2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Temeku

byronk

Other courses around Tececula
Im heading down for a week over Christmas to stay with my parents and want to play on the 22 and 23rd. I played Temeku years ago when it first opened but havent played since, is it still pretty nice? I've played both Menifee Lakes courses and like them. What other places are worth checking out in that aria? Thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to be there till after Xmas? I will be in temecula from the 25th til the 7th. They changed names now to the legends golf club. I heard the greens are amazing now but the course is still in the same ole shape. Fun course, Easy course. SCGA Murrieta changed to the golf club at rancho california. That course has gone down hill a lot under the new management. If you want to play a great track Get out to Cross creek in de luz. Up rancho cal over the mountain. Redhawk is still a great course.

Temeku was bought by the Professional Golfers Career College and is now called The Legends as previously mentioned. They have made the greens much much better but the course conditions are alot of the same. As always Journey at Pechanga is probably the best course in the area if not in the whole Inland Empire. Cross Creek has also improved their conditions and have heard its great. Redhawk is tough but always a good test of golf. Pala Mesa is also a really fun course to play. Have fun!

I went to the PGCC lol. Glad to see they bought a course but still need to work on some other skills first in MHO. I would say journey too but I have never played it.. I might this winter when I am there, I am not sure it is worth the 150 bucks. For that price it better be on par with PGA WEST, Pelican hills, Classic Club. It looks really good just need somebody I know play it and tell me lol.

Temeku Hills (now Legends) has new ownership and is much improved over how it used to be. JMHO, but still is not in as good as shape as when it first opened up many years ago. The best course in the area is Journey at Pechanga. They have a "couples rate" that can be any 2 golfers for 150-160ish. Not cheap but not outlandish either. Turf quality and conditions are 2nd to none but the layout is really a wild ride up and down the side of the mountain. Redhawk is hit/miss with conditions, but the whole course is surrounded by homes so you feel like you're playing is everyone's backyard, same as Legends. CrossCreek used to be stellar, but has really gone downhill. New ownership has tried to bring it back and they've cleaned it up somewhat, but it doesn't get alot of play because the back nine is really quirky and weird. The 'ol SCGA, now Rancho California had a tough time transfering ownership, but now that it's complete, the conditions there are pretty decent. The greens there are usually very, very good. This is where Rickie Fowler honed his game and although the course doesn't wow you visually, you'll hit every club in the bag and it's a great test of golf.

Driving a little further out you can get tee times at The Golf Club of California in Fallbrook on GolfNow.com. Really a nice place. Used to be private, now open to the public. Many TaylorMade folks play there. Arrowood in Oceanside is decent, nice layout and some interesting holes. One course if you want a different experience to try is The Links at Summerly in Lake Elsinore. A flat, undulating (ironic isn't it?) course that mimics a "links" experience with some hidden burns that run through and to the sides of about half the fairways there. Play it along the ground, bump n' run stuff that's a little different than your usual fare. Hope this helps...

I used to play a lot of golf with Rickie at SCGA (before he went to college). Last year when I played the golf club at rancho cal it was in the worst shape I had ever seen it. I was really disappointed. So is journey really worth it? If it is worth it I don't mind spending the money.

I loved loved loved-- golf club of California. Loved the layout, really loved the greens and also the par 3 with the bunker in the middle of the green. My buddy actually had to hit a flop over that bunker from the green haha. (no damage was ever incurred to the golf course, golf club, worms and flies that might of been affected by that shot) lololol

One year ago was probably SCGA's lowest point, really struggling thru the transitional ownership and the course went to hell. It's alot better now. You know when those greens are nice, they roll really well and are fast.

As far as the Journey, it's hard to quantify if it's worth it. The couples rate certainly makes it worth it, at least to me. The course gets little play so the turf quality is really good. The greens are exceptional, however, the last 2 winters have made the once perfect fairways now better than average, down from perfect. The layout is quite interesting. Really nice holes are followed by some weird, quirky bizarre holes with weird line angles to hit your spots and set up the next shot. But overall, it's a nice experience, at least it is for me. I only play there when they offer deals but the first time I played it I payed full price. Ouch. The conditions though, more than made up for it. Fairways were absolutely perfect, greens were just hard, fast and perfect. Best greens I've putted on in quite awhile. Better than Golf Club of Calif. and Bear Creek CC. I haven't played there for almost a year, so can't say how the conditions are right now. Front nine offers exceptional views of the entire Temecula/Murrieta Valley.

The Journey has crept onto Best in State Top 20 in Golf Digest's Best You Can Play list. I don't know if that does anything for you but just thought I'd mention it. Some people LOVE the golf course, while others loathe it because it is not an easy course to play. It's flat out a difficult tract. Somewhat trying too hard to impress. Some holes (2 I can think of both on the back nine, #11 and 16? are borderline unfair) Very demanding shot values required to score well. You don't get away with loose shots like you do at SCGA. If you want to challenge yourself, then Pechanga is def. the place to play. If you've played Maderas CC then you can kinda get a feel for Pechanga. Lots of elevation, up and down. Clubhouse is nice with excellent food, or you can splurge at the buffet inside.

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1323147161' post='3898219']
Are you going to be there till after Xmas? I will be in temecula from the 25th til the 7th. They changed names now to the legends golf club. I heard the greens are amazing now but the course is still in the same ole shape. Fun course, Easy course. SCGA Murrieta changed to the golf club at rancho california. That course has gone down hill a lot under the new management. If you want to play a great track Get out to Cross creek in de luz. Up rancho cal over the mountain. Redhawk is still a great course.
[/quote]

I have to leave on the 27th in the am. Actually picking the wife up at the airport on her way back for IL. Glad you mentioned SCGA i've been looking on line and didnt know they changed the name, too bad its gone down hill. Dont like that Redhawk is around so many houses but its a possablility. Thanks for the info.

If you wanna play on the 26th I am up for that. Let me know what you want too. We could travel to Golf club of california down the 15 in fallbrook.

Journey is a aurther hills design lol. So yes your going to get the unfair stuff from him but those holes you need to just take your par and move on. I guess I will see if I can get my buddy to give me a good rate at journey.

I don't have too much to add since I haven't played much up in Temecula (I'm in San Diego), but I will say Redhawk is just an average course. I'm sure there has to be better. Have a great trip!

Callaway Epic Sub Zero with Rogue Max
Cobra F6 Baffler
Ping g30 19*, 22*, 26* hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec 6i-GW
Ping Glide WS 54* and 60*
Evnroll ER7

Redhawk used to be one of the best courses in socal then it turned into a muni. Catch it at the right time and it still gives the old tingling feeling lol. It is the holiday spirit why does nobody like me lololol. Jon you are so small you could slide in my travel bag but you would have to pay the overage weight deal? LOL. You should see the set I am building this week for the trip to cali. Also the courses I am playing will make you wish you were single again haha

Mattuop -- you free to play a little from the 26th - the 6th?

Didnt hear anyone mention temecula creek?
Three 9's and the stonehouse is a pretty good challenge.
I like the SCGA course, but haven't played there since they changed the ownership.
I'm a big fan of journey at pechanga. The two-for deal is long gone, but they have a weekday twilight deal right now for $59. I think it starts at noon.
For that price, it's the best option in the area.

I really enjoyed Cross Creek. It's been a few years though. I remember a dog leg right hole that's pretty nasty. It was a guess what club to hit off tee.

I'm looking forward to also playing Pechanga while I'm there.

Would like to play sometime between the 26th-30th of Dec.

Is noon enough time to finish before dark down there?

Forget Temeku Hills, Redhawk, and TCI - not good

Pechanga is the course to play in Temecula

While there, drive 30 mins south and play Maderas!

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

The Legends GC is in the same shape as all the other Temecula area courses right now. all of them are bermuda grass and they are all dormant right now. The greens are the best in the temecula area however, very fast and firm. another fun one is The Links at Summerly for sure. Journey is well worth it if you want to pay the high price tag, played it 2 weeks ago and was in very nice shape.RedHawk is ok, and TCI is nothing special, I always thought it was a very uninspiring layout. Have fun!

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1323147607' post='3898253']
I went to the PGCC lol. Glad to see they bought a course but still need to work on some other skills first in MHO. I would say journey too but I have never played it.. I might this winter when I am there, I am not sure it is worth the 150 bucks. For that price it better be on par with PGA WEST, Pelican hills, Classic Club. It looks really good just need somebody I know play it and tell me lol.
[/quote]

I just [b]played Journey[/b] about 3 weeks ago for [b]$35 9:00am tee time![/b] lol *Must play with a registered Indian though* Prolly the best deal EVER!! My buddy is a beginner, so we played from the white tees (I usually play from the tips) , [b]shot 76[/b], and happy about it haha! :) Great course! Perfect shape, awesome greens and their practice facility is to die for! I live in the Los Angeles area, but travel to the outskirts to play golf.

I will be trying to play this whole week [b]Dec 19-23rd[/b], mon-Fri. Here are some of the courses I will try to play: Dos Lagos, Redhawk, Links at Summerly, Los Serannos, which are all in the same area. Then opposite direction would be River Ridge in Oxnard.

I'm [b]always[/b] looking for people to play with during the week!! Feel free to [b]contact me[/b] if you want to play!! I'm not a weekend golfer, hate playing on the weekends :)

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1323322197' post='3909221']
MAttuop PM sent. Along with I HATE TEMECULA CREEK INN lol Stonehouse has a few good holes and a few well how bout the starting par 5 you have to hit the snap hook to keep it in the fairway lol.
[/quote]

I hate that hole too!! I always try to cut the corner and end up hitting a branch.

Donkaziod, can I borrow your Indian friend ?!!
I'd play there every day for $35. The employees don't even get it that cheap.

I just played Golf Club of California in Fallbrook on Wednesday for $49 bucks. Well worth it, great course and in pretty good condition. Yesterday, I played The Crossings At Carlsbad. It was a nice atmosphere and great course and layout. The course wasn't in that good of condition though. It was a course you need to play more than once to score well, several blind shots. Golf cart GPS didn't help all that much. Play the course from the tips, its about the same as the blues. We got the first twilight tee time (1PM) for $65, and left about 35 minutes early, so sunset wasn't an issue. Maderas is a great course $75 for military rate mon-thur. I must admit, Journey at Pechenga is the best course around, just a steep price if not twilight. $59 weekday right now and it starts at noon. You will finish 18 if you get the first couple twilight times, the pace of play is really pretty good there also.

How do you mark your Titleist???

?? = ?