Playing Hickory Golf

Here is a bit of a find for those visiting and playing golf in and around Edinburgh,

Drummohr is open all year round and has a variety of different sized lodges. I supplied the hickories for the Musselburgh Challenge this weekend and nights cost me £47 booke on line.

Gullane, Kilspindie, N. Berwick etc just a short hop down the road.

www.Drummohr.org

Another plug alert..... Who won the Musselburgh Challenge this year? It was the R&A team from St Andrews represented by James Bunch (Son of the guy who used to run Swilken Golf) and a certain Sandy Lyle, Open Champion and playing Tad Moore hickories !!

#thehickorygrail #machrihanish #hickorygolf #whyilovethisgame #golf @ Machrihanish Golf Club

Almost un-noticed on these pages was the biennial Hickory Grail match which took place this week between USA and Europe, the venue the iconic and bucket list Macrihanish GC.

Played with original hickory clubs conforming to SoHG rules the outcome was a sweeping win for the European side by 17 1/2 to 6 1/2.

Well played all, and when everyone's breath is regained I'm sure a more detailed account will appear, complete with grinning photos, from our own on site correspondent and player, Blade Junkie

I had a week off to go and play in that, plus the Scottish Hickory Championship, and all I can say is "Wow" ... best thing I have ever done in golf, and if you are into hickory golf, I would seriously try and do whatever it takes to get selected for whichever is your side. Almost worth selling a kidney !

The format was first morning foursomes, then afternoon fourballs, followed by singles on the second day.

The venue was the Championship course at Machrihanish, which, if you haven't played it, should be an essential for the bucket list. A classic links course with beautiful views and an opening tee shot to really get the juices running.

Will write more later, when I have more time and have tracked down some suitable pics and video :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Ok...the US Open, I'll be the first to weigh in.

Great event, superbly run by Rob Ahlschwede and his people. Del Monte is an ideal course for hickory, beautifully maintained featuring small tricky greens and lots of bunkers. The course demands pinpoint accuracy with your irons, the greens were difficult, tiered with plenty of slope and fast as Usain Bolt. One needed steady hands and great touch to post any sort of score. Scores were on the high side with Nico and Cliff tying at 156 (I think that's right). The playoff was won, appropriately enough, I suppose, with a 3 putt. The two combatants started on 17, a par five for the playoff. They both were on in regulation but Cliff three jacked a testy 30 foot downhill slider and Nico two putted from 20 feet and that was that.

Yours truly was very happy with his ball striking, I was solid, especially off the tee for both days, but on the green was another mattter entirely. My experience can be summed up by this description of my first hole on Tuesday's round one. We started (shotgun start) on number 12, a 140ish yard well bunkered three par with a down sloping green back to front with tons of break towards the ocean. My playing companions went first and missed the surface right, left and short. "There's a green there somewhere" I thought to my self, and gripped down on a mashie and hit a nice little cut that landed on the left side of the green and rolled encouragingly right towards the hole, taking the left to right slope right past the hole coming to rest twenty feet right of the hole just in the fringe. The hole was positioned on a crown on the back of the green. My putt was slightly uphill with a severe right to left break. Just two putt it, I thought. My first effort got about four feet from the jar and then died like cowardly effort that it was, and took nearly a u turn and I watched astonished as it rolled down the crown in an increasingly rapid rate leaving me nearly as long a putt as I had with my initial effort. I tried again, but like Cysiphus the sphere didn't make the crest and rolled back a bit. My third effort was a terrified stab that reached the hole but ended up wide to the right. Tap in for a sweet four putt 5. Standing on the tee watching my tee ball come to rest I was envisioning starting out with a two, but I had no idea then, that while I had hit a lovely golf shot, a semi chunked floater 30 feet short of the green would have been a far easier play for par. This is the key to Del Monte. Leaving your iron shot in a two puttable location is much preferred than trying to knock it stiff. My putting did me no favors after that debacle, with a load of three putts and one more horrendous four putt to come. A shame too because my ball striking was solid, center of the club face, on most swings. I carded 89,89 and was vastly disappointed. 40 putts the first round, didn't count the second round because the knowledge would have only added to my muddled state of mind on the greens.

"Other then that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Great tournament, wonderful people, location top notch, fabulous weather (mid to high 60's) all in all a great time. Very glad I went.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

On a very sad note my good friend and the person who got me playing hickory clubs ,Jack Wilson is on the last part of life's journey.

