My Rotational Swing

Here is video of 2 FO and 2 DTL swings from today:

Same video slowed to .3x speed:

I was swinging my PW

I have been working on a rotational swing for about 3 weeks, hitting 50-100 balls probably 18 of those 21 days.

I have been reading a lot of the 9 to 3 drill forum post. I have read most of the 200 page Encyclopedia Texarkana.

Right before these swings today, I watched Dan Whitakers Setup and Arms in Front videos.

I focus on the following when I setup and swing: Grip > Distance from Ball > Reverse K > Wide Backswing > Try to stay on top of my left leg in the Backswing/rotation > Don't let the left elbow bend > Start downswing with my legs > Keep my right elbow in my right hip

I have always hit a lot of shots fat. During this session the shots were not overly fat, until I tried to take fuller swings. Today I hit more than usual number of shots where the Toe of the club caught the turf and the ball went careening right with no trajectory.

I am having trouble deciding how far away from the target to lean after having kicked in my right knee. I am just trying to feel that my hips and shoulders are parallel.

Whenever I would hit fat today, I would re-read a post from Geoff Jones about Over-rotation and I think that is what causes the fat shots. That and failing to stay on top of my left leg. Maybe those are the same thing.

I can feel some good shots, but more often than not I am digging into the turf and cannot seem to overcome that.

Can I have some feedback/advice on this setup and swing? Thank you.

-BrandonA

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BrandonA' timestamp='1325460085' post='4014397']
[url="http://youtu.be/5YMjVPYC-Ck"]http://youtu.be/5YMjVPYC-Ck[/url]

[url="http://youtu.be/86R6nSYj830"]http://youtu.be/86R6nSYj830[/url]

I was swinging my PW

I have been working on a rotational swing for about 3 weeks, hitting 50-100 balls probably 18 of those 21 days.
I have been reading a lot of the 9 to 3 drill forum post. I have read most of the 200 page Encyclopedia Texarkana.
Right before these swings today, I watched Dan Whitakers Setup and Arms in Front videos.

I focus on the following when I setup and swing: Grip > Distance from Ball > Reverse K > Wide Backswing > Try to stay on top of my left leg in the Backswing/rotation > Don't let the left elbow bend > Start downswing with my legs > Keep my right elbow in my right hip
I have always hit a lot of shots fat. During this session the shots were not overly fat, until I tried to take fuller swings. Today I hit more than usual number of shots where the Toe of the club caught the turf and the ball went careening right with no trajectory.
I am having trouble deciding how far away from the target to lean after having kicked in my right knee. I am just trying to feel that my hips and shoulders are parallel.
Whenever I would hit fat today, I would re-read a post from Geoff Jones about Over-rotation and I think that is what causes the fat shots. That and failing to stay on top of my left leg. Maybe those are the same thing.
I can feel some good shots, but more often than not I am digging into the turf and cannot seem to overcome that.

-BrandonA
[/quote]

BrandonA
I think that some of your swing problems are very typical of people who are trying to learn the Slicefixer swing on their own.The 9-3 drill is a great drill as long as someone like Geoff or Dan or MIchael are watching you;however for golfers trying to learn the Slicefixer on their own,I think that it is the wrong way to start.I much prefer the shorter 8-4 swing,Martin chucks's"golf pro impact drill",the Ben hogan 5 lessons drill and the punisher drill

let me make some suggestions on how to improve
1 your swing is more like 10:30 than 9: certainly not my preference 8:00
2. the ball is too far back in your swing.this will only create undesirable angles
3..your knees are bent too much.Try this when you bend to the ball.Stand up straight.Then without a club push back on your hip sockets in front of your body.You will feel your hamstrings stretch and your butt go up in the air.As you approach the area where you would ground the club,bend your knees to settle in
4.You need more hip tilt to make your hips parallel to your shoulders and line up your middle and lower spine.The general rule of thumb is to tilt so that you can just barely touch the outside of your right kneecap with the extended middle finger of your right hand.
5 you really need to get your wrists fully set at 9:00 if you are going to compress the ball and AVOID THE FATS.

Double check your setup position and your wrist set in the mirror

On the downswing you get really steep, stall your pivot and get the right elbow way away from your body.

Stay way from the 9-3 until you are consistently compressing the ball with the following drills.In all of these drills it is important to grip the club and to setup correctly

a.Ben Hogan five lessons drill on the Ed Sullivan show.The lesson to learn from this video is that the upper arms from elbows on up are closely connected to your body from just before to just after impact.do only the 8-4 version of this drill.Place ball down and hit it every third pass
b Martin Chucks "golf pro impact drill". The starting position eliminates the takeaway which is problematical in your case,fully sets your wrists and allows you to focus just on pivoting through without trying to release the hands at all.Notice Martin's emphasis on the right elbow /hip connection.8-4 or 9-3 on this drill.
c.Punisher drill.I have mentioned this many times recently in this swing video section.A great drill to get you pivoting through better and to compress the ball.

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1325473192' post='4015527']

I was swinging my PW

-BrandonA
[/quote]

BrandonA
I think that some of your swing problems are very typical of people who are trying to learn the Slicefixer swing on their own.The 9-3 drill is a great drill as long as someone like Geoff or Dan or MIchael are watching you;however for golfers trying to learn the Slicefixer on their own,I think that it is the wrong way to start.I much prefer the shorter 8-4 swing,Martin chucks's"golf pro impact drill",the Ben hogan 5 lessons drill and the punisher drill

2. the ball is too far back in your swing.this will only create undesirable angles
3..your knees are bent too much.Try this when you bend to the ball.Stand up straight.Then without a club push back on your hip sockets in front of your body.You will feel your hamstrings stretch and your butt go up in the air.As you approach the area where you would ground the club,bend your knees to settle in
4.You need more hip tilt to make your hips parallel to your shoulders and line up your middle and lower spine.The general rule of thumb is to tilt so that you can just barely touch the outside of your right kneecap with the extended middle finger of your right hand.
5 you really need to get your wrists fully set at 9:00 if you are going to compress the ball and AVOID THE FATS.

On the downswing you get really steep, stall your pivot and get the right elbow way away from your body.

Stay way from the 9-3 until you are consistently compressing the ball with the following drills.In all of these drills it is important to grip the club and to setup correctly

a.Ben Hogan five lessons drill on the Ed Sullivan show.The lesson to learn from this video is that the upper arms from elbows on up are closely connected to your body from just before to just after impact.do only the 8-4 version of this drill.Place ball down and hit it every third pass
b Martin Chucks "golf pro impact drill". The starting position eliminates the takeaway which is problematical in your case,fully sets your wrists and allows you to focus just on pivoting through without trying to release the hands at all.Notice Martin's emphasis on the right elbow /hip connection.8-4 or 9-3 on this drill.
c.Punisher drill.I have mentioned this many times recently in this swing video section.A great drill to get you pivoting through better and to compress the ball.
[/quote]

russc,
Thank you for your advice. I will take those drills and run with them.
What club should I use with the Ed Sullivan 5 Lessons drill? What club should I use with Chuck Martins golf pro impant drill?
I am a little confused by your advice on my hips. How do I get more hip tilt? Does kicking my right knee in cause my hips to tilt? Or is it something else? I will use the tip about barely touching the outside of my right kneecap.
Thanks a lot for helping out so many struggling golfers.

-BrandonA

[quote name='BrandonA' timestamp='1325517751' post='4017129']

I was swinging my PW

-BrandonA
[/quote]

BrandonA

[/quote]

russc,
What club should I use with the Ed Sullivan 5 Lessons drill? What club should I use with Chuck Martins golf pro impant drill?
I am a little confused by your advice on my hips. How do I get more hip tilt? Does kicking my right knee in cause my hips to tilt? Or is it something else? I will use the tip about barely touching the outside of my right kneecap.

-BrandonA
[/quote]

Kicking your right knee DOWN AND IN will tilt your hips.just do not overdue it.Just touching the outside of your your kneecap is a doublechek..Dan's clap hands drill in his video "setup" is an easy method of learning the correct setup.Hip and shoulder tilt should be slight,but noticeable ,about 8 degrees.
Slicefixer suggests using a lob wedge in performing the 9-3 drills,so use it in all of these drills:however,sometimes i grip down on a 7 iron..The resulting weight above my hands counterbalances the weight of the clubhead and helps to delay the toe of the club from catching the heel. The purpose of all of these drills is to hold the angle of your right wrist while pivoting through.,so do not be afraid of swinging slowly or even starting out with very long chips.

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1325523208' post='4017431']
[quote name='BrandonA' timestamp='1325517751' post='4017129']

I was swinging my PW

-BrandonA
[/quote]

BrandonA

[/quote]

russc,

-BrandonA
[/quote]

Kicking your right knee DOWN AND IN will tilt your hips.just do not overdue it.Just touching the outside of your your kneecap is a doublechek..Dan's clap hands drill in his video "setup" is an easy method of learning the correct setup.Hip and shoulder tilt should be slight,but noticeable ,about 8 degrees.
Slicefixer suggests using a lob wedge in performing the 9-3 drills,so use it in all of these drills:however,sometimes i grip down on a 7 iron..The resulting weight above my hands counterbalances the weight of the clubhead and helps to delay the toe of the club from catching the heel. The purpose of all of these drills is to hold the angle of your right wrist while pivoting through.,so do not be afraid of swinging slowly or even starting out with very long chips.
[/quote]

Thanks again russc.
I went out this morning and attempted the 5 Lessons drill and Chuck Martin pro impact drill. I uploaded video of some swings with the 5 lessons drill and 3 swings doing the Chuck Martin pro impact drill. After watching the videos I realized that I am still swinging to 9:00 but nothing really felt good in those swings and I was still taking more turf than Chuck Martin does in the video and my divots started at the back of the ball or even further back.

5 Lessons: [url="http://youtu.be/ZlWRJt35lN4"]http://youtu.be/ZlWRJt35lN4[/url]
3 pro impact: [url="http://youtu.be/wMmi6Bzo4_Q"]http://youtu.be/wMmi6Bzo4_Q[/url]
3 pro impact 1/3 speed: [url="http://youtu.be/jyWwLCOXyng"]http://youtu.be/jyWwLCOXyng[/url]
I am going to Home Depot this afternoon to get some Driveway sticks so that I can practice the Punisher and see if that teaches me a lesson. :lol:

Am I supposed to swing it just like Hogan does in the 8-4 part of the video? Don't set the wrists, just pivot back and forth?
On the pro impact drill, should the elbow disconnect from the hip in the last 12-18 inches before impact? It seemed to me that if it didnt, I would have to dip down in order to make contact.

Can I have some feedback/advice on whether I am setting up and swinging correctly on these 2 drills?
Thank you for the advice so far.

-BrandonA

• 2 weeks later...

Im not a pro by any means, but I do read a lot and practice a lot as well. When I do practice I focus on set up, and ball position. Now I have read through all the responses you have gotten, and no one really pointed out how close your standing to the ball. This is making to compensate to hit shot flush. I would push the ball out another 3 inches from you then take you set up. This will help flatten your swing and hit more shot in the center of the club.