2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

death

dannyjgolf

whats your take on....
hey guys, had a relative die the other die. just brought up a few thoughts about what is life and all the usual stuff. whats your take on life? weird to think everyone reading or writing on this forum will one day be gone. lol i know this is a bit off topic just thought id ask everyones opinion on the matter, cause im sure wrestling with it at the moment... hehe

thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The old cliche of 'Live Everyday Like It's Your Last' still holds true. Enjoy life and treat people the way you would want them to treat you. From your post it sounds like you were close to this relative, so remember them fondly and then go out and play as much golf as you can. I'm sure thats what they would want you to do. ;)

Driver - Cleveland Launcher Turbo 10.5* Miyazaki 5R
Hybrid - Cleveland Halo #2 16* Miyazaki 6R
Irons - Cleveland CBX 4-PW Miyazaki 6R
Wedges - Cleveland CBX 50* & 54* Rotex
Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Ball - Srixon Z-Star

I prefer to look at is from a Buddhist/Christian standpoint. It is going to happen, as it is a part of life. Call it karma or just doing the right thing, but eventually you will have to pay the piper for how you lived. 4 Noble Truths and the 8-Fold Noble Path have a lot of good things to say and are the basis of Theravada Buddhism.

The 1st Noble Truth: There are many dissatisfactions in our life.

The first impression people get from a statement like that is that is it is very pessimistic! It is important to note that the Buddha is not saying that there is only dissatisfaction in life. He is just describing what, precisely, is problematic.

The 2nd Noble Truth: There is a cause to these dissatisfactions.

The 2nd Noble Truth tells us about the causes of these dissatisfactions. Craving and Aversion (Greed and Hatred). It is the dissatisfaction with the present that we want to reach out for something else out of Ignorance. We are thus never truly at peace.

The 3rd Noble Truth: There is a way out of these dissatisfactions.

There is a way out of suffering- this is the reason why Buddhism exists! In Buddhism, we call this state, the complete end of suffering, Nirvana. It is the goal of all Buddhists. The next Noble Truth tell us how to reach this state,

The 4th Noble Truth: The Noble 8 Foldpath.

The 4th Noble Truth provides us with a path and teaches us what practical steps to take in order to attain Nirvana.

8 Fold Path:

Good Conduct

Buddhist ethics is not a rigid moral code. Nor are they about making judgements and arousing guilt. Rather, Buddhists try to be aware of a particular failing and resolves to do better, striving diligently to live up to Good Conduct.

Right Speech is about not telling lies, avoiding harsh speech, slandering and back-biting. Generally it is about not using our speech faculties in harmful and unproductive ways.

Right Action deals with our behaviour. To live a life where our actions are conducive to the happiness of ourselves and those around us. A lay person may, as part of their commitment to the Buddha's Way,observe the Five Precepts.

Right Livelihood. A good Buddhist does not compromises his integrity by becoming involved in any activities that harm other people, animals or the environment.

Mental Development

Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration bring us fully into the heart of meditation. Meditation is a gradual process of training the Mind to focus on a single object and to remain fixed upon that object without wavering. Constant practice of meditation helps us to develop a calm and concentrated mind. It is important to note that one needs a qualified teacher to guide one when one begins meditation.

Right Effort is required if we are to advance steadily on the spiritual path. It is important to note that spending too much energy, like using too little energy, can also be counter-productive.

Wisdom

Right Understanding refers to the need to understand, both in theory and practice, the Buddha's teachings, testing them against our experiences. Only then can sound faith and confidence arise.

Right Thought is that which motivates our practice- the right reasons. Practice is not for acquiring greater power or wealth, but to advance on the Buddha's path towards Enlightenment and True Happiness for one and all.

It's at times like these you know there is more to life / existing than just being here on earth for a short time. I think it would be hard to refute that there is going to be an afterlife.

Virtually all religions acknowledge this, and they all virtually come down to two things: Love your God and Love Others. Now I have the one that I staunchly believe is true, but the point is, that at this point in your life, you need to search to find out which one is true and fundamental and backed by historical finding and fact.

This is your time to search in life, do it diligently.

...................they all virtually come down to two things: Love your God and Love Others. ..................../quote]

I agree with this post (mostly), but I often struggle with the concept of an afterlife. I don't focus on "living each day to the max", or other things of that nature. My belief is that we are organisms that are all sharing this wonderful planet………..and we should learn to treat each other correctly, and live our life as happy as we can, enjoy others' company, and treat the planet with respect.

