Dyna-Powered questions

Hogan-

Texsport recently did just that under a different thread.

The original '58 Wilson Staff Model Dyna-power irons and Sand Wedge have the frosted parallel frames which are perpendicular to the scoring lines, with "Fluid Feel" plus the arrow stamps on the hosel.

To my understanding, the '58 Walter Hagen Ultra powered irons and Sand Iron also have the frosted parallel frames. Have a friend who has the '58 Ultras.

Will try to find and post a photo of them.

I'd have to look it up and find my clubs, but I believe that the '59 was identical to the '58 except it had no Fluid Feel arrow on the hosel and no unfrosted lines down the faces - both black sole buttons.

In checking the Texas Golf/Wood Bros catalog I posted previously, I see '60-'61 DynaPower wedges posted with black sole plugs.

Wilson changed to red sole plugs some time in '62-'65.

I'll try to round a bunch of mine up and post some pics.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Look what I found at Goodwill for $1.50 the other day.

Appears to be a '59...

Oh that is just plain sweet! Would this be considered a 1959 or a 1960 model? The stamps are 1959 but the head shape is 1960 (no muscle back).

Persimmon-

"The stamps are 1959... but"

Texsport has more than common knowledge about Wilson Staff Dynapower Wedges, and has likely weighed in on this thread with the year. Wilson also made a limited number of '59 Staff Dynapower remakes, as a different thread showed both '58 and '59 models.

We know for certain it's not a '58, nor is it a '60, so .... look at the Wilson Flag

The LH Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedge "SDP" posted earlier in this thread has stamps from 1957 to 1960, but no "Fluid Feel" hosel. Due to the fact one of my LH sets is a full '59/60 Staff Dynapower set with a lower "SDP" number and Fluid Feel stamps, it was decided they were 1959s, since their stamps and profiles are closer to that model than any other, yet the SW has the smaller 1960 W/S stamp.

So, I was rummaging through my hoard of clubs over the President's Day holiday and I came across a club that I had totally forgotten that I found at a thrift store previously.

'58 Wilson Staff Dyna-Powered Pitching Wedge complete with FLUID-FEEL and red arrow on hosel.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

So, I was rummaging through my hoard of clubs over the President's Day holiday and I came across a club that I had totally forgotten that I found at a thrift store previously.

'58 Wilson Staff Dyna-Powered Pitching Wedge complete with FLUID-FEEL and red arrow on hosel.

HAB-

Great post!

Will see where the LH '58 Staff Dynapower PW is...

I've got a '58 DynaPower Dual Wedge and 1-iron around here somewhere.

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

HAB-

Great post!

Will see where the LH '58 Staff Dynapower PW is...

Rex,

I'm waiting for some pictures!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

HAB-

Didn't realize you were waiting...

Heres a photo of the LH 1958 Wilson Staff Dynapower irons.

If you look closely, you can see the frosted parallel lines on the face of the 6 iron (They're on all the rest, too.).

The Fluid Feel and the arrow on the hosel are visable also.

All other photos of the collection will be in the book....

HAB-

Didn't realize you were waiting...

Heres a photo of the LH 1958 Wilson Staff Dynapower irons.

If you look closely, you can see the frosted parallel lines on the face of the 6 iron (They're on all the rest, too.).

The Fluid Feel and the arrow on the hosel are visable also.

All other photos of the collection will be in the book....

Rex,

SWEET! I'll be on the prowl around here for those '58s from now on...

HAB

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Rex those look killer, I may have to try and find a set when the coffers are replenished (I've picked up 4 sets of Hogans in the last 6 months)! I know fans will chime in but are '58's some of the best if your going for a nice Wilson set? I only currently have one set of Wilson's (X-31 that I grabbed at the thrift) and they weren't really on my "List" but look like pretty capable sticks...

Rex those look killer, I may have to try and find a set when the coffers are replenished (I've picked up 4 sets of Hogans in the last 6 months)! I know fans will chime in but are '58's some of the best if your going for a nice Wilson set? I only currently have one set of Wilson's (X-31 that I grabbed at the thrift) and they weren't really on my "List" but look like pretty capable sticks...

mj-

Wilson X31s are very capable irons....there are some LH models which don't take a back seat by much ...

(a LH Wilson X31 SW is in the bag!)

And if you find some '58 Walter Hagen Haig Ultra irons....which to my knowledge are rarer than the '58 Wilson Staff Dynapowers...

• 1 month later...

HAB-

Will yield to Texsport, who has more than common knowledge, as these '58 SWs were pretty much RH Only- even the remakes.

Wilson made a limited number of Remakes with the '58 stamps, and Tex shared his preferences on an earlier thread. If yours is one of those limited editions....

The '59 Dynapower SWs do NOT have the parallel sand blasted face lines. There might be some SWs with arrows, but all still have the "Fluid Feel" stamp on the hosel.

Below is the Wilson non-muscle back re-issue with 1959 stamping that sorta resembles HAB's wedge. It's basically the same head as the SW that came with the 1969 and 1971 dynapower reissues from the early 1990's. The head profile is different than HAB's find and his wedge has the correct Wilson stampings for 1950's to 1960's.

I really think what HAB has is an early 1960 dynapower wedge with carryover stampings from 1959. It doesn't have an SDP stamp so it may be early production rather than a custom job.

HAB-

Will yield to Texsport, who has more than common knowledge, as these '58 SWs were pretty much RH Only- even the remakes.

Wilson made a limited number of Remakes with the '58 stamps, and Tex shared his preferences on an earlier thread. If yours is one of those limited editions....

The '59 Dynapower SWs do NOT have the parallel sand blasted face lines. There might be some SWs with arrows, but all still have the "Fluid Feel" stamp on the hosel.

Rex,

Thanks for your response. I know you are a big W/S affectionato and I value your opinion.

Alan

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Below is the Wilson non-muscle back re-issue with 1959 stamping that sorta resembles HAB's wedge. It's basically the same head as the SW that came with the 1969 and 1971 dynapower reissues from the early 1990's. The head profile is different than HAB's find and his wedge has the correct Wilson stampings for 1950's to 1960's.

I really think what HAB has is an early 1960 dynapower wedge with carryover stampings from 1959. It doesn't have an SDP stamp so it may be early production rather than a custom job.

PM,

Thanks for your reply.

I can see a few differences in what you posted picture wise and what I am holding in my hand.

- #1 I don't have the red hosel arrow

- #2 The words "STAFF MODEL" appear slanted and closer together on your picture than on my club.

- #3 My "L" in Wilson appears to "loop" vertically while yours appears more similar to an "R" type "loop".

Obviously, my club is not a remake based on its ferrule, PRO FIT shaft and Chocolate leather grip with endcap.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Mine is just like this one.

Hard to find '59 model (in any condition). Very good back with light dinging. Sole with some chrome wear but no gouges - sole engraving paint filled. Face only 'good' with very good grooves; chrome wear on face and face sides towards sole. Good ferrule missing top rings. Good TT Pro Fit shaft with small chip in top shaftband - flex band still attached. Replaced Avon Chamois rubber grip is fine and soft - the grip is about 1/2" shorter than original leather wrap grip but the small margin is buffed and hardly shows. These are real cool 58 degree, round headed wedges that were stars in the Wilson corral. Ready for play. 35".

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

• 5 months later...

mj-

Wilson X31s are very capable irons....there are some LH models which don't take a back seat by much ...

(a LH Wilson X31 SW is in the bag!)

And if you find some '58 Walter Hagen Haig Ultra irons....which to my knowledge are rarer than the '58 Wilson Staff Dynapowers...

Rex,

I found these last night while scrounging around online...

They have the frosted parallel lines on the face but no hosel markings...

They were stated to be '56 models, not '58 models like the Wilson Staff DynaPowered clubs.

Your thoughts as to the year???

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Hogan-

Texsport recently did just that under a different thread.

The original '58 Wilson Staff Model Dyna-power irons and Sand Wedge have the frosted parallel frames which are perpendicular to the scoring lines, with "Fluid Feel" plus the arrow stamps on the hosel.

To my understanding, the '58 Walter Hagen Ultra powered irons and Sand Iron also have the frosted parallel frames. Have a friend who has the '58 Ultras.

Will try to find and post a photo of them.

Rex,

Still waiting...

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

These have the face lines like the '58 DynaPowers, but the lines were just a carry over from the '56 and '57 Wilsons and Hagens which also had the face lines, so these Hagens strike me as "56 or '57 models. The back raised area is more prominent/protruding than the '58 and the earlier blades are slightly lower sole-to-top making them appear to be longer hosel-to-toe, though close in size to the '58 Wilsons. The soles are the same as the '58 Wilsons - flat with cambered leading edge. The degree of offset is the same I think.

I played a '57 Wilson DynaPower SW after I wore out my '58s and '59s over the years. Also played a '60 model.

'56 or '57 is my best guess on these Hagens.

Sweet clubs!

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter