2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

What car would you buy for under 30k?

GoTime

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee's (the laredo version) for around $30,000 now. I just got mine for $28,634 and with 20k miles (it was a rental car first)

My dad owns a M35x and loves that car. I love driving it too and those you can get for around that price range or a little less.

Mom has a Mercedes M-class. I wish it was my car. Awesome SUV and you can get an 08 for around your price range.

The Infiniti M35 is a smooth ride (I have a close friend who has one) and as mentioned earlier I would consider 2011 a Jeep Grand Cherokee (Love the direction they went in). Also something you may not have considered is a Volkswagen CC. I test drove one for the hell of it and I was actually impressed. The turbo charged engine gives you a nice burst when you need it, the exterior design is slick and the interior is what you would expect from a German sedan. Speaking of German sedan the CC also handles like a premium one (VW's usually handle nicely). I never really thought of purchasing a Volkswagen but after driving the CC am now.

Here's my take as a HUGE car nut and one that has some experience with those cars personally, BTW I currently own an M35. The STI is not going to be a good client car (had a WRX), fun yes, but manual transmissions and clients don't typically mix well...unless they are car nuts too :-). The CTS is nice but will be smaller than the M, haven't owned one, but test drove a few when looking at my car. If you get an M get the 35, better MPG (albeit minimal, go into that later), less cost, more balanced chassis, close on power but most importantly...less known issues with the VQ35DE motor. Then if you do have issues that is the same motor as in any recent Nissan, not an Infiniti specific motor, meaning cheaper parts. These are all factors that played in my decision to get the 35 vs the 45, I did dealer parts sales for 7 years so got REAL picky on cars at that point.

So, I absolutely love my M, looked at all kinds of cars including but not limited to the G's, CTS, Genesis, Lexus IS/GS, Jag XK, BMW 5, Merc E class and it was the best bang for the buck while filling similar requirements for price, use, features and reliability/cost of ownership as you. The only thing that disappointed me a bit about the car is the gas mileage, it definitely leaves some to be desired. I know that of the jap luxury brands Infiniti tunes theirs more on the sport and responsive side therefore losing MPG but wow, it is bad for a V6. I get 17.5 MPG in mixed driving and you have to put premium in to get that. But don't get me wrong I am willing to deal with it. I have owned a decent amount of cars over the past few years (at least as compared to my friends/family) and this one is by far my favorite. My recommendation is go test drive (in the same day) the ones that are in your wheel house...think of it as a demo day for cars. I feel that the M will place high for you similar as it did for me. Not saying it doesn't have it's quirkiness, all cars do, it just fit the mold best.

BTW I personally believe that for comfort of your clients/back seat riders you should steer clear of the G's, CTS, IS, 3 series, CC and C class. Something that always needs to be done (in that case) is put your drivers and passenger seat in a comfortable position for you then go sit in the back and see if you would be comfy cruising aroung town back there. I am a shorter guy and all those a fore mentioned cars failed that category miserably. Now if it's just kids back there then they have to suck it up and deal with it...get the smaller, lighter, more fun car :-p

[quote name='coffee-cup' timestamp='1315887622' post='3560550']
Pontiac G8 Gt.

Great warranty, proven drivetrain, tremendous power, decent fuel economy.
[/quote]

This is an awesome car, a real underground sleeper gem. GM put their best into this car in an effort to bring Pontiac back, but then the whole economy fell off a cliff and it was the end for the G8. I would buy one tomorrow.

Toyota Avalon is good semi-luxury 4dr transportation. It's bulletproof as far a mechanics, got all the room you could want, and very reasonable CPO's.

Having owned 3 BMW's - 2 3's and a 5 I would run, not walk away. The only way to consider one is a CPO......they will eat you alive w frequent and costly repairs and maintenance. If I have to take 3 passengers in my 5 they basically have to squeeze in. It's a great car for 2 or 3 people when it's running. There is no better driving sedan out there however, nor more comfortable seats.

[quote name='Obsessotron' timestamp='1315942978' post='3561894']
Pontiac G8 Gt.

[/quote]

This is an awesome car, a real underground sleeper gem. GM put their best into this car in an effort to bring Pontiac back, but then the whole economy fell off a cliff and it was the end for the G8. I would buy one tomorrow.
[/quote]

I agree. Saw one in the course parking lot over the weekend and it reminded me how awesome of a car that is.

I know what your going through. This is the same type of money I spent on my wifes car & mine. We went looking all around and test drove different class vehicles for a couple of weeks then narrowed it down to what cars we liked in what classes. (luxury,etc). Then we went and drove them again back to back In the same week! Hyundai, Lexus, BMW, Toyota, and Nissan! All were great cars we drove and had a very hard time deciding! Our ultimate decision was based on what we would get on our return on investment! (and this is big for us because we buy our vehicles). Did some research and found out this! I had and 05 Nissan Maxima with 55k. An 01 Lexus rx300 with 62k on it was worth more! Which for me was baffling @ the time! Now I know why! We went with Used Lexus RX330 & BMW X 3. Didn't try the Infinity line just for the fact that a friend had a Fx 45 and was not good in the snow from what he said! Yes, do some research into the maintenance cost of vehicles which should be in your plan already but Lexus and BMW turned out to be our best fit!

Suv Lexus RX, GX, LX. BMW X5.

Putter? Whatever Works

Pontiac G8 Gt.

[/quote]

[/quote]

to be fair GM didnt end the G8 or did the intend to have it save Pontiac. This car started off in Australia under the holden name. Since sales were so good in Australia and Pontiac lacked a full sized coupe in their lineup the changed the front grill of the Holden Commodore and brought it to North America. The Commodore is still being sold in Australia and in other parts of the world as a chevy brand. I would not be surprised one bit to see if come back to North America as a Chevy Lumina in a couple years as the second year sales were extremely good and well over the projections from the previous years sales.

[quote name='Hashbrownn' timestamp='1317131038' post='3594177']
Under 30K? One car will end your search.

2005~06 Volkswagen Phaeton 4-Seater.

If you can spend little more than 30K

2005~06 Volkswagen Phaeton W12 4-Seater.

your search is over
[/quote]

Awesome car yes, but it is the ONLY car made with many of those parts...especially when in relation to the motor. Then if you have something that only the dealer wants to touch or some other VERY specialized mechanic, when you have issues it will be $$$. Not sure the maintenance costs will be low on that car but don't get me wrong, it IS a great engineering feat. Sounds like you either own or really like the car, so have you heard how and why that car came to be?

*disclaimer* I have never priced out parts for it but if it is like any other low volume 'different' car, my experience tells me it won't be cheap. Plus most German cars get homesick if they don't see the Fatherland i.e. dealership every few months :-)

[quote name='hammy83' timestamp='1317135987' post='3594378']
Pontiac G8 Gt.

[/quote]

[/quote]

to be fair GM didnt end the G8 or did the intend to have it save Pontiac. This car started off in Australia under the holden name. Since sales were so good in Australia and Pontiac lacked a full sized coupe in their lineup the changed the front grill of the Holden Commodore and brought it to North America. The Commodore is still being sold in Australia and in other parts of the world as a chevy brand. I would not be surprised one bit to see if come back to North America as a Chevy Lumina in a couple years as the second year sales were extremely good and well over the projections from the previous years sales.
[/quote]

Yes that is correct, and it is already here...the CTS and the new Camaro are both based off the Commodore platform, aka Zeta platform. Only hopes and prayers for GM releasing a RWD Chevy (other than a sports car) back into the US market place

[quote name='Rugger' timestamp='1315197201' post='3542364']
My car is worth about 15k, time to get rid of it. No real requirements as far as the upgrade. Can be new or used. I guess only requirements would be

1) four doors(suv, sedan, wagon)
2) luxury'ish.
3) Reasonable miles(hate repair costs, warranty is a bonus)

Three off the top of my head - Infinit M35/45, 2008-2010 STI, Cadillac CTS

Gotta drag clients and associates around from time to time. What do you think?
[/quote]

Loaded Camry, maybe an ES350?

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

I just test drove a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid. Pretty nice ride. 33c/40h, cooled/heated leather seats, Nav, etc, etc, etc....

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1317944260' post='3636371']
I just test drove a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid. Pretty nice ride. 33c/40h, cooled/heated leather seats, Nav, etc, etc, etc....
[/quote]

Testicle removal is also a standard feature with the Kia as well, one heck of a deal. All kidding aside, they did make one heck of a feature packed car for a bargain price and its pretty good looking.

[quote name='npark' timestamp='1317255469' post='3600463']
[quote name='Hashbrownn' timestamp='1317131038' post='3594177']
Under 30K? One car will end your search.

2005~06 Volkswagen Phaeton 4-Seater.

If you can spend little more than 30K

2005~06 Volkswagen Phaeton W12 4-Seater.

your search is over
[/quote]

Awesome car yes, but it is the ONLY car made with many of those parts...especially when in relation to the motor. Then if you have something that only the dealer wants to touch or some other VERY specialized mechanic, when you have issues it will be $$. Not sure the maintenance costs will be low on that car but don't get me wrong, it IS a great engineering feat. Sounds like you either own or really like the car, so have you heard how and why that car came to be?

*disclaimer* I have never priced out parts for it but if it is like any other low volume 'different' car, my experience tells me it won't be cheap. Plus most German cars get homesick if they don't see the Fatherland i.e. dealership every few months :-)
[/quote]

Yes, I own one. Best car I've ever had. I love the fact that not many know about the car, and there are non around in my area. I love the subtle look of the car and the options that it comes with. Not the best looking car, but that's not what I was looking for. I would go buy a MB or BMW if I wanted to "show-off" This car is not for everyone but if you are looking for a comfortable car with all the bells and whistles, this is it. Nothing like a $80,000+ (NEW) Volkswagen to get people's attention. You can buy a used one for under $30,000 now and that is a steal as long as the miles are low. Maintenance cost is stupid high. Extended warranty is a must.

Can you get Alfa Romeo over there? Yes? then the new Giuliette. It will cost a fortune to run and break down every 2 miles but it doesn't matter, your clients will think you are a god and you will find yourself with thousands of new friends. You will also love yourself; only Google it if you have serious intent otherwise you will end up with a lifetime of angst.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

[quote name='nichho' timestamp='1318289205' post='3654285']
Can you get Alfa Romeo over there? Yes? then the new Giuliette. It will cost a fortune to run and break down every 2 miles but it doesn't matter, your clients will think you are a god and you will find yourself with thousands of new friends. You will also love yourself; only Google it if you have serious intent otherwise you will end up with a lifetime of angst.
[/quote]

Are you talking about [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Giulietta_%282010%29"]this car[/url]? If so, you don't understand how different the US auto market is from Europe. Clients in the US would most definitely not be impressed with it. Aside from the fact that it's a 4-cylinder 5-door hatchback, it looks like it got hit with an ugly stick on the front fender. Regardless, Alfa Romeo isn't sold in the US.

To the OP, aside from the cars you mentioned, I would take a hard look at 1-2 year old Hyundai Genesis. Amazing car for the money with plenty of room. A friend of mine bought an 09 and I couldn't believe it was a Huyndai.