

So I asked my docs and several docs I play golf with this very question. Every one of them said that statins give some people muscle problems but not tendon problems. And they say that the problems start right away. So no, it does not appear that there is any solid science behind tendon problems and statins.

But dang, I am starting to wonder. My shoulder and elbow tendons seem to be falling apart. Wrists, fingers, knees, ankles, etc. are all fine. And yes, I am still on Crestor.

Anybody else on statins have serious tendon problems?[/size]

• 1 year later...

Thread back from the dead. So in late January 2013 I go to my doctor for an annual exam. I complain about my chronic elbow tendinitis (again). He says that there have been some recent studies linking statins to tendon pain. And he says he has had some patients stop taking statins and their tendon pain has gone away.

So he tells me to stop taking Crestor for 3 weeks and see what happens. Three weeks later, the pain is not gone but has lessened substantially. After 2 months, hardly any pain. Three months now and only the occasional flare up. Mostly pain free.

If you have chronic tendon pain and are on statins, talk to your doctor. My blood is fat but my elbows don't hurt!

I also think that taking any cholesterol medicine can aggravate elbow ligaments. I know when started taking statins (Lipitor, Crestor, Zocor, etc.) I started to have tendon issues. I am curious if any other golfers have noticed this ligament ache when taking these cholesterol drugs.
[/quote]
Lipitor caused severe Plantar Fasciitus in both feet. I changed to Crestor and within a month my feet were normal. I've been on Crestor for a couple of years and have noticed mild pain in hands, elbows and shoulders. It's way better than the feet were, so I guess I can live with it.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat