2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Will Sales Drop for Nike?

Evil R1

With Tiger not showing any love for the driver with his past 3 victories, how do you think this will affect Nike Sales. I mean, it's not as if it could be said he was bombing every tee shot and hitting every fairway with the drivers. He used it once in the UK? A handful in the PGA Champ?

On a side note, I wonder how Nike feels about this lack of love for their driver?

Thanks,

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if he dislikes the driver, he just knows that he isn't as accurate with it as he his his 3-wood or 5-wood. He still uses the driver, but he knows he can win by leaving it in his bag if he chooses to do so.

Right, that's basically my point. Tiger being the #1 sales force behind Nike Products, one would think that by him not really using the driver and still winning, would ask themselves, Why would I need/want this driver? Granted, that vast majority of players can't hit their Driver as far as TW's 3 Wood, but you know how it is.

Look at Phil, he won 3 Majors with the FT-3 Driver, I'm sure that definately helped sales. And I'm probably such a sucker for good marketing, b/c I now play an FT-3 :cheesy:

Thanks,

I dn't think TW's lack of usinf the driver will lead to a decrease in sales. You average Joe sees all of the advertising Nike does and goes and buys the product after seeing that. TW used the driver enough times in the PGA to get additions sales.

As far as the lack of use while in the UK, the course dicates the style he chose. Do you think TayorMade will sell less putters because Sergio used it so much? Ernie used driver a lot and it won't effect driver sales in a negative way.

The guys who base their purchase of driver on what Tiger is actual playing/using in pro torunaments will simply not watch pro tour golf, but base their purchase primarily of Nike posters showing Tiger using Nikes SQ driver.

Therefore the ordinary John Doe, who wants a driver lige the one Tiger is using (but as WE know, he actually is only using this monster driver for maybe like 10 times total over the span of a 4 day golf tournament) he will still continue to buy the driver and THINK Tiger is using it during the entire week and on every par 4 and par 5 hole.

With Tiger winning more and more NOT using his driver as much as the 3 wood, a couple of guys will eventually get to know this, and these could end up not buying a Nike driver.

BUT more more guys will be attracted to Nike products as long as Tiger keeps winning and these guys will more than make up for loss Nike will encounter as a result of Tiger not using his bid dog as much as he used to do.

So my conclusion is that Nike will sell even more drivers as a result of Tiger new on course strategy.

I agree with Claus here (Santa by chance? I could save some postage sneding you my kids lists via PM as opposed to USPS to North Pole)

Nike sales will grow with every Tiger win because people equate Tiger with Nike. I would guess a large majority of the people who went out and bought Nike balls as soon as they were introduced thought they had the same product as Tiger and also thought he putted with a Nike putter.

These are the same people that have never heard of club fitting.

The average person had absolutely no clue how many times Tiger does or does not hit driver, just the fact of which one he has.

On a side note, Tiger has found a balance that allows him to not HAVE to hit driver so much as compared to say, Fred Funk. Just like Pelz said about Phil and Tiger, at those swing speeds, it only takes a small fraction of off-timing to hit a sideways drive.

Tiger hasn't not been hitting the driver because he's not accurate with it. He's not hitting it because keeps him out of crap he doesn't need to be in. He takes the bunkers and other fairway hazards out of play by not hitting it. When he's got a wide open fairway, he lets it rip.

Just like at Hoylake, he kept himself out of the crap by not even having to hit driver.

Tiger even said the he would prefer distance over accuracy. So..he's not hitting it because he can't, he's hitting it because he doesn't have to.

I don't know if he dislikes the driver, he just knows that he isn't as accurate with it as he his his 3-wood or 5-wood. He still uses the driver, but he knows he can win by leaving it in his bag if he chooses to do so.

Right, that's basically my point. Tiger being the #1 sales force behind Nike Products, one would think that by him not really using the driver and still winning, would ask themselves, Why would I need/want this driver? Granted, that vast majority of players can't hit their Driver as far as TW's 3 Wood, but you know how it is.

Look at Phil, he won 3 Majors with the FT-3 Driver, I'm sure that definately helped sales. And I'm probably such a sucker for good marketing, b/c I now play an FT-3 :cheesy:

Thanks,

So I guess the next question is, are you going to switch drivers now because everything Phil's doing since that fatal shot on 18 at Winged Foot is in the woods...

Tiger is also the #1 reason why some people DO NOT buy Nike products. The golf course my dad is the pro at can't give Nike products away and the members reasons are "I will never buy anything Nike because I hate Tiger Woods".

All of the old guys HATE Tiger Woods and they say "Its not because he is black"

So I guess the next question is, are you going to switch drivers now because everything Phil's doing since that fatal shot on 18 at Winged Foot is in the woods...

I was being a bit sarcastic, but there is no way I would get rid of my FT-3, I love this driver. Walked 9 holes the other day, Hit 6 Fairways and averaged around 237 with it. With 182 being my lowest (first tee, really steep swing) and 279 being my longest (But All Downhill)

Thanks,

I was being a bit sarcastic, but there is no way I would get rid of my FT-3, I love this driver. Walked 9 holes the other day, Hit 6 Fairways and averaged around 237 with it. With 182 being my lowest (first tee, really steep swing) and 279 being my longest (But All Downhill)

those distances are too short...I will switch to Nike if I were you :cheesy:

Lol, I got the swing speed of a 7 yr old girl, so those are bombs for me :fool:

Forget the swooshie...it's time for a Hammer.....POW!!!!!

Thanks,

I'm in the golf retail side of it and Phil doesn't sell drivers. In our shop the FT-3 is a huge disapointment. Nike sells itself. Tiger helps but Nike has a ton of bags on T.V. with a ton of wins under its belt from staffers not named TIGER.

Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch

Tiger is also the #1 reason why some people DO NOT buy Nike products. The golf course my dad is the pro at can't give Nike products away and the members reasons are "I will never buy anything Nike because I hate Tiger Woods".

All of the old guys HATE Tiger Woods and they say "Its not because he is black"

If they have to qualify a statement such as that, then thats probably the exact reason. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. There will be people at your dad's club that won't put "dubs" on their Cadillacs too. :cheesy: