blade for beginner?

snowmen10

I never really take golfing seriously before. Even though I started when I was kid, but I played golf once or twice in the range (artificial grass mat) every year, not really on a real course until this year. After hitting the course I love the game! I average about 30+ handicap this year with a driver, a X-22 Tour 6 iron, a 56 degree wedge, and a putter.

I'm planning to purchase a set of iron to work on it in par-3 courses next year (I already got wedges). However, I ran into a problem. I went to the store where they got golf simulator and got the club face taped like a condom to try a lot of irons, including Callaway FT, Razr tour, Taylormade CB, MC, MB, Titleist AP1, AP2, MB, Mizuno MP68, ... etc.

I've realized that yet I like the fact of my ball is very consistence with its path and distance for FT and AP1, but the MBs from Taylormade, Titleist, and MP68 will give me a lot more details on where it strikes the balls and what kind of mistake or problem I got into that I maybe able to find a solution to correct it. I also love the feeling of the blades. I also don't notice the drawback of the 7 irons in blades when comparing with game improvement, but the 3 irons has less distance in average and I have less accuracy. I think AP2 and Razr tour is even harder to hit than the blades because I cannot feel what is really going on (same as GI) and I've penalized (same as blade). It got a bit of disadvantage from both game improvement and blades! Every shot I made made me less confident. I think the less confident greatly affects my posture.

So I'm choosing between game improvement and blades now (Callaway FT/Titleist AP1 or Taylormade MB/Mizuno MP68)

I've noticed everyone said blades are for very low handicappers. Even one of my friend told me blade is for someone who doesn't really need to pay for his club. These made me wonder a bit wether I should get a blade or not. I probably feel not much of disadvantage from a blade because of the artificial grass mat used in golf simulator, but it's not like I can take the blade to the course and play around them to see what it's like.

Are there any beginners starting with blades when they also have a choice to select game improvement iron, but select blades still? Is it really hard to play on the course for 30+ handicap? Do you regret your choice?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a joke, don't get blades, trust me, I'm a 30ish and use them if you want a nice forged feeling iron, get a players forged cavity, examples: MP-53, MP-62, MP-59, MP-57. Any of those above will be good, and there is nothing you will desire in a blade you will not have with those. If there is you are lying. I advise MP-53's, with a shaft that fits, like KBS tour, S300, if that fits you, it is easy to get, and get fitted.

[quote name='NewGeneration' timestamp='1318891520' post='3685057']
It was a joke, don't get blades, trust me, I'm a 30ish and use them if you want a nice forged feeling iron, get a players forged cavity, examples: MP-53, MP-62, MP-59, MP-57. Any of those above will be good, and there is nothing you will desire in a blade you will not have with those. If there is you are lying. I advise MP-53's, with a shaft that fits, like KBS tour, S300, if that fits you, it is easy to get, and get fitted.
[/quote]

Did you just say you are a 30' cap and you play 68's?

Go buy whatever you want, if you like it, thats all that matters.

[/quote]

Not trying to affend you but aren't you the kid on here who's been raving about how beginners can play blades and it's ok and how you love them? Weird you won't recommend them for others though? Or did you finally change your mind? Just wondering :)

The words blade and beginner don't really go well together. Surely blades are aesthetically pleasing, but if you're just starting out they will frustrate you more than anything. You can get a similar look at address from irons that provide more forgiveness than a straight blade. Most people have the misconception that if you play with more difficult clubs, it'll provide a challenge and will drive you to get better at the game. If anything it'll drive you more into quitting. IMHO, check the ego at the door and go for something easier to hit. When you build your swing and get more consistent with your ball-striking then it's time to get clubs that you can work. Blades aren't the be all and end all of irons. Sure they're nice to look at, but your scores won't be as pretty.

[quote name='Minty7890' timestamp='1318890602' post='3684953']
Your level of play doesn't matter as much as your pace. Play used balls and ditch them when they go astray. Keep up with your group (and the group in front), be respectful, and you won't have problems.
[/quote]

I don't really waste time to find balls. With my 6 iron right now, I can control where it goes, left or right, but I cannot control the distance (Sometimes I'll miss hit and it won't fly high so the distance is penalized). So the only thing that will need time to find the ball is when I hit too far and it goes over the hill that may have trees behind it or I didn't get the balls to the air and into the pond. I'm not sure if I still can hit straight if I switch to blade in the first couple times, but I'll try to keep the pace.

I have more problem with the Driver sometimes though but if I'm goin' to par 3 course next year I won't need a driver.

[quote name='TommyOC' timestamp='1318893417' post='3685229']
[/quote]

Not trying to affend you but aren't you the kid on here who's been raving about how beginners can play blades and it's ok and how you love them? Weird you won't recommend them for others though? Or did you finally change your mind? Just wondering :)
[/quote]

Uh, this guy is talking about buying a new set of irons, I have said several times in the past about how much more I'd prefer a little cavity. Sure, anyone can hit blades, but honestly, there is a little to be desired.

So no, I'm not getting on the ego train. I'm just saying there is nothing a blade allows that an MP-59 wouldn't IMO.

You're not just wondering either, you're trying to fire me up. So if you want me to reccommend what I have like everyone else does I can do it. I'd trade my 68's for 53's or 52's any day.

I have a set of S58's in the mail that just crossed the border from candada. Those will see play time I can assure you.

I know I'm not helping my self by playing blades, but I love the look, and the feel, and the thought you get when you stick a green from 210 yards over water with a 5 iron, which I did. Yesterday.

You could try a set of Hogan Apex they are dead easy to hit and still feel nice and smooth. EBAY has them for pretty cheap.

[url="http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ben-Hogan-2006-Apex-Forged-Irons-Blades-3-E-Stiff-NICE-/160657478161?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2567ee9211#ht_3370wt_1396"]http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ben-Hogan-2006-Apex-Forged-Irons-Blades-3-E-Stiff-NICE-/160657478161?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2567ee9211#ht_3370wt_1396[/url]

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1318893250' post='3685201']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I got a deal on 'em and hit 'em pretty good. I figure if I'm hitting about as far as my buddies playing SGI's with blades, then I'm doing alright.

So, not I'm gonna ask you a question to fire you up, what was the point in your post aside from questioning a 15 year old, feel better now? Stroke that ego. Yeah, you weren't always good at golf and I doubt anyone said stuff about your bag, I'm not getting mad. Just frustrated how people ALWAYS insult my blades on here.

[quote name='NewGeneration' timestamp='1318895135' post='3685407']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I got a deal on 'em and hit 'em pretty good. I figure if I'm hitting about as far as my buddies playing SGI's with blades, then I'm doing alright.

So, not I'm gonna ask you a question to fire you up, what was the point in your post aside from questioning a 15 year old, feel better now? Stroke that ego. Yeah, you weren't always good at golf and I doubt anyone said stuff about your bag, I'm not getting mad. Just frustrated how people ALWAYS insult my blades on here.
[/quote]

i think he was pointing out your hypocrisy. you advise the OP, who is a beginner to not use blades, yet you are also a beginner and use blades.

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

[quote name='snowmen10' timestamp='1318895960' post='3685465']
Thanx, I'll try more CB irons next week and see how it goes.
[/quote]

Go and hit everything on the wall, but try the 4 irons in the sets, since this will give you a better indicator of their forgiveness.

BTW Adams has some pretty nice iron offerings these days.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Stroking ego??

Insulting your blades?

Seriously, kid.. and thanks for clarifying that you are indeed not even old enough to drive yourself to the course, and still to young to realize that I wasn't attacking you.

Point was, you told him no blades, get something else, but preface that with the admission you are indeed a very high handicap player, who plays with blades.

Odd right? Thought so.

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1318897989' post='3685631']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Stroking ego??

Insulting your blades?

Seriously, kid.. and thanks for clarifying that you are indeed not even old enough to drive yourself to the course, and still to young to realize that I wasn't attacking you.

Point was, you told him no blades, get something else, but preface that with the admission you are indeed a very high handicap player, who plays with blades.

Odd right? Thought so.
[/quote]

Not odd at all, actually sir, implying my experience is just a way to help, I feel a little forged CB is the best you can get, EX, MP-62/3 and Titleist CB's. If I was made of money I would have them. So it's not odd, just because I use X flex in some clubs doesn't mean I would tell everyone to use X flex. I am going back to S300's in irons, with X flex in woods.

To the OP hope yer new sticks treat you well, whatever you decide, and please post back with what you picked and we will promptly tear you to shreds.friends.gif

lol

sure, I'll post back with what I picked. It's sad we'll have snow soon and it'll be next year to determine if I regret or not :p

Go demo, or get fit for them somewhere, and work on your swing with them while the snow is on the ground. Do you have those indoor ranges near you? Assuming so, since that seems to be a popular thing if the colder climates. You would be used to them before the snow melts and will know if you like them enough to play them full time or not.

[quote name='NewGeneration' timestamp='1318894922' post='3685391']
[quote name='TommyOC' timestamp='1318893417' post='3685229']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Uh, this guy is talking about buying a new set of irons, I have said several times in the past about how much more I'd prefer a little cavity. Sure, anyone can hit blades, but honestly, there is a little to be desired.

So no, I'm not getting on the ego train. I'm just saying there is nothing a blade allows that an MP-59 wouldn't IMO.

You're not just wondering either, you're trying to fire me up. So if you want me to reccommend what I have like everyone else does I can do it. I'd trade my 68's for 53's or 52's any day.

I have a set of S58's in the mail that just crossed the border from candada. Those will see play time I can assure you.

I know I'm not helping my self by playing blades, but I love the look, and the feel, and the thought you get when you stick a green from 210 yards over water with a 5 iron, which I did. Yesterday.
[/quote]

I'm positive that I would know what I'm implying when I asked my question, so yes I was just wondering and not trying to fire you up. But I should have known you would get fired up b/c that is usually the case. Can't blame you, you're 15 years old and think you rule the world. Everyone was that age once. As for sticking it on the green 210 yds out with a 5 iron, congrats but if you can do that why the heck are you a 30+ handicap? Your putting must be terrible, or that was your 3rd drop on that hole

[quote name='ajgoodal.704' timestamp='1318902132' post='3686037'] OP, if you want blades for a first set, I'd recommend going with a slightly used set. Play them on the golf course for a bit before you drop close to a grand, which a lot of blade sets cost these days. The course will be the major decider on whether blades are right for you, not the range or indoor simulator. Not trying to say anything about your game, just something I've had first hand experience with. Good luck.
[/quote]

The second hand sounds like a good idea. Even if I don't like it (GI or blade) at the end, I still can sell it and change to another one without loosing much money.

oh and the thing about the hats was a joke, people always argue about those flat brim hats. Most younger people love them, as they do New Era 59/50s. Most older people are more into the classic style of hat. The one's who hate them usually say that its inappropriate or something for golf, and those who like them defend themselves. Just do a search and you will see endless pages of arguments and see what I'm talking about :)
As for the blades:
Do whatever you like. I almost got a set of mp68's bc I was gonna get them for cheap from a member. Ended up passing and saving up some more money. Got some taylormade tour preffered CB. Like the feel of the forged clubs, and the CBs are forgiving while providing a nice feel. Just go demo a few clubs at your local course. It's all personal preference and what works for you

wow... what happened here... scare2.gif

My question, too.

Please keep your posts pointed at the topic and not other members.

Rules

Posting here is a privilege, not a right.

•  
  • While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]