2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Leather Grips on DX Tourneys

How do I make playable
I just picked up these mid 60's DX Tourney irons today and they look to have the original Tourney Contact leather grips. The grips are in good shape but a little slick.

Any suggestions on how to tack them up again. I've been told soap and water but know someone here can confirm that.

Titleist TSR2 10* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a bottle lexol leather cleaner , and a bottle of conditioner...also, if you cant find that brand, blue coral is sold at auto zone and advance auto and works fine... [quote name='memphishorn' timestamp='1328745429' post='4240999']
I just picked up these mid 60's DX Tourney irons today and they look to have the original Tourney Contact leather grips. The grips are in good shape but a little slick.

Any suggestions on how to tack them up again. I've been told soap and water but know someone here can confirm that.
[/quote]

Thanks...on second thought I wonder if these are really leather or an old version of a Tour Wrap or Perma Wrap. The DX Tourney line was below the MT and VIP lines so I would question whether or not MacGregor would actually put leather grips on them. My 1st set of DX's I had as a kid had a rubber chevron Tourney grip as I recall.

Has anyone here had any experience with these grips. If they are not leather, I may not need to be as careful in working on them.

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='memphishorn' timestamp='1328816296' post='4246445']
Thanks...on second thought I wonder if these are really leather or an old version of a Tour Wrap or Perma Wrap. The DX Tourney line was below the MT and VIP lines so I would question whether or not MacGregor would actually put leather grips on them. My 1st set of DX's I had as a kid had a rubber chevron Tourney grip as I recall.

Has anyone here had any experience with these grips. If they are not leather, I may not need to be as careful in working on them.
[/quote]

My guess is that they are leather. DX Tourneys were not a lower line club. they were priced about the same as MT's, but were supposedly more playable for average golfers. had a little more offset and face size, I think. MT's and VIP's were more of a player's club. Rev up the Lexol, clean those babies up and give em a rip.

i once had a set of DX Tourney woods that were owned and played by Nicklaus, so DX is definitely not value line and grips are definitely leather!!

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1328844764' post='4249829']

[/quote]

My guess is that they are leather. DX Tourneys were not a lower line club. they were priced about the same as MT's, but were supposedly more playable for average golfers. had a little more offset and face size, I think. MT's and VIP's were more of a player's club. Rev up the Lexol, clean those babies up and give em a rip.
[/quote]

I learn something new here all the time. I'm 57 now but since my dad gave me his set of DX Tourney irons when I was 13 (he bought a set of VIP Limited)I have always thought that the pecking order for Tourney products in the 60's was DX then MT then VIP. The "game improvement" aspect is something I never thought of. I still have the VIP Sand Iron and you are correct that the DX 11 Pitching Duty is larger and does have offset.

I only played with the original DX's for brief period until I got some Haig Ultras which is what I learned with. By the time I got to high school and was in the 80's consistantly I got the 71/72 split sole MT's and thought I had arrived. The only irons I thought where cooler were Wilson Staffs and my dad's VIP's (ended up with those anyway).

The DX's in the photo above I just picked up for $20. I'm going to get the grips in shape and go hit them soon.

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='UK_Neil' timestamp='1328861072' post='4250823']
The DX Tourney line was below the MT .[/quote]

First time I've heard these mentioned. I have a set of MT's. I didn't think they would be at the top end of the scale. They look fairly 'agricultural'.
[/quote]

The way I have been digging and plowing up the golf courses, I could use a good set of "agricultural" clubs

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1328895190' post='4253279']
[quote name='UK_Neil' timestamp='1328861072' post='4250823']
The DX Tourney line was below the MT .[/quote]

First time I've heard these mentioned. I have a set of MT's. I didn't think they would be at the top end of the scale. They look fairly 'agricultural'.
[/quote]

The way I have been digging and plowing up the golf courses, I could use a good set of "agricultural" clubs
[/quote]

LOL :clapping:

• 2 weeks later...

I have cleaned these irons up, redone the paint fill and used the Lexol to recondition the leather grips. The Lexol worked great not only on the grips but on my dad's old leather Burton golf bag. I will probably use it on the grips again to to make sure they are in good shape.

My question now is, I would like to confirm what teevons and Ironmaster Oddities said about the DX's place in the Tourney line up back then. Were they truly more of a GI iron of their day. If so that might explain while I always thought they were more of a sporting goods store line than a pro shop line.

Thanks for the info. This is beginning to become my favorite forum.

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='TraumaKing' timestamp='1330043505' post='4362687']
The Dx and RDX Tourney irons and woods could be ordered with leather or rubber grips there was no "standard" grip they came with.
[/quote]

TK, you could special order them? Were they pro shop clubs? What was RDX and were they different than DX

BTW, your avatar is little creepy,no offense!!

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='memphishorn' timestamp='1330045012' post='4362845']
The Dx and RDX Tourney irons and woods could be ordered with leather or rubber grips there was no "standard" grip they came with.
[/quote]

TK, you could special order them? Were they pro shop clubs? What was RDX and were they different than DX

[/quote]

The RDX were a stp up from the DX ? the RDX had a face that every other line set was blasted alternating with a smooth line / cosmetic ornation / more aggresive lofts and lie. more of a "players club". And yes you could order to suit / fit

The RLDX staming were womens clubs / designation.

[quote name='TraumaKing' timestamp='1330046438' post='4363019']
[quote name='memphishorn' timestamp='1330045012' post='4362845']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The RDX were a stp up from the DX ? the RDX had a face that every other line set was blasted alternating with a smooth line / cosmetic ornation / more aggresive lofts and lie. more of a "players club". And yes you could order to suit / fit

The RLDX staming were womens clubs / designation.
[/quote]

Thanks, I had never heard of the RDX just the DX. Nice avatar upgrade.

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1330954246' post='4439401']
[size="3"]In his book Toney Penna says that that Macgregors main lines were Tommy Armour,Macgregor Tourney (MT) and DX which he explains is engineering abbreviation for distance,suggesting more of a helpful club design,these were their top lines and not store line clubs so your DX's are a quality item.[/size]
[/quote]

Dx line could be ordered from stock with black rubber or black leather with gold bead. I am not familiar with RDX. Designation. There was a cdx2w wood set. It was 1 1/2, brassie spoon CLEEK and five wood.
The DX line was a pro line club for the higher handicap player
CHARLEY PENNA

[size="3"]In his book Toney Penna says that that Macgregors main lines were Tommy Armour,Macgregor Tourney (MT) and DX which he explains is engineering abbreviation for distance,suggesting more of a helpful club design,these were their top lines and not store line clubs so your DX's are a quality item.[/size]
[/quote]

Dx line could be ordered from stock with black rubber or black leather with gold bead. I am not familiar with RDX. Designation. There was a cdx2w wood set. It was 1 1/2, brassie spoon CLEEK and five wood.theDX line was a pro line club designed to help the higher handicap player

CHARLEY PENNA

[quote name='memphishorn' timestamp='1328745429' post='4240999']

[/quote]
It just occurred to me how similar these DX irons look to the MacGregor VIP67 with the TP stamp replacing the DX. I will try to post a pics in a couple days.
B

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1330962472' post='4440185']
[/quote]

Dx line could be ordered from stock with black rubber or black leather with gold bead. I am not familiar with RDX. Designation. There was a cdx2w wood set. It was 1 1/2, brassie spoon CLEEK and five wood.theDX line was a pro line club designed to help the higher handicap player

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Like I said in an earlier post, you guys have debunked what I always thought about the DX line for 40 years. It is an interesting perspective from todays higher handicapper game improvement irons that these would have been that type back in the day.

Based on their size and appearance against today's clubs, I'm sure they will be harder to hit than my MX 25's or X14 PS.

Ironmaster Oddities, I will interested to see the VIP's you are talking about because I had a set of late 60's (67 or 68) VIP's and still have the sand iron.

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

You can see the 67 VIP on the bottom of this stack of blades, it does look a lot like the DX

[quote name='memphishorn' timestamp='1331004865' post='4445255']
[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1330962472' post='4440185']
[/quote]

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Like I said in an earlier post, you guys have debunked what I always thought about the DX line for 40 years. It is an interesting perspective from todays higher handicapper game improvement irons that these would have been that type back in the day.

Based on their size and appearance against today's clubs, I'm sure they will be harder to hit than my MX 25's or X14 PS.

Ironmaster Oddities, I will interested to see the VIP's you are talking about because I had a set of late 60's (67 or 68) VIP's and still have the sand iron.
[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - FYI, more about 'DX; woods:

I purchased used ('61?) DX 1, 3 & 4 Woods in 1963+/- from our local Pro (along with his '61 CF4000 MT1 irons). The Driver was very tall-faced, but the 3 & 4 woods typical flat 'pears'. They came with red inserts and 4-screw 'diamond' layout. Their crowns had the 'DX' logo stampings, in-fill painted, and the narrow sole-plates had 'MacGregor Tourney' stampings. The grips were fancy red leather and 'pattern perforated' (as were his irons) which may have been the Pro's own and not as-delivered by MacGregor. Their serial number (0S5965G) was white, painted on the hosels.

Pictured is the set-matching 2-wood I ordered shortly after (which has since been refinished obliterating the serial number).

The 3-Wood was my go-to up-to 2000 (then came the march of the metals).

Win

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Related to my 'DX' woods post (just above), can anyone shed more light on questions about them.

1. The 3-wood in this ('61?) set came with 'Tourney DX1W' stamped (and infoll white painted) on the sole (between the soleplate and toe). Hopefully it shows in this '80s Polaroid - it's since been covered-up by club pre-refinishing: Since no oiter clubhead in that set showed that marking (or any other stamping like that)::
- - Was that the 3-wood head shape/style code for that head?; or
- - Could that 3-wood have been a separate club 'dressed' to look like the others in the 'DX' set?

2. All the set's woods seem to have, where the face's vertical line meets the sole's horizontal line, only the (angled) bevel of the soleplate to 'soften' that 'edge' angle. Was that 'sharp' face-sole edge characteristic of either MacGregors or 'DXs' at that time, (or would that just have been the order preference of the Pro who bought them (and I later bought from him)?

...hope my questions make sense...

Win