2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Playing Hickory Golf

Wow, interesting set of golf clubs. I'd to see more pics of the set.

I've never seen flanged Spalding irons that were't part of the first J. Victor East design (made in a very short supply for one year only - 1930) then moved to the pyratone shafts that are very common. I believe the "A.G. Spalding" designation predates this, and the anvil would designate the factory in Dysart, Fife. I've never seen a reference to wedge this early, a head scratcher for sure.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

The fact that it is rustless, and the width of the sole flange would date it to very late in the hickory

era I would think (forgetting about the wedge stamp) Have you taken the shaft off? I'm wondering

if its not a retrofitted club..... Does the head style match the rest of the set?

Would be nice to see pics of the hosel, what is the measurement of the hosel at the shaft?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Golf-Clubs-Iron-Hickory-Shaft-Spalding-Bros-Mashie-Wedge-Pitching-4/192426884291?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Sorry, but it's not mine. The set and further photos are on UK Ebay.

It doesn't look to be a reshaft, the clubs in the set appear tp be integral to it.

I genuinely don't know what it is. Never seen one like it.

https://www.ebay.co....119.m1438.l2649

Sorry, but it's not mine. The set and further photos are on UK Ebay.

It doesn't look to be a reshaft, the clubs in the set appear tp be integral to it.

I genuinely don't know what it is. Never seen one like it.

Maybe Jiggered is right it got stamped Wedge after the fact at some point......

Its hard to believe a club was called a Wedge in the early 1930s but I guess

its possible.

Future research project.........

My guess is these were very late in the hickory era, late 20's to early 30's. Many of the clubs this time were starting to follow the flange design. Could be these were short run Spaldings meant for UK professional players still forced to play hickory by the R&A or for hickory hold outs who were not yet keen on steel. Certainly made to be a set, and good lines, with a surprisingly modern look. The 4 iron has a large stamp, and is underlined (uncommon), yet the other clubs use older naming convention (mashie and pitcher).

No mention of this model in the Furjanic book. I don't have Kaplan's book on Spalding catalogs....maybe they're referenced there.

• [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

• 3 weeks later...

Hickory golf got a mention on the TV coverage of the event in Perth this evening. Hideto Tanihara apparently uses a "10 iron," which led to this exchange:

"A 10 iron, Allie?"

"I thought you'd like that, Kate."

"I like that a lot! I've never seen one of those before."

"Nor had I! Imagine the caddie's signal."

[chuckles]

"Going back in time...wedges were stamped with a '10' depending on who the manufacturer was."

"Go with your persimmon woods, Warren Smith."

"Oorrrhh...boy, they are beauties!"

"Yes, Warren, you're entering the Hickory Championships?"

"Once again this year. Want to know more about it, go to the Australian Golf Heritage Society. Google that on your Google machine, and check it out. Grab some hickory clubs and come and have some fun."

So I checked out their website. The Australian Hickory Shaft Championship was held at the end of September in 2017, and you can even find a nice picture of Warren Smith on their website:

Small_IMG_4209.JPG

I do seem to remember seeing some old MacGregor blades marked with a 10.

Great group of hickory players down under. I met several that the US Hickory Open this year. Some of the guys are putting a huge effort into to buying and restoring play clubs to spread the hickory word, they even have a junior program.

I played with Warren Smith at this years Australian championship. He is a tall elegant swinger who consistently shoots low 80s in hickory golf.

He is a great advocate for Hickory golf and his media profile helps our game.

Last year we played on a coastal links course Long Reef GC and attracted some new PGA members to the game.

The game is growing here downunder.

I played with Warren Smith at this years Australian championship. He is a tall elegant swinger who consistently shoots low 80s in hickory golf.

Last year we played on a coastal links course Long Reef GC and attracted some new PGA members to the game.

Wow - I see you're now a two-time Aussie champion Darron - well done mate ! What did you shoot for the latest one ? New WITB as well ?

Say "Hi" to Lachie for me please :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

What model is that putter, very cool looking head with the square neck

Thanks Bella. Should be a wonderful event.

I think we're both in there to get our pros a few shots to play with on the handicap foursomes match ups LOL. Very strong side Paolo and Claus have put together, and almost embarrassing as a mid handicapper to be a part of it if I am honest ! I'm hoping for a competitive match as it was all a bit one sided last time out in Florida. I think I was in the only European pair to score a point on Day Two at Mission Inn ... we got battered 7-1 that day :)

Hoping for a European win this time ... (USA leads this series 2-0) ...

Strong line up from the USA this time out as well, including hollabachgt, who no doubt will have them all well prepared on the course layout, as he did at Monifieth ! Nice to see dad Joe in the team as well. I had an excellent match alongside Joe Smith against Joe and Cliff Martin at Monifieth Ashludie in 2014. Good memories ... :)

This is super cool - go get 'em Blade Junkie! Euro side is stacked with pro talent, should be some exceptional play. I've seen the teams, but is there a website that will capture some daily updates and photos? I'd love to follow along and watch the progress of the tournament.

As a side note, I've been competing in Ryder style tournaments here on the West coast. We have an annual CA vs OR/WA and CA vs AZ. Match play team events are such a fun format, and quite different from the standard "beat the field events".

Congrats to Blade Junkie and stixman for being named to the European side for

the 2018 Freedman Cup matches in Italy........

Well done on getting picked chaps!

I see that Jason is also going, you should all have a fantastic time, long write-ups required afterwards!

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Well done on getting picked chaps!

I see that Jason is also going, you should all have a fantastic time, long write-ups required afterwards!

Cheers Nick. We're actually all staying in the same Italian B&B very close to the course, and which used to be the home of the Italian opera composer Giuseppe Verdi, whose piano is still there in the "music room" !

The course location isn't too shabby ... here is a pic I found online :

This is super cool - go get 'em Blade Junkie! Euro side is stacked with pro talent, should be some exceptional play. I've seen the teams, but is there a website that will capture some daily updates and photos? I'd love to follow along and watch the progress of the tournament.

As a side note, I've been competing in Ryder style tournaments here on the West coast. We have an annual CA vs OR/WA and CA vs AZ. Match play team events are such a fun format, and quite different from the standard "beat the field events".

Cheers Erik ! Shouldn't you be rooting for Team USA though LOL.

I imagine there will be lots of coverage on social media such as facebook and Instagram.

Here's a few pics from previous events : http://www.socimage.com/user/freedmantrophy/6725166467

As Geoff pointed out, one of the best places to follow along will be through the @freedmantrophy Instagram feed and there will be daily write ups on the SoHG website.

Cheers Erik ! Shouldn't you be rooting for Team USA though LOL.

I imagine there will be lots of coverage on social media such as facebook and Instagram.

Here's a few pics from previous events : http://www.socimage.com/user/freedmantrophy/6725166467

Well done Geoff, fantastic to hear, where is it being played? I see Rocca is playing for Europe, certainly provide some entertainment.

Good luck and HB