2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Iron Covers

Carlo

OK, when I'm shipping them somewhere, or if they are going to be in the trunk for a long ride in the back of a town car, sure, i'll see if I can find the set of covers the store gave me and cover my irons. But on the course I think they are a simply reflective of personality type. Hey, if your office is well organized and you are willing to put the time into putting everythin in its place all the time, then sure, I understand how you are able to manage iron covers. If you have stacks of stuff here and there, though, I have to believe that iron covers are too much micromangement, and will end up in your pockets and the cart basket more than on the irons.

Perhaps I'm lazy... I've mostly lost the iron covers I was given... and my wood covers, too, i have to say. No biggy...I curently have the financial wherewithal (or disdain) to keep the clubs I've outlived--if I outlive them--and just buy new, but I understand why some would want to "protect their investment" for resale. Its a personallity style. I'm sure there is a correlation with your general level of fastitiousness--are you an Oscar or are you a Felix?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The reason Tour Pros don't use Iron covers is b/c no one can see what brand they are when they are in the bag on TV. That's why they get their's free and paid millions just to use them. For those that think folks with covers can't play, well let's get a game on next time you are in South Carolina or the Philippines. My grandfather used them on his Ping Eye 2s, my father uses them, my brothers use them, and of course I use them. It's proven that the most damage to clubs usually happens while it's still in the bag. I also take a brush to my clubs after each hit to make sure they are nice and clean for each hit. Laugh when you want, but when my ball stops on the green with no extra effort on my part. I have always been taught if you take care of your tools and equipment, no matter what it is, your tools and equipment will take care of you.

I'm one of those guys that has covers on his forged blades. They are geeky i'll admit, but that geekyness goes away real quick when i'm pulling coin from all my golf buddies. I've made enough money with my covered clubs to pay for another set of blades. Besides our club champion who's a +1 covers all his old school Callaygay irons, (as if they need to be protected).

I have covers on my forged blades because they can't be replaced. They still look new on the backs after more than 10 years. I wash them in the garage sink after almost every round and wipe on a bit of WD40. Brush off and wipe down my shoes and leave them with shoe trees in them. Take care of your stuff and it lasts a long time.

I need a set for my 695mbs, I can't seem to find any that aren't that cheap kind of fabric type. I had some rubber ones with my TM TP Forged's but I sold those to a friend and he tossed the covers. The ones I'm thinking of were all black and had a red tag thing where the hosel would go....HELP!!!

Face Saver Plus

One of my golf buddies uses iron covers. A few weeks back he had to circle back at least 5 or 6 times from the green to the fairway because he dropped his iron cover. I'm guessing it cost him (and us) about 10 minutes total time. That's just an example of one round.

I've been playing golf with this guy for several years. At one point during that round I said, "Richard, take those damn iron covers off your clubs because you're slowing us down and we're tired of waiting."

Needless to say, he showed up the following week with them...

That's because he has the wrong ones. YOU should buy him a set of Face Saver Plus covers. They have the cords that you can use to tie adjacent covers together with (you don't actually tie them you pop the little bulb through the hole and they never come untied). Like I've got my S&W, 9&8, etc. tied together. You can flip them off in the same motion you reach for a club. When you get back to the bag it's hanging there. I have it back on before the grip hits the bottom of the bag. They kind of snap on/grip the hosel so they don't fall off either. I'm sure that once you see them in action you'll have a set of your own :smilie_ping:

USING IRON COVERS!!!! that is SURE sign of someone that can't play....I have NEVER seen a good golfer use iron covers......just like tennis skirts should only come in size small ----- iron covers should say on the package "for handicaps of 10 or higher"......

People with this small amount of brain power I can't even feel sorry for...

I take care of my clubs the same way I take care of my car... my house...

Covers are always used.

Guess I'd better raise my handicap... so I can sandbag with the best of em....

I don't use iron covers mostly because it is too time consuming for me, but if you want to limit the amount of dings on your clubs, that's fine. What helps me alot is I always have an extra towel on my bag that goes around the heads on my clubs. It doesn't eliminate clubs knocking against each other, but it definitely keeps it to a minimum. Also, if you look at tour pro's, alot of times their caddies will have a towel over the top of their clubs too.

Entertaining thread...

I use the club glove neoprenes (the cheaper ones). It is like a little wet suit booty. I chose to use them for the following reasons:

1.) All of my shafts are now graphite (sans putter).

2.) Seems pointless to have your clubs bashing together on a cart when you can easily avoid it.

3.) My TM clubs have small numbers and the tags on the covers let me see the club I am after before I even get to the bag.

For those that say these slow down play... the little boot slips off and goes in my right pocket before I can even get to the ball.

For those that pass other judgement on folks for using them... well, let's just say it is highly likely that most of them have just a little extra room in their trousers.

I use the cheap-o neoprene covers from Walmart for $9. Apart from a small rip on one of the covers they have held up well for just under a year. I take them off before a game and leave them in my bag or trunk of the car. I use a pull cart during a game so there’s not much banging around of my clubs unless I’m carrying them in the trunk of my car or moving them around after and before a game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

hi everyone ... this is my first post.

I use mizuno iron covers to protect my MP-60 during transport and play. Just on Saturday one of my playing partners asked me "Are these Irons new?" Nope ... they are a year old with about 100 odd rounds (not counting practice rounds). I wish I bought the covers sooner rather than later.

