2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

How to tell if you are playing a public course...

[quote name='Tim Delgado' timestamp='1337750707' post='4962954']:wacko: You must play an entirely different type of private course than I do.

I am very jealous of my friends that are members of the best private courses in my area (Houston).

While I am fortunate to play these courses often, it would be GREAT to be a member.

I think you are kidding yourself if you really thing golf at a public course (other than the very high-end public tracks that are effectively private-by-price) is anywhere CLOSE to as nice as playing perfect greens that members actually take care of, receiving great service, and not seeing trash all over the place.

I'll take the private course every time and twice on Sunday! :lol:

Tim
[/quote]

Your kidding YOURself if you think just because a course is private the conditions are automatically better.

I've played on two different private course this year, and the best greens I've played on are at Poland Spring...public.

It all boils down to the crew, and whether they're competent and motivated, and whether or not the membership even notices or cares.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1337779283' post='4963786']
[quote name='Tim Delgado' timestamp='1337750707' post='4962954']:wacko: You must play an entirely different type of private course than I do.

I am very jealous of my friends that are members of the best private courses in my area (Houston).

While I am fortunate to play these courses often, it would be GREAT to be a member.

I think you are kidding yourself if you really thing golf at a public course (other than the very high-end public tracks that are effectively private-by-price) is anywhere CLOSE to as nice as playing perfect greens that members actually take care of, receiving great service, and not seeing trash all over the place.

Tim
[/quote]

Your kidding YOURself if you think just because a course is private the conditions are automatically better.

I've played on two different private course this year, and the best greens I've played on are at Poland Spring...public.

It all boils down to the crew, and whether they're competent and motivated, and whether or not the membership even notices or cares.
[/quote]

And nowadays add "And whether there's any money to pay for top-level maintenance". Some of the members at my club take great pride that our bunkers are all power-raked every single day (except Mondays when the course is closed) even as the club is struggling with finances.

For my part, I'd gladly see them power-rake say nine of the 27 holes each day and save a good few dollars of labor costs. And if the current wintry economic climate continues, that will have to happen eventually.

Public or private, there's not nearly as many courses as there were a decade ago where Cost Is No Object when it comes to conditioning and maintenance.

Sheesh... I'm surprised to hear about this[i] "Changing shoes in the parking lot"[/i] Civil War going on here.

I'm with the ones who change shoes in the parking lot. Actually, it's not until this thread that I've ever heard about this being frowned upon anywhere... including several very nice private places I've played.

Some of you people are weird or uptight.... or weird and uptight.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1337779029' post='4963778']
I think that is highly location dependent, [i]sigmapete1[/i]. In my neck of the woods the private ranges from what you might ball "high end" down to maybe a notch or two nicer than the $15 public courses. And the public courses range from those $15 goat tracks up to places every bit as nice as any of the privates.

Now in fact, most of the nicer non-private course were once private and turned public because our area is seriously overbuilt with private courses given the number of potential members around here. There's one place where I used to be a member, the owner went bankrupt after running off most of the membership by raising the monthly dues from $200 to $400 and announcing he was taking the club High End. Never happened, it was somewhere between "Pretty Good" and "High End" for maybe 4-5 months before he went belly-up. Now you can play there for under $40/round with cart on weekdays and the course is maintained in approximately the same condition as when I used to be one of those $200/month members.
[/quote]

Can't disagree with you there. Where I live now has some real nice county courses. Where I grew up most certainly did not. It's definitely location dependent. Were I to move to an area with no nice publics, maybe it would be worth it to go private.

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1337779283' post='4963786']

Tim
[/quote]

[/quote]

Vin have you ever played the woodlands? That course is absolutely beautiful, or it was when I was there a couple of years ago anyway. I played it for $20 because of the Maine Junior Tour :yahoo:

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

The biggest thing private-course membership buys us around here is being able to play on prime-season weekend mornings, walking. Heck even a few of the non-member-owned privates require you to not only pay for but sit your behind in a golf cart if you want a prime tee time.

A couple decades ago I played public courses and walked every round. As my options got fewer and fewer for courses allowing me to do that (or I should say "allowing me to do it any time I liked") I coughed up the extra dosh for joining a private club. If I went back to the publics now there are a lot of aspects I'd miss but that's the one that would be a deal-killer at most courses.

