2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Thrash Talk: 2006 Ryder Cup Predictions

staff@thesandtrap.com

By Cody Thrasher via TheSandTrap.com
The staff makes their predictions. Who will look like a fool and who a wise man at the end of the week?

tt_title.gifRyder Cup week has finally arrived! The major championships in golf are awesome, but something about The Ryder Cup makes it even more special. The event has gained a lot of steam over the past decade or so and has truly become one of the greatest sports spectacles in the world.

The United States team usually comes in as the favorite, but that's no longer the case. The European side thumped the U.S. team two years ago at Oakland Hills. The margin of victory was one of the largest in the event's long history. The two teams are once again set for battle, and there are a lot of storylines to keep us entertained for the next week.

Will the United States finally figure out the team competition and head into Sunday singles in better shape? Or will the European side handle their business like they have the last two playings? The Sand Trap staff members have things figured out, or so we think. Keep reading to find out what we think will happen at The K Club this week.

If you have any predictions, please feel free to comment below or discuss them in the forum. That way, we can hold you accountable as well!

Erik J. Barzeski

Final Score
jimfuryk_rydercup.jpgUnited States: 14½, Europe: 13½.

The United States ekes out a win. They're still stronger on paper and a .500 record by the rookies will be good enough to win. Barely.

Biggest Point-Getter (United States)
Tiger Woods/Jim Furyk. Each has a new-found partner in each other, and they'll step it up. Both are playing well coming into the event, and both have a lot to prove.

Biggest Point-Getter (Europe)
Sergio Garcia. He can putt in Ryder Cups, and he gets pumped up like nobody else. The Ryder Cup is the one place, it seems, where Sergio's child-like exuberance is not out of place.

Biggest Disappointment (United States)
Phil Mickelson has been flat for months - ever since the 72nd hole at Winged Foot.

Biggest Disappointment (Europe)
Darren Clarke, despite the emotional boost (or baggage?), will suffer from his time away from golf, not from lack of heart.

Key Matchup or Factor
The rookies on the U.S. Team will need to hold it together at least well enough to break even. If they can manage to do that - knocking off a stalwart Euro team or two along the way - they'll be just fine. Nobody expects any more than that out of them.

Donald MacKenzie

Final Score
Europe: 15, United States: 13.

I don't see this being a blowout, but I also don't see Team USA having the depth to pull out a victory. This is a rebuilding year for the Americans, who'll have to deal with the fact that the team has four rookies in an event that can't be remotely understood until you've stood on the first tee. Veteran tour players say they're so nervous on the first tee that they worry about whiffing or topping the ball. Look for those nerves to be an anchor on the U.S. effort on Friday and again on Sunday for singles, and give Europe enough room to retain the Cup.

Tiger Woods: Well, duh. Aside from last week's lackluster first-round loss at the World Match Play, El Tigre has been en fuego. The swing fixes are set, the confidence is high, and he's finally the undisputed leader of his team. I see no less than four points from Tiger this week.

Sergio Garcia. Yes, he can't putt. Yes, he sometimes looks like a canary. But the man can strike the ball like crazy, and has Seve's creativity. If he can putt half-way decent this week, he cards no less than 3½ points.

Stewart Cink and Scott Verplank (tie). They are two of the nicest guys in the game and totally deserving of their spots on the team. But as Captain's Picks, they are set up for failure. If the U.S. side doesn't win, you'll be hearing names like Fred Couples, Davis Love III, etc. as guys that could have made a difference. And as nice as they are, neither guy has won a major or is playing particularly well. Cink in particular tends to come up small in big situations.

The K Club. I know it's been said a million times. Make it 1,000,001 - WHY IS THE RYDER CUP BEING PLAYED HERE? How about Ballybunion? Old Head? Royal County Down? If you're going to play in Ireland, play at a course that at least looks Irish. The K Club would be a fine course if it was in, say, Ohio. It's like the U.S. hosting a Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits. Except that would be kinda cool.

Key Matchup or Factor
European sense of purpose. The Euros always seem to have something to fire them up and keep them united. My guess this week is that the support for Darren Clarke, who recently lost his wife to a long battle with breast cancer, will be a huge unifying force for Team Europe. Not in a maudlin or disrespectful way, either. Tom Lehman has tried to create some team spirit on the U.S. side, but the Euros have it without making an effort.

Dave Koster

Final Score
Europe: 14½, United States: 13½.

It will be very close, but the Europeans will sneak out a one-point victory.

Tiger Woods. This is the year he finally has the success in the Ryder Cup he has been missing.

Colin Montgomerie. He always seems to rise to the occasion in this event. 19-8-5 is a pretty good record if you ask me. Monty has been playing pretty sporty golf this year as well.

Zach Johnson. Of all the rookies, Lehman will expect the most from Johnson. That is a lot of pressure for one guy, especially with no experience. I'm hoping Johnson comes through, but I'm not sure he will.

Paul McGinley. I wish he could play better in front of his home countrymen, but I think that added pressure will keep McGinley from winning more than a point.

Key Matchup or Factor
U.S. Rookies vs Seasoned Euros. No matter who the U.S. rookies go up against, it will (most likely) be against a seasoned vet. The only rookies on the Euro side are Stenson and Karlsson, both of whom have victories this year. They will be playing alongside other Euros that have been there before.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lehman put two of the U.S. rookies together in a fourball or foursome match. If the U.S. can steal a point that way, it could be the deciding factor in bringing the Cup back across the Atlantic.

Cody Thrasher

Final Score
Europe: 15, United States: 13.

Europe not only has the better overall team, they also have the better overall individuals this time around. The United States will bounce back from an awful 2004 Ryder Cup, and the event will be close all three days. The Europeans will be too strong in the end, however, and will retain the Cup yet again.

Chad Campbell. Campbell didn't play very well at the 2004 Ryder Cup, but the talent is there, and he will turn things around this time. Campbell will take home three and a half points for the United States squad.

Paul Casey. Is there any doubting this guy's ability in match play right now? Casey picked apart the field at last week's World Match Play Championship, and he will be dominant this week at the K Club as well. Look for the young gun to take home at least four points for his team.

Stewart Cink. As a Captain's pick, Cink will already have a little extra pressure to perform well at the K Club. Cink has a history of good putting, but his belly putter worries me. And he doesn't have that extra grit to put away an opponent when it matters the most. Cink will struggle to win more than a point this week.

Lee Westwood. Westwood usually rises to the top in the Ryder Cup, but his singles record is 1-3 in four starts in the event. He will have a tough week in the team formats as well, showing everyone why Ian Woosnam should have picked Thomas Björn or Ian Poulter instead.

Key Matchup or Factor
The big guns for the United States (Woods, Furyk, Mickelson) will play well, but the Europeans will do just enough to keep them contained. Look for the top three from the United States to win only a couple points apiece on average instead of the needed four or five points apiece.

Alan Olson

Final Score
padraig_monty.jpgEurope: 15, United States: 13.

The U.S. may have better golfers, but Europe is the better team.

Tiger Woods. Yes, his record is 7-11-2, but he's on a roll right now. I don't expect him to lose any of his matches.

Colin Montgomerie. Monty thrives in this type of competition. He may never win a major, but he will go down as one of the best Ryder Cup players ever. His overall record of 19-8-5 speaks for itself.

Phil Mickelson. Since the 72nd hole at Winged Foot, Phil has imploded. I'm not sure who will get paired up with Phil to bail him out of his funk right now.

Sergio Garcia. He has a great overall Ryder Cup record, but Sergio's putter will let him down again this week.

Key Matchup or Factor
Europe will rally behind Darren Clarke, who is playing for the first time since the passing away of his wife, Heather, and pull out the emotional victory.

Jack Waddell

Final Score:
Europe: 15½, United States: 12½.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for the Americans. But there are some things about this match-up I don't like. I don't like the way Woods and Furyk handled the World Match Play event. I don't like the way Mickelson, or his likely partner, DiMarco, have been playing. Taylor, Henry, Johnson and Wetterich are strong players, but I don't think they have the stomach for this pressure cooker.

When I look at the Europeans, I see a weak and none-too-bright captain. But I also see Montgomerie and Stenson playing well at the World Match Play Championship. I also think their weaker players are better than our weaker players.

The only guy on the American side I trust right now is Chad Campbell and maybe Scott Verplank. I'm hoping for an American victory, but I'm afraid hoping won't make it so.

I think it's going to be Furyk. He'll pick up some points with Woods in team play and win his singles match, while Woods loses his.

Henrik Stenson is playing out of his mind right now. If he picks up a strong partner in team play, he won't lose a point.

The Mickelson/DiMarco match-up and not because of DiMarco. Phil usually goes on mental and physical hiatus after the PGA Championship, and this year is no different. I'm sure he wants desperately to do well in this event, but he won't.

Paul McGinley is not in a good place mentally. He's very much on a negative jag with his poor recent play, and this kind of event may isn't the place to turn that around.

Key Matchup or Factor
The U.S. stays in the match for the first two days because Lehman out-captains Woosnam. But going out early, Woods, Mickelson, Toms, and DiMarco all fall and the Europeans use the momentum to charge to a victory. Bummer.

Photo Credits: © Getty, © Unknown.

Article Link>>>Here

"This article is republished with permission from The Sand Trap .com and
remains copyright © The Sand Trap .com. All rights and privileges reserved."

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest point getter

1. US Jim Furyk....He is tough as nails, he has the experience and his funky swing finds the fairway.

2. Euro This is easy...Monty. This guy was created by God to play in this event. He is so good at this

I expect to see him here well into his 80s.

Biggest Disappointment

1. US Lefty...This guy has every type of coach except the one he really needs , a psychologist!!

2. Euro Westwood..Doesn't have a winning record and being promoted as one of their aces.

Don't even think about mentioning my guy Clarke here. He will do very well despite

his recent tragedy. I believe he will be stronger.

Unfortunately for Clarke, he will be playing with Lee Westwood three of four times in team competition. As the article stated, I believe Lee Westwood will be a disappointment for the Europeans. Basically, Darren Clarke will be affected by this as well by default. Clarke might win a point or two in the team matches, and he will probably halve or win his singles match. So he is looking at 2 points or so. I think he will do his part though.

I predict that it'll be rainy and windy all 4 days...is it me or does the weather seem to suck in Europe, at least every time i watch a European PGA Tour event?

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

I think we win it on Sunday.

Europe does too well in foursomes and fourball, even Alt shot.

It will all depend on the weather. And, Sunday is mostly the Americans strong point.

Friday: Europe leads 5-3.

Saturday: Europe leading: 10 to 6.

Sunday: We pull another Brookline '99 comeback.

Final Score: 14.5 to 13.5.

I love comebacks in golf. They have some amazing drama.

Europe is just too strong in the teams section on Friday and Saturday.