Could Ben Hogan Use a 1-iron?

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1311763130' post='3427862']
Wow,

It's just my method as to how to swing a 1 iron from what I learned from elite pro's.

A great swing doesn't make a great golfer, golf is a game. A swing is a swing and no two alike, Hogan never swung the same way twice.

He adapted his swing for the shot in mind.

But I believe that is how hogan cured his hook and kept the face from closing with the turn.

5L's ? I have given many copies to students of the game.

So my opinion or method is the only one that matters.

Till I find one better.

[/quote]

So it's not about hogan? With all those contradictions and typos about how he swung it would have looked seriously ordinary

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1311734370' post='3427269']
You better believe he was big, caught a guy breaking in to his driving range so hit the guy so hard in the mouth he was choking to death.

Austin reset his jaw and took him to the hospital.

The guy thanked him.
[/quote]

Seriously WTF has this drivel got to do with Hogans golf swing

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1311766857' post='3427914']

[/quote]

Nothing,

One wrote he was a big blow hard.

Character assination.

I took the word big and turned it to say he had big Character. Enough to punch a theif in the face then care enough to get him to a hospital.

vs letting him die on the floor.

He was great individual who tried to help others and better the game of golf.

The science of kinesiology, the PGA wanted no part of it.

Mike did not like the books that were written at the time as most were penned by ghost writers with only tips from the players.

Hogan said himself he explained how he felt about the swing for 5L's at the time.

You better believe he was big, caught a guy breaking in to his driving range so hit the guy so hard in the mouth he was choking to death.

The guy thanked him.
[/quote]

[/quote]
originally directed @ me, it was so out of place and written in anger, must be what he'd like to do to non-believers who dare challenge Austin.
:vava:
ouch, someone around here is AWFULLY sensitive

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

[quote name='grahler' timestamp='1311734567' post='3427280']
Jamie Sadlowski is a long drive champ-but Hunter Mahan is a BETTER GOLFER.

Long driving is not golf.

Looking at video of Austin is just not that impressive.

It reminds me of the Tao Te Ching.

Those who speak do not know

Those who know do not speak

I think a conscious effort to double rotate is a theory-what proof is there that any golfer had this intent?

Its way overcomplicating things and overdramatizing it.

Austin-the hustler

Hogan the golfer.

Nuff said.

The reason I have gone there is that any good engineer will tell you that the best way to solve a problem is the SIMPLEST way. Hogan's own words on the downswing I think of ONE THING HITTING THE BALL SOMETIMES HARD.
He put himself in position to do that by design.
He did not need thoughts about a triple throwdown twist medial collateral damage inward humorous rotative driving nuclear holocaust super spin release that held the club square he just did it.
Hogan also never went out and wore a ridiculous monkey suit and panhandled around pretending to be a golfer for money.

I am done in this thread.
[/quote]

I thought you were done with this thread? Your love affair with Ben Hogan has blinded you. You probably only play the game on your gameboy.

Your attacks on Mike are OK, but Squish's theories aren't? Mike was a very good friend of mine and I have no doubts you would have been suitably impressed by his skills. Not just on the course, but off as well. Your attacks of jealously don't become you at all. You said you were done with this thread but continued on....what changed your mind?

Squish has been squeezed off of worse threads by "grahler type clones" and has always maintained his sunny outlook. He's the most serious student of the game I've encountered. Grahler..you should get some real clubs and try the game...you might learn something.

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1311768432' post='3427945']

The guy thanked him.
[/quote]

[/quote]
originally directed @ me, it was so out of place and written in anger, must be what he'd like to do to non-believers who dare challenge Austin.
:vava:
ouch, someone around here is AWFULLY sensitive
[/quote]

I cry watching the political news of the day.

What I got from Austin is kinesiology and play pain free at 60.

[b]"Austin-the hustler
Hogan the golfer.
Enough said".[/b]

This is a good point

Not being argumentative but Hogan [b]was[/b] a hustler, as most golfers were at the time.
He learned from a hustler like like Alvin Thomas at a young age.
Most made more money within the practice rounds against the country clubbers also.

About Titanic Thompson;
"If he wasn't roping some rubes into a doubles match for which he got "stuck" with a "passerby" partner (in reality, a young Ben Hogan),
he was tilting the odds in other ways". And safe bet Hogan happily took the money He and Ben would set up squirrels as Alvin called them.

Hogan learned from the best, it was a way of life back then just to eat.
Ben tried to hustle even in his later years playing on one leg and liked to change the odds when seldom losing.
At times he would just walk away if he was going to lose.

Different game back then when [b]your money[/b] was on the line and not some sponsors like today.

I'm just saying these guys had it rough.
Thompson shot and killed a caddie who tried to rob him and quite a few others over debts, and never served time.
Hogan called him the best shot maker he ever knew.

Hogan wasn't holy.

[quote name='grahler' timestamp='1311734567' post='3427280']
Jamie Sadlowski is a long drive champ-but Hunter Mahan is a BETTER GOLFER.

Long driving is not golf.

Looking at video of Austin is just not that impressive.

It reminds me of the Tao Te Ching.

Those who speak do not know

Those who know do not speak

I think a conscious effort to double rotate is a theory-what proof is there that any golfer had this intent?

Its way overcomplicating things and overdramatizing it.

Austin-the hustler

Hogan the golfer.

Nuff said.

The reason I have gone there is that any good engineer will tell you that the best way to solve a problem is the SIMPLEST way. Hogan's own words on the downswing I think of ONE THING HITTING THE BALL SOMETIMES HARD.
He put himself in position to do that by design.
He did not need thoughts about a triple throwdown twist medial collateral damage inward humorous rotative driving nuclear holocaust super spin release that held the club square he just did it.
Hogan also never went out and wore a ridiculous monkey suit and panhandled around pretending to be a golfer for money.

I am done in this thread.
[/quote]

(Whoa. The discussion suffered a mini-meltdown.)

Grahler,

You wrote that "any [b]good engineer [/b]will tell you that the best way to solve a problem is the SIMPLEST way."

Okay, I'll bite.

I spend half of my waking hours working with engineers. As any [b]experienced engineer [/b]will testify, many times the solution to a problem is pleasantly, surprisingly basic, but frequently the simplest solution happens to be complex enough to make one's eyes cross. It is always up to the non-satisfied engineer in the group to come up with a simpler solution in the event of discontent. Sometimes, a simpler solution presents itself and the previous solution is abandoned.

Ben Hogan tried very hard to simplify instruction regarding how to swing a golf club. People in this internet sector quibble, argue, investigate, share successes and endlessly debate the meaning of the passages & illustrations in Five Lessons. Much like yourself, many of us have read Hogan's books more than once. As we both know, those little books - Power Golf & Five Lessons - albeit interesting, are anything but basic.

So, in the interest of better golf, would you please grant the group the favor of explaining, in the simplest way possible, the best manner of swinging a golf club, preferably a 1-iron? Furthermore, as Bobby Jones aptly noted in Keep Em on the Fairway, "We've all seen a lot of armchair golfers who know exactly what to do, but are never quite able to do it." If you feel up to it, would you mind posting a quick video of your 1-iron swing, possibly demonstrating a swing for the group with and without divot?

Very interested in your take on this important matter.

Simple, effective golf instruction that produces power, efficiency and accuracy. We would all be indebted to you.

[quote name='grahler' timestamp='1311829354' post='3430486']
How many PGA tournaments did Austin win?

How many did Hogan win?
[/quote]

Of course Hogan was the great one and on the tour, he took his swing and a great warrior mind and won.
I tell you Austin explains the swing in different terms at a more seminal level.
That is what is so valuable for me.

Hogan learned how to win using course management his swing was his swing, that's all.
He tells us it didn't come natural he busted his a** to keep it in gear.

He had the wrong Hogan, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Aa15hH154&NR=1

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

The guy thanked him.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Eightiron, Joegolfwrx, and Grahler are excellent "hall monitors" on these threads, but that's about it. It's no wonder other folks don't contribute their thoughts. I've yet to come across as serious a swing student as Squish. He knows Hogan better than most. If you weren't so jealous, you might learn something.

Unlike Grahler, who mentioned he "was done with this thread", but returned....I am. Hogan would have called you guys "looky lews". You look and criticize, but can't deliver.

Finally, Mike Austin was a giant in every possible way and your comments only make him bigger.

edit:{[i][i] twostroke you deleted your post so now i have to edit mine, so ignoring the dr phil pop psychology BS your basically saying .... }[/i][/i]

so more squish corkscrew stall flip throw, thats the hogan way to ramp it up and turn the corner ?

oh, and if you dont agree your a 'hall monitor', according to the monitor of the hall monitors.

[quote name='Not Yogi' timestamp='1311883654' post='3432134']

Eightiron, Joegolfwrx, and Grahler are excellent "hall monitors" on these threads, but that's about it. It's no wonder other folks don't contribute their thoughts. I've yet to come across as serious a swing student as Squish. He knows Hogan better than most. If you weren't so jealous, you might learn something.

Unlike Grahler, who mentioned he "was done with this thread", but returned....I am. Hogan would have called you guys "looky lews". You look and criticize, but can't deliver.

Finally, Mike Austin was a giant in every possible way and your comments only make him bigger.
[/quote]

You must be right , tell you what ... let me know how this can teach me anything

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmMvGxYfnmg"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mmMvGxYfnmg[/url]

Unlike Grahler, who mentioned he "was done with this thread", but returned....I am.
[/quote]
Squish does this apply to all of your aliases or just "Not Yogi"?

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1311897326' post='3432690']
Unlike Grahler, who mentioned he "was done with this thread", but returned....I am.
[/quote]
[/quote]

No, I'm not notyogi; but I wish I was in the 1980's.
He worked with Stephen Stills of Crosby Stills Nash and other greats back then, and golfed with Count Yogi for years.
Another great teacher to the stars in Hollywood.

Back in the day these guy's like Austin and Yogi and Joe Norwood were getting big money for lessons.
Howard Hughes, Mohammed Ali called Yogi the greatest ever.
Again a different very different time.
These guy's were teachers but the could also play well.
The count was part Indian, Jewish "not on tour" but could Hit with a tree branch farther than most with a standard club.
The Pro's like Billy Casper, and yes Hogan even visited and played with these teachers/artists of the game.
Give Yogi a metal ball on a string attached to a grip and yep, right down the middle.
I have seen video of yogi putting with a string attached to coke bottle making every putt.

These guys studied and understood the physics of the game at a very basic level.
Yogi wasn't a muscle man like Austin and could putt and beat anybody.
Austin built up his forearms and like hogan did with twisting wet towel exercises jacked up their putting games with scar tissue.
Later they developed the yips, a shaky nervous twitch trying to keep the putter still during the stroke.
Hogan would have won a lot more without that disease.

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1311893334' post='3432534']
You must be right , tell you what ... let me know how this can teach me anything

[/quote]

It can't teach you anything, a teacher can only influence one to learn.
The student has to do the work. Practice more than you play.
It was posted to show that I follow the club head and let the body react, letting the arms extend through the shot,
and away from the body.
It is a careful swing as the area of the yard is limited. So I had to hold back and check the swing.

You can't hit the ball great distances letting the club react trying to hit with only the body turn, as one hits that 265 wall.
One has to accelerate the club head. Hit the ball from the top.
The pivot brings that hit that primary force into position. The leverage of the lower is a secondary force.
It can however add a bit extra. Rory is a good example.

[quote name='JOEGOLFWRX' timestamp='1311873608' post='3431627']
i cant figure out how the wedge swing becomes a 300 yard drive. what do you do, squish more, corkscrew release more ? ..exaggerate more, lol.
[/quote]

You pivot faster as you throw faster.
Simple as that, like you say ramp it up.
A proper stance width and spine swing is very crucial.
You can't get it too far forward too soon. You have to be behind the ball.
That is why it is so important to have to clear the left while hitting the ball from the top as ones only thought.
Follow the clubhead; the only sense point for that is at the base of the right forefinger.
You hit with your hands.

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1311937408' post='3433432']

It can't teach you anything, a teacher can only influence one to learn.
The student has to do the work. Practice more than you play.
It was posted to show that I follow the club head and let the body react, letting the arms extend through the shot,
and away from the body.
It is a careful swing as the area of the yard is limited. So I had to hold back and check the swing.

You can't hit the ball great distances letting the club react trying to hit with only the body turn, as one hits that 265 wall.
One has to accelerate the club head. Hit the ball from the top.
The pivot brings that hit that primary force into position. The leverage of the lower is a secondary force.
It can however add a bit extra. Rory is a good example.
[/quote]

I'm going to be frank Squish ! That's simply a poor golf swing , it just is . Not one thing that resembles a decent amateur let alone Hogan

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1311943021' post='3433534']

I'm going to be frank Squish ! That's simply a poor golf swing , it just is . Not one thing that resembles a decent amateur let alone Hogan
[/quote]

It works for me when I'm in competition.
I have won with it, skins, skills, and 1'st place finishes.

But thanks for your opinion, eight, it sucks getting old and fat.

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1311936731' post='3433428']
[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1311897326' post='3432690']
[/quote]
[/quote]

No, I'm not notyogi; but I wish I was in the 1980's.
He worked with Stephen Stills of Crosby Stills Nash and other greats back then, and golfed with Count Yogi for years.
Another great teacher to the stars in Hollywood.

Back in the day these guy's like Austin and Yogi and Joe Norwood were getting big money for lessons.
Howard Hughes, Mohammed Ali called Yogi the greatest ever.
Again a different very different time.
These guy's were teachers but the could also play well.
The count was part Indian, Jewish "not on tour" but could Hit with a tree branch farther than most with a standard club.
The Pro's like Billy Casper, and yes Hogan even visited and played with these teachers/artists of the game.
Give Yogi a metal ball on a string attached to a grip and yep, right down the middle.
I have seen video of yogi putting with a string attached to coke bottle making every putt.

These guys studied and understood the physics of the game at a very basic level.
Yogi wasn't a muscle man like Austin and could putt and beat anybody.
[b][color="#ff0000"]Austin built up his forearms and like hogan did with twisting wet towel exercises jacked up their putting games with scar tissue.
Later they developed the yips, a shaky nervous twitch trying to keep the putter still during the stroke.
[/color][/b]Hogan would have won a lot more without that disease.
[/quote]

Oh no.....not the micro fiber dude!!!

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1311943485' post='3433557']

It works for me when I'm in competition.
I have won with it, skins, skills, and 1'st place finishes.

But thanks for your opinion, eight, it sucks getting old and fat.
[/quote]

Who were you playing against ? Man I want some of that pipe smoke as well , hazy re collections of glory days . How come your left arm is bordering towards vertical at the top and you are in punch elbow location , I do recollect you being very adamant on how Hogan got in pitch elbow , why then are you at the other end of the spectrum ?
heck just imagine where that right elbow would be and left arm IF you actually got some lateral flexion and cog shift towards the ball by the top end of your backswing , i think you might just blow old jimmy furyk away ... but what would us hall monitors know

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1311946645' post='3433669']

Who were you playing against ? Man I want some of that pipe smoke as well , hazy re collections of glory days . How come your left arm is bordering towards vertical at the top and you are in punch elbow location , I do recollect you being very adamant on how Hogan got in pitch elbow , why then are you at the other end of the spectrum ?

[/quote]

Playing against groups of guy's who think drinking beer and smokin doobs is part of golf.
There was some serious locals, but my advantage is reaching the short par fours.
I have had balls kicked off the green, stepped on, and accused of being a ringer at the end of rounds.
Been playing a long time.

That's me, I relax the left side and I hit with the right, through impact.

I don't try to imitate hogan as my stature does not dictate this.
But my opinion of how he achieved his method is just that, my opinion.