[quote name='Mulligan26' timestamp='1337780158' post='4963868']Vin have you ever played the woodlands? That course is absolutely beautiful, or it was when I was there a couple of years ago anyway. I played it for $20 because of the Maine Junior Tour :yahoo:
[/quote]

I have not, because I'm relatively new to this area. We lived downeast (Bar Harbor) for the last 14 years or so. And I'm not sure I know any members there. Got on Falmouth CC and Portland CC via a college friend's brother who is asst pro at Portland. I'm sure it's nice. Falmouth is pretty swanky for Maine...

But that's funny because the CC I grew up on was Woodland CC in Newton, MA

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1337781002' post='4963954']
The biggest thing private-course membership buys us around here is being able to play on prime-season weekend mornings, walking. Heck even a few of the non-member-owned privates require you to not only pay for but sit your behind in a golf cart if you want a prime tee time.

A couple decades ago I played public courses and walked every round. As my options got fewer and fewer for courses allowing me to do that (or I should say "allowing me to do it any time I liked") I coughed up the extra dosh for joining a private club. If I went back to the publics now there are a lot of aspects I'd miss but that's the one that would be a deal-killer at most courses.
[/quote]

This is a good point. The big question people have with paying a greens fee membership at a public course is....what's the advantage? So some courses here, the aforementioned Poland Spring as an example, have members only tee times between 7-9:30 am on weekends.

That's a pretty big selling point for family type guys or fellas that want to have the rest of their day back....

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

No private courses where I live. I have a membership at our local public course. I dont work summers and golf everyday.

Callaway Epic Speed - Diamana BF 60TX
Callaway Epic Speed 16.5FW - Diamana BF 70TX
Callaway XForged '18 UT 21* - PX 6.5
Callaway XForged '18 4i 5i 6i - PX 6.5
Callaway Apex MB '18 7i 8i 9i PW - PX 6.5
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 52S* PX 6.0 - 56C* PX 6.0 - 60X* PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1337781802' post='4964028']
[quote name='Mulligan26' timestamp='1337780158' post='4963868']Vin have you ever played the woodlands? T
[/quote]

I have not, because I'm relatively new to this area. We lived downeast (Bar Harbor) for the last 14 years or so. And I'm not sure I know any members there. Got on Falmouth CC and Portland CC via a college friend's brother who is asst pro at Portland. I'm sure it's nice. Falmouth is pretty swanky for Maine...

[/quote]

If you lived in Bar Harbor you must have played Kebo some. I lived in Maine for 30 years and tried to play Kebo at least couple times a year. One of my top 5 favorite courses that I've played.
Something I like about those old layouts.

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1337781802' post='4964028']
[quote name='Mulligan26' timestamp='1337780158' post='4963868']Vin have you ever played the woodlands? That course is absolutely beautiful, or it was when I was there a couple of years ago anyway. I played it for $20 because of the Maine Junior Tour :yahoo:
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's very very nice, immaculate range with ball pyramids! Something I've only seen once, the range balls were nxt tours when I was there. The course itself is stunning and I enjoyed every minute of it. If I lives closer and had the coin I would definitely pick up a jr membership. But I live in the very southern part of the state (s. berwick, basically I can spit into NH) and hawk cell phones for a living

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

To me "public" golf courses mean city owned, county owned or local / state park owned courses. That is what I grew up on and they were always in great shape and pushed out a lot of players during the golf season at a good rate for $20-$36 for 18 holes and a cart depending on weekday or weekends. The big difference now after living in a few different areas I see is the quote "public" courses that are owned by a private individual or golf company group that owns multiple courses is they usually cost $50+ on a weekend to play, though in good condition they are also usually fairly packed, subject to outings / local tournaments etc... I didn't grow up on a country club and am by no means a "1%" to use the latest catch phrase to brand successful people, but as a under 35 middle class working guy I chose to save up my $5k and pay the initiation for a full Junior membership with monthly dues that are only $225 and have no minimums, because if i play 2 rounds every weekend at any of our local good courses open to the public I'm going to pay $50-85 thats over $400 a month just to play golf at a public course that is crowded and hard to get tee times, when I can have the run of a private club, pool, tennis courts and access to the range and course any day I want any time I want, it is never crowded and you can play 18 in 3 hours or less just about every day.

Today's private clubs have become more competitive and open to gaining younger and new members, there memberships are not always so out of this world to join, sure we have our 50k initiation old money clubs but we also have 5-7 clubs that are between 5-25k for a family to join while the "public" courses owned by private entities/people have continued to raise rates and drive away the ability for many people to play quality courses at a decent price because they want to be viewed as a top tier course and they think you can only do that by driving the rates up.

Cleveland Metroparks in Ohio has some of the best city owned golf courses of any where I have lived, 3 courses of their 7 are championship courses, one is a Donald Ross design ( http://www.clemetparks.com/recreation/golf/manakiki_image_gallery.html ) and all 3 rival most private clubs for conditions and layout, yet they are extremely affordable to play (under$40) it can be done, but courses just have the perception that the higher the cost the better quality it must be it seems over the last decade.

[quote name='thatsone' timestamp='1337787078' post='4964538']If you lived in Bar Harbor you must have played Kebo some. I lived in Maine for 30 years and tried to play Kebo at least couple times a year. One of my top 5 favorite courses that I've played.
[/quote]

ohhh yes. played Kebo many many times. I actually worked there in '96-97, not on the grounds crew, but I got to play once a week, Mondays after 1:pm.

Also they have the MDI tournament which is one round each at Causeway Club, Northeast Harbor GC (my fav on the island) and Kebo. If you were a member at either of the 3 it was $50, if not then $100, which still was a bargain.

Kebo can be very slow at times though (on weekends), and their management sucks, but that does NOT take away from the quality of the course, or someone's golf experience. Just as a local...you tend to see some things.

I think it's the 3rd oldest in the state, but don't quote me on that. The views on the back 9 are incredible!

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1337792272' post='4965058']
[quote name='thatsone' timestamp='1337787078' post='4964538']If you lived in Bar Harbor you must have played Kebo some. I lived in Maine for 30 years and tried to play Kebo at least couple times a year. One of my top 5 favorite courses that I've played.
[/quote]

ohhh yes. played Kebo many many times. I actually worked there in '96-97, not on the grounds crew, but I got to play once a week, Mondays after 1:pm.

Also they have the MDI tournament which is one round each at Causeway Club, Northeast Harbor GC (my fav on the island) and Kebo. If you were a member at either of the 3 it was $50, if not then $100, which still was a bargain.

Kebo can be very slow at times though (on weekends), and their management sucks, but that does NOT take away from the quality of the course, or someone's golf experience. Just as a local...you tend to see some things.

I think it's the 3rd oldest in the state, but don't quote me on that. The views on the back 9 are incredible!
[/quote]

Oh Yes! Northeast Harbor is fantastic. Played it only a few times. Some holes remind me of an old version of some of the holes at Sugarloaf. I played it some before they completed rebuilding the whole 18. The last time I played it they had completed the 18th. Felt like I must have been transported to another course. Really a great course.

You know you're at a public golf course when you see folks out enjoying some leisure time with family and friends.

You know you're at a private club when you see folks pretending to enjoy golf while trying with all their might to "fit in" and convince themselves that they are just as rich and important as the other members in the foursome.

[quote name='thatsone' timestamp='1337794317' post='4965238']Oh Yes! Northeast Harbor is fantastic. Played it only a few times. Some holes remind me of an old version of some of the holes at Sugarloaf. I played it some before they completed rebuilding the whole 18. The last time I played it they had completed the 18th. Felt like I must have been transported to another course. Really a great course.
[/quote]

Best thing about NE Harbor is it gets little traffic. The richies pay their dues...come up for their two weeks/year and then....crickets

Bring extra balls though

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Tmiller72' timestamp='1337521577' post='4945538']
[quote name='Hutch306' timestamp='1337519863' post='4945438']
I never realized putting your shoes on in the parking lot was so offensive to some...What's the deal with that? Are you ALWAYS supposed to go into the locker room to put your shoes on?
[/quote]

Some people on here will tell you not only that you can't change shoes in the parking lot, but you must carry them in a shoe bag when going inside. I would do that if it was required, but I've never played at a club yet that required that.
[/quote]

Highly recommend that. You see some guest show up at the club putting shoes on in the parking lot. Courses have locker rooms to change in. Very tacky having people change outside.

[quote name='golfnut-2X' timestamp='1337797887' post='4965624']Highly recommend that. You see some guest show up at the club putting shoes on in the parking lot. Courses have locker rooms to change in. Very tacky having people change outside.
[/quote]

Well the fact of the matter is, no..not all of them do. But I guess that goes along with some of the ideas in this thread. Many guys at public courses don't give a hoot what people think or where they change their shoes.

