2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How to tell if you are playing a public course...

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1337633016' post='4952800']
Other than being ugly, baggy and looking like something you'd wear to mow grass I supposed cargo shorts are fine. As a big, fat, somewhat lumpy and sagging looking individual I basically won't be caught dead in any clothing that makes me look even moreso. Even if losing 40 pounds is too much trouble, it's not to wear clothes (including shorts) that actually fit instead of bag and flop...
[/quote]

I wear cargo shorts that are neither baggy nor something that look like I mow the grass in them. In fact I wear them to the private country club that I belong to, and they are not out of place by any means.

So they have a extra pocket on the leg, who cares! They're not jeans by God, which we all know is THE most cardinal sin on the golf course.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cargo shorts have been worn at Falmouth CC. She be private.

Sometimes fashions change. Hell, I remember when you couldn't wear shorts AT ALL.

And just because they're not cargo...doesn't mean they'll look good.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='caller' timestamp='1337612766' post='4950648']
- When you see lots of guys show up with personal picnic size cooler full of Miller lite. (or having good time post round drink on the parking lot with their trucks cargo gate open)

- Ball retriever is in everyone's bag

- Grill has nothing but hot dogs to eat

- "No mulligan" sign on the first tee

- Par 3 tees are destroyed with chunked shots

- On course trash cans full of empty Milelr lite cans and Honey buns wrapper.

- See lots of tread mark on the wet spot on the course near the green

- When you hit a tee shots and goes to other fw, you see a cart running with your ball

- When you have to fix more than 5 ball marks on the green other than yours

- Bunkers are flooded or packed as hard as concrete

- "Golfers are responsible for the property damage" sign posted on sharp dog leg holes

- Driving range installed with tour issued matts

- "No chipping" sign posted on practice green but don't have practice bunker nor chipping green (You will find many people chipping around the green despite what the sign says)

- When you find Pall Mall cigarett butt on the green (not even a cigar ashe)

- Everyone chews

- When you see people jumping the fence to fish on the pond (they will move out of your way when you are ready to hit tee shots over the water cause someone will get hit)

- Proshop has wonderful collection of merchandise that remind me of seniors collection from 80's
[/quote]

The last one is the best!

" Proshop has wonderful collection of merchandise that remind me of seniors collection from 80's"!
Ahahahahahaha!!

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1337632005' post='4952694']
[quote name='Suntower' timestamp='1337630655' post='4952532']
"Public" does not equal "Municipal".

In case ya'll haven't heard, "Private" courses are dying off in scores.

I've played quite a few "public" courses where I never touched my bag. Valet took the car, clubs were in my cart... brought the cart back... went to the valet... clubs freshly cleaned and put back in my car.

And the "shoe changing" thing is insane. Let me get this straight... you guys wear your golf shoes all day if you're coming to the course before/after some other activity (work, dinner, lunch, Home Depot, church, etc)?!?!

finally... this thread is all in good fun I'm sure... but it reeks of pretension.
[/quote]

I have a pair of FootJoy Contour "shop" shoes. If I'm going to take off work early to play golf I wear those to work then straight to the golf course without changing. I also play golf in the same (golf) shirt and slacks I wore to work.

On weekends, I put my FootJoy Contour Casual shoes on in the morning at home. Wear them around to do errands or whatever, then go play golf.

When I get home after golf I change out of whichever shoes I wore to play because they're usually a bit dirty of sweaty by then.

I also keep an old pair of Ecco "real golf shoes" in my locker to wear just in case I end up at the golf course without already having on suitable shoes.

The reasons I don't have to distinguish between shoes I can play golf in and shoes I can live the rest of my life in are A) no spikes (hate 'em) and B) no white and black saddle shoes that look like what a 14-year-old girl would wear in a 60's high school movie.
[/quote]

Most people don't wear theyre golf shoes all day like you do, nor do most wear the same type of shoes you wear.

Add me to the change my shoes in the parking lot category!

And for what it's worth, I wear slacks for work but that don't mean I'll wear my golf shoes to work either!

Don't know why it's such a big deal to change your shoes in the parking lot?!
I've seen this at private clubs as well so it's not just a "muni" or "public" course thing either.

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1337642492' post='4953816']
[quote name='leoh923' timestamp='1337599031' post='4949680']
And you see more pickups than Beemers in the parking lot,
[/quote]

I assure you there are far more millionaires driving pickup trucks than "Beemers".

It's not even close.
[/quote]

I din't mean that as a knock on pickups, or the guys who drive them. Most of the best people I have met on a golf course, I have met at a Muni, and they drive pickups.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='svs' timestamp='1337649930' post='4954682']
[quote name='jyamat' timestamp='1337646963' post='4954310']
When you see a foursome of young kids enjoying the game and being with their friends for 4 hours.
[/quote]

+2!

This is some of the essence of golf!
[/quote]

As long as they stay the h*ll OFF MY LAWN!!

Dang kids.

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1337612786' post='4950654']
You can tell you're at a public course because you see my S10 pickup, me changing my shoes in the parking lot (yeah, maybe my shirt too), a six pack ready to go, REALXING ready to play some golf, and NOT wondering if I have to keep up appearances with uptight snots at Private clubs...like the ones I grew up on.

I know those clubs. And it's not something I wanted to be a part of.
[/quote]

Ayuh, and don't forget your best pai' o jeans. Wicked comfy...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Funny part is our local public course is nicer than every private course in the area.. and that isn't a knock on the private courses, they are just outdone in every way by Atchafalaya at Idlewild. [url="http://www.atchafalayagolf.com/"]http://www.atchafalayagolf.com/[/url]

12 bucks, all you can hit on the range or free, unlimited range balls with the purchase of a round. Full driving range, chipping green (bunkers, rough, fairway) and a fantastic putting green all in a row before you hit the first tee box (You just go down the line with your cart and stop at the ones you want to stop at). The fairways are always in great shape, rough is consistent throughout the course, bunkers are always soft (no hard packed lies) greens are in great condition unless they have just aerated. All carts have GPS with touchscreens. Clubhouse is fantastic with a small proshop and full service restaurant (Food is great, prices are good) and bar.

[quote name='thatsone' timestamp='1337689036' post='4957058']
You know you're at a public course when can show up as a single, pay the greens fee, golf with folks you've never met before, from all walks of life, and more often than not enjoy their company with the commonality of the game.
[/quote]

Hmm, sounds a lot like my club (except for the greens fee). I'm sure there are plenty of members with "old money" and certainly our share of lawyers and CPA's. But one of the guys I play with frequently works as a master pipefitter for an industrial construction contractor, others are clerical or lower management staff at large companies, some cops (and one DEA agent) and pretty much a mix of blue-collar, white-collar and retired folks. Plus the guys who are well off. Oh and insurance-industry guys, we seem to have a lot of them.

In smaller towns in parts of the country where country clubs can't charge $10,000-$60,000 up front fees (more like a couple grand and nowadays sometimes less) there is not a huge difference in socio-economic level between country club and public course golfers. More of a question of what part does golf play in their life rather than a can they afford it although obviously there are some folks who can't afford a couple hundred a month in dues but can afford $25-$50/round pay as you go.

And some people are just much more comfortable playing at a decent public course than in the country-club environment. I'm in that category myself, somewhat, but my club's golf course is so much better than anything else in town I feel like I'd be crazy not to be a member just to save a few bucks and have a few less social expectations attached to my golf habit.

You know you are at a private course when:

1) Everyone there thinks its the best course in the area but in reality is not any better than some munis.
2) Most of the membership has no clue what they would shoot if they followed the rules.
3) The greenskeeper thinks that fast greens and long rough is the only way to measure the quality of conditions.
4) The kids of the members are more delusional about their game and more pretentious than their parents.

I'm sure I missed some, but this is a short list of the reasons I haven't gone private. Of course I am lucky that the county courses where I live are some of the nicest in the state.

[quote name='thatsone' timestamp='1337689036' post='4957058']
You know you're at a public course when can show up as a single, pay the greens fee, golf with folks you've never met before, from all walks of life, and more often than not enjoy their company with the commonality of the game.
[/quote]

That's kind of how a nearby 9 hole muni course here is. I've actually met people by randomly getting paired up, have ended up making friendships and playing with them again.

It's actually a place where it's MOSTLY singles but it's a group of us who are there so often due to the course's convienent location that everyone has basically gotten to know each other. It's nice to be able to show up and play a round with whoever else happens to be there while having it be people you are familiar with.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1337693447' post='4957438']
[quote name='sigmapete1' timestamp='1337691872' post='4957292'] Of course I am lucky that the county courses where I live are some of the nicest in the state.
[/quote]

No, you just think it is when in reality it's no better than most munis. :busted2:
[/quote]

Nope, pretty well known here that a couple counties have great munis and others have garbage. I grew up in one of the counties with garbage courses.

[quote name='Miscue' timestamp='1337697805' post='4957838']
When you noticed that if they just manicured the edges of the bunkers to have clean lines it would elevate the course to a whole new level. All about the clean lines in the bunkers folks! Like a haircut!
[/quote]

They won't bother you if you don't hit into them :beach:

(kidding)

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[i]I know I am at a public course when [b][u]I am playing golf.[/u][/b]

Not enough funds to afford anything remotely private. [/i]

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

[quote name='StevenF' timestamp='1337704531' post='4958524']
When the garbage cans are overflowing with empty beer cans.
[/quote]

When you can walk into the clubhouse, put a few bucks in the can, go into the fridge and grab a couple canned beers (probably Bud Light), and walk back out.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1337706318' post='4958740']
[/quote]

When you can walk into the clubhouse, put a few bucks in the can, go into the fridge and grab a couple canned beers (probably Bud Light), and walk back out.
[/quote]

Bud Light. Don't get me started on Bud Light.

I don't often drink beer and when I do it's some kind of microbrewed whatchamacallit. But a while back I "challenged" a guy I was playing with to play a little match on the back nine, loser buys the beer. He won and when we got to the clubhouse he ordered us a pitcher of Bud Light.

OMG! Nasty, yuck, ptooey, blech. I had about three sips and generously let me finish the rest of the pitcher. I can't believe anyone buys that stuff...much less drinks it.

I wish I belonged to a fancy enough country club that they had something other a Bud, Bud Light or Corona as the choices in the bar after a round.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1337706634' post='4958774']
[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1337706318' post='4958740']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Bud Light. Don't get me started on Bud Light.

I don't often drink beer and when I do it's some kind of microbrewed whatchamacallit. But a while back I "challenged" a guy I was playing with to play a little match on the back nine, loser buys the beer. He won and when we got to the clubhouse he ordered us a pitcher of Bud Light.

OMG! Nasty, yuck, ptooey, blech. I had about three sips and generously let me finish the rest of the pitcher. I can't believe anyone buys that stuff...much less drinks it.

I wish I belonged to a fancy enough country club that they had something other a Bud, Bud Light or Corona as the choices in the bar after a round.
[/quote]

Oh yeah it's gross, but you'd have a hard time getting fellas to pay honor system for a micro brew. and you'd also have a hard time breaking even on them.

me personally...I put 6 Harpoons (Boston) in my bag and call it good. a beer every 3 holes is a good happy medium for me. And often times I don't even finish the six.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip