2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

What tees do highschool golfers play from?

Love2Slice

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure it differs for certain parts of the country as well. The area I am from (north east) is not particularly known for high level golf talent especially at the high school level. We generally played courses at tees no more than 3200 yards for nine holes. The 18 hole state/conference championships stretched out to maybe 6600-6700 tops.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

Way back in my high school days we played between 6500 and 6800 yards. My advice would be try to look up previous tournament results online to see if they have yardages listed.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

It's designed to help the worse players though. Our home course has red, white, blue, and black tees. Blacks are about 6,900 yards and a good golfer or atleast someone who can hit it solid can play those tees. I play the blacks usually with about a 260 yard drive and can shoot between 78 and 82 usually but the other kids on my team would have been hitting driver, 3 wood, 9 iron into a 420 yard hole where I may hit a driver and an 8 iron or something. I too live in the northeast and maybe five years ago the high school golf was good but now it is fall fast. We played 9 holes and for the division right below us (Div. III) would have "medalists" shooting 43-45 which is a joke because there are a couple schools who take 5 of 8 scores and their highest score is like 39 for 9 holes. It is all about making the playing field fair, unfortunatly it actually makes it harder for some better players. I have a friend who played a tournament this week on a par 33 9-hole course and said it was awful, shot 34 and then played one of the tougher courses in the state from the tips and shot -5. It is sort of flukey.

[quote name='tigerphan' timestamp='1316963061' post='3589309']
5700-6400 its a joke, the bad players come into play with such short yardages on bad courses.
[/quote]

On a wide open course that yardage will be pretty easy, 6400 not so much but I will tell you that the course I play the most is like 6000 yards, and is the hardest course that I have played yet. Because of where hazards are placed and where fairway lines are also about 14 greens are guarded by bunkers. In addition the amount of doglegs make it play to about 6800 yards. In my opinion its not the yardage its the course layout.

We are usually around 3000-3300 for 9 hole matches and tournies we are around 6200-6400. But it all depends, we are in MN which isn't known for the best junior golfers, and we have some teams in our conference who quite frankly have kids who wouldn't even have a chance of making some of the better schools jv's.

[quote name='BkgolferNH' timestamp='1316964313' post='3589341']
It's designed to help the worse players though. Our home course has red, white, blue, and black tees. Blacks are about 6,900 yards and a good golfer or atleast someone who can hit it solid can play those tees. I play the blacks usually with about a 260 yard drive and can shoot between 78 and 82 usually but the other kids on my team would have been hitting driver, 3 wood, 9 iron into a 420 yard hole where I may hit a driver and an 8 iron or something. I too live in the northeast and maybe five years ago the high school golf was good but now it is fall fast. [b]We played 9 holes and for the division right below us (Div. III) would have "medalists" shooting 43-45 which is a joke because there are a couple schools who take 5 of 8 scores and their highest score is like 39 for 9 holes.[/b] It is all about making the playing field fair, unfortunatly it actually makes it harder for some better players. I have a friend who played a tournament this week on a par 33 9-hole course and said it was awful, shot 34 and then played one of the tougher courses in the state from the tips and shot -5. It is sort of flukey.
[/quote]
Holy crap haha, that is terrible. I play Division I in Northeast Ohio and 43-45 won't even count for most schools. It's play 6, take 4 in matches. Play 5, take 4 in tournaments. Played in a tournament this weekend. Par 71, 6,800 yards. The medalist shot an even par 71. The team that won it went 71, 72, 76, 79.My team is 6-8 and our 9 hole match scores are usually around 37, 41, 41, 42. Our home course is Par 35, 6,600 yards.

It's designed to help the worse players though. Our home course has red, white, blue, and black tees. Blacks are about 6,900 yards and a good golfer or atleast someone who can hit it solid can play those tees. I play the blacks usually with about a 260 yard drive and can shoot between 78 and 82 usually but the other kids on my team would have been hitting driver, 3 wood, 9 iron into a 420 yard hole where I may hit a driver and an 8 iron or something. I too live in the northeast and maybe five years ago the high school golf was good but now it is fall fast. We played 9 holes and for the division right below us (Div. III) would have "medalists" shooting 43-45 which is a joke because there are a couple schools who take 5 of 8 scores and their highest score is like 39 for 9 holes. It is all about making the playing field fair, unfortunatly it actually makes it harder for some better players. I have a friend who played a tournament this week on a par 33 9-hole course and said it was awful, shot 34 and then played one of the tougher courses in the state from the tips and shot -5. It is sort of flukey.

Holy crap haha, that is terrible. I play Division I in Northeast Ohio and 43-45 won't even count for most schools. It's play 6, take 4 in matches. Play 5, take 4 in tournaments. Played in a tournament this weekend. Par 71, 6,800 yards. The medalist shot an even par 71. The team that won it went 71, 72, 76, 79.My team is 6-8 and our 9 hole match scores are usually around 37, 41, 41, 42. Our home course is Par 35, 6,600 yards.

whooaa thats long!!! rolleyes.gif kidding

At my school in the Northeast we play tips....our home course is slope of 140. We usually pick by the slope, but we are a bit different as we can recruit

whooaa thats long!!! rolleyes.gif kidding

At my school in the Northeast we play tips....our home course is slope of 140. We usually pick by the slope, but we are a bit different as we can recruit

It varies, last year, my senior year we played mostly one forward of tips but we went to one course expecting to play those tees around 6,200 yards and so the kids were like "I won't even need to hit driver on some holes" and then the other coach was like "Nope, we're playig the tips" and thats like 6,700 which, like I said doesn't bother me. I am not trying to toot my own horn because I am an 8 handicap who plays like a scratch 3 days a week and a 16 the other four days haha when I look at a course I look at the par-3s because that's what kills me. We played this course and the par 5s were managable, I think like 550 and 525, one is like reachable depending on the conditions and the other is a lay up and hopeful birdie hole. But the par 3s were 235 and 205 and for the kids on my team that was a driver on the longer hole and they couldn't even reach and then like a 3 wood on 205 yard hole. I think I hit 2 hybrid and 4 iron for the two but I have always struggled with long iron/hybrid ball striking and so those stout par 3s just kill me. Give me a 430 yard par 4 and I should be fine but a 230 yard par 3 and you can throw a 4 on the card on the tee box.

[quote name='NewGeneration' timestamp='1316977542' post='3589753']
Wow, I was expecting to hear whites or blues, with blacks being out of the question, but honestly, the black tees have the best views, and most room for error, at my course the blue-red tees are crammed about 20 yards off the woods, black is usually dead center.
[/quote]

I have NEVER seen high school golfers play from the tips. Here in Michigan, it is almost always the blue tees, usually measuring between 6400-6700.