Could Ben Hogan Use a 1-iron?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]"Impact is very odd
Surely your local pga pro could help you with some lessons ?"[/b]

Yea not like hogan but That's me.
I'm holding back to keep them off the road.
Leveraging the left shoulder by advancing the right hip would put me on track, but the ball
going farther could hit a car coming up the road.
So I'm in the side yard being careful.

[attachment=830125:wedge.png] [attachment=830127:wedge.png]

Mr. Squish, can you show us a video of your full swing? I think many here would like to see you swing without holding back, possibly a 300yarder as you promised? You know in some persons their Hoganesque swing comes out when the muscles and tendons are all stretched out, as Hogan himself said in 5L. Why don't you make us skeptics embarrass ourselves? I'm sure there's a range out there, you've got the camera already.. Any angle will do, no worries, I think eightiron's eyes are 3D... Lol he can see in any angle what regular human beings cannot...lol Just one shot?... :D

[quote name='JOEGOLFWRX' timestamp='1311966177' post='3434068']
squish, just how much instruction did you receive off mike austin ?
[/quote]

Austinolgy is all.
But the fun part was figuring it out.

I was always a long hitter being 6'1", around 50 years old, it started to hurt in the thoratic and lumbar spine.
When I learned to swing the spine, vs twisting it, all the pain stopped, and I increased distance with the more efficient spine move.
I was wild for the longest time. Till I discovered I had to swing at the ball while swinging the spine.
In other words not to post then swing but post and swing.

Austin called it step and throw most took it as step then throw and that don't work.
I found if I compress the quadaritus lumborum, as I throw it's as good as the step.
I call it squish and turn. That's why I am called Squish.

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1311970571' post='3434278']
Mr. Squish, can you show us a video of your full swing? I think many here would like to see you swing without holding back, possibly a 300yarder as you promised? You know in some persons their Hoganesque swing comes out when the muscles and tendons are all stretched out, as Hogan himself said in 5L. Why don't you make us skeptics embarrass ourselves? I'm sure there's a range out there, you've got the camera already.. Any angle will do, no worries, I think eightiron's eyes are 3D... Lol he can see in any angle what regular human beings cannot...lol Just one shot?... :D
[/quote]

Soon as I get a session I'll post it.
My daughter did the last one, maybe sooner or later.

But It doesn't matter my swing is my swing.
It's the only one I can write about, as it works for me.

If they ain't selling hogan's swing they are guessing and selling that, it is pretty sad.
Get the fundamentals right and you will get close ,but never Hogan.

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1311971916' post='3434341']
[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1311970571' post='3434278']
[/quote]

Soon as I get a session I'll post it.
My daughter did the last one, maybe sooner or later.

But It doesn't matter my swing is my swing.
It's the only one I can write about, as it works for me.

If they ain't selling hogan's swing they are guessing and selling that, it is pretty sad.
Get the fundamentals right and you will get close ,but never Hogan.
[/quote]

It matters. A theory is nothing in golf if you can't show or actually perform it. And this is the HOGAN forum Mr. Squish. And 8i's point re your bat/punch elbow on top is a very valid one.

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1311972574' post='3434379']
It matters. A theory is nothing in golf if you can't show or actually perform it. And this is the HOGAN forum Mr. Squish. And 8i's point re your bat/punch elbow on top is a very valid one.
[/quote]

No, it doesn't matter, I have the posture and the swing that produces a straight shot.
That; I worked out for myself, using those elite golfers concepts.
That's all I can work with.

I could wrench myself to pose Hogan or Austin but that wouldn't work.

I follow the club head to hit straight, Internally.

That's all that matters nothing else.

I don't think about the elbow I think about hitting the ball.
I just keep them low.

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1311950390' post='3433831']
[b]"Impact is very odd
Surely your local pga pro could help you with some lessons ?"[/b]

Yea not like hogan but That's me.
I'm holding back to keep them off the road.
Leveraging the left shoulder by advancing the right hip would put me on track, but the ball
going farther could hit a car coming up the road.
So I'm in the side yard being careful.

[attachment=830125:wedge.png] [attachment=830127:wedge.png]
[/quote]

You already advance your hips / lower cog in a jerky type motion before entering transition . and then slap down with your arms and have plenty of axis tilt . How would advancing your right hip further going to do anything , most likely increase axis tilt even more and you will make other compensations to find the ball, as it is your right arm scooping down to find the ball, like its run out of gas 2/3 way down
btw what is the lever connecting the right hip to the left shoulder?

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1311736313' post='3427375']

I'm more interested in those who listen and learn, I listened to Hogan Speak, and did know, Austin, Yogi, Nicklaus etc. and I used their concepts.

[/quote]

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1311763130' post='3427862']

It's just my method as to how to swing a 1 iron from what I learned from elite pro's.

[/quote]

are you deliberately trying to give the impression you mingled with the greats ?

[quote name='martinez' timestamp='1311983802' post='3434722']
Squish, you REALLY should have retained your aninomininity like Joe and 8iron. In this imperfect world, it's a hell of a lot easier to say what something isn't.

That video is just Kerosene on a campfire lol.
[/quote]

LOL eightiron's swing is awesome just look at the videos...wait....where are they? never mind.... :busted2:

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Like the overwhelming majority of participants here, I have nothing to offer in terms of expertise regarding the golf swing other than enthusiasm.

Martinez made the statement that "In this imperfect world, it's a hell of a lot easier to say what something isn't." Mmm. This statement seemed odd to me because while evident that Martinez has something very valid to offer in terms of golf swing instruction, it is apparently not easy AT ALL to describe 'what is'.

After viewing his recently-available instructional video, many of us were left scratching our heads, wondering what was Martinez trying to explain. This statement is not intended to be a side swipe at his creative ideas, but rather a hearty agreement with his preface that we all live in "an imperfect world."

A portion of this thread has been devoted to the 1-iron, the cleek, the master iron. Ultimately, I believe that the proof is in the pudding; that is, if one can hit it well, they are no mere armchair golfer. I will quickly admit that I have no special skills when it comes to wielding this extended butter knife; however, it takes no special skills of any kind to note that Martinez swings different from Hogan and that Hogan swings different from Moe Norman and that Moe Norman swings different from Squish and that Squish swings different than Jim Furyk. Each bears their own swing fingerprint. Big deal.

The real question is who took the skin?

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1311983213' post='3434696']
You already advance your hips / lower cog in a jerky type motion before entering transition . and then slap down with your arms and have plenty of axis tilt . How would advancing your right hip further going to do anything , most likely increase axis tilt even more and you will make other compensations to find the ball, as it is your right arm scooping down to find the ball, like its run out of gas 2/3 way down
btw what is the lever connecting the right hip to the left shoulder?
[/quote]

The spine.

It's a compound action.

Not slapping down, I am hitting up, down is a given.

Not hitting with the body dragging the club through, I hit with the hands, The body reacts.

[quote name='JOEGOLFWRX' timestamp='1311983762' post='3434718']
are you deliberately trying to give the impression you mingled with the greats ?
[/quote]

Learning comes from what the student does and thinks and only what the student does and thinks.
All you can take from any of the greats are the concepts.

If it sounds like I know what I am writing about, I do because it's my swing I write about.
What I learned from their published works.
I am not and impressionist trying to imitate anybody Hogan or austin, It's my swing and gets results for me.

I feel every one is great if they try to develop their own swing, that's why I mingle here and express my thoughts and concepts.

Squish, you REALLY should have retained your aninomininity like Joe and 8iron. In this imperfect world, it's a hell of a lot easier to say what something isn't.

[/quote]

Yes I know, but It's done well and That's how I hit the ball straight.
I rarely tape myself and did it as it was requested.
It's how I follow the club head. With the full swing I use the body.
I have said your method is "perfect" to Diz and Moe eairler in the year after viewing your video.
You know what you are doing and value your thoughts and efforts in trying to perfect it.

That is why I keep at it, because it's my swing that matters.

[quote name='two stroke' timestamp='1312007976' post='3435493']
Like the overwhelming majority of participants here, I have nothing to offer in terms of expertise regarding the golf swing other than enthusiasm.

Martinez made the statement that "In this imperfect world, it's a hell of a lot easier to say what something isn't." Mmm. This statement seemed odd to me because while evident that Martinez has something very valid to offer in terms of golf swing instruction, it is apparently not easy AT ALL to describe 'what is'.

After viewing his recently-available instructional video, many of us were left scratching our heads, wondering what was Martinez trying to explain. This statement is not intended to be a side swipe at his creative ideas, but rather a hearty agreement with his preface that we all live in "an imperfect world."

A portion of this thread has been devoted to the 1-iron, the cleek, the master iron. Ultimately, I believe that the proof is in the pudding; that is, if one can hit it well, they are no mere armchair golfer. I will quickly admit that I have no special skills when it comes to wielding this extended butter knife; however, it takes no special skills of any kind to note that Martinez swings different from Hogan and that Hogan swings different from Moe Norman and that Moe Norman swings different from Squish and that Squish swings different than Jim Furyk. Each bears their own swing fingerprint. Big deal.

The real question is who took the skin?
[/quote]

That's how I feel.

With the fundamentals, the concepts in mind the golfer bares his own signature or style.
That is forever changing.

A analogy I like to use is Hendrix playing his voodoo chile, or little wing, signature masterpieces.
No one could ever play those like him as it was his concept for works.

But SRV took those works and made his own hits.

Stevie did not play them lick for lick, it would not be an honest effort.
Instead he made it his own as he first understood and used the theroy, then created something in his style using the concepts.
Which is better? Neither They both satisfy the mind.

From Vardon, Braid to Mitchell, Hogan to Watson the concepts are there, but they don't look the same.

