2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Moving to Pittsburgh,PA! Looking to join a club!

Oilman83

Help!!
My wife and I are moving to Pittsburgh,PA early next year. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a country club to join. We will most likely be living around the Oakland/Squirrel Hill area. Also I would be willing to drive 15-20 minutes away. I would like to join a country club but if there are some good public courses please let me know those also.

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget the golf, "Younz guys gotta go dahntahn to the O fer some fries, en 'at."

I have played the Pgh Field Club and really liked it.
I have heard mixed reviews of Fox Chapel as a golf course, though the club house is great and I met Mr. Rogers at the pool there (this was 30+ yrs ago).
I also enjoyed the Sewickley Heights course, though it was VERY difficult by my estimation, and not too sure where it is to be honest.

If you live elsewhere, like south of town, I liked Nevillewood and St. Clair Country Club. I thought St. Clair was the better course, really a neat course that is open but tight at the same time if that makes sense. These aren't 20 minutes from Shady Side/ Oakland/ Squirrel Hill area though.

Lots of good golf in PGH, though I am by no means an expert on the area. Lots of clubs in the area, I would think it just depends on what you are looking for. Enjoy Steeltown. Probably the thing I miss most about PGH is the Pens. Dont know where you are moving from, but if you have never seen a live hockey game, you could do a lot worse than starting with Sid, Geno, and the Flower. We had season tix for Mario, Jagr and Coffey and no sport is better live than hockey. Probably will return next season to see the new Consol Center

It really depends on what you are looking for?? Fox Chapel is a really good track but most people miss The Longue Vue Club which hides in Verona PA. If you drive back and see the double archway club house and the very good golf course you will not be disappointed. It is full service with tennis, platform tennis, pool and is very family friendly. The Saturday and Sunday morning SWAT games are really strong. Give it a look online.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

There are no decent public courses inside the city limits , the closest cc to you in Sq Hill area would be ChurchHill CC or Edgewood both are going toward Monroeville maybe 15 minutes driving at most away , as mentioned off of rt 28 are Pittsburgh field club and Fox Chapel cc , both are exclusive and may have high fees to join ,as for public courses going east Meadowwink is about the closest , in the south hills Allegheny county runs a muni , it's inexpensive but hilly in spots and usually busy , depending on how far you want to drive in any direction there are both more cc and some public that are good , Quicksilver, Butler's , Pittsburgh National ,Birdsfoot, there are more but i am have a brain fart right now and having trouble remembering names but hopefully that gets you started

Check out Churchill. It's minutes away from Squirrel Hill and (like most smaller clubs) is on a membership recruiting drive so you can go cut a deal. Like most Western Pennsylvania golf courses, you're either going up/down or across a hill. They also have a greenskeeper these days that keeps the course in phenomenal shape. The only real gripe about Churchill would be the limited driving range, but I like to play instead of whack balls so it's never bothered me.

Churchill Golf Club

Edgewood is another nice older club. It's minutes away from Churchill so it's also close to your new home. Edgewood

I caddied at Longue Vue as a kid, I play it 3-4 times a year. It's another nice (but hilly) track. Back "in the day" it was fairly exclusive, now if you can write a check, you're in! It's about 25-30 minutes from Squirrel hill (depending on traffic of course) It's also one of the few tracks that has a skeet shooting range! Longue Vue

Those are probably the three closest clubs to you, there are many more within a few more minutes of your home. I suggest you start at Churchill, make some buddies, and find your way around.

Pittsburgh has lots of courses at all levels and prices of play, but even the "high" priced daily fee tracks are much more affordable than the rest of the planet.

Pittsburgh Golf

Welcome! I think you'll like "The Burgh". tt04.gif

X________________________________ Sign Here

Pittsburgh golf courses are in a world of hurt financially. Many public courses are losing money. Many mid-range country clubs have had to go public. Many good, solid country clubs are begging for members -- letting folks in without an initiation fee.

Take your time and get the full "lay of the land" before joining a club. It's a buyer's market, for sure.

[quote name='Oilman83' timestamp='1322850681' post='3881415']
[size="4"]My wife and I are moving to Pittsburgh,PA early next year. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a country club to join. We will most likely be living around the Oakland/Squirrel Hill area. Also I would be willing to drive 15-20 minutes away. I would like to join a country club but if there are some good public courses please let me know those also.

Thanks[/size]
[/quote]

i think edgewood is a very nice countryclub and way, way better than churhill
check out edgewoods website--nice course

Don't forget Grandview. It is a diamond in the rough. It is a tough course if you want to hit driver 14 times. But if you take your time and think it's great. Not to mention #14 is a 135yd par 3 that has to be a 100+ yard drop in elevation. From the black tees you can just see 1/5th of the green. Ever seen a ball bury itself in a green? It's always in great shape. For being in a crappy area they take very good care of that place. And you get a beautiful view of the Blast Furnace. :)

Ping G 9* - Oban Devotion
Wilson Staff D200 - Elements Chrome
Adams Speedline LP - Matrix Radix
Ping S55 5-PW - KBS Tour V
Ping Glide 50.56 - CFS
Seemore Si5

• 4 months later...

South pointe has been running specials, range resources , consol , etc are located there

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

• 4 weeks later...

Im not sure how old u are, but if u fall into the intermediate age range (under 38) the best club in the burgh is Sewickley Heights. they have a great young populations of golfers. Its worth checking out, I belonged there before I moved and if u are interested in playing a trial round i can get u in touch with some of my friends to get u out there to play.

[quote name='golfinainteasy' timestamp='1339308345' post='5060646']
Im not sure how old u are, but if u fall into the intermediate age range (under 38) the best club in the burgh is Sewickley Heights. they have a great young populations of golfers. Its worth checking out, I belonged there before I moved and if u are interested in playing a trial round i can get u in touch with some of my friends to get u out there to play.
[/quote][quote name='golfinainteasy' timestamp='1339308345' post='5060646']
[/quote]

Yes Sewickley CC is nice but probably one of the most expensive and exclusive also.. like some others for instance Field Club, Nevillewood, Fox Chapel ,Diamond Run ,yes they all are wonderful facilities but , i wonder how much is the bond just to start then yearly membership price and then required monthly fees for dinners,pro shop ect and i thought places like that you have to be invited for membership and a committee decides and that is before you ever hit a ball there .. correct ??