2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf trips with your significant other

Ideas?
Hi everyone,

For all the guys out there that travel with your golf clubs and significant others.....

My wife and I travel alot, but she is pretty much a beginner as a golfer. During our trips I like to play a course here or there while she is at the spa or salon or shopping. What does your S.O do while you are out on the links during a vacation? Any ideas would be appreciated, but please keep it respectful.....

thanks, spin

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My SO plays to a 5, she's somewhat of a fanatic ... we actually go on golf vacations together ... ;)

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I my sleeps, sits on the lanai or sits at the beach. She sometimes will ride and take pictures if its a really nice course.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

back in november we were in florida, played tpc tampa and sawgrass. she was sorta upset when the lady at sawgrass at the counter asked if she would be partaking in the spa treatments. i had no idea about them having a spa treatment but we took our chihuahua with and im afraid it wouldnt have mattered one bit as there was no one to watch the dog.

i wish my wife would get into golf but she doesnt complain about my habit. we are going back to florida soon and after a round last week where i didnt play since the trip in november and couldnt hit one iron shot that i told her i wasnt taking my clubs this time and she pulled out the thermometer from the cabinette. during the round in tampa she went shopping, during the round in jacksonville she went to the beach, no problem on her part or mine allthough it would be great to have her play along side me.

im working on building her a set of snake eyes. took her to the local top golf and all the clubs they say are for woman are for children. my clubs are way to long and heavy for her but the clubs at top golf were for kids, its hard to get her into golf as she doesnt want to waste money on clubs if she isnt gonna like it, i cant get her to like golf with clubs that dont fit her and she struggles to hit, kinda a double edge sword. i plan on building a driver, wood, hybrid, an 3 irons mabe 5 7 9, she can deal with a wedge and putter that i own even if i have to cut it down and extend back later.

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

My wife picked up the game in recent months. I bought her a new set of Callaways to start with. Two Titleist Vokey wedges just the other day. Custom Kari Lajosi putter with pink gripmaster grip. A few pair of FJ shoes, a few clothes she picked out with golf in mind. Frequent lessons with a leading female instructor and 5 time LPGA winner in our area. She even has pink Srixon soft feel balls. lol. Point is, I wanted (needed) her to see that her success on the golf course was just as important as mine. Three months later, we are playing golf. She keeps up pace and if having a bad hole, we let her pick up her drive and start from my drive landing spot. Just the other day at the range, I taught her how to get out of the sand trap. Her putting skills are going through the roof in recent weeks. She knows the rules. She knows the etiquette. I am happy as a gay guy in a pecker tree.

It all started with the fore mentioned. Also, I told her once she started playing golf there was tons of great weekend trips in our area for golfers. Places she would like to go of course. Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Pawley's Island, Charleston, Savannah, Bryson City/Maggie Valley (mountains of NC near Asheville), Florida, Dominican Republic, etc... This was the carrot in front of the donkey so to speak. She now watches The Golf Channel with some modicum of interest. She knows most the players, current and former, and is developing an appreciation (slowly) for the history of the game. Phil, a lefty like her, is her favorite. Also, he treats his wife well and is a nice guy. ha ha... Our first trip will be this spring/summer to the World Golf Hall of Fame in St Augustine,Florida. This was all facilitated by taking her interest in golf as seriously as I take my own. If you want your wife to play golf with you, at home or on getaway trips, set her up for success from the start. Golf is hard enough even with all this offered to the new player.

-Dan

My wife likes palm springs. IF you stay at a nice resort they will have enough for her to do. Most of the courses have many set's of tee's so you can play to 7000 yards or 5500. san francisco could be a fun trip but depends on weather. I am headed to the big island in a couple months and that seem like a good idea but outside of golf we are going to be doing outdoor stuff.

What does my wife do? pool, shopping, spa, I try to get her to ride along for 9 holes if it's a nice course. What other hobbies does your wife have? any sports like tennis, bike riding? Some of the resorts have nice gym's.

What does my wife do..... She says and I quote "if you want ot get up at 6 to hit a stupid white ball around on your vacation, have fun!". She would rather sit at pool, shop or head to the spa. Resort is key, probably not good if you stay at the No tell motel in Myrtle :russian_roulette:

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

OP,

I'm in the same boat as you. My wife is a decent athlete but a beginner at golf. She can make contact and get the ball out there. However putting and chipping is another story.

On vacations our plan is that one round I'll play as a single at a very nice course, while she has a spa or shopping day. And on another day, we'll play together at a decent course during twilight.

It's the best of both worlds, I get to have my one serious round, and another laid back round. When I play with my wife I'll usually play from the ladies tees with her and just hit irons off the tees.

Prince Edward Island. My wife doesn't golf and we spent our honeymoon there. We spent all of our time together, given the circumstances, but if it were just a vacation there are plenty of things for your S.O. to do if you choose to play golf. Place seems perfect for that scenario...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='SpinMill75' timestamp='1329085520' post='4269613']
Hi everyone,

For all the guys out there that travel with your golf clubs and significant others.....

My wife and I travel alot, but she is pretty much a beginner as a golfer. During our trips I like to play a course here or there while she is at the spa or salon or shopping. What does your S.O do while you are out on the links during a vacation? Any ideas would be appreciated, but please keep it respectful.....

thanks, spin
[/quote]

Same here - my wife plays but doesn't care about the game as much as I'd like. Nevertheless - we have a great time together (and with our kid) but we make sure that wherever we go there is something for everyone in case we can't play golf (due to weather) or simply b/c we don't feel like it.

If you like spas/family/golf - Sea Island, GA is tremendous. You can do everything as a family, or do lots of things separately - and all have a great time without feeling guilty. They have a great combination of golf/spa/kids stuff going on all the time. If you want to stay on the west coast, La Quinta in Palm Springs is actually very nice. Pebble Beach is also nice - depending when you go, and a bit pricey. Arizona Biltmore or Camelback is also sort of close to you. And Las Vegas is surprisingly kid-friendly lots of nice places; great shopping, great golf, great shows, great food...and I don't gamble. :) It probably offers the best value for things to do/location. Stay on the strip; and it's within driving distance of a bazillion nice courses.

Personally - I think vacation is "family time first" - and no matter how nice the course - it doesn't beat time with my family making memories that will last a lifetime. Playing together while your wife is learning will yield a better relationship over the long haul, than ditching them to go off and try to shoot a good personal score IMO.

Have fun!

My wife loves to read and sit by a swimming pool in warm weather. I got paired with the same guy two days in a row in Scottsdale. He was a high roller. The deal he had with his wife was that he got to play golf every morning on their trip and his wife got to go shopping as that was her favorite activity. He told me stories of all the fancy places they had visited. I'm lucky my wife prefers to read over shopping.

My wife and I have been together for 14 years and take roughly three vacations per year. We have played golf on every single vacation, the most being eight rounds in a week. We have settled into a routine the last few years of me playing 4-5 times per week and her playing 2-3 times. We have been on golf trips to Scottsdale (multiple times), Tucson, Palm Springs, San Diego, Myrtle (multiple), Alabama (multiple), Tampa, Orlando (many), Port St. Lucie, Sarasota, Destin (multiple), Vero Beach, Amelia Island, Reynolds Plantation, Aruba, Northern Michigan (many), Nemacolin, Chicago (multiple), Galena Illinois, Tennessee, and probably a few others I can't recall right now.

For conditioning, nothing beats the desert. For pure golf quality, nothing beats Northern Michigan, nothing. There are 25-30 world-class courses in Northern Michigan. But our favorite place is Destin. The golf is average compared to the other places we've been, but the beach is the absolute best (maybe tied with Sarasota) and she doesn't mind me sneaking away to play without her. My recommendation would be to stay in a high-rise on the beach so you can be right there and not have to worry about driving. Camp Creek is the best course in the Destin area and McGuire's is the best restaurant.

Good luck.