blade for beginner?

snowmen10

id suggest skipping blades for the time being. Id get a set of big berthas or some really forgivable irons that arent terribly expensive.The blades will be a lot less forgiving and become very discouraging (imo). Id suggest you go pay 150-200 for a complete set of forgivable irons and try them out on the course. If you dont like them then you can always resale them and go to blades but i think you will be surprised with the outcome

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 20 years ago I started playing with Ram lasr blades and in the long run it probably made me a better golfer but if I would have had a nice GI iron set and hybrids the game would have been way more fun! I would probably have been a 5 handicap after 6 years instead of 12 . Don't choose blades to learn to play golf . It's just my opinion but pick a iron like the AP1 or the G20 . After a few yrs if you need more workability move to a blade. Hope you continue to enjoy learning the game of golf. I don't know what I would do with my life without Golf. You can find awesome deals in the for sale section here or on eBay .

I tried SGI before, and I think it kind of ruin my golfing experiences that I know I miss hit it pretty bad but I still can get it straight and into the air. If I want more forgiveness to my current 6i X-22 Tour, then I think GI (such as AP1/FT/JPX800... etc) is good enough. I have a tendency of hitting a par in one and exploded to +5 on the next. Sometimes I miss hit and can't get the ball up in the air for good enough distance, but mostly because of putting. A few time I have birdie chance and blew off by my putting. That's why I still don't have a birdie. Even with SGI, I don't think it will change this fact. So I think GI is good enough right now.

[quote name='Dillinger' timestamp='1318916817' post='3686959']
About 20 years ago I started playing with Ram lasr blades and in the long run it probably made me a better golfer but if I would have had a nice GI iron set and hybrids the game would have been way more fun! I would probably have been a 5 handicap after 6 years instead of 12 . Don't choose blades to learn to play golf . It's just my opinion but pick a iron like the AP1 or the G20 . After a few yrs if you need more workability move to a blade. Hope you continue to enjoy learning the game of golf. I don't know what I would do with my life without Golf. You can find awesome deals in the for sale section here or on eBay .
[/quote]

So even with instructor, it's still difficult to overcome the learning curve of a blade?

One of my friend suggest me to buy a set of second hand blade if I really want to try it on course, but also order a second hand 4I and 7I GI iron to compare with or use it in time like crossing water or more forgiving-required shot. If I like the blade challenge I still can use blade, but if I'm tired of this challenge I can use GI for most of the time, and probably buy a set of GI after.

What do you guys think?

[quote name='snowmen10' timestamp='1318952411' post='3688229']
So even with instructor, it's still difficult to overcome the learning curve of a blade?

One of my friend suggest me to buy a set of second hand blade if I really want to try it on course, but also order a second hand 4I and 7I GI iron to compare with or use it in time like crossing water or more forgiving-required shot. If I like the blade challenge I still can use blade, but if I'm tired of this challenge I can use GI for most of the time, and probably buy a set of GI after.

What do you guys think?
[/quote]

The center of the club is the center of the club. No instructor can magically make you hit that spot on the club regularly. There is no learning curve to a blade, it's the learning curve to golf in general. It takes years of playing to be able to pure the ball regularly. it sounds like you're set on getting blades anyway, so go ahead and try them out, but I think most people would agree that you shouldn't even touch blades until you've shot rounds near par.

I don't understand why the game isn't challenging enough for you. If you're shooting nothing but 60's and are bored I can see it, but it sounds like you're struggling to break 100 and are looking to make the game harder?

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1318911376' post='3686759']
New Gen-

The post got deleted, but I've come to realize from some of your posts, that you are very local to me. Local as in, I have a membership to your club.

I have a driver for cheap if you need one, and are indeed a 15 year old kid.
[/quote]

It's a small world, and I would've taken you up on it but I made a deal with a guy for a G15 I just have to wait to get paid to buy it, he's holding it for me. Thanks though. I wasn't mad I just get frustrated here, I took my blades out of my bag, I can still hit them all day, but I guess I'm not allowed to say I wouldn't reccomend them, then use them. I have Ping S58's now. They might get the spot.

I'm not trying to fight over anything with you guys because I know you guys have a lot more experiences in golf than me. But in my mind swing better and consistent, hitting the sweet spot more often, is the only way to know I actually improved. Of course lowering the score is the goal, but what I really don't want to happen is when I become mid-capper in a couple years time and yet I've realized I can't hit sweet spot because I never work on such technique because SGI helped me big time on these already...

Maybe I'm being unrealistic here though...

btw, I went to the local store and try out more. With what other people suggested here, I tried MP-59, MP-53, TM CB, Scratch AR-1, Adams CB2. In comparison I also tried MP-69, TM MB, and Scratch SB-1. I did the blind test (mostly because they really cover up a lot of head area by the tape and shafts are all S300. Even though grip is different by different manufacturer, but I can't tell if it's CB or blade). After about 15~20 shots on each irons, I ask them to un-tape the top four I really like. These four has about 5 yards in differences depending on the launch angel, but pretty consistent. It's the TM MB, MP-69, Scratch AR-1, and Adams CB2. After I know which is which, I've realized that the reason I won't like Scratch SB-1 is because the head is smaller than the other two blades. I grew less confidence in it, but it feels so soft when it hits the sweet spot. I do like that feel and hope that if I become a better golfer, swing more consistence, I'll probably get one of that. But I can see the reason why I don't want to use that now.

Even so, I know artificial mats are still different than on the real course. But since it's getting cold, I won't have chance to go to any demo day on the real course until next year in spring. So maybe I should wait still.

I did think about getting the second hand, but my swing speed on iron is about 75~80mph. Almost all the second hand irons in blades are in stiff or extra stiff. The sales person at the store said I'd probably looking into PX5.0. (because I really like PX6.0 flighted, I got to about 87mph with that and average out at 82~83mph, faster than the rest of S300 which is about high 70s to 80mph). So I may ends up buying whatever I feel comfortable on demo days next year, regardless of GI or blade, just because of the shaft...

I would think the lower your handicap gets, the more consistent your hits are. I don't think a SGI or a GI iron will hinder your technique. It'll just make your miss hits less damaging to your score which in turn will keep you from getting frustrated with the sport. Its all about fun in the end. You'll still be able to tell whether your hitting center or not with either iron.

[quote name='snowmen10' timestamp='1318975551' post='3690075']
I'm not trying to fight over anything with you guys because I know you guys have a lot more experiences in golf than me. But in my mind swing better and consistent, hitting the sweet spot more often, is the only way to know I actually improved. Of course lowering the score is the goal, but what I really don't want to happen is when I become mid-capper in a couple years time and yet I've realized I can't hit sweet spot because I never work on such technique because SGI helped me big time on these already...

Maybe I'm being unrealistic here though...

btw, I went to the local store and try out more. With what other people suggested here, I tried MP-59, MP-53, TM CB, Scratch AR-1, Adams CB2. In comparison I also tried MP-69, TM MB, and Scratch SB-1. I did the blind test (mostly because they really cover up a lot of head area by the tape and shafts are all S300. Even though grip is different by different manufacturer, but I can't tell if it's CB or blade). After about 15~20 shots on each irons, I ask them to un-tape the top four I really like. These four has about 5 yards in differences depending on the launch angel, but pretty consistent. It's the TM MB, MP-69, Scratch AR-1, and Adams CB2. After I know which is which, I've realized that the reason I won't like Scratch SB-1 is because the head is smaller than the other two blades. I grew less confidence in it, but it feels so soft when it hits the sweet spot. I do like that feel and hope that if I become a better golfer, swing more consistence, I'll probably get one of that. But I can see the reason why I don't want to use that now.

Even so, I know artificial mats are still different than on the real course. But since it's getting cold, I won't have chance to go to any demo day on the real course until next year in spring. So maybe I should wait still.

I did think about getting the second hand, but my swing speed on iron is about 75~80mph. Almost all the second hand irons in blades are in stiff or extra stiff. The sales person at the store said I'd probably looking into PX5.0. (because I really like PX6.0 flighted, I got to about 87mph with that and average out at 82~83mph, faster than the rest of S300 which is about high 70s to 80mph). So I may ends up buying whatever I feel comfortable on demo days next year, regardless of GI or blade, just because of the shaft...
[/quote]

My suggestion is in stead of getting a brand new set, figure out what you like an buy a used set from the BST here or from the bay. Maybe a players cavity, or whatever suits your eye. With the money you save, buy a junky set of blades from the BST or the bay (same shafts), then get them bent/fitted, and take them to the driving range to practice with. IF you are serious, which is sounds like you are, practicing with something that will make you concentrate cannot hurt you. I think the people on here forgot that 30 years ago, all there were were blades. Since GI or SGI scores in general have not come down. I applaud your ambition and I suspect that with your desire, you will be striping a set of blades as your gamers in the coming years.

I don't see anything wrong with starting with blades... give Mizuno's a try!

Most people started with blades since that was all there was until relatively recently.

Snowmen10 the Hogan Apex 1999 are probably the easiest and smoothest blades I've played with till I bought my current set. Easier than some of the supposed Gi irons I've tried. If you want something to hide your flaws by all means buy a GI iron. Frustration with blades will happen and probably won't lead to better scores but with effort they may lead to a better swing in time.

Good luck with whatever you decide and hopefully the white stuff won't stick around too long. drinks.gif

Snufles

I guess I'm just baffled that you play with 1 iron, and a GI one at that, and don't score well.. obviously because of the lack of choices, but that your trying to convince other people that you should get one or the other.

Spend what you want, and play what you want. If you enjoy a challenge and can't hit the ball well, by all means get something harder to hit if you like the rewards to be sparse.

I don't understand this question and it seems to come up a lot. To anyone who cares to respond to this keep in mind that this is a two part answer, so please don't respond to one part and ignore the other.

guys who "should" play blades hit the sweet spot all the time, this covers a very small segment of the golfing population. if you do not hit the sweet spot all the time, you should not play blades. I have no idea where the argument that "a harder to hit club will make you hit the ball better", if you feel this way more power to you, but in my mind all a harder to hit club will do for a bad ballstriker is make their misses worse, and in a lot of cases that means unplayable misses. Before someone flames me because they don't think anyone hits the sweet spot "all the time", trust me, good players (scratch or better) for the most part hit the middle of the club face all the time, if they don't it's 99% of the time. they miss shots because the clubface is more open or closed than they intended, or they catch it slightly thin or heavy, not because they clank it off the toe on a regular basis.

that being said, if you do not hit the sweet spot all the time and playing blades makes the game more fun for you then go for it! you're not going to hurt anyone by doing it, and there are no rules saying that you have to play at a certain level to play a certain club, and i'm certainly not going to think less of you if you shoot 90 and like playing blades.

[quote name='snowmen10' timestamp='1318889478' post='3684869']Are there any beginners starting with blades when they also have a choice to select game improvement iron, but select blades still? Is it really hard to play on the course for 30+ handicap? Do you regret your choice?
[/quote]

I learned on blades but that's because that's what I was given.

I'd recommend grabbing a set of GI irons for a new player or someone with a mid to high handicap. Heck - even low handicap players are going to GI these days - if you want a good read on GI irons search for the thread posted on the G15s by a low handicapper who switched over.

These days the choices for GI clubs seem almost limitless. You can get GI clubs with thin top lines, no/low offsets, etc. etc. So whatever you're looking for you can probably find a GI club that you'll love.

That being said, if you are set on going the blade route, go for it. They're fun to play and you can always buy a set of GI clubs next year.:diablo:

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1318979223' post='3690331']
I guess I'm just baffled that you play with 1 iron, and a GI one at that, and don't score well.. obviously because of the lack of choices, but that your trying to convince other people that you should get one or the other.

Spend what you want, and play what you want. If you enjoy a challenge and can't hit the ball well, by all means get something harder to hit if you like the rewards to be sparse.
[/quote]

I'm not really trying to convince anybody. It's just I don't have the money to buy two sets to go to the course to compare it, and nobody is doing course demo in this weather so I really have no idea how bad it can be on the real grass. On artificial mat, my GI perform about the same as blade. That's why I have this question. Is blade really that bad on real grass?

