2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Waited 2 Years For The Hand Of God

lee36328

Miura Series 1957 Special Edition Small Blades
Two years ago, I found out about a master craftsman, Mr. Katsuhiro Miura, known by the Japanese media as the Hands of God. He hails from Himeji City, Japan, an area steeped in antiquity as the home of the Samurai sword.

You guys know the story.

...The forging skills of the ancient master sword makers have been handed down the generations and today have evolved into making some of the finest forged irons and wedges known to man.

Among many others, the most notorious urban-myth type of rumour was that Tiger sought him out, and insisted Nike bought Miura's forgings, put their logo on them, and used them as his blades...

Wow, these guys are good, that's the best sales pitch I have ever heard. But, a part of me wondered, was it all just hype? Can it be that good?

"When golfers see a Miura club for the first time, and actually hold it in their hands, there is a common shared experience - LOVE at first sight. And like trying to define love, no words can seem to describe the absolute exhilaration one gets from swinging a Miura club, it is something that one needs to FEEL to discover."

Really? I mean, I know marketing's job is to sell the product, but... really?

Anyway, my curiosity was peaked.

One fine day, a demo club, the Miura Tournament Blade arrived at my friendly neighbourhood clubfitter. So I took it with me for a few days, to see what the fuss was about.

Being a beginner back then, my swing was rather haphazard, and I painfully failed to see what the fuss was about as I mishit one shot after another.

Suddenly, the ball took off with quiet sound of a gentle breeze, and my hands felt the impact as light as a feather's caress. I had finally found the sweet spot.

Wow... my jaw dropped.

Long story short, fell in love with the buttery feel, like the ad said above, and I had to own a set for myself. I ended up choosing the small blade special edition, the Miura Series 1957 Special Edition Small Blade. The beauties arrived accompanied by a 'birth certificate'.

I looked at each of these art pieces and realized it would be a pity to scar them with an inconsistent beginner's swing. I stored them away carefully, and I vowed that one day, I will develop a swing worthy and able enough to handle them.

That was two years ago.

After patiently working on my swing all this while, I am finally about to know what these beauties feel like. This morning, I took these lovelies out of storage and instructed my clubfitter to build up the set.

DSC_00731024.jpg

They are almost too beautiful to hit, won't you agree?

DSC_01001024.jpg

Look at the fine and uniform flow of the grain.

DSC_00921024.jpg

The shaft of choice, Project X 6.0.

DSC_01111024.jpg

Two years was a long wait.

DSC_00331024.jpg

The wait is almost over...

DSC_01581024.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MacMia' timestamp='1311787293' post='3428829']
I think you are going to sub optimize the feel with those PX shafts... Step up to a KBS Tour....
[/quote]

Thanks, that's a valid point, and it was on my mind.

I tried PX6.0 back to back against KBS Tour 110 stiff, using a Mizuno MP68 head, and got better numbers with the PX6.0. The KBS Tour was smooooth. The PX was SOLID, kaboom! I have been using PX5.5 for two years, and have grown accustomed to this sledge-hammer impact.

Nonetheless, I am however, pondering the KBS C-Taper for future consideration.... and further ho'ing, when I get the urge. I have read great results in this forum from those who have tried it, and the trackman numbers from those with a high swing speed do look impressive.

If after trying the PX, I am seeking lower launch and lower spin, I'd give the C-Taper a try. Thanks again.

gorgeous, I bet they feel awesome when you get them up and running...
Couple friends put in kbs shafts, but two of the three wanted to change to PXs...
I don't know if they've done that yet.
honestly, the subtleties between the shafts of the same flex largely escapes me...
I think those guys are blowing goats, and money, but hey, I am not one to hinder anyone's quest for perfection (cool)

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

[quote name='Jack Pearsall' timestamp='1311788664' post='3428927']
Couple friends put in kbs shafts, but two of the three wanted to change to PXs...
honestly, the subtleties between the shafts of the same flex largely escapes me...
I think those guys are blowing goats, and money, but hey, I am not one to hinder anyone's quest for perfection (cool)
[/quote]

I could not agree more, they are gorgeous.

I have not hit them yet, I have tried the tournament blade last time, and it was superb. And this one is meant to be even better in terms of feel, in the words of the master craftsman himself, "My best performing blades," so I can only imagine how good they would be to hit. I will find out tomorrow, after the 24-hour glue dries.

I have to say however, I think your friends are on to something; two shafts w the same flex can feel quite different through impact, depending on the bend profile, kick point, torque, etc. But you're right, at this level, it's chasing diminishing returns already. For instance, I thought Mizuno forged was good. Then I hit Miuras....

In cold hard Trackman numbers, the difference would not be dramatic, but in my right brain, in terms of feel, they are worlds apart. This type of nitpicking has cost me a pretty penny. And it got worse as my swing speed increased, because I am seeking a particular feel through impact, and as the shaft got stiffer, they become more expensive to make them to be that stable.

Those are some sick looking blades man, I agree almost too pretty to hit with but then again they were made for that purpose. I would love to demo them one day and feel what the hype is all about but I don't want to tempt myself into ho'ing beyond my income capacity black%20eye.gif (at this point :secret:).

Ping G15 9º TFC 149D 60g
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 15º
Titleist 909h 17º
Wilson Fybrid RS 19.5º
Mizuno MP-33 (4-PW) KBS C-Taper 120S
Titleist Vokey SM4 (52.08, 58.06)
Scotty Newport 2

"...The forging skills of the ancient master sword makers have been handed down the generations and today have evolved into making some of the finest forged irons and wedges known to man." i wish they would stop using this line no clubs are hand forged like swords period.... the final shape is done by grinding.... what made thoses swords so good the the forging process hand made the steel stronger and the queching process to make the curve hard steel cutting area and softer back material, took real skill by a master to perform and still does today........( mirua is a grinder and a master grinder at that) the machines do the forging

Those are some sick looking blades man, I agree almost too pretty to hit with but then again they were made for that purpose. I would love to demo them one day and feel what the hype is all about but I don't want to tempt myself into ho'ing beyond my income capacity black%20eye.gif (at this point :secret:).

Thank you sir.

Yes, all that loveliness comes at a price. And I never thought I'd find myself paying that amount; but I had originally planned to keep these as a collection, perhaps to sell if the price went up. Oh, well, the intention lasted 2 years.

"...The forging skills of the ancient master sword makers have been handed down the generations and today have evolved into making some of the finest forged irons and wedges known to man." i wish they would stop using this line no clubs are hand forged like swords period.... the final shape is done by grinding.... what made thoses swords so good the the forging process hand made the steel stronger and the queching process to make the curve hard steel cutting area and softer back material, took real skill by a master to perform and still does today........( mirua is a grinder and a master grinder at that) the machines do the forging

I am sure you are right. This slick sleight-of-marketing-hand produced a selling pitch that many, including me, found hard to resist.... And the FEEL! Hmm, hmm! I gotta believe those Himejians know a thing or two about working with steel from all those sword work.

[quote name='The General' timestamp='1311790640' post='3429043']
So DG X100s wouldn't do these irons justice?
[/quote]

For people who appreciate the smoothness of DG's bend profile, most certainly it will!

In my case, I've simply become accustomed to how PX responds at impact with my swing, and even found KBS Tour a touch 'soft', just a touch, for me. (The PX trackman numbers look better too compared w KBS Tour for me.) I am after the feedback of the canon-shot impact that PX gives me. It helps to reinforce my swing somehow, that explosion of a well-struck shot.

[quote name='lee36328' timestamp='1311789157' post='3428957']
[/quote]

I could not agree more, they are gorgeous.

