2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubs in San Francisco

ceasterb

I'll be there in June . . .
My wife is headed out to SF for a conference in June and I am planning to accompany her. I'll be free during the days, so I'm planning to play at least two or three of the days that I'm there. Thoughts on where I should spend my time on the links? I know The Olympic Club and San Francisco G.C. are well repected and I think I may have "friends of friends" connections to get on, but where else might be worth while? Thanks so much.

Taylormade M1 10.5* with Diamana Whiteboard S 70g shaft
Titleist 917 D2 3 wood with a Diamana 70 5ct S shaft
Ping Anser 20* hybrid,
Ping Anser 23* hybrid,
Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW with KBS Tour 120 stiff shafts
50*, 54* & 60* Titleist SM6 wedges
Byron Morgan DH89 SS with Super Stroke 1.0 grip

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T[quote name='scotchblade' timestamp='1328729488' post='4239165']
Scratch Olympic, the US Open is there in June. Lake Merced and California Club are excellent. In Marin, Meadow Club (MacKenzie). On the Peninsula, Green Hills (MacKenzie) and Peninsula (Ross).

But if you have the kind of connections to get you on SF Club, don't pass up the chance.
[/quote]
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Taylormade M1 10.5* with Diamana Whiteboard S 70g shaft
Titleist 917 D2 3 wood with a Diamana 70 5ct S shaft
Ping Anser 20* hybrid,
Ping Anser 23* hybrid,
Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW with KBS Tour 120 stiff shafts
50*, 54* & 60* Titleist SM6 wedges
Byron Morgan DH89 SS with Super Stroke 1.0 grip

I played the Ocean Course at The Ritz Carlton- Half Moon Bay when traveling for work about 4 months ago... Just outside of San Francisco - It is a great Arthur Hills course to play with ocean views from every hole!

[url="http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/HalfMoonBay/Golf/Default.htm"]http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/HalfMoonBay/Golf/Default.htm[/url]

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1329228686' post='4282983']
I have heard nothing but rave reviews for the recent Kyle Phillips renovation at the Cal Club.
[/quote]

Played out in SF last May. Sharp Park, Cal Club, Harding and Olympic. Cal Club is unbelievable. I havent played everywhere but Cal Club is one of the toughest courses I have played. It is pure golf out there, with very little in the way of yardage markers, tee signs and garbage cans. Hell even bunker rakes were old wooden style ones. Played Sharp Park as part of a benefit to keep it up and running. Great holes but all of SF money goes into Harding and not Lincoln and Sharp, so conditions were less than favorable. Played Olympic and I have never seen an busier prestigious golf club than this one. It was 5.5 hours and we played with a member. He informed us that they had recently opened up afternoon tee times to the Olympic Athletic Club members from downtown and this really clogged them up. No regrets playing there of course. great experience. Im guessing Harding is going to be nuts during the Open, because of its proximity to Olympic. I would make arrangements now if I were playing there in June. Didnt get a chance to play SF Club, but from what I am told is the crown jewel of SF golf. Scotchblade from what I can tell is pretty much the NorCal authority when it comes to golf in that area.

[quote name='GolfinDawg' timestamp='1329229650' post='4283059']
Scotchblade from what I can tell is pretty much the NorCal authority when it comes to golf in that area.
[/quote]
Why thank you sir, that's nice of you to say.

You are right about Olympic, it is unbelievably busy. Busier than Harding across Lake Merced! 5-1/2 hours is painful. Usually they are pretty good on pace, but can slow down when most of the groups are made up of one member and three guests.

I have not played the new Cal Club, but it sounds terrific. Tree removal was a major part of the Cal Club renovation. Links magazine just came out with a new Top 100 list and Cal Club is creeping up. On the other hand, Olympic is slipping down, barely ahead of Pasatiempo according to their points scale. SFGC is well ahead and rightly so, IMO.

In the 1970s, Olympic was always in the Top Ten list put out by Golf Digest. They've eliminated hundreds of trees over the past few years, it now has a completely different look and feel to it. Billy Casper called it a "skeleton of it's old self" - or something like that during a recent podcast. I'm sure it will be discussed during the US Open broadcast. I wonder what Johnny Miller will have to say, being that he was a junior member and had a great showing when the event was played there in '66.

[quote name='scotchblade' timestamp='1329254385' post='4286103']
[quote name='GolfinDawg' timestamp='1329229650' post='4283059']
Scotchblade from what I can tell is pretty much the NorCal authority when it comes to golf in that area.
[/quote]
Why thank you sir, that's nice of you to say.

You are right about Olympic, it is unbelievably busy. Busier than Harding across Lake Merced! 5-1/2 hours is painful. Usually they are pretty good on pace, but can slow down when most of the groups are made up of one member and three guests.

I have not played the new Cal Club, but it sounds terrific. Tree removal was a major part of the Cal Club renovation. Links magazine just came out with a new Top 100 list and Cal Club is creeping up. On the other hand, Olympic is slipping down, barely ahead of Pasatiempo according to their points scale. SFGC is well ahead and rightly so, IMO.

In the 1970s, Olympic was always in the Top Ten list put out by Golf Digest. They've eliminated hundreds of trees over the past few years, it now has a completely different look and feel to it. Billy Casper called it a "skeleton of it's old self" - or something like that during a recent podcast. I'm sure it will be discussed during the US Open broadcast. I wonder what Johnny Miller will have to say, being that he was a junior member and had a great showing when the event was played there in '66.
[/quote]

Last I heard Johnny was going to try and make a run at qualifying for Olympic this year. He said it, so dont know how genuine he was being. Would be fun to see him out there though.

if you can get on to SF GC and Olympic GC, don't miss the opportunity. born and raised and still haven't teed it up at either of those courses.

speaking of the *hopeful third day, i'd like to second the votes for The Ocean Course at the Ritz Carlton, Half Moon Bay. 30-60 minute ocean drive south to the closest comparison to Pebble you'll find up here without actually playing Pebble.

i'll add a couple of other favorites definitely worth checking out.

if you've already played SF GC and Olympic, go ahead and skip Presidio as its pretty comparable to them. definitely not the same caliber in terms of exclusivity but it does share the other traits San Francisco golf has to offer - old trees, cold and damp air and often foggy. if you were unable to play the GC's mentioned previously, don't miss Presidio as its a legend in San Francisco golf in its own right.

other ideas if you'd like to try bay area golf:

15 minutes east across the bridge is a links style course (mentioned earlier in the thread) at the Oakland airport - Metropolitan links. public course, often busy but worth its weight in moderate green fees.

45-60 mins south in San Jose has a course i recently played that is worth mentioning in that it may be the most difficult course i've seen - The Ranch Golf Club. you can check their site for the layout, slope, etc. if you want to experience a punishing round, check this place out. also has some reasonable green fees.

"Black : 6747 yards 72.8/150
Blue : 6389 yards 70.4/142
White : 5808 yards 68.5/129"

other east bay ideas: Poppy Ridge, Chardonnay and the Bridges Golf Club.

anyway, have fun on your trip. remember, San Francisco is cold in June - mid 50's (low humidity) morning through evening - we only have one season here. if you venture just 20 minutes north, south or east the temps could get up to high 80's, check the weather and pack the right clothes.

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

forgot to mention - we have a TPC course in the east bay if you can access it - TPC Stonebrae.

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

Olympic and Lake Merced are the only two private clubs I've played in SF. I found them both very tough. If you can't get on a private. I'd skip Harding Park and the other publics and take drive down the coast and play Pasatiempo. It's about an hour south of the airport. I'll add a vote for some of the East Bay courses mentioned above if yoou want to stay closer. Metropoltan is okay if you want to keep the price down; Poppy Ridge, Chardonnay and Wente Vineyards are other good options, but not in the same league as Pasa.

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1329653674' post='4322173']
Olympic and Lake Merced are the only two private clubs I've played in SF. I found them both very tough. If you can't get on a private. I'd skip Harding Park and the other publics and take drive down the coast and play Pasatiempo. It's about an hour south of the airport. I'll add a vote for some of the East Bay courses mentioned above if yoou want to stay closer. Metropoltan is okay if you want to keep the price down; Poppy Ridge, Chardonnay and Wente Vineyards are other good options, but not in the same league as Pasa.
[/quote]

I have made a point to play as many top 100s as possible (about 40 so far), and San Fran Golf Club might be my favorite course in the country. Don't miss an opportunity to play it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...