2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

No one at my club recognizes Japanese clubs!.!..!??!

Tenngolfer

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1340059596' post='5123872']
Geez, if ordering up some clubs from Japan qualifies are "rare" what about my 1951 Macgregor "Jimmy Demaret" set? Beyond rare, priceless.

I will admit that showing up with a bag full or persimmon (or hickory for that matter) gets comments almost where ever you go. Funky brand name on shiny new clubs, not so much.
[/quote]

And you have every right to be proud of them, just as the OP. Outside of dropping the fact you have 1951 Demarets, I don't really understand your argument other than you agree with the OP that being proud of equipment is something most of us on this forum do and sometimes, surrounded by this atmosphere on the forum and sometimes with our peers and acquaintances on the course, we almost come to have an expectation of other people asking about our equipment.

I once again restate my point of "play whatever the hell makes you happy." Funny thing about being happy with your clubs is you tend to want to tell other people about them because... well, you think they're friggin sweet.

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just mentioning the exception to my earlier comments about nobody noticing clubs. Which is, if you can see from 50 yards away that the "woods' are made of wood people will say "Wow, those are old". So people aren't blind or avoiding the subject.They just can't tell a set of shiny new irons from Japan from shiny new irons from California.

Not that anyone is impressed by ancient clubs. More like they wonder about your sanity if you are playing them.

Weird and somewhat hostile thread here. Nothing wrong with being into the finer things in life. Also nothing wrong with not caring about that stuff. That's why we come on these sites, to find people with similar intellectual curiosity to discuss these things with together. I think appreciating the pursuit of perfection that companies like Miura aspire to, is not a bad thing.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1340068687' post='5124942']
I'm just mentioning the exception to my earlier comments about nobody noticing clubs. Which is, if you can see from 50 yards away that the "woods' are made of wood people will say "Wow, those are old". So people aren't blind or avoiding the subject.They just can't tell a set of shiny new irons from Japan from shiny new irons from California.

Not that anyone is impressed by ancient clubs. [b]More like they wonder about your sanity if you are playing them.[/b]
[/quote]

This is true. But there is some fun to just dusting 'em off and trying them once and a while. I grew up on persimmon and blades, so there's a nostalgia attached to them.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='JakeBarnes' timestamp='1340076256' post='5125884']

Not that anyone is impressed by ancient clubs. [b]More like they wonder about your sanity if you are playing them.[/b]
[/quote]

This is true. But there is some fun to just dusting 'em off and trying them once and a while. I grew up on persimmon and blades, so there's a nostalgia attached to them.
[/quote]

A relative of mine has the black ping 3 wood, might be like a ping eye... There for a while we used to still pull it out and play it. I knw it stayed in us bag long after it was "outdated.". He refuses to part with it.

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1340156245' post='5132334']
[quote name='JakeBarnes' timestamp='1340076256' post='5125884']

[/quote]

[/quote]

A relative of mine has the black ping 3 wood, might be like a ping eye... There for a while we used to still pull it out and play it. I knw it stayed in us bag long after it was "outdated.". He refuses to part with it.
[/quote]
i played my ping isi wood driver and 3w up until this year! there will never be a metal driver or fw that can approach the feel, workability and forgiveness of wood woods and up until the rbz i hadn't found a 3w with enough extra distance to warrant giving up those attributes.

but even playing those for so many years after their prime (and yes, i did get a few comments), they never got the attention my yururi raw flatbacks get.

I was enjoying the banter and thought the thread may finally be dead, but someone else revived it.

Sooo... i bought my first JDM clubs today and I gotta say that I love them. I played a p3 with a buddy and he was really curious about the Japanese writing on them. I'm excited to be able to have the game for more. I honestly would like a bag full of clubs that no one knows about. I don't care if they ask about them, or recognize them. but it will be mighty fun if they do! I love explaining about new and unique things (golf or not). I love my new Yururi clubs (whether they are better than USDM or not I don't care). I like having something that is unique and interesting!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Well this is not at a Country Club but at my job. I work in a public sector position. My client was a car dealership owner who could probably buy any club he wanted. He saw my golf items on my desk and asked did I play golf. I told him yes so our discussion went back and forth about courses, level of play, etc. He finally asked me what clubs I played. I kinda hesitated and said "you probably haven't heard about these but they are a Japanese brand called Miura." He didn't really respond but finally said he played TaylorMade. As we walked to the door I wondered did I sound like a golf snob... :swoon:

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1340246157' post='5139500']
I was enjoying the banter and thought the thread may finally be dead, but someone else revived it.

Sooo... i bought my first JDM clubs today and I gotta say that I love them. I played a p3 with a buddy and he was really curious about the Japanese writing on them. I'm excited to be able to have the game for more. I honestly would like a bag full of clubs that no one knows about. I don't care if they ask about them, or recognize them. but it will be mighty fun if they do! I love explaining about new and unique things (golf or not). I love my new Yururi clubs (whether they are better than USDM or not I don't care). I like having something that is unique and interesting!
[/quote]

Unique and interesting AND will play unlike any other clubs you've played...once you've gone JDM, very tough to go back to anything else. Picking up my first yuyuri next week after playing chikara wedges for a while now. Also check out anything Epon...from irons to drivers, it's golf at a whole different level.

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1340278764' post='5140828']

[/quote]

Unique and interesting AND will play unlike any other clubs you've played...once you've gone JDM, very tough to go back to anything else. Picking up my first yuyuri next week after playing chikara wedges for a while now. Also check out anything Epon...from irons to drivers, it's golf at a whole different level.
[/quote]

Several guys i play with purchased JDM clubs in past two years. Great looking clubs, especially the irons,but i have not seen one bit of improvement in any of their play. One of them has gone backward for sure. They are all single diget HC. Do you think your game would be worse with other clubs?

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1340289716' post='5141724']
[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1340278764' post='5140828']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Several guys i play with purchased JDM clubs in past two years. Great looking clubs, especially the irons,but i have not seen one bit of improvement in any of their play. One of them has gone backward for sure. They are all single diget HC. Do you think your game would be worse with other clubs?
[/quote]

I don't know if my game will get worse. I gotta say that I'm not trying to buy my game (I've tried that, it doesn't work). My wedge play and short game are the best aspects of my game. I have been playing a little over a year, and am a high handicapper. There will be a bit of a break in period in which my short game may falter slightly, but I don't see any dramatic decrease. In the long run I expect to be able to enjoy a nice set of wedges that are baby butt soft and can spin the ball like no ones business.

It's like the irons I purchased. I went from the ultimate GI (Dare I say SGI?) club the Burner 2.0s to something that is more difficult to hit, MP63s. I can already see an improvement in my ball striking. It's because I have to be accurate with the MPs. I could swing away with the Burners and it wouldn't really matter. I like having to focus my concentration and energy on the swing and contact.

So long story long... JDM will not make you a better player. But they sure do make a fine product!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I had an iron fitting today at Man O War in Lexington KY. I hit several Miura's, and I was not that impressed. The guys at the range say that they do not sell many because there is not much difference when people hit them side by side with Titleists etc.

My numbers on the FlightScope were 98 SS with a 6 iron, average carry was 181 into a little wind, 15.2 launch, 5850 spin. Those were with C-Tapers which I hit the best, vs X100 and PX 6.5. I also used the Mizuno Optimizer and it recommended KBS Tour X, X100, or PX 6.5. I hit the Titleist 690MBs the best. The AP2's had a little higher launch and higher spin, as did everything else I hit. They did not have a Miura with a C-Taper in it so I couldn't test it, but from all of the clubs I hit, I really couldn't tell a difference in feel from other forged blades. So flame away, but I will not be buying them and I would have if I thought they were better for me.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1340322522' post='5144976']
I had an iron fitting today at Man O War in Lexington KY. I hit several Miura's, and I was not that impressed. The guys at the range say that they do not sell many because there is not much difference when people hit them side by side with Titleists etc.

My numbers on the FlightScope were 98 SS with a 6 iron, average carry was 181 into a little wind, 15.2 launch, 5850 spin. Those were with C-Tapers which I hit the best, vs X100 and PX 6.5. I also used the Mizuno Optimizer and it recommended KBS Tour X, X100, or PX 6.5. I hit the Titleist 690MBs the best. The AP2's had a little higher launch and higher spin, as did everything else I hit. They did not have a Miura with a C-Taper in it so I couldn't test it, but from all of the clubs I hit, I really couldn't tell a difference in feel from other forged blades. So flame away, but I will not be buying them and I would have if I thought they were better for me.
[/quote]

I don't really think there is anything to flame about. You found what fit you. If anything, good job on trying to find what works. What works for some doesn't work for all.

10 guys walk in a golf shop that carry just about everything.
They are each looking for a set of irons.

10 guys walk out.

1 bought t-made
1 bought Titleist
1 bought cleveland
1 bought miura
1 bought cleveland
1 bought epon
1 bought adams
1 bought srixon
1 bough mizuno
1 bought callaway

they all got want they wanted

still many more brands that didn't get bought

We all like something different, looking for something different

If you want a Lexus, it costs more than a carolla.

My first JDM clubs were the 2009 TP Forged, they are TM but Japanese TM. I tried to buy some Kenmochi wedges, but they weren't available until July...so I passed and got SCORs instead.

Right now I have eyes and wallet on these puppies...trying to figure out a way to get them. I already have 4 sets of irons.