I have not hit them yet, I have tried the tournament blade last time, and it was superb. And this one is meant to be even better in terms of feel, in the words of the master craftsman himself, "My best performing blades," so I can only imagine how good they would be to hit. I will find out tomorrow, after the 24-hour glue dries.

I have to say however, I think your friends are on to something; two shafts w the same flex can feel quite different through impact, depending on the bend profile, kick point, torque, etc. But you're right, at this level, it's chasing diminishing returns already. For instance, I thought Mizuno forged was good. Then I hit Miuras....

In cold hard Trackman numbers, the difference would not be dramatic, but in my right brain, in terms of feel, they are worlds apart. This type of nitpicking has cost me a pretty penny. And it got worse as my swing speed increased, because I am seeking a particular feel through impact, and as the shaft got stiffer, they become more expensive to make them to be that stable.
[/quote]

Yes, I appreciate the differences in the shafts, ok, i will admit that...but it becomes, as your insight noted, a function of diminishing returns visavis the money being spent...and that was where my head was at when I made that statement...

sometimes, you need to be inspired to play your best, and if there's something that facilitates that, then by all means...it really is where you want to draw the line in the sand on the matter, so there is really no [i]wrong[/i]...

enjoy the miuras, they do look fantastic...:good:

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

This, THIS is what I play golf for.

To have the feeling of a sweet, pure, flushed shot. Converting human will into motion, impact and flight. Physical poetry in the trajectory.

Wow! I thought to myself, did I just create that?

So this is what they meant when they said the head is densely forged to give unparalleled feel. And PX 6.0 complements it just so beautifully.

Perfection. Just perfection.

I have not felt an iron delivering a ball to its target in such an emphatic and concise manner, but once I typed that, I realised the words failed miserably to convey what I felt. Tight. Precise. Efficient. Clinical. etc. The list of superlatives to choose from is long.

Mr. Katsuhiro Miura, I salute you sir. You indeed have "the hands of god."

And now, this?

blackblade-group.jpg

In the battle for my hard-earned money, it's not even a fair fight.

[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1311877052' post='3431807']
Do not put KBS Tours in those!! Way to high a ball flight. C-Tapers maybe or DGs
[/quote]

You read my mind. The fantastic 30-plus-page thread here on the C-taper caught my attention.

I bet they will look really awesome paired with the forged blacks.

[/quote]

Sir, Miura Small Blade in Project X 6.0 is indeed, as you put it, AWESOME.....

Am I good enough to hit blades?

Will they be too harsh?

Is it too much club for me?

Those were the usual thoughts that kept me from blades before this.

What a load of self-defeating crap.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy - if I had continued to think I was not 'good enough' for blades, then I would never be good enough.

From now on, I will tell anyone who asks, do yourself a big favor and GET THEM. Don't let your fears and doubt hold you back. Your swing will thank you as well.

Have you tried the 1957s yet?
Very interested in your feedback.

My personal take is:
I prefer the Tournament Blade just because of the position of the sweetspot on the club face.
The feel of both clubs is unbelievable, I could not find a significant difference. For my the sweetspot is too close to the hosel.
I would have loved to prefer the 1957s (because of the looks) but at least for me the Tournament Blades work better.

I looked and looked but just cannot see it.

Nice pictures of some excellent blades though. coolpics.gif

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

I looked and looked but just cannot see it.

Nice pictures of some excellent blades though. coolpics.gif

Thank you!

In return for your nice compliment, here's a closer look at the grain I mentioned.

I'm no materials engineer, but a friend of mine (an aircraft maintenance engineer) says this is a sign of very good quality workmanship.

Here's a closer look.

DSC_0097grain.jpg

[quote name='Blackman911' timestamp='1311970417' post='3434269']
Have you tried the 1957s yet?
Very interested in your feedback.

My personal take is:
I prefer the Tournament Blade just because of the position of the sweetspot on the club face.
The feel of both clubs is unbelievable, I could not find a significant difference. For my the sweetspot is too close to the hosel.
I would have loved to prefer the 1957s (because of the looks) but at least for me the Tournament Blades work better.
[/quote]

You play both the TB and the LE blades? I admire your good taste, sir.