Also, I certainly don't feel my X-22 tour has same forgiveness as FT or AP1. For me it feels more like AP2, but I may be wrong. Because again, I didn't bring FT/AP1 to the course to try it out, so maybe I'll hit pretty bad with FT/AP1 and found out what I really need now is SGI lol (But I did bring my X-22 tour to artificial mat. That's why I think the forgiveness is more like AP2 than AP1.)

[quote name='NewGeneration' timestamp='1318895135' post='3685407']
[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1318893250' post='3685201']
[quote name='NewGeneration' timestamp='1318891520' post='3685057']
It was a joke, don't get blades, trust me, I'm a 30ish and use them if you want a nice forged feeling iron, get a players forged cavity, examples: MP-53, MP-62, MP-59, MP-57. Any of those above will be good, and there is nothing you will desire in a blade you will not have with those. If there is you are lying. I advise MP-53's, with a shaft that fits, like KBS tour, S300, if that fits you, it is easy to get, and get fitted.
[/quote]

Did you just say you are a 30' cap and you play 68's?

Go buy whatever you want, if you like it, thats all that matters.
[/quote]

Yeah I got a deal on 'em and hit 'em pretty good. I figure if I'm hitting about as far as my buddies playing SGI's with blades, then I'm doing alright.

So, not I'm gonna ask you a question to fire you up, what was the point in your post aside from questioning a 15 year old, feel better now? Stroke that ego. Yeah, you weren't always good at golf and I doubt anyone said stuff about your bag, I'm not getting mad. Just
frustrated how people ALWAYS insult my blades on here.

A dont pozt every where its bugging me im a kid to but you post everywhere and b distance dosent say anything anyone can muscle a club to go farther and c chill out people say stuff because you start stuff stop the drama this isnt twitTer or facebook so growup and dont try to make us feel bad because we dont
[/quote]

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1318986114' post='3690767']
I don't understand this question and it seems to come up a lot. To anyone who cares to respond to this keep in mind that this is a two part answer, so please don't respond to one part and ignore the other.

guys who "should" play blades hit the sweet spot all the time, this covers a very small segment of the golfing population. if you do not hit the sweet spot all the time, you should not play blades. I have no idea where the argument that "a harder to hit club will make you hit the ball better", if you feel this way more power to you, but in my mind all a harder to hit club will do for a bad ballstriker is make their misses worse, and in a lot of cases that means unplayable misses. Before someone flames me because they don't think anyone hits the sweet spot "all the time", trust me, good players (scratch or better) for the most part hit the middle of the club face all the time, if they don't it's 99% of the time. they miss shots because the clubface is more open or closed than they intended, or they catch it slightly thin or heavy, not because they clank it off the toe on a regular basis.

that being said, if you do not hit the sweet spot all the time and playing blades makes the game more fun for you then go for it! you're not going to hurt anyone by doing it, and there are no rules saying that you have to play at a certain level to play a certain club, and i'm certainly not going to think less of you if you shoot 90 and like playing blades.
[/quote]

I agree and disagree (as a 12 HC). I began this season with MP68s because after several demos off grass I just plain hit them the best. I started a thread about playing them a whole season.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/454566-12-hc-gaming-blades-for-a-full-season-2011/page__p__3058103__fromsearch__1#entry3058103"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/454566-12-hc-gaming-blades-for-a-full-season-2011/page__p__3058103__fromsearch__1#entry3058103[/url]

I have since rotated between blades and G15s and even dabbled with MP53s. Guess what? Scores didn't change. What else? Ball marks are much more center of the face on the blades (smaller head) than the G15s too. Confidence level much higher. Have you "proven to yourself" that you need to be such a perfect ballstriker for blades? I have this past season. After going back in forth and keeping stats between sets, I'd say at MOST 2-3 shots difference between sets, however, this is well within error attributed by other parts of the game. Those 2-3 strokes could easily be a single bad drive or a 3 putt. Statistically insignficant! I have proven it to myself ON COURSE this year. Scoring is totally dependent (for me) on DRIVING, CHIPPING and PUTTING, not what irons are in the bag.

One thing that is greatly overlooked while basing a target iron on handicap only is the person's swing type. I am a sweeper and take little divot and the narrow soles allow me to catch the ball more cleanly. I don't feel like I can get under the ball as well with my G15s.

But to agree with your point, if your misses are on the toe, your mishits will be more severe. My miss is typically thin.

To the OP, I'd say that if you love the game, realize the [i][u]little[/u][/i] more work necessary for blades and they will not discourage you to quit, then by all means try them. I wish I would have tried them sooner that I did after playing for 20 yrs.

^^^ I agree with this post above. The first premise is flawed because it really depends on your approach to the game. If you are someone who if you are playing decent will not practice much then yes blades might motivate you to practice and really work on your mechanics pursue lessons etc. so that you can accurately use those blades. On the other hand if you arent going to be practicing a lot then blades would just make the game tough and frustrating. I am a consistently in the mid to to high 80's and I love the blades. When I hit them well cavity backs dont compare, but when I miss it, its ugly distance wise but still decent straight wise. Its definitely personal preference to a certain extent but the blades really do have a great feel when hitting well and i can get great shots out of them and it especially matches where you aim pretty well. <BR><BR>All that being said, I am really glad I started with cavity backs because if I had started with blades I probably wouldnt have loved the game as much because of my low golf skill level and frustration. I think for the most part starting with cavity backs is a great way to go to get more confident and develop your game and comfort on the course. Then, if you want to get more refined (this was and is how its working for me) and you are looking for more feedback then blades are great to move to. I already have seen my game improve a lot but mainly because I am practicing more and really working at it (practicing at least 3x per week) and striving to hit that sweet spot more often:) <BR><BR>Also, if you cant play for a while, I would recommend waiting a few months and see if you can get a discount or find a nice used set, especially on some of those newer models.

Golf is not measured by the number of strokes you take, but the ones You remember for the rest of your life. (vice versa)

For instance that one-timer 210 yds 5-iron over a pond an maybe another 250 yds "hyper-long" drive, that out-drove all others in the same flight.

Some enjoy the occational perfect shots, they manage to hit with lots of luck, and others are driven to practice to post low numbers. Either of these goals is not dependant on the clubs you play.

If you're happy with your bag, and ok with the feedback you get from fellow players, you're OK. But the minute some offensive comment on your clubs get's under your skin, you're miserable and loose the hint of skills you once had.

A friend of mine ask me what is the thing I enjoy "golf" while we went to play a bit today...

I said: "To hit the sweet spot on a club. It's the best thing next to hitting a maple bat at 85mph baseball on sweet spot."

I'm not on the money list. Getting closer to 72 certainly means nothing to me. Maybe I will like the feeling of a birdie or an eagle, because so far my best score is par. I had hit a few green in regulation and I blew it with putting because I'm actually very nervous or those are on the other side of the green... (usually short par 4 or par 3), so I'm not sure if the enjoyment of getting a birdie is greater than hitting a sweet spot, but for sure eagle will make me VERY VERY happy. I'll probably celebrate with firework for my first eagle lol

But I really don't see how SGI will help me to get eagle. My driving distance is about 220~240 yards, there is no way I can get on the green with one shot on short par 4 so my chance with par 4 eagle is gone. Even if I can drive it to the green it's not because of the SGI. As for par 5, my 3 irons with AT1 or FT on artificial mat is about 180 yards. It is very likely that if I only drive 220 yards, what I need is a 3 wood or hybrid to have that small chance to get on green in second shot. It seems to me the only way to get eagle is by wearing skirt, not by using SGI. russian_roulette.gif

But then again of course it's not fun scoring a +5 in one hole (usually happened with over 400 yard par 4 or over 500 yards par 5). Irons by all mean are still very important to keep it with less stroke. So I'm still open to GI (Just I don't think I'll get an SGI). If blade affects my play with less than +2 stroke on mis-hit next year when I demo it on course, I still don't mind getting it. But I'll be a happier golfer if I birdie on par 3 with blades to tee off than if I birdie with GI, that's for sure, as long as I don't get +3 on these par 3.