Dyna-Powered questions

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1317335964' post='3604827']
[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1310355580' post='3380905']
Wilson Staff clubs from this period were made very well.
Your woods are Strata Bloc, laminated maple,claiming the density was more uniform than a single persimmon block.

The "W/S" flag and the script on the "Dyna" Power" iron models between 1958 and 1959 are slightly different.
So is the location of "Fluid Feel" on the hosel. There is an arrow on the hosel of the 58s.
If your set included the 1958 Wilson Dynapower Sand Wedge in this shape, there are a few folks still looking for one...$$$.

The '60s and '70s and early '80s were full of players using Wilson Dynapower SWs.
Johnny Miller '73 (MacGregor) and Tom Watson (Ram) are notable. Watson's "Lob-Chip" Wedge on 17 in the final round of the '82 US Open? W/S Dynapower.

Wilson remade the forged '58 Dyna Powered Sand Wedge in the early '90s, and one found it's way into Ben Crenshaw's bag, claiming it was just as good as the original....R/H only.
[/quote]

I owned both and the reissue was not nearly as good.
[/quote]

And I believe you.
Could you elaborate on what the difference was?
At least you got to purchase both.
Imagine how rare a LH '58 W/S Dynapower SW would be.
Anyway, am happy with my '59....

The reissue had more face progression and felt harder. I swear the bounce angle was lower and less playable.

T

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

• 7 months later...

This has been a great thread.

Question/Idea: could you not cut the shafts off to a length that was serviceable for removing, not too short, not too long, and then use some type of rod to punch the plugs out from the inside? Thereby saving the plug. I don't know, just an idea as I may now be faced with this same dilemma.

The Wilson DynaPower '58 had Fluid Feel and an arrow pointing down toward the sole.

The '59s didn't have the arrow.

The 58 and 59 SW were some of the best ever made. Trevino played one all the time, and the wedge Watson used for his famous chip in at Pebble Beach was also one of these.

Also available was a grooved sole DS Wedge...a utility wedge.

I played these irons for many years with DG S-500 shafts, which played pretty stiff when inserted into these heads.

Great irons, though the lofts are now a little weak by modern standards.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• 2 weeks later...

I needed to reshaft a few Wilson Staff from the 50's this week so thought I would take a picture of what I use to take off staff heads or any stubborn ones. I got this tool from Golf works years ago. I can take a head off in about 5 minutes using this . I heat the pin for a few seconds first then drive the pin out. if I can I try to save the ferrule before I put it in the device. Once the pin is out you put the head in, tighten the bolts,, heat the head and slowly turn the heads on the bolts which pushed the head off. Works every time.

[quote name='honketyhank' timestamp='1310078721' post='3373037']
Soooo... I have a new set of taper tip DGS300's waiting for a project and I think this may be it. I have several questions though...

- How are these heads going to play? The sole grind is somewhat old-skool and the heads feel kind of heavy.

[b]I agree with your assessment that the FG17s are easier to hit well. But in their day, these were considered to be great clubs. [/b]

- Do these heads take taper or parallel tip shafts? Will the bore-through hosel give me any trouble?

[b]Taper tip, but watch out -- getting the shafts out can be a REAL problem. Not sure about this model but I have reshafted other Wilson Staffs from that era that combined 1) a left hand thread in the hosel, b) an interference fit at the bottom of the hosel, and c) a strong propensity to make you swear loudly and often. Combine that with trying to avoid damaging the hosel plug at the sole of the club, and you have, well, a problem. My advice would be to try to play the shafts that are there. Maybe wrap the grips with some tennis racquet grip tape temporarily to improve the grip until you can figure out whether or not you can use the shafts. If you can, then regrip and play. If you can't, try to pull the shaft on the longest club in the bunch. If no problem, try the next longest. Work down from the clubs you are least likely to use to the ones that you are most likely to use. Remember that excess heat does not solve the problem. You may find you can pull some, but not others. The ones you can't pull using non-extreme measures, take to a professional if you can find one. If you can't, here is what has worked for me:

1) cut off shaft about 8" above hosel.
2) put shaft into rubber shaft holder, put into vise with shaft at about 45 degrees from vertical.
3) squirt penetrating oil into shaft
4) drop a 1/4" drill bit (extra long, 1 foot), bit down, into shaft
5) tap on drill bit - you aren't trying to drive the head off, you are trying to set up vibrations to allow the penetraing oil to get into the shaft / hosel interface.
6) come back in 15 minutes, repeat step 5.
7) put shaft into a super good shaft gripper (like a plumber's tubing gripper), put the gripper in the vise with shaft horizontal, try to twist the head, clockwise (remember, there might be a left hand thread in the hosel).
8) if no luck, repeat steps 2 and 3, let it sit in the vice for a day, then try steps 4, 5, 6, and 7.
9) it could take a week.[/b]

- Can I still get leather grips similar to the originals?

[b]Probably not "similar", but you can still get leather grips from Gripmaster (google them or search in GolfWRX). The originals were handwork. Almost a lost art. If you seriously want to preserve a semi-original grip, you have two options a) find a local supplier of leather and see if he can supply similar to the leather that you carefully remove from the original clubs, the practice the re-wrapping technique until you have it down pretty good. b) get the Gripmaster grips; much easier to install from what I have heard, and also highly regarded.[/b]

- Does anyone make repro "Pro Fit" shaft bands or will I have to have them made? (I'd like the irons to at least "look" original...)

[b]Dunno about this one. My guess is "probably not".[/b]
[/quote]

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1317340975' post='3605183']
The reissue had more face progression and felt harder. I swear the bounce angle was lower and less playable.

T
[/quote]

I always felt that the remake was a sort of slimed down version of the original.

The original '58 and '59 DynaPowers were about 58*, with considerable bounce and sole width.

The remakes had a narrower sole and didn't weigh as much.

I have a '58 that I had rechromed and regrooved twice. I finally stopped using it because the rechromer ground off too much face progression.

Possibly the best 58/59 I ever found was a Patty Berg. It was a Staff DynaPower club, but just slightly smaller scale than the men's club. It's actually in one of my club racks or barrels----some place.

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1339239817' post='5056836']
[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1317340975' post='3605183']

T
[/quote]

I always felt that the remake was a sort of slimed down version of the original.

The original '58 and '59 DynaPowers were about 58*, with considerable bounce and sole width.

The remakes had a narrower sole and didn't weigh as much.

I have a '58 that I had rechromed and regrooved twice. I finally stopped using it because the rechromer ground off too much face progression.

Possibly the best 58/59 I ever found was a Patty Berg. It was a Staff DynaPower club, but just slightly smaller scale than the men's club. It's actually in one of my club racks or barrels----some place.

Texsport

Texsport
[/quote]

Were there 2 versions of the 58 sand wedge? A version with a wider sole, and a version with some of the trailing sole edge ground down?

There were utility wedges but only one SW model, unless you had a custom grind.

Wilson used to supply custom grinds to club pro staff members.

I have a PW ,made for a Louisiana pro, that was a SW head with the sole bounce ground down to about 10*.

I also have a Wilson Staff DynaPower PW made for Ray Floyd that appears to also be a special grind PW. It's stamped PW.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

• 4 years later...

Well, it's been what... four or five years since I started this thread? Wow. After I took these very nice irons apart and essentially ruined them, I hung them on my garage wall. They've been staring down at me for years as if to say, "Well? Now what'r you gonna do?". I still don't know what the *%$! I was thinking to pull perfectly good original shafts complete with excellent leather grips and fine shaft bands, but the past is the past.

