2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade R5 Dual N

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

my swing speed is 93-95 and typical ball flight is a high fade...the harder i hit the ball, the higher it went...

got an 8.5 r5 dual N w/stiff aldila nv 65 s (?) (green shaft) and i'm smoking it...still hitting a fade which i'm fine with but w/a more boring trajectory...love it...

RBallz Tour 10.5
3w G20, 5w rktballz2
19* Xhot
4-PW I20 KBS Tour S
Sabertooth w/Superstroke
52* 588RTX CB, 58* Vokey

• 2 weeks later...

my swing speed is 93-95 and typical ball flight is a high fade...the harder i hit the ball, the higher it went...

got an 8.5 r5 dual N w/stiff aldila nv 65 s (?) (green shaft) and i'm smoking it...still hitting a fade which i'm fine with but w/a more boring trajectory...love it...

17860[/snapback]

i have the 9.5 with aldila nv 65, it replaced a 540xd gd ys 6, right now i have played with 5 times, it is getting better each time, i took it to local clubmaker and he said this shaft was for a 95 mph swing, i have a 105 mp, so i have to swing easy. seems to want to go right all the time, i am going to give it a few more weeks

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

• 2 weeks later...

have had it for a couple of weeks. Not yet played it. From the balls I have hit at the range the tour issued head has great forgiveness, thud sound like the older Titleist and a lower trajetory than the typical 10.5's I have hit. I will report more after I play it. Great first impression. I think there is a lengthy review in the tour forum. Click the "golfwrx.com" link on the top, or use our Right click Navigation to find the tour section.

• 2 weeks later...

I own an R5-N, 9.5*, recently re-shafted with an ACCRA T60 M5. Here's my review:

PREFACE: I don't need to preface the R7/R5 series. Everyone knows about their tour performance, and the success of this club. I was very curious to see if the weight changes would actually work on the course, and see what the hype is all about. I did notice the Taylor made rep did not have any 580-series drivers at all - obviously, they're marketing the R7/R5's, and getting ready to phase out the 580 series.

APPEARANCE: I love the appearance of the R7. I'm an engineer by schooling, and I find beauty in mechanically-crafted items like the R7. It looks modern, purposeful, and very technical, with it's weight ports. Some people find this a gimmicky solution (like the Callaway folks!), but I like the concept of changing weights to suit your swing. The R5 weight ports are fixed, and are not changeable. I have heard that the weight ports in the R5 are purely cosmetic, but I cannot verify that.

FEEL/PERFORMANCE: Ta-DA! The R7 "Tour" TP with a Fujikura 757 shaft was ROCKING for me in the morning! I was smashing drives straight, long, and perfectly straight! I have no idea what combination was working for me (the drivers was setup in the "neutral" weighting configuration), but I absolutely loved it. I tried a couple of other R7's with different weight port configurations, but they all seems to perform very well for me. One of the drivers in a "fade" configuration was not working well, which lead me to believe that yes - the weight port concept actually works!

R5 Neutral - I liked this club very much, the feeling at impact, sound, and distance/performance seems very good, but I did find myself losing some drives to the right. If you like to work the ball, and want to save some $$$, this may be the driver for you.

R5 Draw - Awesome! This club hit straight for me EVERY TIME. The face felt good, the shot pattern was very straight, long, and penetrating. And………I couldn't slice/fade it. This club was fitting me perfectly at the end of the day, even better than the R7 TP/Fuji 757 combination I was hitting earlier in the day. However - you must be careful about closing the clubface on the downswing - a closed clubface with the R5-D will result in a straight left shot.

SUMMARY: The weight port concept is NOT a gimmick, IMO. I tested a few different R7's, and the two different R5's, and I can honestly say that moving weight around in the clubhead DOES work to assist your swing and product desired results, especially for a draw/fade bias. As far as high/low bias - I did not notice consistent results in this manner - my swing is not consistent enough to generate accurate testing data towards validating the high/low bias.

Sound - Moving the weight ports in the R7 does indeed make this club sound and feel different. If I tried the larger weights in the extreme left/right of the club, the club sounds differently. The R5's reward you with a very nice "WHACK" sound that is higher pitched, but very satisfying.