[attachment=1222522:14.jpg]

[quote name='Ghost_Orchid' timestamp='1340328017' post='5145516']
My first JDM clubs were the 2009 TP Forged, they are TM but Japanese TM. I tried to buy some Kenmochi wedges, but they weren't available until July...so I passed and got SCORs instead.

Right now I have eyes and wallet on these puppies...trying to figure out a way to get them. I already have 4 sets of irons.

[/quote]

Make sure you hit them before you buy them. I have the 910s.

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1339431008' post='5067194']
People generally fit into one of three camps: a) those that don't care all that much about any gear, whether it be JDM or otheerwise and buy new gear every 10 years or so, b) club hos who buy and sell and trade in and out of a bunch of US domestic gear and c) club ho extraordinaires that are into high end gear and for them, the highest and best quality is Japanese gear or perhaps true tour only gear.

Same analogy for cars....there are those that are into Ford Mustangs and believe that's the ultimate car lovers car and those that are into lambos and Ferraris. To each his own.
[/quote]

I fit into the C Category! I know I only have a Vega Sand Wedge but trust me if I ever had enough money I would definatley be buying JDM Equipment it is far superior! I only know 1 other person in the whole of Derbyshire that actually plays JDM equipment and luckily I work with him so I can have something good to talk about!

Club: Chevin Golf Club Handicap: 2
Driver: Ping G410 LST 9* Driver Shafts: Tour AD P9003, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 3 Wood: Ping G410 LST Tour AD P9003X, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 2 Hybrid: Ping G410 17* KBS Prototype 85X 3 Hybrid: Ping G410 22* KBS Prototype 85X Irons: Callaway X Forged UT 24* Apex MB Raw 18’ 5-9 Iron KBS TG1 100 Wedges: Callaway MD Forged 46* KBS Tour Callaway MD4, 52*, 58* KBS TGI 100 Putters: Odyssey Arm Lock 1 Wide plus many other Arm Locks haha

I don't play competitive golf, I just play because I enjoy it. A super forgiving set of irons that I hate the look of but would allow me to shoot an 86 instead of an 88 because a couple of toe hits still flew a decent length does nothing for me. I'd rather play the clubs I love to look at, feel wonderful on well struck shots and shoot the higher score. In all honesty I often play and don't even add up the scores at the end of the round.

[quote name='plasticeyes' timestamp='1340351552' post='5147392']
[quote name='Ghost_Orchid' timestamp='1340328017' post='5145516']

[/quote]u

Make sure you hit them before you buy them. I have the 910s.
[/quote]

Ok then, what are your thoughts? Are they hard to hit? Do they feel bad? They look compact, which I like.

It seems like ur holding something back, tell me...tell me

I know I'm not "good enough," but have always been intrigued by JDM equipment. The stuff is absolutely friggin' beautiful, but it was just too difficult for me to know which club was which since they were marked in Japanese:

[url="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%9B%9B"]四[/url]
[url="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E4%BA%94"]五[/url]
[url="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%85%AD"]六[/url]
[url="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E4%B8%83"]七[/url]
[url="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%85%AB"]八[/url]
[url="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E4%B9%9D"]九[/url]

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339380687' post='5064352']
[quote name='gofer' timestamp='1339379647' post='5064246']
OnOff Driver
Miura irons
Yururi Wedges
So I know where your coming from - it's kind of fun
[/quote]

Because of the name on the driver people probably really do think it is a copy. Do yo like the wedges? I was thinking f trying those or miura but I havent decided yet...
[/quote]
I love the yururi wedges and the miura irons - the on off driver still hasn't kicked my tourstage driver out of the bag though. I am thinking of trying to find a used miura k grind sandwedge though - the one with the knuckles

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1339382732' post='5064596']

It's pretty subjective. I have owned a set of Miura cb 202's and Miura tournament blades in the past, and while I thought they were both very nice I didn't think they were better than a titleist forging so I went back. That being said I switch clubs a lot and have been eyeing a set of Miura 501's so I might be back in the club sooner than I think.
[/quote]

About time you said something substantial in this thread..

Op; it just wouldn't be the same if the players at your club recognised Japanese sticks, where's the fun in that?!

[quote name='Petho' timestamp='1340447980' post='5153574']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1339382732' post='5064596']
It's pretty subjective. I have owned a set of Miura cb 202's and Miura tournament blades in the past, and while I thought they were both very nice I didn't think they were better than a titleist forging so I went back. That being said I switch clubs a lot and have been eyeing a set of Miura 501's so I might be back in the club sooner than I think.
[/quote]

About time you said something substantial in this thread..
[/quote]

+1000 to that. The guy who singlehandedly took what should have been a feel good thread and threw it in the toilet.