2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Best Laser Rangefinder for Under $200??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The callaway lr550 will do what you want it to do, the cheapest I have seen is at Amazon $220.00 I think.

The Bushnell Medalist is another good choice for the price it is a good choice but only has 4x maginification callaway has 6x.

The Bushnell I think is 215.00 at Amazon.

Either way I don"t think you can go wrong with the two.

Take a look golf rangefinder review on the net you will get alot of infor there also. Check this site out rangefinder-golf.org got it off the net.

fishing

[quote name='Golferpimp1' timestamp='1328201365' post='4197505']
Thanks for the feedback. The LR550 seems like it should work. Then I read about some of them and think it may be worth the extra 50 bucks to get the Leupold GX-1. . . . hmmm
[/quote]

Before I lost mine, I used to have the Callaway LR800, and have also tried the LR550. I ended up buying the GX-3 for the small size and the red OLED, but you cannot go wrong with either Callaway model...they pick up targets super fast...even faster than my Leupold GX-3.

I love my GX-3, but since you're considering the GX-1 (which doesn't have the OLED display), I would say save the extra $50 and go for the Callaway. Both are super accurate, both are made by superior glass/optics companies, both have 6x magnification, and both companies have outstanding customer service.

But the Callaway gets the slight edge because it's slightly faster picking up targets, it's waterproof (with sealed O-ring, though they say except for the battery chamber, whatever that means), where the Leupold is just water-resistant, and though I'm splitting hairs, functionally, I preferred the Callaway case over the Leupold...the Callaway is a neoprene sleeve that fits over the rangefinder, and front piece that covers the lens is attached with a little strip of velcro and folds down easily like this:

[attachment=1008201:callaway case.jpg]

The only thing I dislike about my GX-3 is the case (with the very loose magnetic closure), and the GX-1 case is slightly better with it's closure, but you still have to remove the rangefinder from the case to use it:

[attachment=1008221:gx-1 case.jpg]

Another vote for Callaway/Nikon. Have the now discontinued LR800 model. This will be the 3rd season with it and have been very satisfied with it.
Only slight gripe was that the battery indicator dropped from full to zero with no real warning. Had been on the original battery for about a year/100 rounds so was carrying a spare expecting it to go south fairly soon.
Wouldn't hesitate to replace it with another Callaway unit.

Another vote for Callaway LR550, outstanding unit. I have a Skycaddie SGX GPS unit and after getting the range finder the SGX is rarely used. The scan mode is so good and most don't talk about it. Push the button/let go than as you scan objects the different yardages just keep poping up. On approach shots I hit a green side bunker first then the flag and I am good to go, it's that fast. The optics are outstanding as bright and clear as anything I have looked through, crosshairs very visible.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

And by the way, no matter which range finder you go with, DON'T ever pay 10 bucks for a battery at a retail store. Pick up a few of them for under $2.00 each at the below link, keep a spare one in your bag, and you'll never have to worry again:

[url="http://www.batteryjunction.com/duracell-cr2.html"]Duracell CR2 Rangefinder Battery at Battery Junction[/url]

They don't come in a blister package...just wrapped in bubble wrap...but who cares? They last me almost an entire season, and they're the same exact Duracell batteries that you'll find in retail stores.

Those batteries...reason why I picked up my Medalist, it uses a 9V. Sure it's not as compact but it's small enough and 9V are easier and cheaper to replace. I think I picked my Medalist for about $175 and it's water proof la dee da...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1328429389' post='4216733']
Those batteries...reason why I picked up my Medalist, it uses a 9V. Sure it's not as compact but it's small enough and 9V are easier and cheaper to replace. I think I picked my Medalist for about $175 and it's water proof la dee da...
[/quote]

Easier to replace from a B&M store, probably. Cheaper? Not necessarily, if bought online.

The Bushnell rangefinders are a great product when they work. But if for any reason they malfunction, good luck dealing with Bushnell customer service.

I forgot which Leupold I have, but I did not get it from a Golf shop.. I went to BassPro and got a hunting one.. Works just like any you would get at any golfing retailer, but much cheaper.. If you haven't thought of going that route.. it's the same thing, why not save yourself a few bucks along the way !!

[quote name='tx-ping' timestamp='1328811543' post='4245875']
I forgot which Leupold I have, but I did not get it from a Golf shop.. I went to BassPro and got a hunting one.. Works just like any you would get at any golfing retailer, but much cheaper.. If you haven't thought of going that route.. it's the same thing, why not save yourself a few bucks along the way !!
[/quote]

Actually, there is a difference. The golf range finders are programmed to pick up the closer target (the pin), whereas the hunting models are apt to pick up objects in the background. Many people have found that golf specific range finders have a much easier time picking up a pin than their hunting counterparts. Now if a specific hunting model has the ability to switch between the two functions, then it can be similar. Leupold themselves have said that there is a difference between their RX hunting line and the GX golf line...