However - none of us last forever, and like plants and other animals…….we will pass away someday. While we're alive, we've all got to live the best and most satisfying life we can, but it is my opinion that we don't always necessarily have to have a "life purpose" to do so.

My take on death is this: I am right with the world, I have lived very well and I have come to terms with the things that I regret doing. I will not lay on my death bed sad for the things that I have not done or at least attempted to do, nor will I be full of remorse for things that I have done and would have rather not. I do however hope that life lasts long enough for me to break 70 at least once.

So my feelings on death are based upon my feelings on life, be right with God and be right with yourself. Find the situations in life you need to be happy and if the situations you need do not exist, make them. Never settle for less than what you are actually capable of and when you attain what you are capable of do a little bit more. When your days come to end, you can reflect on the fact that "you actually lived". Death is simply a fact of life and embracing it rather than fearing it, creates one hell of a reason to go out and live.

All of us wrestle with this at some point in our lives. Usually when we lose someone close. (I lost my father

to cancer 3yrs ago). We start looking at our lives and others close to us and realize just how short our time

here on this earth. The Bible gives several examples of how short it is when it describes life as a "vapor"

here for an instant, and gone. But there is good news. Jesus said those who believe in him, would not

perish, but have everlasting life. You asked for our thoughts on this, and this is mine. That Jesus christ

came to this earth to die for our sins, on the third day be raised from the dead, and lives at the right hand

of the Father. And i know without a shadow of a doubt, that i will spend eternity in heaven with him.

I hope you can find some comfort in this.

Good words, Rweeks.

When I think of the fact that God came looking for us, taking on human form and yet remaining fully God, and then paying a price that I could never have paid myself--in effect, conquering death--it makes the thought of my own death seem "just another piece of His will for me."

I totally respect the fact that there are many on these boards who see life through a different lens. For me, however, Jesus Christ represents the finest example of manhood and "living a purpose-driven life" than anyone in history. Tiger Woods (who the media seem to have elevated to the status of "god") is, in comparison, a mere mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. So are we all.

Fortunately, a price was paid to offer us (even T-Dub!) a free lifetime greens fee in eternity, and I suspect that in that place, those greens will make Augusta National look like a cow pasture. T-Dub, of course, would likely still win all the majors.

Only visiting this planet,

-Ray

This is an interesting topic because it brings religion into the discussion, and this can be a very taboo topic in a public forum. But, regardless of one's faith, each person has his/her own views of what happens when you pass.

My father died a little over a year ago at just under 59 years of age, and it was a sudden loss. I've had all that time to reflect on life in general and what I've come to understand is that, for me, physical death is not the end-all. Sure, my Dad isn't here any more physically, and he won't be sitting at our table tomorrow for Thanksgiving, but I will be sharing it with him just as I share everything, every day. His spirit lives on in me, my brother, my daughter, etc.

As a Christian, I believe that there is eternal life, albeit the physical part is for a short period of time. I also believe that God has a plan for me, and that it's in His hands. I try to live a good life, and by that I mean that I try to respect others and treat people the way I'd like to be treated. I'm not perfect and have erred many times, but I do my best to make things right.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Pretty heady stuff for a golf forum. Organized religion is not getting it done for me. Although, I do believe that Jesus was a highly enlightened dude. Was he the son of God? Are we all not the son of God?

Quantum physics/mechanics answers a lot of these questions.

I'm not going to get sucked into a religious debate, but jesus is the son of God. and his exsistance has been

proven by some of the top physicist's/scientists in the world.

hey guys, had a relative die the other die. just brought up a few thoughts about what is life and all the usual stuff. whats your take on life? weird to think everyone reading or writing on this forum will one day be gone. lol i know this is a bit off topic just thought id ask everyones opinion on the matter, cause im sure wrestling with it at the moment... hehe

thanks

There is certainly much that I don't know about life or death for that matter...but I prefer to look at it like this...when you are playing that all important game of golf, do you think about the score, what you are going to shoot....or do you keep in the now, enjoy the view, and continue to march. :stop:

Just remember, there is a time and a place for everything, it just so happens to be your time. You have my condolences in your recent lose, and may you find peace at the end of your soul searching. ;)

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Its a big weekend for the US guys and gals and marks the beginning of the Holiday Seasons. Let's focus on the good parts of life! Deeper discussion can be had via PMs.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk