2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

How to tell if you are playing a public course...

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1337494114' post='4944894']
I will start.

You know you are playing at a public course when you see hacks rolling their push carts across the green.

You know you are at a public course when you hear a conversation between two old guys, one who is a registered pedophile, that goes like this:
Guy 1: "Wow, I just love the way she (middle aged woman) plays golf"
Guy 2: "Surely", I just love the way her butt looks when she walks."

Yes... these both happened today.
[/quote]

Spalding!? You'll have nothing, and like it!

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BergenMuni' timestamp='1337916181' post='4974568']
......you get to the course at 5:00 in the morning for a walk-on slot on a weekend & find 7 others ahead of you. Or, there's some kind of system of parking your car, leaving a bag/club/ball/etc. to indicate your position in the line for the walk-on slots hours before the clubhouse opens.
[/quote]

....and then upon returning your bag/club/ball/etc. is missing and now are for sale on Ebay. :cheesy:

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

Alright, so I've been reading this thread the last few days and getting some laughs. I feel like I'm pretty lucky in the fact that we have some pretty nice county and city public courses that are pretty inexpensive to play in the Spokane, WA area. The course I was playing today is a little more challenging and on the nicer end which usually deters the hacks from coming out.

In this thread, it has been mentioned numerous times about guys wearing jean shorts or cut off tank tops or maybe high top shoes. This guy was a couple groups ahead of me this morning and I was finally able to get a picture on the backside. I was playing a par 5 and it makes it a shorter second shot over water to the green if you play down the next hole's fairway, which is where this guy was coming down.

So, I walk up to my drive and am waiting for the group in front of me to get off the green ( and to take this guys picture) and he walks up to me and starts to tell me how I should play my next shot.

This guy is the epitomy of this thread...high top work out shoes, jean shorts, harley davidson t-shirt with the sleeves cut off, pushing a Titleist Staff bag, and, yes, that is a ball retriever he is putting away because he just got done fishing for balls his whole walk up the fairway. I could not stop laughing once he brought out the ball retriever. Just icing on the cake.

[attachment=1182702:photo.JPG][attachment=1182704:photo (2).JPG]

[quote name='schutz006' timestamp='1338155767' post='4986296']
Alright, so I've been reading this thread the last few days and getting some laughs. I feel like I'm pretty lucky in the fact that we have some pretty nice county and city public courses that are pretty inexpensive to play in the Spokane, WA area. The course I was playing today is a little more challenging and on the nicer end which usually deters the hacks from coming out.

In this thread, it has been mentioned numerous times about guys wearing jean shorts or cut off tank tops or maybe high top shoes. This guy was a couple groups ahead of me this morning and I was finally able to get a picture on the backside. I was playing a par 5 and it makes it a shorter second shot over water to the green if you play down the next hole's fairway, which is where this guy was coming down.

So, I walk up to my drive and am waiting for the group in front of me to get off the green ( and to take this guys picture) and he walks up to me and starts to tell me how I should play my next shot.

This guy is the epitomy of this thread...high top work out shoes, jean shorts, harley davidson t-shirt with the sleeves cut off, pushing a Titleist Staff bag, and, yes, that is a ball retriever he is putting away because he just got done fishing for balls his whole walk up the fairway. I could not stop laughing once he brought out the ball retriever. Just icing on the cake.

[/quote]

Ha ha, awesome. I can deal with the jean shorts and gym shoes but for the life of me I don't get the sleeveless T's and tank tops. I play nothing but public courses and I have yet to see someone wearing a shirt like that even on the low end $7 for nine hole par three courses.

Whatever floats your boat I guess, as long as he is having a good time.

[/quote]

Good to see him out and walking.

I am a proud member of a public golf course. Costs a whopping 700 a year to play .

There is a sign that says "No sleeveless shirts" and Im pretty sure there are more sleeveless shirts than shirts with sleeves.

I have seen a guy play in these bad boys before [url="http://wallywaldoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Timberland-Pro-Work-Boots.jpg"]http://wallywaldoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Timberland-Pro-Work-Boots.jpg[/url]

Seen multiple people playing out of the same bag.

Every time you find a golf ball it is a ti-tech, Top Flight, Pinnacle, Nitro, or Wilson.

Bunkers... what bunkers? If there is a bunker it is soaked the point its unplayable.

Whoever built the tee boxes dont own a level.

When a tee box gets worn out they just move it to where they want. Usually a slope in rough they just mowed a little tighter.

I could go on and on and on and on.

But for the money I save to be a member here and play. Its worth it.

I have played on some private GCs that had these signs "Sony Open course being one"

[quote name='caller' timestamp='1337612766' post='4950648']

- "Golfers are responsible for the property damage" sign posted on sharp dog leg holes

[/quote]

Great post

[quote name='lukesmurf59' timestamp='1337636708' post='4953202']
Personally, I grew up a public golf guy. In fact, I still play more public golf than private. However, I play both the local munis (anyone know Maple Moor GC?) as well as some of the nicest clubs in Westchester county. For those of you who don't know, we have some darned nice courses? Westchester cc is incredible and littered with money. (I once convinced my friend we use solid gold tees there because they lower spin) And yes, when on thursday you play Sleepy Hollow CC and maple moor on saturday, the conditions and playing partners tend to be a let down. But, I have also met some of the nicest people on public golf courses. Sure there is the guy who says "Das was up!" when I hit a good drive, but there are also some wonderful people. (I especially love the little old japanese ladies who are amazingly impressed when you hit a drive 270. Then I say, I'm the short hitter of my friends)
I will say though, you know you are at a public course when the marshall says "I'll take you out to three. They said this is the fastest cart." He floors it and it moves about 4mph. To which I respond "slow down there speed racer and we chuckle and have a nice conversation and relax. The people there do seem more down to earth and less demanding. While I like the people though, I certainly would not choose a muni over winged foot.
You also know you are on a public course when two guys in your own group pick up your ball. Or when the bunkers look as though they should apply for federal disaster relief funds.
[/quote]

Here in Hawaii the public/ semi private and resort courses are great. I haven't played the muni be have played some 25+ public and can say they rank highly in all areas. I would say besides the goat track of hawaii GC and barbers point(military and not maintained like most military courses), Mid PAC CC (very private) was somewhat of a dump compaired to what I thought it would be. I played Honolulu CC, although very nice and well maintained. not worth even close to the $180 they charge for guest.

I will countinue to play the military courses and be happy, buy far the best bang for your buck anywhere on this Island.

One more note, my home golf course, Kinderlou Forest public/Semi Private and South GA GC in Tifton is hands down better then Valdosta CC. Private doesn't always equal better.

I guess its all in the eyes of the beholder.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

A less well stocked wine cellar.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

i just took my daugther to play some practice rounds on a public track preparing for an upcoming tournament. i know the average public course greens are usually slow but holy cow. they were bent grass greens and looked nice from a distance but super soft, hairy, and extremely slow. no kidding slowest greens ever putted on. i pulled out the stimpmeter and it actually measured 5 feet on average both directions. i think greens stimped at a 5 in the 1800s. when i asked the proshop if they didn't cut them he looked at me like i had horns growing out of my head and said that is their normal speed.

[/quote]

I loved this one, I grew up in Spokane . I wish I had pictures of when we played with NO shirts!!
What course is this??

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1338258495' post='4991990']

[/quote]

I loved this one, I grew up in Spokane . I wish I had pictures of when we played with NO shirts!!
What course is this??
[/quote]

Meadowwood in Liberty Lake.

[quote name='schutz006' timestamp='1338261844' post='4992288']
[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1338258495' post='4991990']

[/quote]

What course is this??
[/quote]

Meadowwood in Liberty Lake.

[/quote]

Thanks, I have not played Meadwood for over 16 years. I played Liberty on opening day with my parents and brother, 1958 I believe. I played Liberty last summer, wow what an improvement!!

[quote name='Oxford The Cat' timestamp='1337834415' post='4968832']
[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]1. better course conditions (all around tee box, fairway, greens, rough, sand)[/color][/size]
Not necessarily. There are easily 15 public courses within an hours drive around me that all have conditions that match or exceed the private clubs in the area (initiations from 20k - 80k), including two that are this year,or have previously, hosted tour events.
Aside from the less notable courses around me, more notable public courses include Bethpage, Sawgrass, Pebble Beach, Whistling Straights, Spy Glass, Pinehurst, and some 'Old Course' I keep hearing about in Scotland.

In general the higher you pay the better the condtiions. Not sure about you but excluding the few national ones we know about but in my state 98% of the public are no where close a nice country club wrt to conditions.

