Best dual use stand bag?

Sometimes I walk, Sometimes I ride
Depends on who I play with, but I walk about half the time and ride the other half. Looking for a bag that is comfortable to carry, but they have put some thought into how it will do on a cart (i.e. will not twist around on the cart, pockets in good spots etc). Any suggestions?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Sunmountain Three 5 and my Ping Latitude 2 both have a problem with twisting or leaning over sideways when on the cart. Also the SM doesn't have a putter well.

For cart use, the best bag I have is the Ogio Grom. The rubber strap that fastens it to the bag rack really locks it into place. It stays straight up and down. It also has a good top section that separates the woods and irons. My only gripe (and it's minor) is the valuable pocket where I put my keys, wallet, watch etc, is difficult to get to on the cart and pretty small. It 's also a little heavier than than the SM and Ping.

Even though it's a little heavier, my choice is the Ogio (if they still have the strap), it still carries well, and in my opinion is much better on a cart.

I wouldn't buy a bag other than a PING, especially their Hoofers. I just, for the life of me, can't seem to understand the other strap styles. The two individual straps just are infinitely superior in my mind. Not to mention, I find them to be much more cart friendly because of the lack of a "foot pedal" like other bags have.

[quote name='Vendetta7' timestamp='1305760947' post='3245453']
I wouldn't buy a bag other than a PING, especially their Hoofers. I just, for the life of me, can't seem to understand the other strap styles. The two individual straps just are infinitely superior in my mind. Not to mention, I find them to be much more cart friendly because of the lack of a "foot pedal" like other bags have.
[/quote]

I agree with everything you said about the ping bags. I have never owned anything other than a hoofer until now.

I bought an adidas AG tour stand bag and am happy with it as I do ride most of the time and there is a bit more room for the clubs. despite being physically larger I think my adidas bag has less storage space than my old hoofer. It does look great but when this bag starts to fade it will be back to a Ping bag for me.

[quote name='ForeRL' timestamp='1305838679' post='3247852']
the new 2011 sun mountain 3.5 has a cart strap slot and velcro strap for the legs so they won't extend.
[/quote]

Does anyone have a problem with only having four dividers on the 3.5, in terms of club-tangle? I'm having a really hard time making a decision on a bag. It's maddening!

[quote name='Boone' timestamp='1305842483' post='3248006']
[quote name='ForeRL' timestamp='1305838679' post='3247852']
the new 2011 sun mountain 3.5 has a cart strap slot and velcro strap for the legs so they won't extend.
[/quote]

Does anyone have a problem with only having four dividers on the 3.5, in terms of club-tangle? I'm having a really hard time making a decision on a bag. It's maddening!
[/quote]

I've just picked up a new SM35, having come from an MPB that had 14 way dividers and a putter slot.

If club tangling is what annoys you more than anything else, then a 14 way bag is the way to go. What I've found however is that they add weight, noise, and bag chatter (not a problem if you own Pings).

Each of the SM35 4 compartments are fully divided and roomy enough that you can fit 4 clubs in the top and bottom slots and 3 in each of the middle ones without significant tangling. Less so than, for example the titleist lightweight bag or the hoofer. IMO, having a full length divider in the middle really helps.

If you just put the club anywhere back in the bag, you'll get some tangles. But if you spend the same amount of time putting the club back in one of these as you would hunting for the open slot in a 14 way bag you shouldn't have much of a problem.

There is no perfect bag. Each has tradeoffs, you just have to decide what you really want and what you're willing to give up to get it.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1305748953' post='3244958']
My Sunmountain Three 5 and my Ping Latitude 2 both have a problem with twisting or leaning over sideways when on the cart. Also the SM doesn't have a putter well.

For cart use, the best bag I have is the Ogio Grom. The rubber strap that fastens it to the bag rack really locks it into place. It stays straight up and down. It also has a good top section that separates the woods and irons. My only gripe (and it's minor) is the valuable pocket where I put my keys, wallet, watch etc, is difficult to get to on the cart and pretty small. It 's also a little heavier than than the SM and Ping.

Even though it's a little heavier, my choice is the Ogio (if they still have the strap), it still carries well, and in my opinion is much better on a cart.
[/quote]

+1 on Ogio Grom 2011

I just bought the 2011 version of this bag and it's amazing! I'm a cart bag guy that is just now converting to a stand bag and I'm wanting to walk alot more now. This bag has pockets that are perfectly laid out, it looks nicer than just about any other stand bag out there, it has a 14 way divider (which is huge for me), and it converts into a serious cart bag! It comes with this rubber tension strap that wraps around the carts back bar and holds it nice and tight. There is no way for this bag to twist, turn, slump, etc. It also has elastic straps that hold the stand legs inplace when converting to a card bag.

This bag, although maybe slightly heavier than some other bags out there, is still very light to me and the strap system feels great on the shoulders. I highly recommend this bag to serve double duty. HTH.