Here is one member's review on Leupold range finders:
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/509710-hunting-rangefinders/page__view__findpost__p__3530540"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ost__p__3530540[/url]

If you're a little short on cash and can get significant savings by opting for the hunting model, by all means go ahead...in most cases, it will work. But I would venture to say that using a golf specific model would be easier and definitely faster.

[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1328861911' post='4250851']
[/quote]

Actually, there is a difference. The golf range finders are programmed to pick up the closer target (the pin), whereas the hunting models are apt to pick up objects in the background. Many people have found that golf specific range finders have a much easier time picking up a pin than their hunting counterparts. Now if a specific hunting model has the ability to switch between the two functions, then it can be similar. Leupold themselves have said that there is a difference between their RX hunting line and the GX golf line...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/509710-hunting-rangefinders/page__view__findpost__p__3530540"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ost__p__3530540[/url]

If you're a little short on cash and can get significant savings by opting for the hunting model, by all means go ahead...in most cases, it will work. But I would venture to say that using a golf specific model would be easier and definitely faster.
[/quote]

Mine works just fine..and I have never had any problems picking up the pin ever.. Remember, everyone has their own views on every club, ball, shoe... I just gave mine on that.. Unless you really absolutely have to have the golf line and want to spend the extra money, go for it.. If you want just about the same technology, and want to save a few bucks, by all means, go get the hunting one. I will say though, you said faster, how much faster, 1 -2 seconds? When I point and shoot, I get the distance right then. Don't see how 1-2 seconds faster makes it that much worth it.
Again, buy what you want, not my money, but I know mine works as good as any golf line range finders..Just giving you guys an option....

[quote name='tx-ping' timestamp='1328884407' post='4251613']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mine works just fine..and I have never had any problems picking up the pin ever.. Remember, everyone has their own views on every club, ball, shoe... I just gave mine on that.. Unless you really absolutely have to have the golf line and want to spend the extra money, go for it.. If you want just about the same technology, and want to save a few bucks, by all means, go get the hunting one. I will say though, you said faster, how much faster, 1 -2 seconds? When I point and shoot, I get the distance right then. Don't see how 1-2 seconds faster makes it that much worth it.
Again, buy what you want, not my money, but I know mine works as good as any golf line range finders..Just giving you guys an option....
[/quote]

Like I said, there are lots of members, particularly people with even slightly shaky hands, who have had a harder time picking up pins with a hunting specific range finder...there are tons of threads about it. Just like there are lots of members who are very happy with their hunting model.

Personally, I've only tried a fellow playing partner's Nikon hunting specific range finder, and it was definitely harder for me to shoot the pin, and I have pretty steady hands and have been using range finders for awhile now. Larger objects like trees, bunkers, etc. were exactly the same.

As it relates to Leupold, I have no personal experience but as mentioned in the link I provided above, another member had similar comments...he specifically said..."[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]I can get a pin reading in 2 seconds and with the RX it takes 5-10 depending how still I am". A few seconds isn't really a big difference, in theory, but a few seconds delay for each time you shoot, which could be 2-3 or more times per hole (and even more if you're shooting yardages to help your playing partners) can potentially be frustrating over an entire round. [/size][/color][color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Just throwing that possibility out there. [/size][/color][color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Also, solely as it relates to Leupold, the red OLED display is awesome, and I think that's proprietary to just the golf range finder line. [/size][/color]

[color="#1C2837"][size="2"] OP, did you end up pulling the trigger on the Callaway?[/size][/color]

Just picked up the diablo version LR550 for $202 shipped from the bay. Been scouting one for about a week and the right price finally popped up. Brand new shrink wrapped in the box! Keep your eyes peeled OP and you'll get one for the right price

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

[quote name='cmrl1986' timestamp='1329025258' post='4264947']
Just picked up the diablo version LR550 for $202 shipped from the bay. Been scouting one for about a week and the right price finally popped up. Brand new shrink wrapped in the box! Keep your eyes peeled OP and you'll get one for the right price
[/quote]

I got the same deal 6 months ago off of ebay....great range finder, faster than my buddies v2 .....check rockbottom they have them cheap there too

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What Asong is trying to say (and he is correct) is that there is a difference between the hunting and golfing models. It's called First Target Priority Mode in the Nikon Golf models (Callaway) and it removes the ability to shoot backround objects and locks onto the target (flag) faster. Not all hunting models come with this feature...some have the ability to turn it on or off...others don't. There is a difference between the two models...if you go this route, do the research so you make sure what you are getting works best for you.

[quote name='mickw' timestamp='1329069013' post='4267123']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What Asong is trying to say (and he is correct) is that there is a difference between the hunting and golfing models. It's called First Target Priority Mode in the Nikon Golf models (Callaway) and it removes the ability to shoot backround objects and locks onto the target (flag) faster. Not all hunting models come with this feature...some have the ability to turn it on or off...others don't. There is a difference between the two models...if you go this route, do the research so you make sure what you are getting works best for you.
[/quote]

What he said.

Thanks for the clarification.