2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway FT-9 Tour

fr0sty

still a viable driver? (Vs hibore xl tour)
So I'm thinking of upgrading my driver (Hibore XL Tour) to something that is slightly newer and more forgiving. I've never been a fan of how heavy the Hibore "feels" and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the FT-9 Tour driver and how it would compare to the Hibore. I'm also open to any suggestions for 2009 and newer drivers that wont cost an arm and a leg. ( less than 200)

Thanks in advance.

Srixon Z545
Srixon F45
Adams Super Hybrid 20° (Tour issue)
Mizuno Mp-15 4-pw
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 RAW 52/56/60
Odyssey Versa O-Works 1W

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had both, I think the FT9 Tour is more forgiving than the XL Tour. The FT9 is a lot more muted feeling and much quieter. I found the FT9 easier to hit straight while the XL Tour is a lot easier to work the ball. Distance is close, XL is longest on pure strikes but I think the FT9 is consistantly longer.

FWIW the Ft9 also has a heavy feel and a fairly high SW at 45" . It should be easy to find a used Ft9 for $100 - $150, I'd go for an Imix version unless you can find one with a shaft you know you will like.

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

[size=2]Very interesting thanks a bunch. I think the FT-9 is the way to go (IMIX) without being positive. There are 3 shafts that I am considering: Zcom 60, Aldila VS pro and Prolaunch Axis. Can you comment on the differences of these shafts? [/size]

Srixon Z545
Srixon F45
Adams Super Hybrid 20° (Tour issue)
Mizuno Mp-15 4-pw
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 RAW 52/56/60
Odyssey Versa O-Works 1W

My FT9 tour is a bomber, beware that the center of gravity is placed higher in the tour models which promotes a lower trajectory.

I started at the 8.5 cuz i hit the regular 9 degree too high....well, I am at the 10.5 model now with a fubuki and I could not be happier at all.

Incredible distance on off-center hits.

[quote name='feetup' timestamp='1303187806' post='3166508']
FT-9 Tour 9.5 and Prolaunch Axis Red was a great combo, nice and tight producing boring flight but not so rigid that it had no feel to it. I may still have one in the garage.
[/quote]

Funny how the 910 puts clubs in the garage...I see a trend here...

[quote name='enduro' timestamp='1303161887' post='3165288']

FWIW the Ft9 also has a heavy feel and a fairly high SW at 45" . It should be easy to find a used Ft9 for $100 - $150, I'd go for an Imix version unless you can find one with a shaft you know you will like.
[/quote]

That's interesting that you make that observation. I have an FT9 Tour imix with a WB 83x, and of my 3 drivers (ping i15 BB73x and R7425 BB73x), the FT9 is the lightest feeling of the bunch.

For picking one up used, cant beat callawaypreowned.com.

FT-9 imix is the way to go. I hit one of those Hibores once and it'll be the last too. I have 2 FT9 tours 8.5 and 9.5. I recommend VS proto. Voodoo (red, not black), Ust axiv core, Diamana (white or blueboard), anything Aldila. I use an aftermarket shaft adapter in mine. You lose the interchangability, but still reshafting is much easier than the non imix (no shaft cutting), and it feels more solid to me. That said, I can't deny my FT5 playing time. This thing BOMBS the ball. Not quite as forgiving as my FT9, but the sound is sweet and is a little more workable. Also available in imix configuration. Hope that helps.

Callaway Optiforce 440 Matrix RUL
Callaway X Hot Pro 17 Kai'li 70
Ping G25 20* IROD 95
Srixon Z745 Modus 120X
Cleveland Precision Forged 50, 54, 60
Odyssey Tour Designs 1W

• 1 month later...

I saw this topic and had to put my .02 in. I just picked up a FT-9 9 degree with an I-mix Diamana Blueboard 63S shaft from Golf Galaxy for $96. This driver is REALLY nice. Great feel, nice mid-high ball flight and really long. Couldn't believe I got this thing for less than $100. Only negative is with the 1degree closed face, I'm having a hard time working a fade off the tee which I prefer. But that's OK. I just ordered a 10.5 degree Ft-9 Tour with a Mitsubishi Javln shaft in I-mix as well. I'm sure that I'll find a shaft or 2 to go with one of these heads. This club is a big time sleeper in my opinion. I can't imagine the R11, Razr Hawk ( which I looked at HARD ), or the Diablo Octane being that much better than this model. Great job Callaway!!

DR

XR16 pro Kiyoshi White 60S
XR16 pro 16 Speeder 765s
Cleveland Launcher 21 Rifle 6.0
<br />2013 X Forged PXi 6.0 4-pw<br />MD chrome 50, MD Chrome 54, MD2 Slate 58<br />Versa BWB #1 W 34"

[quote name='DMR2112' timestamp='1307844977' post='3300985']
I saw this topic and had to put my .02 in. I just picked up a FT-9 9 degree with an I-mix Diamana Blueboard 63S shaft from Golf Galaxy for $96. This driver is REALLY nice. Great feel, nice mid-high ball flight and really long. Couldn't believe I got this thing for less than $100. Only negative is with the 1degree closed face, I'm having a hard time working a fade off the tee which I prefer. But that's OK. I just ordered a 10.5 degree Ft-9 Tour with a Mitsubishi Javln shaft in I-mix as well. I'm sure that I'll find a shaft or 2 to go with one of these heads. This club is a big time sleeper in my opinion.[b] I can't imagine the R11, Razr Hawk ( which I looked at HARD ), or the Diablo Octane being that much better than this model.[/b] Great job Callaway!!

DR

[/quote]

Razr Hawk Tour is. The other two not so much.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1307846382' post='3301028']
I saw this topic and had to put my .02 in. I just picked up a FT-9 9 degree with an I-mix Diamana Blueboard 63S shaft from Golf Galaxy for $96. This driver is REALLY nice. Great feel, nice mid-high ball flight and really long. Couldn't believe I got this thing for less than $100. Only negative is with the 1degree closed face, I'm having a hard time working a fade off the tee which I prefer. But that's OK. I just ordered a 10.5 degree Ft-9 Tour with a Mitsubishi Javln shaft in I-mix as well. I'm sure that I'll find a shaft or 2 to go with one of these heads. This club is a big time sleeper in my opinion.[b] I can't imagine the R11, Razr Hawk ( which I looked at HARD ), or the Diablo Octane being that much better than this model.[/b] Great job Callaway!!

DR

[/quote]

[/quote]
Yeah that driver felt really good and went forever on the range when I demo'd it at a Callaway demo day. Only hit about 5 balls with it as I knew that it was WAY out of my price range. Didn't want to get trapped into it without the funds. All the reviews have been great. But I'm very satisfied with this FT-9 and I'm sure the FT-9 Tour will fit right in.

XR16 pro Kiyoshi White 60S
XR16 pro 16 Speeder 765s
Cleveland Launcher 21 Rifle 6.0
<br />2013 X Forged PXi 6.0 4-pw<br />MD chrome 50, MD Chrome 54, MD2 Slate 58<br />Versa BWB #1 W 34"

[quote name='DMR2112' timestamp='1307846752' post='3301046']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1307846382' post='3301028']

DR

[/quote]

[/quote]
Yeah that driver felt really good and went forever on the range when I demo'd it at a Callaway demo day. Only hit about 5 balls with it as I knew that it was WAY out of my price range. Didn't want to get trapped into it without the funds. All the reviews have been great. But I'm very satisfied with this FT-9 and I'm sure the FT-9 Tour will fit right in.
[/quote]

I have owned an Ft-9 and two Ft-9 Tours. The tours were money and very underrated. Diamana whiteboard seems to be the go-to pairing with that head for a lot of people, myself included. I am also waiting for the RHT to come down in price before I snag one.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x