2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Playing Hickory Golf

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1437683382' post='12007832']
MacGregor Popular in both flanged and no flange are good. Any MacGregor flanged club is good. Marked Mac shafts are great shafts. I used to years ago buy any club model with marked Mac shaft to reuse in my clubs.
Build a set of 4-5 irons. Find a good Spoon or Brassie. Again deal with good people. You can ask me as well. Some people get woods from me at the end of year if I have good used club.
You will be surprised how you can build a set. Remember it won't be obsolete in a month or two
[/quote]

Sir,
Could these be converted to hickory?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MacGregor-Popular-35-Golf-Club-Iron-Set-reconditioned-/271917772926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4f8ff07e
Thanks,
Tim

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

[quote name='TimV' timestamp='1437694000' post='12008852']
Could these be converted to hickory?
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MacGregor-Popular-35-Golf-Club-Iron-Set-reconditioned-/271917772926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4f8ff07e"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f4f8ff07e[/url]
Thanks,
Tim
[/quote]

Nope. Per SoHG rules, no irons originally shafted in steel can be converted to wood shafts. Is it physically possible? Not really with these. Note the hosels on these irons, they taper as the hosel moves up toward the shaft. Wood replacements would have to be shaved so thin they would snap during play. There are original steel shafted irons manufactured prior to 1935 that do not have a taper like these MacG's you've found. But while they might be more suitable to throw wood shafts in, that's still tabu if you ever intend to play in sanctioned events. This is another topic entirely and I'm not touching that one ;)

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

Found these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400962927421?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
[color=#282828]I got nervous as they appeared to fit the criteria and I could afford them... and jumped. [/color]
[color=#282828]Hope I did ok. [/color]
[color=#282828]Any leads on articles I should read on repair and maintenance would be appreciated.[/color]
I look forward to beginning this journey abut with a bit of nervousness.
I ask humbly for you to share your knowledge with me.
I have time and some small ability as I have been doing basic club building and repair for over 10 years, but I have no experience with these.
[color=#282828]Thanks,[/color]
[color=#282828]Tim[/color]

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Well done for taking the plunge Tim !

A couple of those look ok to me, although you're a bit light on short irons. Many a good round has been played with just a Mashie though :)

There is a weath of knowledge in this thread regarding repair and maintenance - well worth a re-read from page 1 :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Ok so I bit the bullet and sent off my entry for the "10th Anniversary" World Hickory Open (which will of course be the 11th since they started in 2005 lol).

They've changed the categories this year, so handicaps 0-9 are playing for the Championship, and 10-18 are playing a "Stableford".

As a 13.6, I'm not overly thrilled about that, as it was nice to all be playing the same event, albeit with Gross and Net categories.

Over to me to try and drop my index 5 shots in the next 12 weeks I guess ... won't be easy as our Downs course is quite tough to score on, but I'll have a go. A couple of competition 76's (+5) would probably get me to 9.4 :)

I'm assuming the categories are based on steel handicap of course, though I should probably check that ! If it is 0-9 'hickory' then it will be steel up to 5, i.e. category 1 golfers only ... :)

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1437743973' post='12011610']
Ok so I bit the bullet and sent off my entry for the "10th Anniversary" World Hickory Open (which will of course be the 11th since they started in 2005 lol).

They've changed the categories this year, so handicaps 0-9 are playing for the Championship, and 10-18 are playing a "Stableford".

As a 13.6, I'm not overly thrilled about that, as it was nice to all be playing the same event, albeit with Gross and Net categories.

Over to me to try and drop my index 5 shots in the next 12 weeks I guess ... won't be easy as our Downs course is quite tough to score on, but I'll have a go :)
[/quote]

Keep shooting those 33's and it won't be long!

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

I would check with Lionel about handicaps. Lionel uses SoHG guidelines for equipment but I think he has his own ideas relating to hdcp. Lionel always gets some first time players. Check with him
Regarding clubs. I hate to see people throw money at clubs like this. There might be one or two possibles. They will need resetting the shafts, new grips. Refinish shafts and setting loft and importantly the lie.

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1437749051' post='12012108']
I would check with Lionel about handicaps. Lionel uses SoHG guidelines for equipment but I think he has his own ideas relating to hdcp. Lionel always gets some first time players. Check with him
[/quote]

Cheers Tad.

Last year he implemented the published BGCS adjustments for everyone who didn't have an official hickory handicap.

So 0-3 get 3 shots, 4-8 get 4 shots, 9-14 get 5 shots, 15-20 get 6 shots (except I think Lionel had a max of 18 anyway, so if you were higher then you were off 18 regardless). Professionals get nowt of course ... :)

I'm thinking about playing in the Michiana Hickory Open in South Bend. Has anyone played in it?