Jack is a one of a kind man, very funny, incredibly intelligent and heart is huge.

I met him through craigslist in Seattle when he was selling some M85 woods and other Macgregors. That visit began a many years of trading and playing golf and listening to him tell stories about golf.

I cant tell you how many times we played golf together with him pleading for me to try hickory golf. I was obsessed with classic clubs and told him I don't need another obsession. I finally relented and played with him and Rob, (The Swede) with a mixed set of hickory clubs I had acquired, really poor shape but it was a real fun time and got the bug to play hickory.

I would find hickory clubs and trade them with Jack for classics, that went on for 10 years

Going to each others garages and spending hours shooting the bull and haggling over prices was some of the best times I have ever had in my life

Thanks Jack!!

I have included a link for go fund me as they have a large medical expenses to take care of

https://www.gofundme...ks-medical-fund

I only know Jack from playing the last few years at Gearhart and hanging out w/ him drinkin' and mostly just listening to his hickory tales and his extensive club knowledge. It's been for the most part a one way discussion; one though, that I very much have enjoyed! Thank you Jack. :drinks:

John, sorry to hear you had to start on #12 and face that green as your first hole to putt on. Definitely the most severe green on the course. Shotgun starts sure aren't very fair in that regard. Maybe the guys that had to start on #6 and then face the double whammy #7 (hardest part of the course IMO) might have had it worse. Holes 6,7,16, and 18 are tough ones! But I thought the superintendent went pretty easy on the pins and greens. #3, #7, #12 (1st day) and 18 are just what they are.

I got to play with the 4 time champion Jeremy Moe and this year's champion Niko on day 1 and that was a blast to watch their ball striking. Both were super guys and a pleasure to meet and hang out with afterwards.

For my excuse (everyone has to have one right!) I hurt my back in April and just haven't recovered. My brain just won't let my body do what it's supposed to do just before impact. Dunno when I'll have the chance to play in another USHO and a little frustrated in the timing of health issues and age catching up! Oh well! :)

Btw, our group hosts a tournament at Del Monte every year in September. This will be our 4th year (maybe you saw our snazzy trophy on the Del Monte Grille's wall?).

The course has always given us a local NorCal rate of $48. We start around noon (5.5 hour drive from SoCal). :) Just putting it out there if you want a little redemption with the course. The rough is also nonexistent in Sept. Refer to our website for more info: www.norcalhickory.com

Steve H
Golf, surfing, and sandwiches!

Tad and Bella at the Monterey Peninsula Country Club (Dunes course where they used to have the Bing Crosby

Clambake in the old days) playing hickories on the Thursday after the 2017 U.S. Hickory Open.

The old clubmaker shot an 83 that day (Bella shot 87)........

Met a young guy named Luke on the driving day earlier practicing (has aspirations of being a pro golfer) - 126 MPH

driver swing speed. He hit both my hickory driver and my hickory Jigger, hammered them both. Driver in the 260 to 270

range almost all in the air, Jigger 200 on the fly and roll out on hard pan 230 to 240.....

Great way to finish up the California golf trip, BTW, "borrowed" Tad's new Walter Hagen wedge out of his bag for all my

sand shots and it's a great club, all of the shots were pretty decent if I may say so myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Bella came into town last weekend and encouraged me to get my hickories out of the closet. We played the course that was the site of the 1912 US Open; it is now a muni, and has been shortened and changed. But some of the changes that were made by Donald Ross in the 1920's are improvements, such as the Redan 17th hole.

Weather was windy, 68*, with rain off and on. A good old fashioned hickory day. Neither of us distinguished ourselves through scoring, but the day was lots of fun. We had the course, which was very soft and sopping wet in places, pretty much to ourselves. Confession: I was using a modern 3-wood off the tee, and even so afterward my back was toast. I walked and carried 8 clubs. Bella carried most of his. It's getting tough on the back to swing woodies, but it was a lot of fun.

thanks, Bella.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Bella came into town last weekend and encouraged me to get my hickories out of the closet. We played the course that was the site of the 1912 US Open; it is now a muni, and has been shortened and changed. But some of the changes that were made by Donald Ross in the 1920's are improvements, such as the Redan 17th hole.

Weather was windy, 68*, with rain off and on. A good old fashioned hickory day. Neither of us distinguished ourselves through scoring, but the day was lots of fun. We had the course, which was very soft and sopping wet in places, pretty much to ourselves. Confession: I was using a modern 3-wood off the tee, and even so afterward my back was toast. I walked and carried 8 clubs. Bella carried most of his. It's getting tough on the back to swing woodies, but it was a lot of fun.

thanks, Bella.