Yes indeed I have hit the baby blades. And what a revelation. The feel at impact is just unbelievably SOLID and PURE. I am sure the PX 6.0 played an important part in that as well. Ball launches high and with tremendous energy. I feel like my swing just delivered the ball in the most efficient way possible.

At first, I also was very conscious how small the face was. But I have to say, it only took several impacts to convince my subconscious mind to relax and trust it. Now, I am not even conscious of it anymore. When I hit my MP52 again, it looks HUGE.... ha ha. It's easy to trick the mind; everything is relative.

If I had to put the feeling of impact into words, "That was as efficiently as I could hit a ball" is as concisely as I can put it. SOLID. PURE.

Well, here are the numbers which will show you what I mean.

Previously, Mizuno MP52 w Project X 5.5

th_DSC_01451024.jpg

DSC_0152800.jpg

Blades

1) Mizuno MP68 w Project X 6.0

th_DSC_01371024.jpg

DSC_0163800.jpg

2) Miura LE Small Blade w Project X 6.0

th_DSC_01831024.jpg

DSC_0199800.jpg

So, comparing the MP52 with the baby blade, I am getting with the baby blade:

0.33% higher ball speed

5.66% higher launch angle

7.91% LESS spin

1.45% higher smash factor

2.00% more distance

2.68% higher landing angle

Now, comparing the MP68 with the baby blade, I am getting with the baby blade:

3.13% higher ball speed

2.33% lower launch angle

9.00% LESS spin

6.06% higher smash factor

4.81% more distance

4.38% higher landing angle

The element that stood out the most for me was the high smash factor. I seldom see such a high smash factor with my swing before. This seems to suggest that Miura's claim of having a denser and purer head (by triple pressing and milling the hosel separately) bears out.

Overall, the Miura small blades in PX 6.0 are giving me higher launch, lower spin, better smash factor, more distance, and better landing angle.

The launch angle might be a touch high. Next, I will try to lower the launch angle by increasing the angle of attack to see if that gives me further improvements.

Note:

The Miura numbers were taken after I tweaked my swing to accommodate blade. I will re-hit the MP52 and MP68 to take new readings to see what difference the new swing made to these two clubs if any.

[quote name='lee36328' timestamp='1311994334' post='3435114']
Thank you!

In return for your nice compliment, here's a closer look at the grain I mentioned.

I'm no materials engineer, but a friend of mine (an aircraft maintenance engineer) says this is a sign of very good quality workmanship.

Here's a closer look.

[/quote]

That's not grain - just a finish. I was teasing you...

Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

Very, very, VERY nice. I have the same plan, but the forged irons I have are nowhere as nice. Mine hold some good history though. These were the last blades my Dad bought and never played much. So I hope to improve enough to use them well. Thats my little story, no ninja's, smurai, HammerX, Tiger or Chuck Norris about it.

5990360644_7e12d4487b_b.jpg

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

i think those lines you see are not grains, but how the club was finished. Still purty though.

Thank you!

Here's a closer look.

That's not grain - just a finish. I was teasing you...

Ooops! My bad.

No wonder I'm not a materials engineer. laugh.gif

Doesn't matter - lovely clubs in look and feel.

Titleist Pro V1

Very, very, VERY nice. I have the same plan, but the forged irons I have are nowhere as nice. Mine hold some good history though. These were the last blades my Dad bought and never played much. So I hope to improve enough to use them well. Thats my little story, no ninja's, smurai, HammerX, Tiger or Chuck Norris about it.

5990360644_7e12d4487b_b.jpg

Y'know, it's the story that puts the soul into these inanimate objects. Nice story there.

I should take my dad to the driving range sometime. I'll make that next week. To see him light up when he makes a ball fly, just lifts my spirit.