[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]2. better green conditions, faster, and more consistent[/color][/size]
See above.

See above - not even close - my daugther has already played 5 tournaments this spring on public courses and the conditions were awefull relatively - greens < 10-11 (actually more like 9). Pins were moved so there was wear and tear around the hole. You are kidding yourself hear. This is usually the biggest benefit where people that care about golf will pore money into the greens first since that's where you putt the ball into the hole.

[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]* change pins daily,[/color][/size]
[color="#1c2837"][size="2"]Unsure, but probably not likely, every 2-3 days more likely.[/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]cut and speed roll daily, hand roll after speed roll for tournaments[/color][/size]
Any decent public.

Most public courses in my state don't even have rollers let alone cut the greens every morning. Again ignoring the few big national ones 98% of the ones in my state don't do this. Public courses get high traffic and when they don't change to the pins until 3 days later the most important part of the putting surface < 10 feet is in awful condition to put through.

[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]3. higher expectations for pace of play and management of pace of play - during tournaments slow play is penalized[/color][/size]
Private clubs can be [i]worse[/i] for pace of play: Nobody has the stones to tell someone that's paid 50k to get their a** in gear.

Do you actually belong to a club? Very distorted view. Most of the better players are anal retentive on pace of play. The more you pay the more anal retentive. In tournaments I have called the proshop to sit on my group because I guy was ultra slow and we were all going to get penalized if they didn't see this guy work in slow motion. If you have a 4:45/5:00 tournament round the guys go bizerck on the proshop to stop it from happening.

[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]4. better conditions on grass range, short game facility, and practice putting greens. staff on range to keep filling pyramids as needed.[/color][/size]
See answer 1.

again from the few nationals. out club has a nice grass range, people filling pyramids constantly, short game facility with 4 greens and 3 traps and a practice green. So far every public course in the last two years my daugther played in a tournament non of them have all of it and alot of them don't have a range and when they do the turf is not bent grass its more like a mixed weed.

[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]5. higher expectations for people to fix divots and ball marks[/color][/size]
Not really.

Again, are you a member of a club. When I played public courses you rairly saw people fix divots and ball marks. At the club no one wants to do that to the place the play all the time. Guys would be called out if they did. Etiquette also is if you see a mark not fixed fix it.

[color="#a0522d"][size="2"]6. all staff (golf / restaurant) know you and your family and what you prefer for f&b[/size][/color]
Maybe, but I doubt it, and I think, respectfully, you're full of s*** on this one.

Not really. Bartenders know everyone and know what they like. Since we eat there a lot the restaurant staff usually knows what we want to order. This is one of the big factors of a country club. The membership is small and everyone knows you and your family. No matter if you are on the green, proshop, range, restaurant, bagshop everyone calls you by your last name and recognizes you. My daugther and I are at the club all the time. We just call up 15 minutes prior to finishing practice / playing and we walk into our standard table have food and carraffes out eat and leave since she practices frequentlly. Won't get away with that type service all the time somewhere else.

[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]7. all staff treat you very well and your voice is heard on pace and conditions[/color][/size]
... just like at any decent public course....

Again, daugther played in a lot of tournaments last two years on public courses and not sure what you are referring to. They don't even know us (nor should they nor do we expect them to). Why would a public course from a joe blow take recommendations on improving certain conditions on the course - they would like at you like you are crazy.

[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]8. traps raked daily and consistent length rough with scheduled mowings[/color][/size]
Every public course, excluding maybe bargain Par 3 courses.

Every public course does not rake traps daily. Again last two years in her tournaments most public course in the state traps were relatively aweful - foot prints, etc. Some of the tournaments they allowed them to rake the foot prints clear and drop a ball because of the conditions. You are kidding yourself on the 95% of the public courses.

[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]9. starters to make sure people don't start behind and rangers on front and back keeping pace plus access to call at anytime you see a backup[/color][/size]
Every decent public course..... though *gasp*, we might have to [i]use our own cell phones[/i] if we wanted to get a marshall.
[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]10. access to other private clubs in the area for inter club tournaments[/color][/size]
Just like a membership at any 'semi-private' would offer, but I guess you've got that one advantage - few 'open' events. The membership related events are the only real advantages.
[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]11. a lot of golf tournaments and weekly league - unfortunately most are net so you need to deal with the occasional sand baggers[/color][/size]
See 10.
[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]12. golf committees with handicap committee that watches weekly for people not posting, sand bagging, etc and adjusts handicaps for those that just happen to have low tournament rounds versus their posted rounds[/color][/size]
See 10.
[color="#a0522d"][size="2"]1[/size][size="2"]3. lockers to keep golf gear and change with showers available. shoe room for someone to clean and polish occasionally and respike[/size][/color]
Lockers / showers at most decent public courses.... though heaven forbid, there will be no one to clean and polish our shoes while we golf!
[size="2"][color="#a0522d"]14. staff to get your cart on the bag from bag drop and clean clubs and return to bag drop if you don't store your clubs at the club[/color][/size]
Once again, heaven forbid that a golfer [i]actually have to clean his own clubs

[/i]
Bottom line, you play public because that's what you an afford. I did the same. But don't lie to yourself that the people shelling out iniitation fees and annual dues are not getting what they paid for. There are exectpions which I agree but for the most part you usually get what you pay for just like anything in life with some minor exceptions.

I
[/quote]

I think we are missing the point that there are really great public courses and really crap private courses. In my experience, other than the very expensive ones, most of the publics in my general vicinity (including the munis) are comparable to the privates, they just don't have the posh comforts. If you are looking to play golf and not socialize, then around here, going private is a waste of cash regardless of whether you can afford it. But I'll fully admit that there are probably many areas where the opposite is true.

Overall, where I live, the public courses aren't terrible condition-wise but they do have issues the private courses don't. First and foremost is pace of play. There isn't a private course in my area, even when busy, you can't play in 4 hours or less. EVERY public course in this area is a 5 hour plus marathon. Every single public course is like this. One reason is more public courses tee off 10 groups per hour vs. 6 groups per hour max at private courses. That many groups will jam things up.

Condition-wise, as I said, the publics aren't too bad here but the greens are indeed much slower than the private courses. One reason is helping the bent greens survive summer heat. Another reason is to help them hold up to the traffic due to heavy play.

Finally, accessibility. Most private clubs in the area don't even need tee times. You can get off within 20 minutes or so of showing up. If you don't have a tee time at the public courses for that day, you aren't playing that day. They get booked solid early.

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1338272062' post='4992796']

Thanks, I have not played Meadwood for over 16 years. I played Liberty on opening day with my parents and brother, 1958 I believe. I played Liberty last summer, wow what an improvement!!

[/quote]

I work on the maintenance crew at Liberty Lake and was able to play the new course before it opened to public. I did a lot with the course grow in and remodel. It is a big improvement from before. Definitely much nicer.

[/quote]

Surprises me that Meadowwood would let that guy out.

Spokane has great muni's for the price, I play the Hillyard Country Club(Esmeralda) often.

Cobra King F6 (set on 9* penetrating)
Aeroburner Mini Driver 14*
Wilson Staff 19.5*
Nike Forged Pro Combo 4-PW
Maltby Wedges 50-54-58

When I see trash blowing around near tees and greens, cigarette butts laying around, visitors leaving sunflower seeds on the green, and unattended divots all over the place, I know I am playing a muni. I won't even go into the pathetic practice range conditions, and used up balls.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I know i am playing a public course when the sand fill is not dyed the color of the grass on the course LOL Really the biggest things that get me about public courses is the slow greens, majorly crowned tee boxes, and what they think is a practice range. I would have a lot more respect for public courses that could have a decent range and short game area to practice along with range balls that you can actually see what you are doing.

[quote name='golfnut-2X' timestamp='1338256744' post='4991806']
i just took my daugther to play some practice rounds on a public track preparing for an upcoming tournament. i know the average public course greens are usually slow but holy cow. they were bent grass greens and looked nice from a distance but super soft, hairy, and extremely slow. no kidding slowest greens ever putted on. i pulled out the stimpmeter and it actually measured 5 feet on average both directions. i think greens stimped at a 5 in the 1800s. when i asked the proshop if they didn't cut them he looked at me like i had horns growing out of my head and said that is their normal speed.
[/quote]

LMAO @ "I pulled out the stimpmeter." I call BS

[quote name='orangebang' timestamp='1337499698' post='4945008']
when guys put their shoes on in the parking lot.
[/quote]

? I've worked at high end country clubs (one in the top ten) and public tracks and have seen this done everywhere? Why is this a "public course" thing?

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant