2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Dyna-Powered questions

HAB-

A '57????

SDP 168...

Yours is the lowest custom number for a Staff Dyna-Powered iron I have ever seen. Have a few 4 digit ones for iron sets, but not with just 3.

Prior to 2014, Wilson allowed those with accounts access to the 3 ring binders which kept the custom information as to who this particular golf club was made for.

Wilson closed the doors of that unit, citing "...declining interest, downsizing, and employee retirements and turnover."

One of the grinders of Wilson irons confirmed for me the existence of the binders this past year (thanks Freddie)

This former Wilson grinder, now retired and living in AZ, also opined these 3 ring binders may very well be in the hands of Robert Mendralla, Jr.

As I've already noted, 2014 was Wilsons Centennnial, and they honored their past history by offering a commemorative model of RH ONLY Wilson Staff FG Tour Forged 100 irons.

More info later.

August-

You got a 1971 Wilson Staff Buttonback Dynapower Sand Wedge?.....with toasted grooves?

You might want to go back into the Wrx archives, and see what some folks wrote on this particular model...and what word isn't stamped on the club...

Not a Dynapower SW - and, it looks like someone substituted a different button...still pretty toasted overall

I'm pretty sure that's a 1971 Dynapower button back sand wedge. A bit of a rare club actually. I haven't been able to find one yet despite having several sets of 71's. It is a Dynapower but for some reason Wilson didn't stamp it in there. Yours is a bit worn, but in my humble opinion is quite beautiful. It's got character and was obviously loved by someone out there. Thanks for posting a pic of it.

Thanks for your input on this club.

Many years ago, a member at a club where I was an AP created a couple of tungsten carbide "bits" for keeping grooves sharp. Had all the correct angles built into the bits. I have used it on my '73 Apex satin backs to keep them very playable. Even though the faces are browned (like this SW) the grooves are really sharp. So, I think that I will attack this wedge to see if I can restore the grooves into some semblance of "sharpness".

Only thing is, it is an aluminum shaft, and the grip is a really slick, hard old Victory.....I guess I'll play with it some and see what comes of it.

So...you are saying that the word "Dynapower" is the word not stamped on the club???

I've had this forever, but due to the aluminum shaft (which I guess wasn't all that unusual for '71) I really hadn't done anything with it. You've given me new hope for this club!

Thanks again for your input. While rummaging around to find this, I also found another old club: an old MacGregor 945w 3-wood with original MacGregor True Temper "C" shaft (red shaft band) and swept back sole plate. and serial # 202706. Shaft exhibits some pitting (which it must have had before I got it, because I've always had my clubs in a climate controlled environment). A little chip in the wood near the bottom of the 6 screw insert, heel side. Absolutely everything looks original, including the whipping (which seems odd to me, since I've seen so many old clubs where the whipping was either replaced, or gone entirely).

Since becoming "semi-retired", I've wondered what to do with all my "spare" time.

If I hadn't just dropped my phone (again) and (apparently) farked up the micro sd card, I would post a couple pics. I'll dig out the digital camera and get some, and looks like I will attempt a renovation of this club,

Original leather wrap grip in good (but slick) condition.

Looks like a real player, and another addition to older vintage things that I haven't really worked at

Speaking of Robert Mendralla, does anyone else have any of the Wilson Staff Mandralla- Curtis Strange prototype wedges sold on eBay about a year ago, when Bob Mendralla's family liquidated his clubs? I got 3 or 4 of them but there were more.

All stamped with a CS and number.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Tex-

Got any photos with your story?

A very good golf friend of mine (RIP) told me a tale of when Curtis Strange was shopping around for a new club deal- Anyone remember Strange signed with Ram?

Wilson brought at least 4 different prototype custom iron sets, maybe more, down to Strange at Virginia Beach, VA for him to try out.

After trying some of the iron sets, Strange supposedly said something not so complimentary, and left- leaving the Wilson custom iron sets on the range.

Someone asked my friend if he wanted one or more of the sets of Wilson irons. He didn't say no.

I

Tex-

Got any photos with your story?

A very good golf friend of mine (RIP) told me a tale of when Curtis Strange was shopping around for a new club deal- Anyone remember Strange signed with Ram?

Wilson brought at least 4 different prototype custom iron sets, maybe more, down to Strange at Virginia Beach, VA for him to try out.

After trying some of the iron sets, Strange supposedly said something not so complimentary, and left- leaving the Wilson custom iron sets on the range.

Someone asked my friend if he wanted one or more of the sets of Wilson irons. He didn't say no.

I'll look for the clubs and will take some pics.

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Tex-

Yours might well be some of those custom ground ones documented in "those 3 ring binders" of Wilson golf clubs.

Sadly, we may never know.

I have 2 SW - both absolutely mint, perfect chrome and faces, never hit. Pure prototypes I think.

Mine marked C S 4 and C S 5 - so looks like at least 5 in the series.

The CS4 is a medium width sole SW with a semi-circular relief in the rear-center.

