2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

"Mythical" Tour HiBore

If noone plays it, can there be a "tour" version?
First of all, I am not a Cleveland hater and I am a HUGE Vijay fan.

BUT - I have seen repeated references to the "Tour" version of the HiBore. Furhtermore, I have seen "tour" heads on sale for a significant amount of money.

In my mind, there cannot be a "tour" version of the HiBore until Cleveland manages to get its staff players to put it in their bags - every week.

If it isn't good enough for Vijay, Toms, or other Cleveland staffers, why would anyone play $500 for a head?

HiBore defenders say: "Well - you just have to get fit to properly!!"

I say: Cleveland has an entire van, every shaft known to man, and every variation of the HiBore available at every tour stop. They have a trackman and trained fitters available at almost all hourse. They have the best builders they can hire. With all this, Cleveland cannot get any of the name players "fit properly?"

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of "tour" clubs that no one on tour plays... that is NOT a prereq.

I had a "Tour HiBore" and it was very nice, but I think I needed a 6.5 or maybe a 7.5 loft to live with it...I hit my 9.5 to the moon and then some and no I dont have any for sale.. :pimp:

Someone is pumping...and having trouble dumping :)

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

BUT - I have seen repeated references to the "Tour" version of the HiBore. Furhtermore, I have seen "tour" heads on sale for a significant amount of money.

In my mind, there cannot be a "tour" version of the HiBore until Cleveland manages to get its staff players to put it in their bags - every week.

If it isn't good enough for Vijay, Toms, or other Cleveland staffers, why would anyone play $500 for a head?

I say: Cleveland has an entire van, every shaft known to man, and every variation of the HiBore available at every tour stop. They have a trackman and trained fitters available at almost all hourse. They have the best builders they can hire. With all this, Cleveland cannot get any of the name players "fit properly?"

The Hibore is very hard to work left or right, it wants to go straight. This may be a reason the pros are reluctant to play it, they can't bend it around doglegs.

Or as Johnny says, the launch angles, even on the tours are so high that most pros are hitting it too high, regardless of loft or shaft.

As for the "pump and dump", you know who has a thread on how great the tour Hibore is and how it's not getting enough respect. As long as it has a Lime green Ozik, with anything else it sucks of course.

Help me remember what driver was VJ playing for his win this year??? He then switched back to another driver (Comp I believe) and hasn't played worth a crap since.

I don't have an exact count, but I would guess Vijay is playing the Comp about 80-90% of the time. Saying he hasn't played worth crap is a little bit of an overstatement. Third on the money list isn't bad.

Bottom line - Cleveland hasn't been able to get any of its major staff players to put the HiBore in their bag for an extended period of time. Look at the TM staffers - almost ALL of them are moving to newer models in their bag. Indeed, the only debate seems to be 425 or 460 R7. Cally Nike Titleist and Ping - same thing. Each of them might have a few guys who love their older models, but they are the exception. With the HiBore, they are the rule.

yes one you are correct, the other staffers are moving towards the new stuff, but with the exception of nike, they've all had traditional drivers with traditional flights etc. replacing the old ones. even with the odd shape of the SQ it still retains a somewhat normal launch angle etc. The hibore is a much more drastic change to adapt to with its different look, different spin, lack of workability, etc. it is not the same as switching from a 905s to a 905R which retain same shape etc.

Help me remember what driver was VJ playing for his win this year??? He then switched back to another driver (Comp I believe) and hasn't played worth a crap since.

I don't have an exact count, but I would guess Vijay is playing the Comp about 80-90% of the time. Saying he hasn't played worth crap is a little bit of an overstatement. Third on the money list isn't bad.

Bottom line - Cleveland hasn't been able to get any of its major staff players to put the HiBore in their bag for an extended period of time. Look at the TM staffers - almost ALL of them are moving to newer models in their bag. Indeed, the only debate seems to be 425 or 460 R7. Cally Nike Titleist and Ping - same thing. Each of them might have a few guys who love their older models, but they are the exception. With the HiBore, they are the rule.

Check the number of tournaments he has entered versus say Tiger---he should be high up on the money list. Still trying to recall all of his wins this year.