But all were champions utilizing the basic fundamentals.

I have said mine is like Braid or Jones, but it's my style using the concepts.
And I get what I need, which is a repeating swing so I can play the game and repair as needed.

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1312014299' post='3435548']

[/quote]

Yes I know, but It's done well and That's how I hit the ball straight.
I rarely tape myself and did it as it was requested.
It's how I follow the club head. With the full swing I use the body.
I have said your method is "perfect" to Diz and Moe eairler in the year after viewing your video.
You know what you are doing and value your thoughts and efforts in trying to perfect it.

That is why I keep at it, because it's my swing that matters.
[/quote]
The difference is 8i and joegolf haven't asserted to have perfected technique, gleaned from so and so guru, and now can do such and such things like never before. When someone does like Squish, Martinez, DTS, the Hogan's Angle guy, Sevam, Slicefixer etc etc ... from a credibility perspective they're all but required to post a swing. People doing that just invite challenge, with the challenger having no obligation to produce an alternative.

I do give props to Squish for posting a swing; however I think it's had the opposite of the intended effect, which was to help people and generate interest in Austin.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

I wont be looking to you JD to determine whether I have credibility or not lmao. You really do appear to have no clue from your posts...just regurgitation.

@Two_Stroke
I was hitting a one iron just fine when I was 14 yrs old and had been playing for a couple of years....pretty sure if a clueless 14 yr old can hit one then Hogan could, to answer your OP. As to the rest of your post, I agree that the tape with Elk maybe things could have been explained better, but what can you do....It was more about what we worked on from his perspective and I'm ok with that. Also...we were never going to do something that focused on positions because most of that stuff is just made up anyway. :)

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1312017229' post='3435565']
The difference is 8i and joegolf haven't asserted to have perfected technique, gleaned from so and so guru, and now can do such and such things like never before. When someone does like Squish, Martinez, DTS, the Hogan's Angle guy, Sevam etc etc ... from a credibility perspective they're all but required to post a swing. People doing that just invite challenge, with the challenger having no obligation to produce an alternative.

I do give props to Squish for posting a swing; however I think it's had the opposite of the intended effect, which was to help people and generate interest in Austin.
[/quote]

Well thanks,

But I don't sell anything Austin or otherwise.
I have always stated the guru is you.
Mike's materials gave me an understanding of what is going on in the swing at a kinesiology level.
It is a different language but to me more exacting.

Just relating what I discoverd for myself. no one will ever perfect it.
But it is well worth the effort.

@ martinez, it's not about me in particular, it's about the audience in general. you obviously think you need to post more than anyone else to sell your products, since you have more swings up than pretty much everyone else [u]combined[/u]

and btw, you have a lot of nerve saying im just "regurgitating" stuff when you're the one selling videos of information you poached from an 80 year old book

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1312018491' post='3435573']
@ martinez, it's not about me in particular, it's about the audience in general. you obviously think you need to post more than anyone else to sell your products, since you have more swings up than pretty much everyone else [u]combined[/u]

and btw, you have a lot of nerve saying im just "regurgitating" stuff when you're the one selling videos of information you poached from an 80 year old book
[/quote]
Now you speak for everybody...the audience in general? I was addressing you since you brought my name up in your post.

I don't believe the meat of what is in my tape (the only product I have to sell at this stage) has anything to do with anything I may or may not have read in a book. I admit that there are certain concepts that belong to a different era than the one we are in now. I happen to think those guys had it pretty well figured out.

If you want to play Devils' advocate the way that eightiron does (WHICH FRANKLY APPEARS TO BE THE CASE)....you're going to have to brush up on a few hundred things.....otherwise just leave it to him, he's really good at it.

I included your name as an example along with others who made claims and posted swings. It wasn't negative. You attacked me.

Not trying to be anyone else, unlike you emulating a "right arm cranker far removed from Hogan" as 8 might say lol. The cashing in on dated info part, that's from me

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1312022431' post='3435601']
I brought up your name as an example along with others who made claims and posted swings. It wasn't negative. You attacked me.

Not trying to be anyone else, unlike you emulating a "right arm cranker far removed from Hogan" as 8 might say lol. The cashing in on dated info part, that's from me
[/quote]
I was just using you as an example of someone I wouldn't be looking to for credibility, it wasn't an attack, just a statement.

If you had any clue about what it is I do and teach and were familiar with Mitchell's books you would know that the right arm action I talked about in the tape is about as far removed from Mitchell's as you can get. But I wouldn't expect you to know the difference....hence my initial 'statement'.

Given the comment from someone who purchased it that ... "After viewing his recently-available instructional video, many of us were left scratching our heads, wondering what was Martinez trying to explain ... " can't say Im motivated to spend the $35 to try and find out either! lol.

But seriously, I would say offering a [u]full refund [/u]to the buyers is in order.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

[/quote]

ah the perfect world : full of anonymous customers with no anonymous criticism, lmao.