Why people give a hoot is a mystery to us.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='DevilDog' timestamp='1337806152' post='4966312']
Around here, the round will take 6 hours, there will be guys in cut off jeans and tank tops, you will hear "ya'll watch this sh*t" from 4 holes over and yeehaws too, beer cans on the fairways, and the list goes on. This is public golf in Alabama.
[/quote]

"ya'll watch this sh*t"!

Ahahahhaha

[quote name='DevilDog' timestamp='1337806152' post='4966312']
Around here, the round will take 6 hours, there will be guys in cut off jeans and tank tops, you will hear "ya'll watch this sh*t" from 4 holes over and yeehaws too, beer cans on the fairways, and the list goes on. This is public golf in Alabama.
[/quote]

i love it - yeehaw!!

[quote name='Another Steelers Fan' timestamp='1337780054' post='4963856']
Sheesh... I'm surprised to hear about this[i] "Changing shoes in the parking lot"[/i] Civil War going on here.

I'm with the ones who change shoes in the parking lot. Actually, it's not until this thread that I've ever heard about this being frowned upon anywhere... including several very nice private places I've played.

Some of you people are weird or uptight.... or weird and uptight.
[/quote]

when i first started and earlier in my career i played at a lot of dog tracks. at the time didn't realize they were dog tracks until i started playing better and better courses. i wasn't aware of this type of etiquette either since no one else did this at these places. once i joined a country club though you learn very quickly on proper ettiquette. plus think about it, you pay alot of money besides just green fees to entertain clients, family, and friends.

some posters asking benefits of private club. they all all different so it depends but in general the more you spend...

1. better course conditions (all around tee box, fairway, greens, rough, sand)

2. better green conditions, faster, and more consistent

* change pins daily, cut and speed roll daily, hand roll after speed roll for tournaments

3. higher expectations for pace of play and management of pace of play - during tournaments slow play is penalized

4. better conditions on grass range, short game facility, and practice putting greens. staff on range to keep filling pyramids as needed.

5. higher expectations for people to fix divots and ball marks

6. all staff (golf / restaurant) know you and your family and what you prefer for f&b

7. all staff treat you very well and your voice is heard on pace and conditions

8. traps raked daily and consistent length rough with scheduled mowings versus just letting it grow then mow short and repeat ocasionally

9. starters to make sure people don't start behind and rangers on front and back keeping pace plus access to call at anytime you see a backup

10. access to other private clubs in the area for inter club tournaments

11. a lot of golf tournaments and weekly league - unfortunately most are net so you need to deal with the occasional sand baggers

12. golf committees with handicap committee that watches weekly for people not posting, sand bagging, etc and adjusts handicaps for those that just happen to have low tournament rounds versus their posted rounds

13. lockers to keep golf gear and change with showers available. shoe room for someone to clean and polish occasionally and respike

14. staff to get your cart on the bag from bag drop and clean clubs and return to bag drop if you don't store your clubs at the club

don't assume because of the initiation fees and dues conditions are always awesome. in general there is a correlation. before putting any money down make sure you play a couple times and eat at the restaurant.

good luck.

[quote name='golfnut-2X' timestamp='1337797887' post='4965624']
[quote name='Tmiller72' timestamp='1337521577' post='4945538']
[quote name='Hutch306' timestamp='1337519863' post='4945438']
I never realized putting your shoes on in the parking lot was so offensive to some...What's the deal with that? Are you ALWAYS supposed to go into the locker room to put your shoes on?
[/quote]

Some people on here will tell you not only that you can't change shoes in the parking lot, but you must carry them in a shoe bag when going inside. I would do that if it was required, but I've never played at a club yet that required that.
[/quote]

Highly recommend that. You see some guest show up at the club putting shoes on in the parking lot. Courses have locker rooms to change in. Very tacky having people change outside.
[/quote]

I can understand how it is tacky to change shirts or shorts in the parking lot. I can kind of see how putitng on socks and taking off flip flops can be tacky, if done in a parking lot. But for the life of me, I cannot see how it's tacky to put your shoes on in a parking lot. If I'm only changing shoes, how is that tacky? How does that make me less of a "gentleman"?