The trajectory is VERY high, and is outside most players "window" leading to the belief the ball is ballooning... additionally its a low spin head, so for me (and alot of players) the ball falls out of the sky, as I need spin... The Hi Bore fits the bill for a high spin player-- but again the trajectory window LOOKS wrong... and it has to be hit center face or forget it (anything top 1/3 rattles your teeth).... Throw in the fact it feels tinny, looks funky, and is straighter than it is longer and you have a recipe for a poor selling club.... Now, its only the first year of release so maybe the shortcomings can be ironed out by Cleveland with some more R&D... the technology makes sense... and its ugly but not FTi ugly or Sumo ugly where one couldn't adjust if it performed... so lets see what the next generation brings...

You guy's can grill or slam the Hi-Bore a you want-

It works for me & a BUNCH of players around here. I saw 3 in play this past Nationwide event, one which justs smashes the ball.

There are Tour Hi-Bores and Cleveland is coming out with a new version to accomadate player's feedback for the next year. The current Hi-bor is well liked by a few players but, not that much on Tour. Most went back to the Comp after trying the Hi-bor. I'm sure they'll give the new version of it a try. Cleveland Tour items are notorious for not bring the $$$ like TM or Titleist gear. Thus not that much demand or seen in the BSTs.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Gx,

didn't mean to come across that way

It works for alot of very good players that I know--some which play Professional Golf for a living. In my area Cleveland has built a VERY strong relationship with the Club guys, which translate to amateurs. less than 1% of golfers could care less what they play on tour, 99% go off what they see against one anther when playing. The fact is---we have some damn good players locally & that's what wins the bag count around here

Your feedback is appreciated. Learning they have guys playing it on the NW tour is good to find out about.

BTW - most of my rant was focused on the market for so-called "tour" clubheads at incredible prices. First of all, it is debatable if the "tour" heads are really different. Secondly, they aren't really being played on tour by anyone.

Why anyone would pay $1,500 for a "tour" HiBore with an "exotic" shaft is totally beyond me.

Yeah, and remember what club he used to tee off with the most. Yep- you guessed it- his 3 WOOD. :)

But he did have the Hi-Bore IN the bag at least... :pimp:

On the range at the Tour Championship today there were several Hi-Bore's that were being shown to the Cleveland staffers. I never saw Vijay hit it, he looked at several different ones but I never saw him actually hit one. David Toms hit 3 different ones but each time handed them back and didn't seem to like them by the expression on his face and he only hit one or two balls with each.

I think it is just funny how the main problem that people are haveing is the fact that the Hibore wants to go too straight. That players can't work the ball the way that they would like.

All that I read about the new Sumo and Cally Squared clubs are that they will be the straightest clubs out there. If that is the case, then It would seam that they will fall the same fate as a Hibore. Ball goes too straight and the pros can't work them enough.

Hibore changed first makeing a driver that goes straight, and now the rest are trying to follow with their own version.

well you can sell them for 549 each when you get in a dumped load of heads, heck there is a retail Edwin Watts store with brand new Txxx serialed HiBores for 199.99 each right now and 79.99 each on Txxx stamped Halo rescues.......so it shows you why all of sudden there is a big rage over this driver on the other side of things :pimp: :)

well you can sell them for 549 each when you get in a dumped load of heads, heck there is a retail Edwin Watts store with brand new Txxx serialed HiBores for 199.99 each right now and 79.99 each on Txxx stamped Halo rescues.......so it shows you why all of sudden there is a big rage over this driver on the other side of things :pimp: :)

probably got them from watts himself... anyways.. he's not selling any at the price regardless.. I sold mine for 375 near the hey day and had problems selling at that price.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

On the range at the Tour Championship today there were several Hi-Bore's that were being shown to the Cleveland staffers. I never saw Vijay hit it, he looked at several different ones but I never saw him actually hit one. David Toms hit 3 different ones but each time handed them back and didn't seem to like them by the expression on his face and he only hit one or two balls with each.

That's an excellent first-hand report. I'm trying to envision Toms' face now. :pimp: :)

Thanks!

probably got them from watts himself... anyways.. he's not selling any at the price regardless.. I sold mine for 375 near the hey day and had problems selling at that price.

I just noticed your profile quote. The Dorksticks comment is priceless.