2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

An insight into claimed handicaps and cultural background

rge

Statistical findings on handicaps and what players say they are
Some time ago I came across an old issue of a golf magazine that did some surveys on the claimed and actual handicaps of various cultural groups (e.g. Asians, Americans, etc)

The focus was more on the reported handicaps of the 2 groups in particular and it just got me to thinking. The magazine was claiming, based on the survey, that the average American golfer was more likely to be truthful of his handicap or would claim a handicap that was better than he/she actually played to as opposed to the average Asian golfer likely being truthful about his/fer handicap or would claim a handicap that was worse than they normally played to (sandbagging).

I just found it interesting and saw some evidentiary truth to this claim. Once or twice a year, we get to play with a junket of American travelers/golfers that visit the Philippines to play for 2 weeks. It always strikes us as quite amusing because when they get together to discuss their handicaps, everyone is like a single digit h'capper. Being privy to this conversation, we hold them to their claim and assign their respective handicaps. On our end, I notice that the playing contingent usually claims their board handicap or to my embarrasment, claim handicaps 2-3 strokes higher than what I know them to play. The end result is practically obvious as the travelling contingent ends up pulling out their wallets.

You hear their comments like, "I'm really much better than I'm playing right now.....or I'm in the middle of a swing change because my pro (place name of famous teaching pro here) is modifying my this or that" on the other side, you'll hear claims like " This has got to be the best i've ever played in a long time or The golf gods must be smiling at me today!!!..."

While I don't approve of sandbagging, It just amuses me more when people claim to be better than they really are because they are doing a disservice to their wallets and make it even more evident that they aren't what they claim themselves to be. I played against a guy that claimed he was a "solid" 8. I couldn't see him being a "weak" 25. and to think he was giving me 2 strokes to my 10 h'cap. I didn't feel too good taking his money but it wasn't my fault. I shot an 84 which is well within my h'cap as opposed to his 96. Perhaps he was having a really bad day.

Have you guys encountered this? Any thoughts??

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I tend to be truthful about my handicap. I figure there is no point in lying either way.

By the way, all golfwrx'ers are invited to use the free USGA handicapping system at the golfwrx partner site http://www.mygolfbuddy.com. Its a blast, and you use the playing partner search engine can find golfers in your area as well.

Ray,

Really hard to say. I also play with a group of tourists that come over from the US about 2xs a year. They play around to their handicap.

My theory would be it might be easier to claim a lower handicap and play well win money, than claim a higher one play well and lose friends.

The current exchange rate and the inexpensive costs over here might have something to do with it. When the tourist group comes over, we play P50-hole/P100-mini corner/P200-big corners. That is quite decent bets for us. That is only $1/$2/$4 for them. Not really a big loss to them.

I know many sandbaggers, many reverse-sandbaggers, and truthful players. I don't think it has a thing to do with ethnicity or economics as all are members of my club and we aren't the most diverse group.

Oddly enough, at one time or another, I could be classified in any of those groups, though not intentionally. When I was a kid, my handicap was much lower than my ability, but I didn't appreciate golf, only played golf. I quit when I was 14 to concentrate on other sports.

When I started playing again, I didn't really have a handicap. I would say I was still in the reverse-handicapper mold as I typically only talked about my good rounds or even holes.

When I got serious about golf, my handicap was abnormally high. The reality was, I played out all shots and turned in every score. I was eratic, but even as a 24 I was able to hit alot of shots that a 10 couldn't. I just rarely strung them together.

Then I started to practice and have learned more about golf in the last 5 years than in the previous 25 I played. These days, I'm a 10 who can go low (shot 75 last Saturday) or can have a day where the swing isn't working and shoot high (shot 91 today on a very easy course).

Handicaps are an extremely imperfect system at best, but it's all we have until somebody comes up with something better.

Ray,

Really hard to say. I also play with a group of tourists that come over from the US about 2xs a year. They play around to their handicap.

My theory would be it might be easier to claim a lower handicap and play well win money, than claim a higher one play well and lose friends.

The current exchange rate and the inexpensive costs over here might have something to do with it. When the tourist group comes over, we play P50-hole/P100-mini corner/P200-big corners. That is quite decent bets for us. That is only $1/$2/$4 for them. Not really a big loss to them.

Hi Toby:

Nice to see you around here again. I agree and can relate to your philosophy. Personally, I would rather just state what my true h'cap is. If I play bad, at least I know that I really did so or if I play well, I can genuinely feel good about my game. Then again if the game is played more for just the camaraderie, I am always open to being the one to give strokes.

On a side note. Please let me know if and when you plan to come down to manila. I'd be more than happy to host you for a round of golf at Valley. You still have my number, right?

Ray,

Hi Toby:

Nice to see you around here again. I agree and can relate to your philosophy. Personally, I would rather just state what my true h'cap is. If I play bad, at least I know that I really did so or if I play well, I can genuinely feel good about my game. Then again if the game is played more for just the camaraderie, I am always open to being the one to give strokes.

On a side note. Please let me know if and when you plan to come down to manila. I'd be more than happy to host you for a round of golf at Valley. You still have my number, right?

Ray,

I'm on here everyday :cheesy:. I still have your number. Iwas in Manila last month for 7 days. It rained 5 out of the 7. I got to play Greenfield and Summitpoint the 2 days it didn't rain though.