In short - Taylormade had a winner here. I liked these clubs a lot, and since my swing DOES change, I can see some value in having the moveable weight ports. Time will tell if the durability of this system will last, but it truly draws a lot of attention from golfers. I ended up purchasing a R5-Neutral, with a spined OEM MAS2 Stiff flex, firm tip shaft. This shaft is made by Fujikura, and seems to perform well for me so far.

IMO this is the best driver on the market today.

Mine is shafted with a Rombax, and it is the longest driver that I have ever played. Also, it is the most forgiving.

Most impressive, however, is the solid feel - just slightly more hollow than the venerable R510.

The only negative is that it still has that roundish TM driver shape. It does hide its size well, however.

Get One! Now!

BJL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have the R5 N 9.5 - Speeder 757 Tour Stiff

Longest and most accurate driver I have ever hit.

I have the same, and I like this driver a lot. It is hard to tell how much of the performance is due to the shaft, and how much is from the head. Previously I had a 983K with a Prolite 35, which I also happened to like. I don't think the new combo is much longer than the previous one, but it is easier to hit. I tend to be a high spin player, and this combo has taken some of it out making my shots straighter in general. Swing speed is 113 or so, next time I might try an X flex. The face on the club appears to be slightly closed, which I don't really like since I am a right to left player, but it is not super closed. I think that is probably my only complaint.

• 4 months later...

After countless club fitting sessions at my local Golfsmith, I purchased one in a 9.5* with a Speeder 757 stiff shaft. Drivers I have gone through includes the Callaway 454, R5 D, R5 TP N, Callaway X460 and the FT3.

I am still trying to get used to the heavier weight of the shaft but overall, the setup works well with my swing. Shot dispersion is tight. I am currently working on trying to delay my release to generate more power and when I am able to nut it---the ball sure travels far.

For some reason, my level of confidence is higher with TM drivers and this is a keeper, so far! :)

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to improve the equipment in my bag. I play with my dads old spalding executives. I can't hit those old persimmon woods more than 150 yards, so I just left them out of the bag. After some research I decided to order an R5.

I received my R5 N 10.5 driver with Aldila NV65 Regular shaft today and had to rush to the range to try it out. I was completely blown away by it! My first swing went 250 yards straight out! This club is unbelievably forgiving. No slices or hooks. Even when I had a lousy swing, it saved me. Suddenly, driving seems almost too easy! I can't wait to play a round with it. :cheesy:

• 6 months later...

I got a R5 N 9.5 w\Graffaloy Blue stiff shaft. I havent tried that many drivers but i like this one somewhat. I find that the shot dispersion is pretty tight and taylormade drivers are the only ones i find pleasing to the eye. Cobras are terrible looking, clevelands are to empty feeling,i always hit the callaways right, nikes are ok. I might find myself swithching as the season starts cause there are so many new things out. Oh, it is a very forgiving driver, it is almost wrong that you can miss by so much and still bomb it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the R5 Dual, 10.5 Stiff, with stock shaft.. I really love this club. I'm thinking of upgrading the shaft to a V2. anyone done this or recommend a different shaft?

Driver:  TourEdge Exotic Pro 10.5 with NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiff
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 5-PW , w/SteelFiber i125
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - 52 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34in
BallsTaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

TESTING: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.

• 8 years later...

[quote name='jazzbone' timestamp='1156469303' post='270267'] I'm trying to improve the equipment in my bag. I play with my dads old spalding executives. I can't hit those old persimmon woods more than 150 yards, so I just left them out of the bag. After some research I decided to order an R5. I received my R5 N 10.5 driver with Aldila NV65 Regular shaft today and had to rush to the range to try it out. I was completely blown away by it! My first swing went 250 yards straight out! This club is unbelievably forgiving. No slices or hooks. Even when I had a lousy swing, it saved me. Suddenly, driving seems almost too easy! I can't wait to play a round with it. :cheesy: [/quote]

While not as long hitter, I have had the same response with the same head/shaft combo...only this....I haven't played much this past year since finding this driver, and so it sits in the bag waiting for when I play regularly, while the 580xd with the easier swinging lighter shaft is in play these days playing once or twice a month...both are keepers of course....

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]