Anyway… with a bag full of parts, some new grips, and a few sets of new ferrules from House of Forged to choose from, I set out to redeem myself and rebuild these beauties back into respectable playing condition. For a plan I settled on 1/2" or so longer than stock length, firmish or stiff flex, and swing weights around D2. I would try to build the set to C8 and add the rest of the weight with black silicone injected into the hole in the sole. I weighed the rough amount of silicone I thought would fill the cavity and shaft to approximately the same place as the original rubber, and it worked out to about 3 sw points. I'm no club builder so this was all just kind of a guess.

My first idea was to use TT DG S300 shafts but I changed my mind and installed Project X Flighted's in 5.0 flex hard-stepped once. I drilled/reamed each hosel carefully by hand, fitting each shaft as I went. The correct ferrules turned out to be difficult to locate or build myself so I settled on some longish Hogan style ones from HOF. They all needed reaming to fit but I think they turned out ok. I assembled the pieces and gripped with Lamkin full-cords. I am disappointed with the new Lamkin logo so I installed them logo forward so I don't have to look at it but still get an alignment mark. The "Project X" shaft labels were a little too flashy for a 1959ish look so removed them. After the epoxy set I checked and recorded all the specs and injected silicone rubber into the heads until the swing weights were all around D2-3, except the PW which I made D6. Pretty easy way to set the weights. If you inject too much you can just take a couple of swings and the stuff will slowly ooze back out. Handy! After that I adjusted the whole set to match original lofts and lies. I redid the paint-fill on the soles and while I still have to turn down the ferrules that's about it. Finally my once-beautiful iron set has been rebuilt into something useful again. They're not as nice as they were when I first got them, but at least they're not in a box somewhere. I played a quick 9 holes with them at a local muni and they felt great. I can't say very much about performance so far but I will say this - the sweet spot is small, high up on the face, and not easy to find. I'll post a review of sorts after I try them a few more times.

So there you have it: while it is possible to re-shaft early Wilsons for new technology shafts it's not easy to do. Hopefully this thread will serve to help others do the same thing in the future. My apologies for not responding to some of the questions and responses to my first posts but I was a very busy guy back then. I'm still pretty busy, but I will try harder to maintain this thread going forward.

Thanks to everyone for all the excellent input - I've learned a lot. This has been such an interesting project!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, those are the exact same Wilson Palmer clubs. They are amazing. I love how the old vintage wilsons have those similar styles and shapes. Its cool to see how some of my walter hagens are almost exaclty the same as well as they were also high end versions made by wilson thus the fluid feel in some of the Walter hagens. Check out this Hagen. Look familiar, same style?

Yes, those are the exact same Wilson Palmer clubs. They are amazing. I love how the old vintage wilsons have those similar styles and shapes. Its cool to see how some of my walter hagens are almost exaclty the same as well as they were also high end versions made by wilson thus the fluid feel in some of the Walter hagens. Check out this Hagen. Look familiar, same style?

I suppose the Arnold Palmers are the exact same heads but with different stampings. Both are equally appealing. I'm really liking the Glide Thru Sole thing, which is at least a 9 out of 10 on the Style-o-meter. ☺ I find it interesting that the AP's are sporting the "Reg. No." stamp.

As for Hagens, yes I'm on the lookout for a set but have not tried them yet. I go between Staff button-backs and Hogan Radials for my everyday play set and late 60's Ultradynes look like a melding of the two designs to me, which might be my perfect iron.

It seems like late 50's irons all look rather alike. That Hagen Ultra is very similar to the Wilson. I just picked up some 1959-60 Spaldings and they are much the same too:

Yaqui-

That Walter Hagen Ultra model was my first full LH iron set- minus the PW, which was either a Wilson or a Pedersen.

I sold them to one of the best players in the area (played Golf at Texas), who bought them for a friend of his- 30 years ago.

That "Designed by Arnold Palmer" stamp is the same as one they used for the putters...

And you have it on an iron set...

• 7 months later...

Look what I found at Goodwill for $1.50 the other day.

Appears to be a '59...

THE HOLY GRAIL!!!!

Nice find....btw, when do you ever work???

always going to Goodwill/Salvation Army/Play It Again....

just kidding....really nice find

Winter still bad up your way?

Thanks Augie!

I found it over the weekend!

It's been very mild up here...50's this weekend! WOOHOO!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Appears to be a '59...

THE HOLY GRAIL!!!!

August-

The '58 W/S Dynapower is considered the Holy Grail of Sand Wedges. The parallel sand blasted lines on the face

were not reproduced in any of the succeeding years...even the Remakes. Both the '57 and '59 models are great, but the '58 has both Fluid Feel and arrow on the hosel.

The 1958 Walter Hagen Ultra Powered Sand Iron would have the same face as the '58 Wilson Staff Dynapower. If you find one, check the hosel....

Appears to be a '59...

THE HOLY GRAIL!!!!

August-

The '58 W/S Dynapower is considered the Holy Grail of Sand Wedges. The parallel sand blasted lines on the face

were not reproduced in any of the succeeding years...even the Remakes. Both the '57 and '59 models are great, but the '58 has both Fluid Feel and arrow on the hosel.

The 1958 Walter Hagen Ultra Powered Sand Iron would have the same face as the '58 Wilson Staff Dynapower. If you find one, check the hosel....

Rex,

Other than aesthetics, are the '58 and '59 the same club?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I found this neat old set on my local Buy-n-Sell website. The pictures are all out of order, but you get the idea. They turned out quite nice after a little clean-up I thought and show little actual wear from play - just some bag chatter. They still have the original leather grips and the shaft bands are intact and good.

As for the irons, my original intention was to hang them on the wall but now that I've cleaned them up I'm not so sure... they are so gorgeous! I tried to play them but I can't hit them anywhere near as good as my FG-17's. The old leather grips look good but aren't very grippy and the shafts are a bit short where I need them a bit long.

Soooo... I have a new set of taper tip DGS300's waiting for a project and I think this may be it. I have several questions though...

- How are these heads going to play? The sole grind is somewhat old-skool and the heads feel kind of heavy.

- Do these heads take taper or parallel tip shafts? Will the bore-through hosel give me any trouble?

- Can I still get leather grips similar to the originals?

- Does anyone make repro "Pro Fit" shaft bands or will I have to have them made? (I'd like the irons to at least "look" original...)

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have.

Grant

Saskatoon, SK.

Canada

The 2-9 look to me like 1959. They have the smoother refined lines than the 57 or 58's. The black button on the bottom is indicative of pre 1960 as well. I think Wilson started using a red material in the bored-our hosel in around 1960. The wedge is a later model: early or mid 1960's with the "turfrider sole". Great irons. Do they have the flat sided "reminder grip" or the round leather?

If you just want to try them out before you go to the hassle of reshafting them, why not remove the grips on a couple of them and add shaft extenders. Then regrip 'em and rip 'em.

Good Luck,

Bob

I agree on '59 models - the '58 had a small arrow on the hosels pointing down to the black button sole.

Played the '58 irons for maybe 5 years('75 -'80), and the '58 SW for at least 10 years. DG S-500 shafts were my shaft of choice in 'em.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Appears to be a '59...

THE HOLY GRAIL!!!!

August-

I'd count the '57, '58, '59, and '60 DynaPower wedges all in the same class. It may have been '58 when they changed the name from DynaPowered to DynaPower.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Appears to be a '59...

Too bad you got stung for that ratty old thing. I guess I'd take it off your hands - just to help you out. ☺

Seriously, what an awesome find! I love the wear on it too. Man, I wish goodwill stores up here had stuff like that. Score!

Appears to be a '59...

THE HOLY GRAIL!!!!

August-

Rex,

HAB-

Somewhere in the past, Robert Mendralla (RIP)was among those asked about the last Wilson Designed By Arnold Palmer '63 putters and those very first '64 8802 models which, other than aesthetics, were the same club.

The aesthetics are what make them different clubs.

Given the choice between any and all the early '57 to '61 Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedge models, which one would you pick?

Which one did Texsport admit to playing for 10 years and rechromings? (Yes, I read what he said, but Texsport also was nice enough to describe what he did.)

The '58 model has frosted parallel frames for the scoring lines, both Fluid Feel and arrow stampings on the hosel, Dyna-Powered, Staff Model, and Flag shield.

The Golf Club ID and Price Guide shows equal value to the '58 and '59, but Farinos American Golf Classics calls the '58 Dynapower Sand Wedge

"...the most popular Sand Wedge ever designed. Played by hundreds of tour players."

There is no doubt you have an absolute gem in that '59 Staff Dynapower. Someone even posted their '93 limited remake of a '59.

But it's the '58 Staff Dynapower which leads the class of Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedges.

Yep, Wilson made some great Sand Wedges. Lots of models.

One secret, for DynaPower Sand Wedge fans is the the '58 Patty Berg DynaPower Sand Wedge is the same as the men's model - and might be easier to find in mint condition for little money.

My daughter still has one of those '58 Patty Berg's in her bag!

The best DynaPower SW I ever played was one of Tour veteran Andy Bean's. It is either a '58 or '59 I recall. I've still hit it while practicing occasionally, to remind myself how the best wedge should perform. I'd play it but don't want to wear it out.

Heavy, with a really stiff shaft, and still is the best SW I own for hitting a variety of bunker shots. It absolutely blows everything else away for long bunker shots. Squaring up the face slightly and using more of a U-shaped swing is magical with that thing.

I began collecting those back in the 1970s, as they were considered the best then - and possibly still are. Taylor Made just issued their 2017 line of Tour Ground wedges and they look like dead copies of the '58, with extra grinding - beauties!

I'd estimate I own about 25 DynaPower SW - including 4 Tour Issued examples.

And regardless of models or years - IMO - the pinnacle of DynaPower SW has got to be the Tour Issued versions, no matter what year! The best SW ever made for and played by one of the best players - Wow!

And remember, Tour players can get about anything they want. Wilson used to offer DynaPower SW without the Fluid Feel sole button to pros. I've got a couple of those, as well as a '58 custom PW I also played for at least 10 years and 1 rechrome.

Another note on Sand Wedge shafts. ---- Some of the greatest bunker players used X flex shafts in their SW, on the theory that they can spin it better from the bunker and grass with that shaft. The other end of the spectrum would be the Phil Rodgers designed Cobra Trusty Rusty SW which aims to stop the ball with high trajectory created by a very soft flex shaft. These days the KBS Hi-Rev shaft is interesting.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Appears to be a '59...

THE HOLY GRAIL!!!!

August-

Rex,

HAB-

Somewhere in the past, Robert Mendralla (RIP)was among those asked about the last Wilson Designed By Arnold Palmer '63 putters and those very first '64 8802 models which, other than aesthetics, were the same club.

The aesthetics are what make them different clubs.

Given the choice between any and all the early '57 to '61 Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedge models, which one would you pick?

Which one did Texsport admit to playing for 10 years and rechromings? (Yes, I read what he said, but Texsport also was nice enough to describe what he did.)

The '58 model has frosted parallel frames for the scoring lines, both Fluid Feel and arrow stampings on the hosel, Dyna-Powered, Staff Model, and Flag shield.

The Golf Club ID and Price Guide shows equal value to the '58 and '59, but Farinos American Golf Classics calls the '58 Dynapower Sand Wedge

"...the most popular Sand Wedge ever designed. Played by hundreds of tour players."

There is no doubt you have an absolute gem in that '59 Staff Dynapower. Someone even posted their '93 limited remake of a '59.

But it's the '58 Staff Dynapower which leads the class of Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedges.

Rex,

Can you post some face pics of a '58 Sand wedge?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS