KBS TOUR 'C-TAPER' Iron Shafts: First LOOK and Review!

Metalhead

[quote name='Metalhead' timestamp='1303494239' post='3176820']
[quote name='SALUKI LEFTY' timestamp='1303445485' post='3175792']
nice review.

are these alot different than regular KBS Tours?
[/quote]

I don't have alot of experience with the Reg. KBS Tours, but I have hit them and the C-tapers feel uniquely different from the Tour, lower spin and lower ballflight.

[quote name='PKMillerJr' timestamp='1303491952' post='3176708']
How did these shafts compare in stiffness to TT DGX100?

Are these S or S+?
[/quote]

As stated in the review these are S+ :busted2: , and stiffness wise they feel pretty close to both the PX 6.5 and X100 in my hands..
[/quote]

Yes your review says S+ but the shaft bands says S and 120 gram weight. S+ is 125 grams and X is 130 grams. The pictures and review are inconsistent.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple questions? Are u going to keep these or switch back to the px? Are they the shafts that are going to end ur shaft searching (ho-ing).I would like to c these compared to the super blues or the modus3 tourx. So many decisions..... I just picked up a set of sb-1 dw that need some shafts. Have u got to play any more rounds with them????? Thanks

[quote name='deep18' timestamp='1303666277' post='3181577']
So is the idea that these are playing about 1/2 flex stiffer than marked (5.5 more like 6.0 and so on) much like PX? That's what it sounds like if the 6.0's are close to DGX100's (6.8 on the rifle scale).
[/quote]

as more people try these opinions will vary I'm sure, but for the record I would say the S+ plays like PX 6.3...in between the 6.0 and 6.5...at least too me.

Looks like they are not staying in your bag? They are on Ebay right now.... Why not?

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

Looks like they are not staying in your bag? They are on Ebay right now.... Why not?

busted2.gif

I just put my final thoughts into the review...and honestly the feel of the shafts is so unique(in a good way) but really confused me at times in terms of what I was seeing and expereincing and because of that it took me awhile to come to the understanding that the S+ are really under flex in comparison to the shafts I have been playing in spite of the fact that they did feel comparable...and just as KBS suggested the X-flex is likely a better fit to the DG x100 and PX 6.5. Which now that I have spent several round with C-tapers and really see what I have been missing in terms of feel and workability with the PX's...in order to have those qualities you need a bit more spin and couple that with being slightly under flexed I was losing my standard distances, which makes sense but it took me a while to come to this conclusion. So I need to hunt down another set of C-tapers, but this time in X-flex, which should put the distance back to where I have been.

busted2.gif

I just put my final thoughts into the review...and honestly the feel of the shafts is so unique(in a good way) but really confused me at times in terms of what I was seeing and expereincing and because of that it took me awhile to come to the understanding that the S+ are really under flex in comparison to the shafts I have been playing in spite of the fact that they did feel comparable...and just as KBS suggested the X-flex is likely a better fit to the DG x100 and PX 6.5. Which now that I have spent several round with C-tapers and really see what I have been missing in terms of feel and workability with the PX's...in order to have those qualities you need a bit more spin and couple that with being slightly under flexed I was losing my standard distances, which makes sense but it took me a while to come to this conclusion. So I need to hunt down another set of C-tapers, but this time in X-flex, which should put the distance back to where I have been.

Haha, wow, everyone calling you out for having them on the bay. Thanks for the comments and reviews and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the X-flex version eventually. I'm an X-flex KBS guy myself so I'm keeping a close eye on these things to see if I should give them a try myself.

Again, I was told that S+ is a 6.0 on the rifle scale and X is 6.5 on the rifle scale. If this is correct then X would be around PX 6.0.

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

great review metalhead! I want some of these!!!!!!!!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1303961209' post='3192272']
They should be compared to the Nippon Blue Super peeings..And not PX or DG..I doubt any shaft can hold a candle to the Peenings.
[/quote]

not trying to call you out or anything but wouldn't you judge this by the acceptance of the best players is the world? DG would hold a candle high above the rest if that is the ultimate test... more guys on the PGA tour play DG than any other, not even close.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1303961209' post='3192272']
They should be compared to the Nippon Blue Super peeings.
[/quote]

Peeings? Ewww.

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

[quote name='golfyoda' timestamp='1304355000' post='3202124']
Metalhead,

Sometimes the PX can be described as harsh, how are the vibrations on the C-Tapers?...:)
[/quote]

When flushed, buttery. Shot goes right up the shaftline and feels great.

PX is just solid, flat out solid.
C-Tapers are much more lively feeling.

Everybody relax, I’m here

Metalhead,

Sometimes the PX can be described as harsh, how are the vibrations on the C-Tapers?...:)

When flushed, buttery. Shot goes right up the shaftline and feels great.

PX is just solid, flat out solid.

C-Tapers are much more lively feeling.

I just got goosebumps... yahoo.gif

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

Metalhead,

[/quote]

The first time i every played the PX I found them super harsh too...and for about a year I wouldn't even try them again because of that, I discovered I had tried the wrong flex, and once I revisited them I never looked back and they haven't felt that way to me since...so take this in account in regards of the C-tapers... I found that they had a PX type feel...more so than DG, but I really had some adjustments to make in terms of Feel and Sound for me...in fact I often didn't know how I had hit the ball until I looked up to see the results, which made it all the more difficult to access the performance.... they are lively but very very muted too me.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1303840586' post='3187367']
Again, I was told that S+ is a 6.0 on the rifle scale and X is 6.5 on the rifle scale. If this is correct then X would be around PX 6.0.
[/quote]

I have the c-tapers -Stiff in a set of Adams pro A12 and at first thought they were too stiff. I had one range session and fit a few in a practice round. It was all of 45* both days and I was wondering if I made the right move. Too stiff? Not enough spin to keep the ball in the air? High launching and did I say they were laking the extra 5% carry. Not to worry, temps got into the mid 60's on Sunday and I had a chance to hit a number of shots. My take away with the c-tapers......Launch same as the KBS Tours I was playing, carry distance seemed to be the same, but the big plus for me was the ability to knock down shots. These shafts are not for everyone, try before you buy, but if they fit your swing profile they may be the last set of shafts you will want to use.

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

[quote name='Metalhead' timestamp='1304448237' post='3205122']
Metalhead,

[/quote]

The first time i every played the PX I found them super harsh too...and for about a year I wouldn't even try them again because of that, I discovered I had tried the wrong flex, and once I revisited them I never looked back and they haven't felt that way to me since...so take this in account in regards of the C-tapers... I found that they had a PX type feel...more so than DG, but I really had some adjustments to make in terms of Feel and Sound for me...in fact I often didn't know how I had hit the ball until I looked up to see the results, which made it all the more difficult to access the performance.... they are lively but very very muted too me.
[/quote]

I was gonna reply sooner to add my 2cents:

C-Tapers feel almost exactly like RIFLEs. Not PX, but the original RIFLE blanks.
As for stiffness, they play much softer than the Specs say. Even if it says X, it feels like S, because they are extremely smooth.

If you have never played RIFLE, you wouldn't know how to describe it.

they are very tip stiff, but they still have a feel. they definitely have a kick to them and again they are the most solid irons ive ever played

Ping G410 LST - Tensei Pro Orange 60tx
Tour Issue Rogue SZ 16.5°- Tensei Pro Blue 80TX Yonex Ezone CB 4-pw - Nippon Modus 3 120x
50° and 55° Titleist SM8
61° Taylormade Hi -Toe 
Odyssey Dualforce 330

Few questions as I'm brand new to this forum. I just play golf and honestly know nothing about shafts. I am a very high ball hitter and always just look for feel and trajectory when it comes to picking my clubs.

I recently hit the TM MC's with C Tapers in them and they felt great. But that was just into a net at Golf Galaxy. This week I hit the AP2's with C taper S's and S+'s in them and the numbers were staggering. My buddy is a pro and a Titleist rep so I trust him and his launch monitor. Although I almost asked him if this thing is right and/or if it needed to be calibrated.

I have Cally X forged from 2007 with PX 6.5's, 2* upright, 1/4" over. I've been playing these for almost 6 years and loving them. But my Titleist buddy said I needed to try the C Tapers. He hits it really high and so pure and he's playing the S's. He said he liked to play soft irons because he doesn't typically swing 100%.

He also said nobody plays the C tapers in X flex, not even most pros. I don't know how true that is but anyway.

I'm reading this and seeing you're saying the S+'s were too soft for you and you're going to the X.

My launch #'s with the AP2 6i in the C Taper S on the launch monitor were 138MPH ball speed, 17* launch (If I recall launch angle correctly) and my carry was 200-203.

Maybe I was getting tired or just making bad swings but then I tried the S+, 1/2" over standard (I think) and my ball speed went down 2-3MPH and I was hitting it 195.

No clue as to the reason why but just found it interesting.

My normal 6i with my Callys and PX6.5's is 185 normal and maybe 195 if I really step on it. With the C Tapers I was launching it lower and flying it 15 yards further with TOP FLIGHT RANGE BALLS. I didn't even feel like I was making great swings or swinging 100%. That is scary if I pick up at least a club in length and lower my spin with the C-Tapers.

Now I'm really torn as to the AP2's or MC's. I was going to get the Mizuno MP59's or 69's but I can't order them with C Tapers in them yet I don' think.

I guess my main questions are why would my numbers drop going to stiffer shaft if you say the X is really more like the 6.5's? Unless I was just making poor tired swings.

I'm trying to figure out which flex of C taper to go with. My 6i swing speed is 95-98MPH I believe.

On a side note I tried the 910D3 7.5* head with a custom Fuji Speeder VC 7.2X and wow I think I finally found my driver shaft. 1950-2500 spin rate, 284 carry with 12-14* launch (going off memory here). With my driver espeically I've always had a problem with too much spin but I'm never short so I just put up with it. I currently have an 8.5* 910D3 with the Ahina X flex in it and it's ok but my spin is often 3000-3500 which is horrible.

TaylorMade SLDR TP 9.5* w Speeder TS6.3x
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 13* w/ UST V2 75x
Ping i20 17* & 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/C-Taper 130x SS
Cleveland 588 54* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I play PX 6.0 flighted shafts in my j36's....for those of you who have hit both PX flighted and C-tapers, what would u guys recommend as far as the C-tapers go stiff, stiff+ or x-stiff?

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Due to the misinformation I have seen about these shafts being "soft" (which is ludicrous), look at the attached chart. These are some of the stiffest steel shafts there are...check KBS's Twitter, their Nationwide Players that are winning are winning with the S+, and the S+ is what Justin Rose is playing and he is no slouch.

Personally, I ordered the X softstepped.

Hope this chart will help to clear some questions up for some people.

21onb5g.jpg

Thank you. I was surprised to hear guys saying these shafts are soft. I hit the S and S+ in the AP2's and felt the shaft performed nice. I actually thought the S felt better and I got better #'s with the S in a 6i. I play PX 6.5's now and have been for the last 6+ years.

My buddy is a Titleist rep and fitter and he said very few, if any, of the pros are playing the X flex. My buddy is a pro and he bombs the ball. Driver ball speed close to 180 and he plays an S flex in the C tapers, standard length in his AP2's.

I'm interested in going to a new set of AP2's or TM MC's with C tapers but not sure what flex to get. I was thinking about just going with S since I like to swing my irons under control and try not to swing 100% very often. My 6i SS is usually 95-98MPH and my ball speed with the C tapers in S with an AP2 6i was 138 MPH @ 17* launch. That's plenty for me. If that holds true I'd gain at least a half club to a club with the C tapers. That's insane.

TaylorMade SLDR TP 9.5* w Speeder TS6.3x
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 13* w/ UST V2 75x
Ping i20 17* & 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/C-Taper 130x SS
Cleveland 588 54* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2