2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

St. Andrews courses

Villadsen

Narrowing it down a bit...
Hi,

I am planning a short trip to The Home Of Golf in June 2012.

We will only be in St. Andrews from Monday to Friday and will only be able to squeeze in 4 rounds of wich two of them are already planned: The Old Course and The New Course.

That means that I need two additional courses to supplement the two mandatory courses.

I think I have narrowed it down to either:

Jubilee Course
Eden Course
Castle Course
Fairmont St. Andrews - The Torrance
Fairmont St. Andrews - The Kittocks

I am well aware that Kingsbarns or Carnoustie would be excellent options as well but I am leaning towards the Fairmont courses as we are able to play these at half price and that factors in as well.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Cheers

Steffen in DK

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played St. Andrews Old and New as well as Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, Muirfield, Prestwick, Turnberry and Western Gailes this past June. Always easy to spend someone else's money. [b]But do not pass on Carnoustie and Kingsbarns! [/b]Spend the extra, it's worth it.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

Thank you for commenting.

I realize that the Fairmont courses are not at the top of the must-play lists for most people - but I am still very keen on getting an hones opinion on them.

While this is trip is sort of a pilgrimage we are not going all in regarding the green fees this time around - partly because we are already forking out on The Old Course but also due to the fact that Scotland is not that far away from us - and therefore we will definitely be back - maybe even next year.

[quote name='Villadsen' timestamp='1316585166' post='3579210']
Thank you for commenting.

I realize that the Fairmont courses are not at the top of the must-play lists for most people - but I am still very keen on getting an hones opinion on them.

While this is trip is sort of a pilgrimage we are not going all in regarding the green fees this time around - partly because we are already forking out on The Old Course but also due to the fact that Scotland is not that far away from us - and therefore we will definitely be back - maybe even next year.
[/quote]

hi there i played the torrance on sunday, it was great but if u have a bit extra cash u have to play kingsbarns i played it in july and it was superb and its only 6 miles from st andrews i havent played carnoustie yet but its next on my radar. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

The difference in price between The Torrance (with discount) and Kingsbarns is a whopping £135 - and while we would be able to find the extra cash I think that we will make Kingsbarns the target for a different trip. There are too many exiting courses in the kingdom to play in one short trip like the one I'm planning.

the torrance course is good... never played the other...

carnoustie to me has the longest greens i have ever played and i didnt enjoy it... i did but will never go back... literally 3 clubs difference from front to back...

never played carnoustie but played a couple times this summer with a member there and really want to play there... that and the new trump course i will play next year as well as our weekend trip to either - castle stewart/nairn west or castle stewart/dornach...

Old course is the old course.... again played once but not rush back but its the home of golf and you have to play it!!!

the new course - never played but my dad has on numerous occasions and he loves it...

if it was me i would do the torrance and carmoustie...

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Jubilee and Castle are both great courses. The fairmont is nice too and when you compare cost Fairmont may be better value than the castle as they are right next door and have a few similarities. Play the Jubilee though it's as tough a course as St Andrews has (that said I played the Castle this week in a 30 knot wind! Not easy)

Thank you for the replies, guys...

The Old & The New Course are definitely on the itinerary pending that our application is successful.

Shortlisted is still The Torrance, The Kittocks, Jubilee and maybe The Castle Course.

I am sure it will be the trip of a lifetime with just the Old Course included so we are good either way I guess.

Cheers.

Played the Torrance course today and would recommend it highly. The greens were the best I've ever putted on and most are protected by massive deep bunkers. You have to be accurate with your approaches as getting up and down from greenside is tricky with all the run offs.

I'd advise getting a strokesaver at the very least to help you stay clear of hidden bunkers and burns, something I'd definitely invest in the next time if I wanted to improve on my 98 less 11hcp lol

Been to Scotland nine times and don't bother with the Fairmont courses they are totally Americanizd resort courses. If you are looking for great links courses look into Lundin Links, Levey Links, Ellie Golf House and Crail Balcomie. Lundin and Levey are outstanding true links courses. Crail is home to the seventh oldest golf club in the world and Ellie is a hoot to play with a great mix of holes. As for when you are in St Andrews definitely play the Jubilee and New Course they are great values and outstanding tests of golf. If you are looking for a great place to stay that is reasonable look into 5 Pilmour Place. Jackie is a saint! Good luck it is a trip I wish all who love the game could experience.

[color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1]Dum Spiro Spero[/size][/font][/color]

Thank you very much for the kind responses.

We have handicaps of 9, 9, 12 and 24 so I am thinking that at least 1 "resort" course would be great as I imagine the Links courses will be pretty difficult for the higher handicapper.

Appreciate the info on the Leven, Lundin, Crail and Ellie courses and they were originally included in the shortlist but I think a balance between real links courses and the Fairmont courses will be best for all parties.

Castle and Jubilee would be the two I'd play.

I would not worry about the 24 handicapper playing links. They aren't more difficult, just different and that is really the reason to visit Scotland (at least for me).

I like the suggestions of Crail, Elie, Lundin & Leven. I haven't played them but they will be on my next trip. They should cost less than the Fiarmont courses. Crail is only 20 minutes from St Andrews and the Balcomie course at Crail is supposed to be a fantastic experience.

If you have your heart set on playing a non-links, Ladybank is the #1 choice in Fife. It's about a 30 minute drive from St Andrews

Cheers,

Just trying to cater for all. As I have no experience playing links golf I am just trying to cater for all.

Going to Scotland - I think it would be a shame not to play all the links golf we can fit in the 4-5 day trip. Playing inland golf is something we can do plenty at home (in Denmark).

Ladybanks or Scotscraig however looks to be good alternatives to pure links courses.

Crail is a course that we have looked at and if we were to play both courses it is reasonably priced at £79 for the day ticket - not too bad at all.

Out of your choices:

1. Castle Course -- don't miss, I'd sub it for New Course, personally
2. Fairmont St. Andrews - The Torrance

Saving money, do Lundin Links over the Fairmont. Be sure to spend some time chatting up the lady in the clubhouse/restaurant -- she's a hoot. Crail is another good option, as is Leven.

[quote name='Villadsen' timestamp='1317724098' post='3622597']We have handicaps of 9, 9, 12 and 24 so I am thinking that at least 1 "resort" course would be great as I imagine the [b]Links courses will be pretty difficult for the higher handicapper[/b].[/quote]
No, no. You go there [u]for the links experience[/u]. Tell your high-capper to practice his 8-iron low runners and putting from well off the green. He'll be fine.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Pont taken. Both regarding the foxy lady at the Lundin Clubhouse and the 8-iron bump and run.

The Clubhouse Lady™ might swing it for at least one of the guys... but eyes on the ball vava.gif

The Lundin Links looks like a fine test of golf... aaaargh so many choices - so little time. We will only be playing 18 a day in order to be able to experience the pubs at St. Andrews and generally sample the scottish hospitality.

[quote name='Villadsen' timestamp='1317748165' post='3623809']...regarding the foxy lady at the Lundin Clubhouse...[/quote]
No, no, no .... she's not "foxy":lol:, she's a fountain of information and she's hilarious. Food is good, too.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

• 2 weeks later...

Tee time at The Torrance Course now confirmed.

That means that the plan looks like this:

[b]Monday[/b]: The Torrance Course at Fairmont St. Andrews
[b]Tuesday[/b]: The New Course
[b]Wednesday[/b]: The Old Course
[b]Thursday[/b]: Playing 36 holes - Still undecided but it looks like a showdown between Crail/Lundin/Castle Course/Kittocks/?

We will not be renting a car and plan on using Taxi to get to The Torrance Course and whatever we are playing on Thursday.

Inputs are still very appreciated.

Cheers.

If you are going via Taxi, Lundin and Leven are pretty far away from St. Andrews - probably around 45 minutes away. Probably better to either play Crail or the Castle course. Castle is close to St. Andrews, maybe 5 minutes away, and Crail is just down the coast a bit maybe 15 minutes away. I'd play Crail. It is a great little links course.

I haven't played Castle, but played Old Course, Crail and Lundin in May and enjoyed them immensely. Lunch in Crail clubhouse was great afterward as the restaurant has a ton of glass and looks out on the course. Good fish and chips, like everywhere over there.

Castle course looks nice as we drove by. Heard bad things about the greens being too undulating, but I think they may have remodeled them and took some of the slope out of them.

Have a great time. I can't wait to go back.

• 3 weeks later...

Hooorrraaayyy.... The Links Trust at St. Andrews has just confirmed our tee time at both The New and The Old Course!

With this out of the way all we need is to fill one day:

Itinerary looks like this:

[color="#777777"]18.06.2011: The Torrance Course, Fairmont St. Andrews[/color]
[color="#777777"]19.06.2011: [/color]
[color="#777777"]20.06.2011: The Old Course[/color]
[color="#777777"]21.06.2011: The New Course[/color]
[color="#777777"]22.06.2011: No golf -> Airport
[/color][color="#777777"] [/color]
Crail is the frontrunner for the last spot - maybe even doing both the Balcomie and Craighead Links in one day - but need to be fresh for The Old Course which is the crown jewel of the trip.

Suggestions or input is still very welcome.

Cheers.

Steffen in DK

[quote name='Villadsen' timestamp='1320134789' post='3745419']
Hooorrraaayyy.... The Links Trust at St. Andrews has just confirmed our tee time at both The New and The Old Course!

With this out of the way all we need is to fill one day:

Itinerary looks like this:

[color="#777777"]18.06.2011: The Torrance Course, Fairmont St. Andrews[/color]
[color="#777777"]19.06.2011: [/color]
[color="#777777"]20.06.2011: The Old Course[/color]
[color="#777777"]21.06.2011: The New Course[/color]
[color="#777777"]22.06.2011: No golf -> Airport
[/color]
Crail is the frontrunner for the last spot - maybe even doing both the Balcomie and Craighead Links in one day - but need to be fresh for The Old Course which is the crown jewel of the trip.

Suggestions or input is still very welcome.

Cheers.

Steffen in DK
[/quote]

Well, the Balcomie Course was designed in 1895 by Old Tom Morris, the Craighead was designed in 1995 by an American (no offence intended!), don't wear yourselves out with the Craighead, enjoy the history when you have the chance.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

[b]Monday[/b]: Crail Balcomie
[b]Tuesday[/b]:
[b]Wednesday[/b]: Old Course
[b]Thursday[/b]: New Course + 1 additional course as we finish by noon on the New Course and it is the last day in St. Andrews.

Still need to fill in the Tuesday...

We are renting a car so getting around should not be a problem anymore.

Suggestions are still highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steffen in DK