I did not know there is a stigma associated with people with covers. Sure they are tools not jewels but they are also my pride & joy worth protecting. To me it's not about resale value but more looking after your tools and equipments. I also clean my irons, woods, putter and my practice balls (I normally use 5) after each round because I like to start the next round with a clean slate. The covers are off at home because there is no reason to put them on but most importantly to eliminate oxidation which could occur if the covers are damp.

iron covers for 10+ cappers??? or over 50??? time wasters etc etc ... oh dear!!!! :D there is no concrete argument from these sorts opposing the use of iron covers. so don't listen to them. if covers are not your thing then you could always re-arrange them in such a way to avoid bag chatter. if you are not worried about bag chatter, dings or dents then that's fine too ... after all they are yours to do as you pleased.

my hc is 21.2 btw ... cheers everyone

Another user here. Yes I felt geeky and still do at times, but logic always wins out. Basically what everyone else said. Why treat your expensive clubs badly, and not have them last as long as possible? Makes no sense to me. I use wood(metal) club covers anyway, so what is the difference? Not like the new metal woods are wood anymore.

Got the iron armor club covers for free as they were sent to me to me by PGA Partners Club. Tried them out, and I like them. They go on easy, and they have little windows so it does not matter what club they go on. The club cover is part of the pre, and post-shot routine for me now. Club cover comes off I need to focus, game on. Club cover goes back on shot is over, put the club in the bag, let it go, and move on. I also walk so I do like how there is a lot less noise.

I'm rather poor, and I'd like to hang onto my callaways for as long as I can. I use these headcovers from Golfsmiths and they work great. I also wipe my club after every hit if I'm playing alone where pace is not important. Otherwise I'll clean all my clubs after I get home from a round. As for my driver, I'll take the headcover off and leave it in the car when I play. Since it's the tallest club, it doesn't bang into all the other shorter clubs.

I never knew so many people are against using irons headcovers until I discovered this thread. I guess I never cared. No one I've played with ever complained either.

i use covers. they are fine, and i have no trouble 'losing' them, or with them coming off during a round. but that probably has to do with the way they are designed (zippered ones from golf galaxy.)

i travel a lot with my clubs (forged), and the bag handlers just throw the bags around. so the covers keep the clubs from getting damaged during travel. i have no problem with them getting banged up with bag chatter, but have you ever seen a face gouged from your bag being thrown around? if you have then you wouldn't say covers are silly or laugh at them.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they are really STUPID!!!!!!!!!! Why would someone want to cover up their irons? If you cover them up then you don't want people to see them because they suck so bad!!!! HAHA

I'm just saying that if you have good irons, why wouldn't you want people to see them? Who cares if they get "DINGED UP." Why would you want to sell them if they are good?

glad someone else mentioned it, cause i too clean my iron after each shot during a round, AND cover them, lol. guess it just "becomes" something you do, part of your routine. i don't look at others in my foursome or on the putting green and check to see if they use iron covers, the thought never crosses my mind. has no bearing on how you score, so who cares. to each their own.

SMOOTH SPIN...SORRY you took such offense...it came across harsher than what I wanted, but I still have never seen a good player that uses them...I would got laughed out and kicked out of the groups I play with if I showed up with them.....JMO

if someone were to laugh and throw you out of the group you play with, for something such as using iron covers, you need to find other people to play golf with. I cover my irons because I feel like covering my irons. And if a person doesnt like it, they can get bent. If they want to laugh and poke fun at my iron covers, they can play by themselves, it certainly wont hurt my feelings. I pay for my golf clubs, not them. if I dont want my irons beat up from bag chatter, why is that anyone else's concern? I did not ask them to buy them, and I did not ask them to use them, and most importantly, i did not ask for their opinion of them.

I do not use them and my Bridgestone J33 CBs are so dinged up in the sole area, the faces are clean though. I got them cheap and it's not a big deal. My son says they look battle hardened but when I see similar clubs in mint condition, there is a huge difference but I'm starting to like them the way they are right now. I tend to lose the headcovers so I stopped using them. I do cover my newly restored Slighter putter and all my woods. To each his own, I play regularly with a guy who covers his MP 37s and they look immaculate, beautiful blades and I can understand why he covers them. He's a 2 handicap.

I use them all the time and in fact most of my friends laugh at me.... the reason I use them is simple with todays irons being mostly soft metal they seem to get dinged up quickly even by just walking rounds of golf. These covers keep my irons looking like new all the time and increased my trade in value when I up grade or want a new set. I am a plus 3 handicap

I think they are really STUPID!!!!!!!!!! Why would someone want to cover up their irons? If you cover them up then you don't want people to see them because they suck so bad!!!! HAHA

I'm just saying that if you have good irons, why wouldn't you want people to see them? Who cares if they get "DINGED UP." Why would you want to sell them if they are good?

Let me ask you this....do you have a cover on your putter? How about your driver? I mean...who cares if they get dinged up...show them off! ;)

Same logic applies to irons...if someone chooses to cover theirs, so be it. Especially if you drop some coin on a nice set of forged irons....you may want to keep them looking good. I would agree that covers on a set of cast Pings makes no sense as those heads are SUPER durable. But otherwise...who cares what somone chooses to do?

RIDE