The CS5 looks much like a DynaPower SW - 56* 13* Bounce stamped on sole.

Interestingly, both have thick top lines on the blades.

Will post pics of mine

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

• 3 weeks later...

Here are 2 of the Mendralla Curtis Strange SW I have.

CS4 - DynaPower-like

CS5 - rear sole relief

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

3 Tour Wilson Sand Wedges - all DynaPowered style

L to R

HALE IRWIN

ANDY BEAN

GEORGE BURNS

Burns and Irwin are red button, Bean has no heel bore button (custom I believe)

The Bean is the best DynaPowered SW I've played. It is heavy and has a very stiff shaft - stiffer than DG X-100.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Tex-

Irwins '69 Staff Model SW looks new, and "Hale irwin" is stamped where the Dynapower would be.

Beans '59 Dyna powered SW looks more raw than the other two. Any idea of the swingweight?

Burns '87 Staff Tour Blade with Fluid Feel drill thru hosel "GB"seems like he might have wanted something like Beans, but "not as heavy."

Exceptional clubs.

rex

I have a whole set of the Irwins - '69 Bulletback set - I think they may be a commemorative edition.

Bean is oldest and just worn - chrome and paint, though sole not that worn. There's a chance it may be a newer custom made for him. I haven't measured swing weight but I'd guess D-7 or higher. (I play D-5/6 wedges)

I have several of Burns' wedges - maybe the prettiest is a Palmer that's DynaPowered-like.

Another beauty is a First Flight SW I bought from an east coast pro years ago - he swore Arnie gave it to him. Has a parallel taper grip with a couple of red lines for choking down. The grip is a similar diameter even when choked down.

Lots of wedges in my barrels - probably >100.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Tex-

Have you posted that DynaPowered like Palmer First Flight SW before?

Somewhere else possibly, but not here.

I'll work on it

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

rex

I have a whole set of the Irwins - '69 Bulletback set - I think they may be a commemorative edition.

Bean is oldest and just worn - chrome and paint, though sole not that worn. There's a chance it may be a newer custom made for him. I haven't measured swing weight but I'd guess D-7 or higher. (I play D-5/6 wedges)

I have several of Burns' wedges - maybe the prettiest is a Palmer that's DynaPowered-like.

Another beauty is a First Flight SW I bought from an east coast pro years ago - he swore Arnie gave it to him. Has a parallel taper grip with a couple of red lines for choking down. The grip is a similar diameter even when choked down.

Texsport

That grip is a Percise Wedge Grip made by AME grips of BMX fame.

I use those grips on all of my clubs, not just wedges. Mine are all black, but have black lines to "suggest" where to choke down.

rex

Texsport

That grip is a Percise Wedge Grip made by AME grips of BMX fame.

I use those grips on all of my clubs, not just wedges. Mine are all black, but have black lines to "suggest" where to choke down.

That may be a current manufacturer, but were they in business in the late 1950s or early 1960s - when my club was made?

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Another RAY FLOYD DynaPowered wedge.

Dynamic X shaft(Small black band) and Wilson Staff leather grip.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Tex-

The '75 Dynapower Sand Wedge- custom made for "LB Floyd's son... Raymond"

Wasn't his sister Marlene Floyd also on the LPGA Tour?

The last of the highly imitated Wilson Staff Dynapower wedge series from 1957-1975.

Although it does NOT have the "Fluid Feel" drill-thru hosel and button, a few pros opted for this Sand Wedge, plus it is a custom Dynapower, ...and

Didn't Ray Floyd win the '76 Masters..by a bunch?.

Yep - won '76 Masters by 8 shots over Ben Crenshaw. Also won U S Open and PGA twice. 65 pro victories and 22 of them on PGA Tour.

Ray Floyd won 4 PGA Tour majors + 28 top 10 finishes in majors.

He also won 4 Senior Tour majors.

A great Hall of Fame player.

Marlene Floyd, his sister, played on the LPGA Tour.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

What I remember most about Floyd , other than his unique swing was the Zebra Putter he used

Long shafted upright model to allow practice with a bad back, as I recall.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

I just confirmed (via Wikipedia so always a little suspect but) that Floyd did in fact win the Doral event in 1992 then later in the year won on the Senior Tour to be the first person to win on both in the same year. Good career with 4 Majors and 22 overall victories on the PGA Tour with 65 total professional wins. The main thing I remember was how good a chipper he was so I bet that wedge is mighty fine Texsport!

RF's PW, which he used for chipping, is 50*, with an X shaft.

Some of the greatest short game pros - Ray Floyd and Jose Maria Olazabal, for instance - used very stiff shafted wedges. Distance control I believe. They don't want the shaft adding distance or spin to their finely tuned swings - not trying to see how far they could hit a wedge - ever.

Texsport

• Like 1

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Yep - the steely-eyed, intimidating stare!

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Anyone try reshafting 68-69 Staff Dynapower aluminum shafts?

These are my favorite clubheads and I'd like to pull these shafts out.

Thanks!

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet