Charlotte NC WRXers, need your advice

shanked71

Long story short i am looking to relocate to the charlotte area ASAP. I am infact going down on thursday through the weekend to check the area out. i plan on using my time to both find places for potential employment and scope out the golf scene.

1) I plan on playing thursday and friday - any suggestions

2) looking for names of good repair/retail shops to check out for future referene

3)Reccomendations on private clubs if any one is a member etc, looking for something thats not too high class but a nice atmosphere with a solid course. This may not be a right away thing but it wil be an option to join some where in the near future

Thanks guys!.

915 D4 Hzrdus Black 6.0 <br />915 F D+ 80 S<br />915 HD Rogue 85 S<br />Jpx 850 4-6 Mp25 7-w<br />S5 Blue 50 54 60<br />Scotty Squareback

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help you with Charlotte advice per se. Regarding private clubs I will say that under certain circumstances, people in Charlotte can end up joining one of several clubs in Blythewood, SC which is a far northern suburb of Columbia, SC. The cost of private golf in the Columbia is 1/2 to 1/3 that in the immediate Charlotte surroundings.

That mostly makes sense if you live on the south side of Charlotte, especially if you're on the South Carolina side of the state line. The far southern suburbs of Charlotte are just over an hour drive from Blythewood with not much traffic. We get people who are weekend golfers, who live south of Charlotte and who would rather not pay the higher cost of Charlotte golf. But that's just something to keep in mind if you happen to fall into that kind of category. Feel free to PM me if needs be.

We have the 2 big chain golf stores, and then a few small ones. I prefer Carolina golf manufacturers, a little hole in the wall store that does good/cheap work.

I don't really know about what the SC guy is speaking of, but I do know that a lot of the private clubs in Charlotte are hurting for members right now. Many have waived all joining fees, and monthly dues $250-$300. I am a member at Pine Lake Country Club, which sounds right up your alley. Great golf course, with the most friendly membership in town. If you call our manager, Danny, and tell him you're in town looking at clubs, he may just let you on for a round. There are not too many public courses that I like any more. Larkhaven and Stone Bridge can be fun, but they get beat-up. Maybe check out deals in clickitgolf.com? Good luck!

It's certainly a buyer's market for golf right now. Five years ago I don' think there were many private options in that kind of price range in Charlotte. Good news for golfers, tough times for clubs.

Most of the folks I've met who live in Charlotte and play in Columbia joined 10-15 years ago when things were extremely pricey. Sounds like a very different story nowadays.

[quote name='glenn hough' timestamp='1342004251' post='5254532']
We have the 2 big chain golf stores, and then a few small ones. I prefer Carolina golf manufacturers, a little hole in the wall store that does good/cheap work.

I don't really know about what the SC guy is speaking of, but I do know that a lot of the private clubs in Charlotte are hurting for members right now. Many have waived all joining fees, and monthly dues $250-$300. I am a member at Pine Lake Country Club, which sounds right up your alley. Great golf course, with the most friendly membership in town. If you call our manager, Danny, and tell him you're in town looking at clubs, he may just let you on for a round. There are not too many public courses that I like any more. Larkhaven and Stone Bridge can be fun, but they get beat-up. Maybe check out deals in clickitgolf.com? Good luck!
[/quote]

I did locate the 2 golf galaxys who indeed were hiring, and i applied at both so im keeping my fingers crossed. I was hopiong to both scope the private clubs for me bership as well as employment i would be just as happy working in a bag room. Your club seems right up my alley and i just might give your manager a call ill have most of thursday and friday to my leisure. Thats about what the dues at most of the clubs around here are, with the exception of the 3-4 more upscale places. I am in a fortunate situation where i will be able to work doing someting i love and not be the sole provider of income so im hoping to land a golf job of sorts. . .

Thanks for your advice so far guys, The job hunt continues . . .

915 D4 Hzrdus Black 6.0 <br />915 F D+ 80 S<br />915 HD Rogue 85 S<br />Jpx 850 4-6 Mp25 7-w<br />S5 Blue 50 54 60<br />Scotty Squareback

+1 for Edwin Watts. Sean and the crew at the Concord Mills store are awesome. There are some really good public layouts in Charlotte, but I agree with the above poster about them getting beat up. Beat up or not though, Highland Creek is still one of my favs in the area.

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1342001666' post='5254470']
Can't help you with Charlotte advice per se. [b]Regarding private clubs I will say that under certain circumstances, people in Charlotte can end up joining one of several clubs in Blythewood, SC which is a far northern suburb of Columbia, SC. The cost of private golf in the Columbia is 1/2 to 1/3 that in the immediate Charlotte surroundings.[/b]

That mostly makes sense if you live on the south side of Charlotte, especially if you're on the South Carolina side of the state line. The far southern suburbs of Charlotte are just over an hour drive from Blythewood with not much traffic. We get people who are weekend golfers, who live south of Charlotte and who would rather not pay the higher cost of Charlotte golf. But that's just something to keep in mind if you happen to fall into that kind of category. Feel free to PM me if needs be.
[/quote]

I have lived in both areas and my brother and his family live in Charlotte. It is 75 miles from South Charlotte to Blythewood. I would not want to make that drive when there are plenty of option in the surrounding Charlotte area.

As far as private clubs go, check out Carolina Golf Club. It is a Donald Ross design and is always in immaculate condition. I am sure they can work something out for a potential new member. Also, The Carolina Golf Trail offers memberships at reasonable rates to almost any variation of 6 different courses or all 6. I can't speak to the condition of most of the courses but I have played Carolina Golf Links and Birkdale. They were both quality tracks for the price but seem to get a ton of play so pace may be an occasional issue.

I'll have to check them out, looks like a lot of rain is forecast so I may not bring the sticks. Still may call for tours, since I'll have all day Thursday and Friday to kill while shes at work any way. Thanks for the tips so far, keep em coming!

Any one got a job for me yet? Lol!

Springfield is right across the South Carolina line, About 15 minutes from uptown Charlotte. Hard to find a better (more challenging) layout
Also, for value, 35 minutes from there is Chester golf Club.... Good track with great greens and a great membership

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

There are quite a few options in or around Charlotte right now , clubs are hurting for members. I juat recently joined Fort Mill and Springfield golf clubs for the low price of $140 a month and $18 for cart fees , (or walk for free). plus uyou can play Chester and Lancaster golf clubs for around $20 since they are part of Leroy Springs ownership.

I will also vouch for Carolina Golf club; however it is fairly exclusive, and the crowd may not be up your alley. I am lucky that we have reciprocation with them, so I can play there for only $25 and charge food and stuff to my home account. I would venture to guess that they still have a hefty initiation fee, and possibly a waiting list. Very nice course though.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1342016762' post='5255396']
Carolina Golf Club is an outstanding course, especially since the renovations several years back. For my part, on the rare occasions I'm up in Charlotte there's nowhere else I'd rather play. The course really suits me and the club is also very well managed.
[/quote]

I could not agree more. The assistant pro at Carolina Golf Club is the older brother of the assistant pro at my club. It is one of my favorite courses that I have played, anywhere. Last time I was there, Michael Jordan and Dell Curry were there.

[quote name='glenn hough' timestamp='1342023898' post='5256244']
I will also vouch for Carolina Golf club; however it is fairly exclusive, and the crowd may not be up your alley. I am lucky that we have reciprocation with them, so I can play there for only $25 and charge food and stuff to my home account. I would venture to guess that they still have a hefty initiation fee, and possibly a waiting list. Very nice course though.
[/quote]

It does have a feel of being high class/high society. I have only played it a hand full of times. I have no idea what initiation fees or dues would cost but if I were moving to the area, I would find out before doing anything else.

I think the yearly/monthly cost of being a member at Carolina is probably reasonable for the level of service and quality of the facilities. The initiation is likely no bargain as they do not seem to be scratching up members wherever they can find them at the moment, unlike most clubs. It's a tier below the Quail Hollows of the world but a tier above a lot of clubs. Nice place.

Thanks for all the good info guys, still haven't decided if I'll bring the clubs down or not. Not a fan of playin solo, but at minimum ill be checking out some of these courses.

My hotel is right across from Ballantyne, i drove by Cedarwood Golf Club this a,fternoon from the street it looked very nice. Any one know who rents clubs around here? Didnt bring the stick because of the weather forcast, but now im wishing i did. Might just go buy a set at Galaxy, i need new irons any way :)

• 2 weeks later...

Where exactly are you going to be living. It really depends on where you will be living so you can narrow down your choices. South, in the city, Lake Norman? I just joined River Run in Daviidson. Unbelievable course and they are really working hard to make it even better. Very refreshing compared to most places that seem to be cutting every corner possible. Most places you can get a great deal on initiation fees.
To comment on a few mentioned:
Carolina is a good course. Initiation is around 20 grand. Not the friendliest atmosphere.
You mentioned Cedarwood: good course. I've heard it gets LOTS of play so pace is an issue (but that is just what I heard). I'm sure price is reasonable. Lots of walkers out there from what I understand.

If you give more detailed info on exactly what you want I can give a better rundown. What kind of initiation are you comfortable with, monthly fees, etc..

We would more than likely be living in the Ballantyne area, I know there were some apartments across from Stonecrest that we really liked for now. More than likely will live in a town home or apartment for a year or so. She works in Matthews, that's where here company's HQ is, but i wasn't too impressed by the town at all.

I'm terms of cost, looking for something with an initiation around 5k, monthly dues in the 500 range. Not sure if that even exists around there. But that's about average for most of the clubs around here with the obvious exception of Oak Hill and a few others.

Looking to move once we have established a good savings, possibly within the next 6 months or so. That is unless I can manage to land a job before then.

Thanks for your help !

[quote name='golfheaven69' timestamp='1343225342' post='5350032']
A good friend is the Director of Golf at Carmel CC but it's more than your budget.

One thing to look forward too, golf year round.
[/quote]

Any way to get me in the bag room???????????????????????

I am trying to get down there to Charlotte myself. Just working hard to find a corporate finance job down there so i can say goodbye to hartford CT. Ballantyne is an amazing place. I had a college teammate that lived there after moving from providence. Was fortunate to stay and play there a handful of times.

Titleist 917 D2 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Max X
TaylorMade '16 M2 3HL - AD DI 8X
Adams Pro black Hybrid 20, Voodoo X
Titleist 718 CB 4-9 DGTI X100 SS 
Cleveland RTX4 Black 46, 50, 54 DGTI S400

Titleist Vokey SM7M Black 59.07 S400
Ping Milled 0

Heading back down next week, for sure bringin the clubs because i really want to play ballantyne. Any takers :golfer:

my fiance sent me a link to town homes that are either on or associated with raintree, initiation fees are waived for residents which is a plus. Any one know anything about the course?? May give them a call, looks like there are a few good options thanks for all the help guys! Cant wait to get down there.