2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura Vs. Chikara

Looking to rewedge my bag and am looking at these two brands. Can anyone that plays either of these in wedges give feedback on what they play? Pros/Cons. Or is there another brand that I should be looking at. Hoping to go with something Japenese/Foreign bc I think the quality is a little better. Thanks.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played the Chikara V1 and V2's and also the Miura Yururi 1957 C and Y grind as well as it's immediate predecessor (whose model name escapes me). All models tested were 52 bent to (53) and 58*. I currently bag the V1 Protos and will as long as I can find them. My second choice would be the Yururi Miuras I described. To be honest, there's not a nickels worth between except in the feel department. The Chikara is very crisp while the Miura has the soft feel they are noted for. This is as honest as I can be about this. While I prefer the Chikara, I'd have zero qualms whatsoever to bagging the Miura.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='NCGA Handicapable' timestamp='1326827708' post='4099967']
Looking to rewedge my bag and am looking at these two brands. Can anyone that plays either of these in wedges give feedback on what they play? Pros/Cons. Or is there another brand that I should be looking at. Hoping to go with something Japenese/Foreign bc I think the quality is a little better. Thanks.
[/quote]

I'm a bit biased because I work for the company; but, there's a reason why 30 Champions Tour players put Royal Collection clubs into their bags last season--oh, and they each did it without getting paid to or being part of a winner's pool. They did it because the Dual Bite CP wedges rock! When a 5x Open Championship winner plays 2 wedges most of the season, they must be special.

[quote name='rwelshjr' timestamp='1326856051' post='4103069']
[quote name='NCGA Handicapable' timestamp='1326827708' post='4099967']
[/quote]

I'm a bit biased because I work for the company; but, there's a reason why 30 Champions Tour players put Royal Collection clubs into their bags last season--oh, and they each did it without getting paid to or being part of a winner's pool. They did it because the Dual Bite CP wedges rock! When a 5x Open Championship winner plays 2 wedges most of the season, they must be special.
[/quote]

But Nick Price plays 588s so I think I will go that route.

I bag the Miura Y Grind 49, and the K Grind 56 (bent to 55) - I love both of these wedges. The K Grind - the fluted sole - is phenomenal in the sand, rough, fairway, and around the greens. As to the 59 C Grind, I haven't found comfort in the tightish lies of winter with that club -- it could be a confidence issue. But I would state with confidence that you will enjoy a Y Grind in the Gap Wedge and the K Grind in the 56. I use the DG Spinner Shaft - Wedge + in the Gap, and Wedge in the SW.

As to the lob wedge, if that is your specialty club for finesse shots -- I'd find a grind that fits what you do around the greens with it.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

[quote name='teamyonex' timestamp='1326853561' post='4102779']
Deciding between the aforementioned brands is a nice problem to have. I have the full slew of Miura, but someday will probably try a set of Yururi Raw Gekku... if they ever made them in lefty. Check out MadeInJapanGolf...http://madeinjapangolf.com/
[/quote]

They make them lefty in 49, 53, 57 and 61* lofts.

Both great brands but I'm partial to the original V1's and Proto Types for Chikaras. I don't like the new forgings and find them much more clickier the the old one's. The sole grinds on the new wedges are also much more pedestrian then Carltons originals.

The Miura's are great wedges. Although I have many Chikara's, I'm currently using a Y bent to 52* and a K bent to 58*. It's tough for me to say considering how much I raved about Chikara's in the past but the feel and playability is superior, especially in the K grind.

[quote name='House of forged' timestamp='1326974064' post='4116159']
HI, while everyone has there opinion on wedges I must say Chikara!!!!!! And maybe he's never tried putting his equipment on tour and if he had in my opinion he ( Carl ) would be streets ahead!!!!!! I game both RC and the new CHIKARA and I must say It's CHIKARA ALL THE WAY. The new TOUR GRIND MB1 and CB IRONS are stunning very SOFT and I spoke to Carlton last week and the good thing with Carlton he does anything you require to what you order in terms of STAMPING, COLOUR, through there distributors so CHIKARA for me!!!
[/quote]

+1. I know ... he's obscure. Hardly anyone has heard of him. But I have been playing his wedges for five years or so (after 40+ years of golf) ... ands ... well, I've just ordered 3 new ones, at $300 a pop ... yeah, they are THAT good. It is not just the feel, it is the grind ... the grind is just amazing.

Prior to Carl, I actually had two sets of wedges ... (because I play in a lot of different places) ... worried like crazy about bounce. Had one set for playing on the hardpan of (for instance) Texas ... and another set for places like Florida and Ireland ... thick, lush fairways.

Carl's grinds were a relevation. I feel like I can do anything with them by adjusting stance and grip and swing path ... pick it off asphalt, or flop it out of the thickest grass. Sand? Doesn't matter ... wet and hard, or soft and fluffy ...

Even more than that? You order a club from Carl ... and it is a long conversation ... those I have on order right now ... every aspect of the club is customized ... I specified the shaft, the grip, the finish, the metal, the grind, and exactly how I wanted the markings ... it genuinely IS a "prototype". I actually feel like I'm getting the same level of service that the pros get.

Yeah, he's expensive ... but if you can afford him, he is completely and totally worth it ...

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Since I have the Ckhikara Prototypes, I don´t even want to hit any other wedge. They are just fantastic. Only thing I´m concerned about ist finding backups, when my set wears out.

Doesn´t get any better!

Yamaha V202 Tour - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha v FW 14° - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha IFF 19° - Tour AD DI-7
Epon Personal 3-P - DG Pro
Yamaha Inpres X 52° 58° - DG Spinner
Golds Factory SUS 303 custom
WITB Link

[quote name='SwingMan' timestamp='1327085931' post='4125475']
I bag the Miura Y Grind 49, and the K Grind 56 (bent to 55) - I love both of these wedges. The K Grind - the fluted sole - is phenomenal in the sand, rough, fairway, and around the greens. As to the 59 C Grind, I haven't found comfort in the tightish lies of winter with that club -- it could be a confidence issue. But I would state with confidence that you will enjoy a Y Grind in the Gap Wedge and the K Grind in the 56. I use the DG Spinner Shaft - Wedge + in the Gap, and Wedge in the SW.

As to the lob wedge, if that is your specialty club for finesse shots -- I'd find a grind that fits what you do around the greens with it.
[/quote]

After more play with the 59 C Grind (medium sole, 15 bounce, some relief) in the Miura, I'd say if you are an aggressive player, you will enjoy the club. I put the ball on almost non-existent lies - dirt, semi-dirt, and very little grass - you can't be squeamish in those conditions -- and if you go after it (hit ball first), it works well - ball gets up nicely. I played a Vokey SM4 60-10 (M Grind) against it on the same lies, and performance was comparable on 30-40 yard shots-- if you are aggressive, the Miura works- you can even open it up slightly.

Now in normal conditions - some grass, medium turf, the Miura will glide for you and work well to open it up to an advanced degree.

What I like about Miura as opposed to some of these radical grinds one sees -- is I believe you will find the Miura to be a more stable club on full shots over the others

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

V1 Chikaras are the ones that I have had in my bag from their release. By far the best grind I have used, and I have tried most of Pitbull's clubs. I still wouldn't change. This coming from a guy that has Miura forged irons in his bag, and back up bags. The only adjustment I have on my gamer is I had Carlton put on a little more heel grind. But stock is just fine too.

[quote name='mauiatheart' timestamp='1328317324' post='4208945']
V1 Chikaras are the ones that I have had in my bag from their release. By far the best grind I have used, and I have tried most of Pitbull's clubs. I still wouldn't change. This coming from a guy that has Miura forged irons in his bag, and back up bags. The only adjustment I have on my gamer is I had Carlton put on a little more heel grind. But stock is just fine too.
[/quote]

What is the head size on these V-1's? Ultra compact, compact, ???

[quote name='1tondriver' timestamp='1328370829' post='4212047']
[quote name='mauiatheart' timestamp='1328317324' post='4208945']
[/quote]

What is the head size on these V-1's? Ultra compact, compact, ???
[/quote]

Like a 588 Cleveland.

• 2 weeks later...

i have miura black wedge (52 & 60), miura k-grind (56), yururi tour raw (52, 56, 60), and huwari black wedge IO grind from kyoei (52 &56).

Among these, I love the feel of huwari wedges. It is soft, solid, and really get the ball up and land softly.
However, I love the shape of yururi tour raw. The grind allow me to really open the club face.

Miura's wedge is good as well but huwari and yururi perform better on each field that I mentioned above.

I'm still looking for the wedge that can combine the shape of yururi with the feel of huwari.