2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Dyna-Powered questions

These have the face lines like the '58 DynaPowers, but the lines were just a carry over from the '56 and '57 Wilsons and Hagens which also had the face lines, so these Hagens strike me as "56 or '57 models. The back raised area is more prominent/protruding than the '58 and the earlier blades are slightly lower sole-to-top making them appear to be longer hosel-to-toe, though close in size to the '58 Wilsons. The soles are the same as the '58 Wilsons - flat with cambered leading edge. The degree of offset is the same I think.

I played a '57 Wilson DynaPower SW after I wore out my '58s and '59s over the years. Also played a '60 model.

'56 or '57 is my best guess on these Hagens.

Sweet clubs!

Texsport

Tex,

So, you're saying the frosted parallel lines on these faces were on the '56, '57 & '58 WS Dyna-Powered Staff Model irons and the WH Haig Ultra Power irons of the same years, correct???

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

That's what I think.

I'll do some research and see if I can verify.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Tex-

Have only found frosted parallel lines on the '58 W/S Dynapower irons, including the Sand Wedge (which you own, and have shown photos of.)

The W/S '58s Dynapowers also have both the Fluid Feel and the arrow on their drill-thru hosels.

Have posted photos of the LH '58 Dynapower irons which show these features earlier in the thread.

That was why it's not much of a stretch to see Walter Hagen Ultra Power irons with the same parallel lines, and Fluid Feel drill thru hosels.

Have no problem If you say the Hagens are '57s. One thing is certain- to find a '58 Haig Ultra Sand Iron is rare.

Will consult with my friends at Walter Hagen. Might even find a few different Sand Iron models.

Interested in what you find.

Info on 60 year old clubs is becoming scarce and memories fade.

Back in those days, I always thought of the Hagen line as one step higher than W/S, at least that is how they seemed to be marketed.

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Upon further study I note - my earlier comments were likely incorrect!

Because -

1 - only W/S '58 Dyna-powered irons have the unfrosted lines on the faces - not on '56,'57 or '59.

2 - The script Dyna appeared 1st in '58 on W/S and was used on '58 and '59. By '60 W/S returned to block lettered DYNA

3 - The shield with W/S 1st appeared on the Dyna-Powered '60 model.

So, examining the Haig irons-

They have features only found on '58 - '60 W/S irons.

The question seems to be-

1 - did Haig and W/S make changes simultaneously on the script Dyna and Ultra + unfrosted face lines?

2 - did Haig use the W/S in shield before W/S?

Bottom line - the simplest solution is the most likely(Occam's Razor) -

1 - Using script Dyna and Ultra + unfrosted face lines in the same years - seems logical

2 - The shield with W/S is a '60 feature on Wilsons, but may have been earlier on Haigs.

3 - The Hagens have no heel arrow, but no Hagens ever did as far as I know. Only 1 year on W/S and extra work/cost to stamp, so understandable if discontinued after 1 year.

So, the Haig irons, above,may indeed be the '58 model. More evidence points to it than not.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

• 2 months later...

Here are pics of some recently acquired items...

ORIGINAL 1956 - 1957 Wilson Staff == DYNA-POWERED --> STAFF MODEL sand wedge with SDP168 custom stamp

including Tam O'Shanter golf course leather wrap

REMAKE 1958 Wilson Staff Dyna-POWERED STAFF MODEL sand wedge

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Sweet! I played those 2 years' wedges for a dozen years at least.

Some of the best SW ever made!

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Alan,

That's some serious metal you got your hands on!!!

Thanks Randy!

Come up to Chicago with Stu & Augie next summer and I'll set all of you up with irons, putters, wedges, WOODS, bags and even BALATA!!!

Now THAT sounds like a plan....'cept I believe Stu is off the juice...oh well, a built-in DD

Sweet iron BWT.

I found a WS Buttonback SW, but grooves are pretty much toast. I don't think that it even rates a pic.

HAB-

A '57????

SDP 168...

Yours is the lowest custom number for a Staff Dyna-Powered iron I have ever seen. Have a few 4 digit ones for iron sets, but not with just 3.

Prior to 2014, Wilson allowed those with accounts access to the 3 ring binders which kept the custom information as to who this particular golf club was made for.

Wilson closed the doors of that unit, citing "...declining interest, downsizing, and employee retirements and turnover."

One of the grinders of Wilson irons confirmed for me the existence of the binders this past year (thanks Freddie)

This former Wilson grinder, now retired and living in AZ, also opined these 3 ring binders may very well be in the hands of Robert Mendralla, Jr.

As I've already noted, 2014 was Wilsons Centennnial, and they honored their past history by offering a commemorative model of RH ONLY Wilson Staff FG Tour Forged 100 irons.

More info later.

August-

You got a 1971 Wilson Staff Buttonback Dynapower Sand Wedge?.....with toasted grooves?

You might want to go back into the Wrx archives, and see what some folks wrote on this particular model...and what word isn't stamped on the club...

Alan,

Thanks Randy!

Come up to Chicago with Stu & Augie next summer and I'll set all of you up with irons, putters, wedges, WOODS, bags and even BALATA!!!

Now THAT sounds like a plan....'cept I believe Stu is off the juice...oh well, a built-in DD

Sweet iron BWT.

I found a WS Buttonback SW, but grooves are pretty much toast. I don't think that it even rates a pic.

That is correct but I do drink A beer every now and again---- Yep I could be a DD because I am a professional driver by trade among other things.

BTW since we are talking Wilson wedges and you guys know the soft spot I have for JPs I did put another wedge in my bag along with my Muirfields and practiced with it Sunday afternoon and Monday afternoon. It is a 65 to 67 Staff (according to iron finder) triple duty I picked up at GW a couple of years ago. I did have to lead tape it up per my norm but that thing works good. We are getting bad weather on the coast and this weekend looks like a washout too so I may have to wait a week or two to try it

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Alan,

Thanks Randy!

Sweet iron BWT.

Thanks Augie!

I'm serious, you guys need to make a road trip up here and we'll hit the links everyday. I'll set you up with Hogan's, Randy gets his choice of Wilson's and Stu gets his choice of MacGregor's. Then we'll rotate the next day! And so on!!! It would be an absolutely crazy, fun time!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

HAB-

A '57????

SDP 168...

Yours is the lowest custom number for a Staff Dyna-Powered iron I have ever seen. Have a few 4 digit ones for iron sets, but not with just 3.

Prior to 2014, Wilson allowed those with accounts access to the 3 ring binders which kept the custom information as to who this particular golf club was made for.

Wilson closed the doors of that unit, citing "...declining interest, downsizing, and employee retirements and turnover."

One of the grinders of Wilson irons confirmed for me the existence of the binders this past year (thanks Freddie)

This former Wilson grinder, now retired and living in AZ, also opined these 3 ring binders may very well be in the hands of Robert Mendralla, Jr.

As I've already noted, 2014 was Wilsons Centennnial, and they honored their past history by offering a commemorative model of RH ONLY Wilson Staff FG Tour Forged 100 irons.

More info later.

August-

You got a 1971 Wilson Staff Buttonback Dynapower Sand Wedge?.....with toasted grooves?

You might want to go back into the Wrx archives, and see what some folks wrote on this particular model...and what word isn't stamped on the club...

Will do - won't be playing much golf around here this weekind

Alan,

Thanks Randy!

Sweet iron BWT.

Thanks Augie!

I'm serious, you guys need to make a road trip up here and we'll hit the links everyday. I'll set you up with Hogan's, Randy gets his choice of Wilson's and Stu gets his choice of MacGregor's. Then we'll rotate the next day! And so on!!! It would be an absolutely crazy, fun time!

And I was hoping to play my Shamrocks plus my PowerBilt 1-4 woods. And whatever classic flat sticks I happen to bring along

HAB-

A '57????

SDP 168...

More info later.

August-

Rex,

I knew you'd appreciate my find! I actually have more to show off! I think one guy donated all his Wilson wedges at once and I was the lucky one who found them.

How about that '57??? Wait till you see how clean the face is!!! There is a name painted on the ferrule in cursive that reads "Lou Strong". I wonder if he was at Tam O'Shanter GC here in Niles, IL in the mid/late '50s, maybe a pro???

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

HAB-

SDP- 168 - Lou Strong, Tam O Shanter CC.

... And that's why you look for these diamonds. Nothing like holding a little history in your hands, is there?

This was Wilson at it's finest. Imagine there are a few others with some stories, but the Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedges....

Now, go look at the "Red button" on the drill thru hosel of those new Taylor Made Milled Wedges....

Hmmm....wonder where that came from?

Flash! More to the story of Lou Strong....

ORIGINAL 1956 - 1957 Wilson Staff == DYNA-POWERED --> STAFF MODEL sand wedge with SDP168 custom stamp

you are a master scrounger to score that original staff wedge! have you gamed it? I am still on cloud 9 after scoring my original 1959

73 hogan apex

you are a master scrounger to score that original staff wedge! have you gamed it? I am still on cloud 9 after scoring my original 1959

I just picked it up recently. Our summer is over here and Winter has found Chicagoland again...so, no I haven't gamed it yet. C'mon Spring!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

HAB-

A '57????

SDP 168...

More info later.

August-

Rex,

I knew you'd appreciate my find! I actually have more to show off! I think one guy donated all his Wilson wedges at once and I was the lucky one who found them.

How about that '57??? Wait till you see how clean the face is!!! There is a name painted on the ferrule in cursive that reads "Lou Strong". I wonder if he was at Tam O'Shanter GC here in Niles, IL in the mid/late '50s, maybe a pro???

Check out the wear on this 60 year old face!!!

The "Lou Strong" autographed ferrule!

The '58 Remake face...was this club ever used???

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

HAB-

A '57????

SDP 168...

More info later.

August-

Not a Dynapower SW - and, it looks like someone substituted a different button...still pretty toasted overall

HAB-

A '57????

SDP 168...

More info later.

August-

Not a Dynapower SW - and, it looks like someone substituted a different button...still pretty toasted overall

I'm pretty sure that's a 1971 Dynapower button back sand wedge. A bit of a rare club actually. I haven't been able to find one yet despite having several sets of 71's. It is a Dynapower but for some reason Wilson didn't stamp it in there. Yours is a bit worn, but in my humble opinion is quite beautiful. It's got character and was obviously loved by someone out there. Thanks for posting a pic of it.

HAB-

A '57????

SDP 168...

More info later.

August-

Nothing a white vinegar soak, some steel wool, and a brass brush couldn't put back into playing condition.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Thanks! I seem to have a new knack of finding Wilson Staff wedges all of a sudden.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS