2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

St. George/Mesquite Golf Trip

knockdown9

My family recently purchased a condo in St. George just off the 10th fairway at the St. George Golf Club. Hence the reason for going to St. George and it's a great golf destination. Free room and board means more money for golf. My golf buddies and I are heading down to St. George at the beginning of April for a golf trip. We have our golf itinerary set out, but nothing official yet. I just wanted to get some opinions on some of the courses we have selected. I've only played St. George GC and Falcon Ridge. Liked them both. Would you make a change to any of our selections and why? What have your experiences been on any of these courses? Are there any condition issues to look out for?

Day 1 - The Ledges

Day 2 - morning/St.G GC, afternoon/Sand Hallow

Day 3 - Coral Canyon

Day 4 - morning/St.G GC, afternoon/Sky Mountain

Day 5 - Kokopelli

Day 6 - Sunbrook (all 27)

Three courses that aren't on our list are Wolf Creek, Coyote Springs and Conestoga. We are considering playing one of them, but they are quite expensive during peak season. Feel free to comment on those courses as well.

We are walkers as well. I have confirmed we can walk all the courses we choose except for Kokopelli. Thats not a deal breaker though. I don't mind taking a cart, just not every day. We will probably cart at least one round on the 36 hole days anyways.

Any info or opinions welcomed...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been playing the mesquite/st. george area for the last 6 years. You have a good list, I would consider Oasis Palmer if you get over to mesquite. Sunbrook 27 are ok but the conditioning has been poor the last couple of years we have played there (march). Sandhollow, sky mountain, coral canyon are all great courses.

Hey do yourself a favor and check out these two links

VIP Golf offers some great deals and has a bunch of southern Utah and mesquite and Vegas courses also. If you make more then one trip a year down to St. George this could be a great deal for you. They also have a bunch of courses in British Columbia to play.
http://www.vipgolfusa.com/listings.bpsx?rid=4

The Utah section puts out a discount book for a lot of Utah courses for around $60 you get seven free rounds one each at Sunbrook and Sand Hollow so it is worth the price. You also get a bunch of two for ones and some other discounts at a bunch of southern Utah courses and if you come back in the summer there a bunch of great courses in northern Utah to play.
http://www.vipgolfusa.com/listings.bpsx?rid=4

Otto.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

[quote name='putterzz' timestamp='1328982249' post='4260867']
Been playing the mesquite/st. george area for the last 6 years. You have a good list, I would consider Oasis Palmer if you get over to mesquite. Sunbrook 27 are ok but the conditioning has been poor the last couple of years we have played there (march). Sandhollow, sky mountain, coral canyon are all great courses.
[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up on Sunbrook. I'll have to look into the Oasis Palmer course. We might consider playing Coral a second time too. I've heard nothing but great things about that course.

[quote name='Chef Otto' timestamp='1328998181' post='4262499']
Hey do yourself a favor and check out these two links

VIP Golf offers some great deals and has a bunch of southern Utah and mesquite and Vegas courses also. If you make more then one trip a year down to St. George this could be a great deal for you. They also have a bunch of courses in British Columbia to play.
[url="http://www.vipgolfusa.com/listings.bpsx?rid=4"]http://www.vipgolfus...ings.bpsx?rid=4[/url]

The Utah section puts out a discount book for a lot of Utah courses for around $60 you get seven free rounds one each at Sunbrook and Sand Hollow so it is worth the price. You also get a bunch of two for ones and some other discounts at a bunch of southern Utah courses and if you come back in the summer there a bunch of great courses in northern Utah to play.
[url="http://www.vipgolfusa.com/listings.bpsx?rid=4"]http://www.vipgolfus...ings.bpsx?rid=4[/url]

Otto.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info. I'll be looking into this for sure.

IMO, Coral Canyon is as good as it gets in St. George.

Wolf Creek is one you'll never forget. No way to walk that course though.

Entrada is a good (albeit really tough) course.

I played Kokepelli a few years ago and although it was a fun track it was just so new that there was hardly any grass anywhere. Nothing had grown in yet. That was I think 2 years ago though so I can't speak for it now.

Sunbrook is okay at best. Nothing special about that one.

I enjoyed the Ledges a lot.

For a walker looking for a nice casual 9 holes, there's a track called Dixie Red Hills (or something like that). It's a fun little 9-hole layout, easily walkable, cheap and it's been in great shape every time I've played it. Perfect for a twilight 9.

Have fun! Lot's of great golf in that area.

I've played Wolf Creek twice and it holds the spot of "Coolest" golf experience. I thought the second time it would be a letdown, but I actually enjoyed it more, since I was past the awe of the first go-round. I know it's pricey, but I'd pay that much for a round of golf that memorable. You wouldn't be able to walk it, so if you decide to add it, count on that being a "ride" day.

Coyote Springs, also a very solid course, but like someone else said, a bit of a haul, and at that price point, I'd play Wolf Creek every time.

I'm a regular there so here's my $.02. If your going in April all the courses should be fine but you should really check the conditions. For what ever reason this winter has been hard on the nicer courses. Sand Hollow, Coral Canyon, and Valderra ( the new name for the ledges) are all brown and dead right now. They are in a lot worse shape than any of the other courses there. Almost all of the city courses are in good shape. I played Sunbrooke this weekend and the point and wood bridge were in great shape. IF going to Mesquite you nee d to play Conestoga for sure, It is a great course. And I would try and play Wolf Creek, you need to play it once, and it is better than playing it on X-box. Just not a course that you would want to play dialy. Twoc ohter courses I would recommend in the St. Georege area are Green Springs and Sky Mountain. They are both very good golf courses. Not as spectacular as Sand Hollow or the Ledges, but great courses. Green Springs played form the tips is very challangine. Now Kokopelli. This has the potential to be the best of all the courses in the St. George area, IMO. It all depends on how well the grass ends up growing in and the conditions. I think last summer was thier first true season with the whole course opened. It is a long course, play up a tee if you go there. If you don't get down before April and want any unbiased condition updates PM me and I will give you what info I have. BTW St. George Golf Club is one of my favorite courses to play in the winter, it always seems to be in good shape.

[quote name='Par Fore' timestamp='1329234935' post='4283637']
I'm a regular there so here's my $.02. If your going in April all the courses should be fine but you should really check the conditions. For what ever reason this winter has been hard on the nicer courses. Sand Hollow, Coral Canyon, and Valderra ( the new name for the ledges) are all brown and dead right now. They are in a lot worse shape than any of the other courses there. Almost all of the city courses are in good shape. I played Sunbrooke this weekend and the point and wood bridge were in great shape. IF going to Mesquite you nee d to play Conestoga for sure, It is a great course. And I would try and play Wolf Creek, you need to play it once, and it is better than playing it on X-box. Just not a course that you would want to play dialy. Twoc ohter courses I would recommend in the St. Georege area are Green Springs and Sky Mountain. They are both very good golf courses. Not as spectacular as Sand Hollow or the Ledges, but great courses. Green Springs played form the tips is very challangine. Now Kokopelli. This has the potential to be the best of all the courses in the St. George area, IMO. It all depends on how well the grass ends up growing in and the conditions. I think last summer was thier first true season with the whole course opened. It is a long course, play up a tee if you go there. If you don't get down before April and want any unbiased condition updates PM me and I will give you what info I have. BTW St. George Golf Club is one of my favorite courses to play in the winter, it always seems to be in good shape.
[/quote]

Great info. Hopefully Sand Hollow, Coral and Valderra improve by April. I heard similar thoughts on Kokopelli.... going to be great but needs some time to mature. I played ST. George GC twice over xmas and loved the course. Great layout and the greens were nice to putt on even for december. It's kind of an old fashion course with narrow fairways and smaller greens. Nothing fancy about it, but fun and a good challenge to play. Nice to walk too. Green Spring is one I overlooked. We might have to add in another round.

St. George is a golfers hidden gem. So many great courses at pretty decent prices. Can't wait to get back there!

My parental live in St. George so I am very familiar with the courses are pound there. Here are my thoughts.

Sand Hollow is awesome, fun and challenging, always in great condition and totally fair. Defiinitely play the nine hole links course it is legit and totally different from the champions course. Sand Hollow is my favorite in the area.
Entrada is a great track, but it is definitelynthentoughest course in St. George. It is gorgeous though and the contrast of the green running through the black volcano rock is something that you will not soon forget. If you play there, don't be afraid to leave your driver in the bag and play to a number. Great course.

Valdera at the Ledges is another Greg track that has some amazing views on the back nine. My sister had her wedding here and it is just a great venue. It is always about 5-10 degrees cooler up there so just be aware of that going in. Sometimes this can be a great thing, some times not. But in April it shouldn't be an issue either way. This course is another one that is always in good condition.

Coral Canyon has let itself go in the last few years. A few years ago I would have rated it among the top two or three in St. George, but the last couple of times I played their the conditions weren't great. That being said it is still a really fun course and is still in relatively good condition, just not as good as some of the others around there. It is still a great course with a great layout and one that I still get excited to play it.

Kokopelli is still very new and there are a lot of bare areas. Right now I would say that it is not worth the extra drive to get there, but in a few more years I think this is going to be a really nice course. This would be the only course I would change from your list. However, it is really pretty up there and considerably cooler.

Sky Mountian is a little gem. Not the best course around, but for the price it is hard to beat. It is in good condition and there are a few holes on the back nine that are as nice as any holes on the other, more expensive courses nearby.

Green Springs is a good little muni, but on limited time I would say your time is better spent elsewhere. However, if you have the time and are looking for a fun course that is in pretty good condition and not too expensive than this is a good option.

Sunbrook is overrated in my book. I don't know why but I just haven't been all that impressed when I have played any of the nines there. This coupled with the fact that it's is usually as expensive as some of the other courses that are far better and I usually decide to pass on Sunbrook.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='golfsurfbike' timestamp='1329280642' post='4288869']
My parental live in St. George so I am very familiar with the courses are pound there. Here are my thoughts.

Sand Hollow is awesome, fun and challenging, always in great condition and totally fair. Defiinitely play the nine hole links course it is legit and totally different from the champions course. Sand Hollow is my favorite in the area.
Entrada is a great track, but it is definitelynthentoughest course in St. George. It is gorgeous though and the contrast of the green running through the black volcano rock is something that you will not soon forget. If you play there, don't be afraid to leave your driver in the bag and play to a number. Great course.

Valdera at the Ledges is another Greg track that has some amazing views on the back nine. My sister had her wedding here and it is just a great venue. It is always about 5-10 degrees cooler up there so just be aware of that going in. Sometimes this can be a great thing, some times not. But in April it shouldn't be an issue either way. This course is another one that is always in good condition.

Coral Canyon has let itself go in the last few years. A few years ago I would have rated it among the top two or three in St. George, but the last couple of times I played their the conditions weren't great. That being said it is still a really fun course and is still in relatively good condition, just not as good as some of the others around there. It is still a great course with a great layout and one that I still get excited to play it.

Kokopelli is still very new and there are a lot of bare areas. Right now I would say that it is not worth the extra drive to get there, but in a few more years I think this is going to be a really nice course. This would be the only course I would change from your list. However, it is really pretty up there and considerably cooler.

Sky Mountian is a little gem. Not the best course around, but for the price it is hard to beat. It is in good condition and there are a few holes on the back nine that are as nice as any holes on the other, more expensive courses nearby.

Green Springs is a good little muni, but on limited time I would say your time is better spent elsewhere. However, if you have the time and are looking for a fun course that is in pretty good condition and not too expensive than this is a good option.

Sunbrook is overrated in my book. I don't know why but I just haven't been all that impressed when I have played any of the nines there. This coupled with the fact that it's is usually as expensive as some of the other courses that are far better and I usually decide to pass on Sunbrook.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]
Awesome info. I am thinking of changing kokopelli and sunbrook. Possibly adding in Conestoga and either Sand Hallow or Coral for a second time.

[quote name='CopeSteelers' timestamp='1329586062' post='4316897']
Can't believe no one has mentioned Falcon Ridge in Mesquite! Not the longest track but definitely cheaper than Wolf Creek. Love this course.

Headin down in two weeks to play Sky Mtn, Ledges, and Kokopelli. 18/36/18 an drive home to Salt Lake. Now that's a three day weekend!
[/quote]
Sounds like fun. I played Falcon Ridge over xmas. It was pretty awesome. I want to try something else this time around. If you wouldn't mine, let us know what you thought of the courses and how the conditions were. Cheers!

I've played Coral a couple of times this winter as well as Green Springs and Sky Mountain. All great tracks. Played Kokopelli for the first time three weeks ago. Great layout, but it's still thin in a lot of spots. That being said, I'll definitely play there again. I got my Kokopelli time at teetimes.net and only played $24.00 for 18 with a cart (on a Sunday). Only played Sand Hollow once. Fun layout, but not worth what they charge. The back has some great holes, but I thought the front was pretty "common."

Been going with a large group of 42 and we do one day in St. George and Sand Hallow is the pic. We would love to do more up hat way, but we hang in Mesquite for 2 days and then hit Coyote Spings on the way back to the airport in Vegas.

I would say that Conestogo needed more time....nice layout but it was rock hard and made hazards come into play that should not have.

[quote name='CopeSteelers' timestamp='1329586062' post='4316897']
Can't believe no one has mentioned Falcon Ridge in Mesquite! Not the longest track but definitely cheaper than Wolf Creek. Love this course.

Headin down in two weeks to play Sky Mtn, Ledges, and Kokopelli. 18/36/18 an drive home to Salt Lake. Now that's a three day weekend!
[/quote]

Falcon Ridge is a really fun course. I enjoyed it quite a bit when I played there. It is a great value too.

Golfnow has been having a noon tee time for the Chase at Coyote Springs for $45! I'd jump on that deal. My favorite St. George course is Sand Hollow, play all 27 holes if you can. Hate to hear that the course is brown now, we go in the fall and it was just about perfect. I also enjoyed Kokopelli, kicked my butt, had some dead spots in the fairways, but very quiet and beautiful. Valdosta is always a fun and not so hard course.
IMHO Wolf Creek could be played once, but not at full rack rate.

I little update. Coral Canyon has started to green up, still more brown that green, but it's on it's way. Sky Mountain, Green Springs, and Sun Brooke , ( Woodbridge, and the Point) are in great shape. I haven't been out to Sand Hollow for a bit because last time it was DEAD. There is a rumor that the city had to shut off water to Sand Hollow because of non-payment. I hope that is not the case. They just opened up the new club house, grand opening this week, so I hope it is in better shape now. Some people have mentioned Entrada, it is a great course, but it is private. If yo want to play it yo either need to stay in one of the rentals or know a member so don't plan on just calling for a tee-time. Oh, and Falcon Ridge, played in a couple of weeks a go and it was in GREAT shape. It is a FUN course, lots of elevations change like a mini wolf creek. Challenging from the back tees but very playable if you move up a tee. And you can frind great deals at Falcon using either a local discount care, Dixie Direct, or golfnow.com.

Gookd luck, have fun

So just to fill everyone in and I'll do a review when I return.

Sky Mountain had a deal right now... $47 for $18 including cart and lunch - Thursday

Ledges we are playing 36 (rounding) - $65 and then $20 for re-round. - Friday

Kokopelli Saturday... Deal on utahgolfdeals.com for $80 for 2 players, 18, Cart, lunch.

We are heading down March 1st so the rates are at peak but the prices above are tough to beat. Trying to keep it on the cheap for my buddies who can't afford $100 for 18. They can afford 72 for $172 though. Cheaper than 18 holes at Wolf Creek :)

Sky Mountain had a deal right now... $47 for $18 including cart and lunch - Thursday

Kokopelli Saturday... Deal on utahgolfdeals.com for $80 for 2 players, 18, Cart, lunch.

We are heading down March 1st so the rates are at peak but the prices above are tough to beat. Trying to keep it on the cheap for my buddies who can't afford $100 for 18. They can afford 72 for $172 though. Cheaper than 18 holes at Wolf Creek :)

Be prepared for Kokopelli's carts! Gas Yamaha's that all have the exhaust manifolds broke, no mufflers! Course is rough and eats carts, and balls. A rangefinder and/or GPS will help a bunch. Beautiful course, some thin spots in fairways, great free lunch, take lots of balls. It kicked my butt, I want another chance at it this fall. Hole one is a par 5, dogleg to the right! Another wrong green is much closer and to the left.

Ledges (Valdosta) carts have GPS. Back 9 is pretty, and target golf, clubhouse has great food. Bathrooms are very fancy, according to the wife, the lady's rooms have a sink in each private stall.

[quote name='Par Fore' timestamp='1329962648' post='4354695']
I little update. Coral Canyon has started to green up, still more brown that green, but it's on it's way. Sky Mountain, Green Springs, and Sun Brooke , ( Woodbridge, and the Point) are in great shape. I haven't been out to Sand Hollow for a bit because last time it was DEAD. There is a rumor that the city had to shut off water to Sand Hollow because of non-payment. I hope that is not the case. They just opened up the new club house, grand opening this week, so I hope it is in better shape now. Some people have mentioned Entrada, it is a great course, but it is private. If yo want to play it yo either need to stay in one of the rentals or know a member so don't plan on just calling for a tee-time. Oh, and Falcon Ridge, played in a couple of weeks a go and it was in GREAT shape. It is a FUN course, lots of elevations change like a mini wolf creek. Challenging from the back tees but very playable if you move up a tee. And you can frind great deals at Falcon using either a local discount care, Dixie Direct, or golfnow.com.

Gookd luck, have fun
[/quote]
Thanks for the updates. Hopefully in 4 weeks most of the courses will be nice and green. I think we might hit Falcon Ridge. There are some pretty good deals there and even their twilight rates are quite good.

[quote name='CopeSteelers' timestamp='1330138616' post='4371273']

[/quote]
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the courses.

Played sand hollow on feb 10 and the grass is dormant, but the course is playing at it's absolute best. With the fast and firm conditions, you really need to think about where you hit the ball and where it will roll. Depending on pin location, you need to figure out your best angle and then figure out how to get to that point. Best course and conditions in St G and Mesq area.

Other comments-
Falcon ridge has one of the worst back nines in golf;
Wolf creek- goofy but fun
Coral and koko are decent tracks

[quote name='CP_Circa62' timestamp='1330268359' post='4379235']
Played sand hollow on feb 10 and the grass is dormant, but the course is playing at it's absolute best. With the fast and firm conditions, you really need to think about where you hit the ball and where it will roll. Depending on pin location, you need to figure out your best angle and then figure out how to get to that point. Best course and conditions in St G and Mesq area.

Other comments-
Falcon ridge has one of the worst back nines in golf;
Wolf creek- goofy but fun
Coral and koko are decent tracks
[/quote]

You mention Falcon Ridge has one of the worst back 9s... Condition or layout?

I enjoyed a few of those holes quite a bit... 10 I believe is the uphill hole with the stream in the middle?? Great risk/reward from the tee.

Also there is a Par 5 that the tee is a good 200 feet it seems to where you are hitting. Also the long par 3 on 17 is a beautiful hole.

Just wanted your thoughts......

:russian_roulette:

St. George, Utah

Thursday - High of 52 with 40% chance of RAIN
Friday - HIgh of 50 - 0% Chance of Rain - Sunny
Saturday - High of 62 - 0% Chance of Rain - Sunny

And then next week - Mid 60's to Mid 70's

Saturday should be great but Thursday and Friday, depending on the wind, will be a bit cold... expecially if it rains. Just happens Friday is the day we have Scheduled 36 holes as well... time to pack the same gear I would wear in SALT LAKE CITY for my warm golf vacation with the buddies to SOUTHERN UTAH.

I hate you Golf Gods (You owe me either a hole in one or a Sub par round one of these days)

/rant off