2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

FT-9 tour imix

Walfice

I have seen a good deal on this driver (£99) with a choice of voodoo, zcom 65, pl blue or red shafts. I currently play an adams fast 10 (9.5 wasabi shaft, ss 105) I hit this pretty well, launch monitor figures suggest i could do with a touch higher launch and a touch lower spin. My thoughts are to go with the pl red shaft. How does the ft9 compare to the fast 10 or the latest drivers?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play with a guy who went through 15 drivers this year. All new or recent offerings. I swiped this club from him and it kicked out my g10. He played a few drivers after that and bought another ft9 tour since I wouldn't give it back. Good club for me. Low spin and launches high or low. I swing around 110 and have the v2 pro force 67 gram stiff in it.

I just picked up a used one with the VooDoo SVS6 shaft on EBay for $50. I couldn't resist. I really like it too. It has a soft feel and it really wants to go dead straight. The one thing I did notice was that it launched pretty high relative to the loft. I only hit it on the range so far so I have no feel for what the distance will be but it seemed pretty solid.

truthfully i've played every callaway of the last 3-4 years with the exception of the Razr Hawk and they are all very similar since they went to the hyberbolic face. Kind of an understated sound but very forgiving across the face. I've hit some bombs with them that weren't exactly pured.

I used the FT9 tour for a full summer and loved it, but you have lots of options. The Octane Tour, Edge Tour, FT-IZ tour, FT tour....if you can get a good deal on any of them they perform similarly

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

+1 Yipsy

I bought a FT-9 Tour I-Mix 8.5 head only for me and an FT-IZ 10 degree with the Fubuki Tour 63 for for my son last night for a total of 75 bucks shipped. I am going to keep the Fubuki and get him something a little higher launching for his IZ.

Not to thread jack but i wanted to ask this question and it seems silly to start a new thread. Has anybody played the Fub 63 in the Ft-9 I-mix? Thoughts on ball flight, dispersion etc? Any other low spin Mid/high launch recommendations? Thanks

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1323020526' post='3889801']
+1 Yipsy

I bought a FT-9 Tour I-Mix 8.5 head only for me and an FT-IZ 10 degree with the Fubuki Tour 63 for for my son last night for a total of 75 bucks shipped. I am going to keep the Fubuki and get him something a little higher launching for his IZ.

Not to thread jack but i wanted to ask this question and it seems silly to start a new thread. Has anybody played the Fub 63 in the Ft-9 I-mix? Thoughts on ball flight, dispersion etc? Any other low spin Mid/high launch recommendations? Thanks
[/quote]

yes i own an FT9 tour Fubuki Tour 63. I hit it pretty high, but not balloon like. I'm still unsure of the Fubuki Tour shaft, it has a lot of kick...i owned an FT9 tour with a whiteboard aswell which i liked a lot better.

Interestingly enough, i actually felt like Mickelson when gaming the FT9/Fubuki. When i really got a hold of a drive i felt like superman, high ball flight and carried for miles. But when i missed one i felt like the shaft accentuated the miss a bit. Like it kicked it extra hard in the wrong direction. Like i said, i felt like Phil

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1323020779' post='3889823']
[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1323020526' post='3889801']
+1 Yipsy

[/quote]

yes i own an FT9 tour Fubuki Tour 63. I hit it pretty high, but not balloon like. I'm still unsure of the Fubuki Tour shaft, it has a lot of kick...i owned an FT9 tour with a whiteboard aswell which i liked a lot better.

Interestingly enough, i actually felt like Mickelson when gaming the FT9/Fubuki. When i really got a hold of a drive i felt like superman, high ball flight and carried for miles. But when i missed one i felt like the shaft accentuated the miss a bit. Like it kicked it extra hard in the wrong direction. Like i said, i felt like Phil
[/quote]

Well that actually sounds like what I might be looking for, save for the accentuate the miss part. I am nearly 6'5" with long arms I have a smooth transition and I generate club head speed with the width I create. I played a WB for a while and found I couldn't load it comfortably. I had decent results in distance and Disp, but I never felt comfortable, like I had to manipulate my swing and whack at the thing. And with the 8,5 head, i am not at all discouraged by hearing the Fubuki launches a little on the high side. Thanks very much for the quick response [s]Mr. Kent[/s] Er, [s]Phil,[/s] Uh....Jeff. :rolleyes:

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='Walfice' timestamp='1322953131' post='3886891']
I have seen a good deal on this driver (£99) with a choice of voodoo, zcom 65, pl blue or red shafts. I currently play an adams fast 10 (9.5 wasabi shaft, ss 105) I hit this pretty well, launch monitor figures suggest i could do with a touch higher launch and a touch lower spin. My thoughts are to go with the pl red shaft. How does the ft9 compare to the fast 10 or the latest drivers?
[/quote]
The PL red shaft is a pretty low launch shaft. If your aim is to get something higher launch, that may not be the shaft you need to be looking at.

[quote name='scooterush' timestamp='1322981377' post='3888599']
i owned a *9 ft9 with a zcom stock stiff at 44inches. sold that . tried 5 other drivers and ended up buying the ft9 imix with a reg flex fubuki made for shaft . swing speed between 110 and 113. awsome club and super forgiving off the toe.
[/quote]
How on earth do you control the regular flex made for Fubuki with that swing speed? Even the Stiff flex made for Fubuki is a noodle, that regular flex has to be about like having a water hose for a shaft.

I tried the Fubuki Tour in 63 stiff, 63 x-stiff, and 73 stiff. Didn't like any of them. They feel too loose to me. I liked the Whiteboard but like mentioned it got tiring to swing towards the end of the round. As far as a shaft recommendation for you, depends on your budget. If you don't mind spending a little extra, I find it hard to beat the Diamana Kai'li. I play the 70x kai'li in my FT-9 and love it. Mid launch with very low spin. On the cheaper end, I actually really liked the UST Axivcore Blue 69 stiff shaft. It is one of the cheapest I-Mix shafts but it performed great for me. High launch with mid-low spin. The Ozik X-con 6 might be worth looking at also. Watch ebay over the winter and you'll be able to turn one up cheap.

I concur on the Fubuki..... Good swing = WOW, bad swing = yecch! That could be said for most head/shaft combos, but I felt it more with the Fubuki. I also have the Kai'Li, and find it a much better shaft for my swing. Gives me the 'feel' I like, but holds up more firmly when I get a little quick or aggressive. YMMV.

Thanks for the input in the Fubuki, In addition to the Matrix Ozik, I am looking at a Rombax X 6X07, And the stand by VS Proto. Thanks again for your opinions. :good:

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I had a Blueboard in an 8.5* head and I loved it. Mid/high launch with quite a bit of roll out. Hit several right at or just passed 300 with this combo but then I sold the shaft. Terrible decision on my part but I just didn't like the sound of the head..

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I was thinking about a BB as well. Are they the real deal in both the 63 and 73 or is either a made for? I'm pretty sure they are real but I just want to make sure. Also on ebay it seems like I can get a LH driver with the shaft I want often cheaper than buying just the shaft. Based on the fact that on Callaway pre-owned they dont designate dexterity I am assuming that there is no LH/RH like in the R9/11? and they are all the same.Just want to confirm.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Ive been through the FT-9 im ix gamut

8.5 , 9.5, tour, draw, 10.5 etc....

i play the Fubuki 63 in a stiff.....and like previous posts....awesome when on....but OMG when your not....it can spray.

So i tried a Prolaunch AXIS Red.....and honestly it doesn't kick like the Fubuki......but it is much straighter on mishits.

also

the lighter swingweight of the FT-9 vs the FTIZ and RZR Hawk is somehting I like.

now to get a cross of the Fubuki and the Proloanch AXIS Red and I will be golden......except....for the Driver Fitting Im getting in the spring :partytime2:

Alright, It sounds like I'm letting the Kid keep the Fubuki and I will be shopping for myself. Thanks for all of the responses. OP thanks for posting this. You beat me to it by hours. Lots of awesome people on this board.

So who has feedback on the Rombax X607? (The yellow, not the Black W series)

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I had the Rombax 6x07 for a short while. It was a mid launch and mid spin shaft for me.I found it to be a very straight hitting shaft but really lacked in the distance department. I've always been a Mitsubishi fan. A blueboard would work nicely also. Keep an eye out for a X5ct version. Not the g4t version. Either the 63 or 73 would do the trick in the right flex. Keep watching Ebay. Now's the time to pick up some great deals over the winter.

• 3 months later...

Just got a Callaway I-mix FT-9 tour neutral 9.5 degree head .Put a stiff flex 63 Blueboard in it. Tried it for the first time today .This combination is freakin smooth !! Felt like it swung it self. Got a hold of a couple that went at least 285 . Hitting a used PRO V 1 X . It was a cool, windy, humid day so ball carry was some what limited today . I'm thinking I get 300 + with better weather conditions. Needless to say I was impressed with feel and tradjectory. This is the 5th driver Iv'e tried this year and by far the smoothes. It works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I played the Fubuki last year in my FT-9 tour, hit some great drives, but would hook them if I really went after it. I put a prolauch red axis in, lower ball flight and very straight, I don't really feel it load like the Fubuki, but it is a straight hitting machine.

Cobra Fly Z, Fubuki
Cobra Fly Z 3 wood
18 Cobra DWS
PING Rapture Hy 21
PING G series 5-pw
PING Glide 56
Odyssey Milled #9

• 2 months later...

I saw this thread and I had to chime in because I'm looking to " tinker 'with shafts too. My current setup is an FT-9 9 degree with a Blueboard 63s. This is a great setup but I'm looking at raising my ball flight a hair and looking for a bit more accuracy. Distance is not a problem with this club. I'm longer at 41 than I was at 21!! The shafts I'm looking at are these: Fubuki tour 63 ( probably in X flex ), Fujijura Motore Speeder VC 7.1, Rombax 6W06, and rombax 6X07. This is just by my own research. Any thought, comments, or recommendations

DR

XR16 pro Kiyoshi White 60S
XR16 pro 16 Speeder 765s
Cleveland Launcher 21 Rifle 6.0
<br />2013 X Forged PXi 6.0 4-pw<br />MD chrome 50, MD Chrome 54, MD2 Slate 58<br />Versa BWB #1 W 34"