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1437750568' post='12012292']
[quote name='majic' timestamp='1437749051' post='12012108']
[/quote]

Cheers Tad.

Last year he implemented the published BGCS adjustments for everyone who didn't have an official hickory handicap.

So 0-3 get 3 shots, 4-8 get 4 shots, 9-14 get 5 shots, 15-20 get 6 shots (except I think Lionel had a max of 18 anyway, so if you were higher then you were off 18 regardless). Professionals get nowt of course ... :)
[/quote]That "club championship" set you have in your signature is classic within itself. Love MP-33s I wore a set of them out in fact they displaced my current Macgregors in 02 or so

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1437776392' post='12014780']
That "club championship" set you have in your signature is classic within itself. Love MP-33s I wore a set of them out in fact they displaced my current Macgregors in 02 or so
[/quote]

This is what I call my "modern" set :)

Super irons I agree !

Came home from my round today and my hickory clubs arrived just after I got out of the shower. Fast shipment as the seller wasn't far from here.
First impression is that I should be able to make all playable although some I can tell will be light. As this is my initial foray into hickory I don't care if I need to go heavy with the lead tape on some of these. I am thrilled to report that it doesn't appear that I will have to attempt to straighten any shafts. They seem to all be pretty straight. I will begin the process of renewing and refinishing the shafts, removing and epoxy and repining the heads and reworking the grips in the next couple days. I'm sure this will take some times as I'm not going to rush this and want to do as good a job as I am capable of. I will take pics after I have finished but I am thrilled at this point and very excited to try this out. I know I will need to add at least another club or two should this work out for me.
Wish me luck.
Thanks All!

[quote name='TimV' timestamp='1437857731' post='12018912']
Came home from my round today and my hickory clubs arrived just after I got out of the shower. Fast shipment as the seller wasn't far from here.
First impression is that I should be able to make all playable although some I can tell will be light. As this is my initial foray into hickory I don't care if I need to go heavy with the lead tape on some of these. I am thrilled to report that it doesn't appear that I will have to attempt to straighten any shafts. They seem to all be pretty straight. I will begin the process of renewing and refinishing the shafts, removing and epoxy and repining the heads and reworking the grips in the next couple days. I'm sure this will take some times as I'm not going to rush this and want to do as good a job as I am capable of. I will take pics after I have finished but I am thrilled at this point and very excited to try this out. I know I will need to add at least another club or two should this work out for me.
Wish me luck.
Thanks All!
[/quote]

Your process of induction into the hickory community is a well trodden path and it's great to see. Pretty well everyone started like this, so good luck and enjoy the triumphs and disasters in equal measure, have fun!

Good luck with the project, Tim and have fun!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well I love patina so I was a steel wool and 3-1 oil guy. I tried to keep the old look. Mask the wood so oil does not get on hickory. Some people use a wire brush??? I just did it by hand.
Knock out pin and reset the shaft with good epoxy and 1/8 aluminum rod for pin. If you want cool look cut a brass rod and file to size and glue in for pin.

Spalding released a copy of the original Chicopee putter way after 1935. The SoHG's stance is [b][i]"If the reproduced putter is modeled after a hickory putter made pre-1935 and the person playing the replica putter submits it for review, it most likely will be approved for play under our reproduction guidelines."[/i][/b]

So under that consideration the Chicopee repro would be legal. There are some putters that look very similar to the Spalding Deadline you've posted (namely the Mill's putters from Standard Golf in the UK). I think you might have a hard time however making a case that your putter was specifically modeled after the Mill's design. Seems a very cool throw back model, but not necessarily a reproduction per se. Tad's new putters for example seem very clear about the origins of their design (Chicopee, Dunn, Ambi model, etc). you could always submit and see what the rules guys say.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

Teevons (Tim)and I just pulled off a tag team small haul of authentic hickories on Saturday. He saw a Craigslist posting for a bag full of hickories at a Hollywood pawn shop and emailed me to see if I could go take a look since I was much closer (20 minute drive) than he. I did, and the whole lot was purchased for a very reasonable price. 13 hickory clubs which included a set of Walter Hagen irons and three woods that all have decent weights, and with Tim's skill will be made players, one of them hopefully for the bag of yours truly.

The Hagens will be brought to fine fettle with heads reset and grips reworked, or replaced, and shafts straightened. Look for them to maybe, possibly appear at a familiar site near you which I will not name, but starts with the 5th letter of the alphabet. For some of you who have been itching to get your hickory on, this would be an opportunity.

Here are the pics:

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few