Had a very good time Greg, hope we can do it again.......

#thehickorygrail #machrihanish #hickorygolf #whyilovethisgame #golf @ Machrihanish Golf Club

Almost un-noticed on these pages was the biennial Hickory Grail match which took place this week between USA and Europe, the venue the iconic and bucket list Macrihanish GC.

Played with original hickory clubs conforming to SoHG rules the outcome was a sweeping win for the European side by 17 1/2 to 6 1/2.

Well played all, and when everyone's breath is regained I'm sure a more detailed account will appear, complete with grinning photos, from our own on site correspondent and player, Blade Junkie

I want to say as a past and founding member of the BGCS USA team that the timing of the event could not have been more terrible for the USA side. Our Country celebrates the 4th of July as our most important Holiday. The SoHG greatest tournament our U S Hickory Open starts this Monday. I love the venue as i have played Machrihanish may times. The BGCS Grail captain did not pick a good date for the USA side. It's over but I ask Why??

Chris i hope you can come in 2 years to the event here.

The players I know had a great time. The Cambletown/Machrihanish is wonderful. I just wish the time picked had been different.

My understanding from the Europe organiser is that 3 dates were offered. The US contingent chose accordingly.

I was going to ask for advice on fixing a split shaft, but it seems I can get it professionally fixed in the next few days around Seattle. But out of curiosity, is this split shaft something that can be fixed easily? I'm pretty handy in a shop, I was thinking I'd fill the crack with wood glue as well as I could, clamp it, wipe off the excess, and wait a few days. Probably add whipping on the shaft to strengthen it. Is there a better way, or is replacement a better option?

You're spot on Boney, quality wood glue like Titebond will do the trick. I put the shaft in a vise and twist real hard to expose the split as much as possible and ensure the glue fills the entire crack. Clamp and allow to dry (clamped) for 24hrs, then whip for added strength. This will make that shaft perfectly playable for a long time.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

• 4 weeks later...

I need help identifying this club that belongs to the superintendent at the course I work at. He wants to clean it up, regrip it and use it as a display piece.

The image is a bit tough to see due to the rust and pitting, but it is a putter known as The Thistle. There are scoring lines on the face and a couple of cleek marks on the back: a lion on the left and a crown to the right of the name.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You're spot on Boney, quality wood glue like Titebond will do the trick. I put the shaft in a vise and twist real hard to expose the split as much as possible and ensure the glue fills the entire crack. Clamp and allow to dry (clamped) for 24hrs, then whip for added strength. This will make that shaft perfectly playable for a long time.

I would temper the advice with a cautionary note.

There is always a reason why a shaft splits. Sometimes it's carelessness where the owner has played the club without whipping present on the hosel or loose whipping. The owner may have played a ball with too high a compression. In these cases, see above.

Or the shaft may just plain knackered; in which case the only solution is a replacement.

From the photos the club appears to have been heavily refurbed, looks lovely but it would raise a questionmark in my suspicious/ paranoid mind.

I need help identifying this club that belongs to the superintendent at the course I work at. He wants to clean it up, regrip it and use it as a display piece.

The image is a bit tough to see due to the rust and pitting, but it is a putter known as The Thistle. There are scoring lines on the face and a couple of cleek marks on the back: a lion on the left and a crown to the right of the name.

Soak it in vinegar to clean off rust-overnight and it will make a nice wall hanger

I would temper the advice with a cautionary note.

There is always a reason why a shaft splits. Sometimes it's carelessness where the owner has played the club without whipping present on the hosel or loose whipping. The owner may have played a ball with too high a compression. In these cases, see above.

Or the shaft may just plain knackered; in which case the only solution is a replacement.

From the photos the club appears to have been heavily refurbed, looks lovely but it would raise a questionmark in my suspicious/ paranoid mind.

Six I agree. Looks like a torque fracture of old shaft. It is possible to glue up.

I need help identifying this club ... but it is a putter known as The Thistle.

There are scoring lines on the face and a couple of cleek marks on the back: a lion on the left and a crown to the right of the name.

I'm no expert at all, but just for a start ...

the Olmans (Encyclopedia of Golf Collectibles, 1985) attribute the Rampant Lion to B.G.I. Co. (Bridgeport Gun Implement)

one of the first american companies making golf clubs, but they stopped selling clubs in 1906 -

the crown is a Burke Golf Co. mark, founded in 1910 (they had a thistle mark also) -

apart from Burke, the Rampant Lion was used by MacGregor, Wright & Ditson and Charles Brand

so hopefully those in the know fill in more infos

kind regards

I need help identifying this club ... but it is a putter known as The Thistle.

There are scoring lines on the face and a couple of cleek marks on the back: a lion on the left and a crown to the right of the name.

I'm no expert at all, but just for a start ...

the Olmans (Encyclopedia of Golf Collectibles, 1985) attribute the Rampant Lion to B.G.I. Co. (Bridgeport Gun Implement)

one of the first american companies making golf clubs, but they stopped selling clubs in 1906 -

the crown is a Burke Golf Co. mark, founded in 1910 (they had a thistle mark also) -

apart from Burke, the Rampant Lion was used by MacGregor, Wright & Ditson and Charles Brand

so hopefully those in the know fill in more infos

kind regards

Thanks for the info. We were looking at the club and talking about it again today. There is no manufacturer's stamp on the head, just the cleek marks so any of the mentioned manufacturers could have made this club.

The shaft is warped, so I think that it will be a winter project for a display item. Put it on a clinometer and I got a loft reading of 7.8° + or - of loft. I suspect that would be typical for putters of the early 1900's vintage to deal with the green conditions of that era.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Lion and Crown when split on heel and toe (particularly the way those are shaped) would indicate pretty strongly a Burke. Bend in putters (if a St. Andrews bend) can flatten the lie angle a bit and is often intentional and quite desirable. Nice looking putter, have fun with your winter project. I think you're correct on the loft angle thoughts. More loft also makes for good modern approach if you're a forward press kinda guy. Just look at Phil Mickelson, I've read he's used up to 7* on his putter (but I think he's backed down some now).

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

Lion and Crown when split on heel and toe (particularly the way those are shaped) would indicate pretty strongly a Burke. Bend in putters (if a St. Andrews bend) can flatten the lie angle a bit and is often intentional and quite desirable. Nice looking putter, have fun with your winter project. I think you're correct on the loft angle thoughts. More loft also makes for good modern approach if you're a forward press kinda guy. Just look at Phil Mickelson, I've read he's used up to 7* on his putter (but I think he's backed down some now).

Thanks ebeer! I will pass this along. I'll need to have another look at the club to check where the shaft bend is, but come to think of it the bend may well be of the St. Andrews variety.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Lion and Crown when split on heel and toe (particularly the way those are shaped) would indicate pretty strongly a Burke.

here is a clearer picture of these cleek marks

That's it almost exactly!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

It's amusing and ironic to be confronted with trademarks from yesteryear hijacked from a foreign country and used with the specific intent of gulling end users into believing their purchase is other than what it is.

It has been said many times on these pages 'there is nothing new in golf'.

Only the perpetrators have changed, as have the targets of ridicule.

Congrats to Steve Henneuse, Open Div. winner at the 2017 Gearhart Classic. Senior Div. winner was Jim Von Lossow, Statesman Div. winner was John Hoffert, and big shout out to Roberta Robbins the Women's winner. I missed the event this year but am hopeful for 2018. Gearhart is a great course and the Northwest Hickory gang knows how to host a wonderful event.

I have a question about the individuals in this picture... The gentleman with the white shirt and the bow tie looks like someone I used to teach with in Omaha, Nebraska. I believe he moved up to the Pacific Northwest when he retired. If this is the same Rob Ahlschwede from Omaha, please PM me!

The Washington State Golf Association has some special "Casual Golf Days," where WSGA members can play at otherwise private clubs. I just signed up to play the Everett Country Club, a bit north of Seattle, on Monday, October 9. It's a shotgun start at noon, and costs $95. I thought it'd be fun to have a hickory group or two play -- anyone up for it? I could email the organizer the names of players who want to play together. Let me know. It's a good opportunity to play an old, private course that was founded in 1910.

https://thewsga.org/...sual-golf-days/

• 1 month later...

Beautiful -- as always, Tad.

I get a LOT of people commenting about my putter and asking where I got it:

I've been using it for all of my rounds -- hickory or vintage -- since this year's Birmingham tourney.

Yesterday on the practice green there were a couple of college teams getting ready to play. One of the kids saw my putter and asked what it was and where I got it. As I was walking off the green I heard him telling one of his teammates about "Tad Moore from Selma, Alabama."

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend