Private Golf Courses in Boston

I want to join something affordable!
This is probably going to be a stupid question, but I am a recent grad making 50k and was thinking about joining a golf club where i can work on my game and play A LOT. How much are memberships? How much would a cheap membership be? I am originally from wellesley so just checked out wellesley cc. You basically need to be a direct descendant of those who arrived on the mayflower. And there is a 23 year waiting list. I was thinking like 200-300 bucks a month or something? anything in that range?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mr_Balloon_Hands' timestamp='1303261108' post='3169143']
This is probably going to be a stupid question, but I am a recent grad making 50k and was thinking about joining a golf club where i can work on my game and play A LOT. How much are memberships? How much would a cheap membership be? I am originally from wellesley so just checked out wellesley cc. You basically need to be a direct descendant of those who arrived on the mayflower. And there is a 23 year waiting list. I was thinking like 200-300 bucks a month or something? anything in that range?
[/quote]
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want a GREAT practice facility with only a nine hole course, you may want to look at Harmon Golf and Fitness in Rockland. The facility includes the following:

--Very large grass range
--Bunker complex
--Two large practice greens
--Pitching range with bunkers
--Nine hole short course (average hole about 73 yards)
--Nine hole championship course (short but extremely challenging)
--Fitness Center
--Restaurant/bar
--Learning Center

You can visit them at: http://www.harmongolf.com/

Or, call Rich Campbell at: 1-781-871-7775. Tell him Sean sent you.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I've been a member for five years. It's a great place to improve your game.

If you're looking for an 18 hole course and just want to play golf and not practice so much, you may want to check out somewhere else. I hear that Halifax Country Club is a nice facility and reasonable priced.

Good luck!

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1303264633' post='3169335']
[/quote]
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want a GREAT practice facility with only a nine hole course, you may want to look at Harmon Golf and Fitness in Rockland. The facility includes the following:

--Very large grass range
--Bunker complex
--Fitness Center
--Restaurant/bar
--Learning Center

You can visit them at: [url="http://www.harmongolf.com/"]http://www.harmongolf.com/[/url]

If you have any questions, please let me know. I've been a member for five years. It's a great place to improve your game.

If you're looking for an 18 hole course and just want to play golf and not practice so much, you may want to check out somewhere else. I hear that Halifax Country Club is a nice facility and reasonable priced.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Rockland is too far from boston.

[quote name='Mr_Balloon_Hands' timestamp='1303268426' post='3169562']
[/quote]

--Very large grass range
--Bunker complex
--Fitness Center
--Restaurant/bar
--Learning Center

You can visit them at: [url="http://www.harmongolf.com/"]http://www.harmongolf.com/[/url]

Good luck!
[/quote]

[/quote]
You could have said thank you. I spent some time trying to help you out.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1303269183' post='3169597']
[/quote]

--Very large grass range
--Bunker complex
--Fitness Center
--Restaurant/bar
--Learning Center

Good luck!
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

great description of Harmon....I lived in South Boston and was a member at Harmon for years. Great staff and Teachers and a great Super who keeps all the facilities in great shape considering all the abuse (jk) play/practice they have.

Any private club close to Boston is going to cost the OP more then what he's looking to spend......try Quarry hills or if that's too far.....try Presidents or George Wright...might be more in-line with your budget.

Dbogey

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

im from wellesley too and anything in our area is very expensive with respect to PRIVATE clubs.

most likely you will have to join a semi private or public course to lock in 200-300 a month. in the boston area there is very little, perhaps Newton Comm, leo j, presidents, george wright, ponkapoag.

best of luck!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

For the amount you would spend on a private club membership around Boston, you could play a great spread of public courses whenever you'd like and still have some cash left over.

This is personal opinion, but joining a club when making 50k is not a good idea unless you have family or connections to a club and can get a discounted rate. I have a few friends that have done this and are able to be members at very nice country clubs for $3k - $5k while in their 20's. When you factor in all of the costs of being a member at one of these clubs (tournament fees, guest fees, possible cart or caddy fees, required food and drink spending), the number is much closer to $10k. And that's a case where exceptions are being made and they consider themselves fortunate. 50k, after taxes, after private club dues, after a car and gas and rent... you'd miss out on too many other things that are great.

Through work, social connection and general networking, you'll be able to find people that are members at clubs around Boston and hopefully get invited to play a few.

If Harmon Golf in Rockland is too far (25 - 30 min), your options are very limited. Personally, I would go north shore or metro west as cape traffic anywhere south of Boston is miserable in the summer. If you're serious about joining a private club and have a set budget, you could try calling all of the clubs that meet your criteria and tell them what you do, your long term plans, why you'd be a good member and what you're budget is, and perhaps you might get lucky and find one that is willing to work with you.

Titleist TSr2 9 Ventus Black 6x | Titleist TSr2 15 Ventus Black 7x | Titleist TSr2 18 Ventus Black 8x  Titleist 620mb 4-P X7 | NCW 51 55 59 X7 | Scotty Cameron NP2 Timeless

Just remembered - South Shore Country Club in Hingham (25 - 30 min drive, 45 min drive back with returning cape traffic) had a deal last year where you can be a member for I believe $500 annually if you're under 30. You could give them a call and see if that's still active. It's a good course (hosting an MGA event this year), ages ago it was an exclusive private club but it's a public course owned by the town now. There's not much of a practice area (terrible driving range) but the quality of golf and pace of play beats anything public in the city. Course is open year round, weather-permitting.There's a pool and a good restaurant. You can also take the commuter rail which is a big plus (it stops right next to the course).

Titleist TSr2 9 Ventus Black 6x | Titleist TSr2 15 Ventus Black 7x | Titleist TSr2 18 Ventus Black 8x  Titleist 620mb 4-P X7 | NCW 51 55 59 X7 | Scotty Cameron NP2 Timeless

[quote name='mugen910' timestamp='1303308017' post='3170381']
Thanks for the info Sean...I'd love to get better at golf and there is so much room for improvement but Rockland does seem very far.
[/quote]
Mugen, Harmon is just a few minutes off Rte 3. We have quite a few members from up Boston way, but I understand what you're saying.

However, with Harmon the fee includes unlimited play, balls on the range, gym membership, and there is no food or drink minimums.

South Shore Country Club in Hingham is a good deal, as Bryan mentioned. I played with someone under 30 a month or so ago who received the price Bryan mentioned at about that time.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1303319923' post='3170957']
Thanks for the info Sean...I'd love to get better at golf and there is so much room for improvement but Rockland does seem very far.
[/quote]
Mugen, Harmon is just a few minutes off Rte 3. We have quite a few members from up Boston way, but I understand what you're saying.

However, with Harmon the fee includes unlimited play, balls on the range, gym membership, and there is no food or drink minimums.

South Shore Country Club in Hingham is a good deal, as Bryan mentioned. I played with someone under 30 a month or so ago who received the price Bryan mentioned at about that time.
[/quote]

:D I'm from Lowell (I'm closer to NH than to Boston) so Rockland is a bit of a hike for this newbie. If I was closer to the south shore I'd be all over it.

Opiumpipez suggested Newton Commons...I am still new to this game but hate that course. They stuck 18 holes into an area made for 13 holes. Make sure you wear a helmet with ear holes so you can be protected from all the people yelling "FORE". LOL

IIRC Woodland is only around $40k initiation fee, but you can spread it out over a couple years. :)

Boston area and private country clubs are expensive, plain and simple.

Woodland, Brae Burn, Wellesley, Weston, Pine Brook, TCC, Charles River, etc... All will essentially take your entire annual salary (or much more) just for the privilege of paying another $10-20k/year. I've played all I listed, (with one glaring exception) they are very nice courses!

[quote name='mugen910' timestamp='1303324107' post='3171174']
[/quote]

[/quote]

:D I'm from Lowell (I'm closer to NH than to Boston) so Rockland is a bit of a hike for this newbie. If I was closer to the south shore I'd be all over it.

Opiumpipez suggested Newton Commons...I am still new to this game but hate that course. They stuck 18 holes into an area made for 13 holes. Make sure you wear a helmet with ear holes so you can be protected from all the people yelling "FORE". LOL
[/quote]

youre right about newton comm which is one reason why i refuse to play that course. 5 years ago i got smacked in the A$# by some noob who had no idea how to yell fore.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

[quote name='mugen910' timestamp='1303324107' post='3171174']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Lowell! Yeah, that is bit far north. Good luck Mugen!

[/quote]

--Very large grass range
--Bunker complex
--Fitness Center
--Restaurant/bar
--Learning Center

Good luck!
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

sorry about that, I dont know why I didnt say thank you! I think I was on my iphone when I said that! That sounds like an awesome place, but I was hoping for something closer to town.. But it doesnt look like I will be playing/practicing anywhere but Leo J martin!

[quote name='Mr_Balloon_Hands' timestamp='1303347918' post='3172280']
[/quote]

--Very large grass range
--Bunker complex
--Fitness Center
--Restaurant/bar
--Learning Center

Good luck!
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

sorry about that, I dont know why I didnt say thank you! I think I was on my iphone when I said that! That sounds like an awesome place, but I was hoping for something closer to town.. But it doesnt look like I will be playing/practicing anywhere but Leo J martin!
[/quote]
No worries. Good luck with Leo J!

I have also been considering joining a club, however I decided that I would rather travel around and play different courses every weekend. As mentioned above, South Shore CC is going to be your best/cheapest option in the area. Granite Links has a young adult membership I considered which is $2.5k initiation and $3k a year, however after food/beers it'll definitely run you a lot more since it is too easy to "just put it on my account." I am glad I didn't join a club, I have played Pinehills, Redtail, Waverly Oaks for the same price of monthly dues at a comparable course.

• 4 weeks later...

Great advice here. I'm moving to Boston in August and I am in desperate search of a private club...don't care if it has pool, tennis, big club house, etc. Willing to pay around 10G for initiation and 500 monthlies. My wife doesn't know this but the search of a house will be predicated on having a club fitting this criteria nearby. I'm partial to north of the city but if the club is right I will adjust. There just seems to be too many clubs in the area to realistically reach out to all. Just want a place to hang my hat, play in competitive regular groups, compete in club and MA tournies, etc. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

[/quote]

Have you ever been a member at a private club before? I was thinking maybe a semi-private club that you can pay $2000-2600 a year, you are playing typically good places. I have ButterBook GC near my house that is like $2700yr. If I could play more then I would seriously consider it. Also when you are paying that little for a private club, how good of a course are you really getting?

As to DBogey's suggestion, Harmon is an awesome facility. I spent a COOOOLD winter's day beating balls with DBogey (been a long time Andy...hope all is well) and another WRX'r. I now live like 1+ hr from there so its not an option for me.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Okay, I found some more info on clubs in the area. Meadow Brook, Bear Hill, and Bellevue (all 9 holers) are all very reasonable and all have pools, tennis, etc. The cool thing is that they have reciprocals with each other. Also, Thompson CC in North Reading has no initiation fees and pretty low monthlies. Does anyone know anything about Thompson? Almost sounds too good to be true.

I haven't played there and I only know one family that belongs there... and honestly I haven't talked to them for some time now. I'm not a 100% sure but I have heard it is pretty tight.

Played Bear Hill a few times and caddied there back in the day. Pretty solid course... very open some nice holes.

Got nothing on Bellevue

Hoboken... where are you moving to? if you don't mind me asking

MikeM8, don't know where I'm moving yet. I will be working downtown. Honestly, I will try to buy a house close to the club I end up joining. Thompson does seem tight with towhomes lining some holes. Not a big fan of that. Being that it is so inexpensive I will give it a look, though. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards your first recommendation, Meadow Brook. It is the longest of those 9 holers, solid course rating, and importatntly to me, it has a grass driving range. And no homes on the course. Thompson has a short range with short flying balls. That doesn't sound like fun.

Meadow Brook looks tight as well. Can you hit driver on the majority of the par 4s and 5s? On paper, I really like the layout there.