2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

epon af tour or muria cb 501

brentj40

im getting ready to order a new set of irons 4-pw and iv narrowed it down to these 2 sets and i need some help!

i understand one is a blade and one is a cb but there specs are almost the same... im thinking that if the specs are that close it might make sence to go with cb for a little more forgivness...

can anyone tell me if the 501´s will have a penetrating ball flight or do they play like a forgiving cavity (hard to work etc) thats my final deal maker... im going to put kbs tour shafts in whichever ones i buy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess it depends on what you are looking for in an iron. i game the AF tours and feel that they are the most forgiving set of blades out there. Im also coming from rac tp mbs amd mp14s. However, prior to purchasing the af tours i also looked at cavity back options and momentarily considered the cb 501s. the reason taht i say momentarily is because the PW in the cb501 set looks like a huge shovel and this i did not like. i have found that this seems to be a common theme with most cavity back irons.

for me, kbs tours flighted too high so i switched to nippon sp blues and that brought down the trajectory quite a bit (d3).

In actuality i game Af 302 4 iron and AF tour 5-pw.

Overall the AF tours are a perfect in betweener set

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

if you are a longtime blade guy you will have NO issues hitting the af tours. have you had time to demo or at least look at both sets?

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

[quote name='brentj40' timestamp='1344975765' post='5471422']
my concern with the af 302 was the offset

i am also a longtime blade guy so great point on the p wegde
[/quote]
if you're a long time blade guy, you'll definitely appreciate the af-tours. you'll get that familiar blade appearance with nearly as much forgiveness as many player's cb's. the epon blades tend to have more offset than other blades so be aware of that...but nothing like most cb's.

ball flight will be as much, if not more, dependent on shaft selection than head selection between these two irons. if you really want a penetrating ball flight you may want to look at something besides the kbs tours.

with that said, the epons would be my choice.

its impossible because i recently moved to mexico where i live full time.. there is no access to any golf shops here so im guessing... a friend of mine in canada convinced me to order the new adams cb3¨´s , well needless to say i hate the offset in the long irons and the short irons are way to thick.. im not sure why i was even looking at cb´s i play to a 2hcp and play 4 to 5 times a week here...

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1344979926' post='5471838']

[/quote]
if you're a long time blade guy, you'll definitely appreciate the af-tours. you'll get that familiar blade appearance with nearly as much forgiveness as many player's cb's. the epon blades tend to have more offset than other blades so be aware of that...but nothing like most cb's.

ball flight will be as much, if not more, dependent on shaft selection than head selection between these two irons. if you really want a penetrating ball flight you may want to look at something besides the kbs tours.

[/quote]

have you tried the c tapers? and my setup before was callaway protos and comparison with the af tours?

[quote name='brentj40' timestamp='1344980204' post='5471870']
[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1344979926' post='5471838']

[/quote]

[/quote]

have you tried the c tapers? and my setup before was callaway protos and comparison with the af tours?
[/quote]
i've only hit the cally protos once and the epons were more forgiving and felt much more pure. the epons are closer to the size of a players cavity than a players blade and i think that's where the forgivness and playbility come from. they're not large by any means, they're just not super small blades. and they're balance is probably the most perfect out there.

yes, the c-tapers are my shaft of choice. i have two sets shafted with them and another with the nippon super peening blues...both considered to be the lowest trajectory lowest spin shafts around. most jdm guys swear by the sp blues because the nippons typically have such good feel but for me the c-tapers feel much better. make sure to go a half flex down otherwise they will feel very harsh. a butt kick shaft will never feel as good as mid/low kick shafts but with the right flex these are money. i typically play stiff and went to r+ in the c-tapers and it's a perfect match. the trajectory is lower but not stupid low. it's just a more penetrating ball flight where the ball peaks early and continues it's descent forward instead of flying out, plateauing (ballooning), then dropping off a shelf. expect to gain 1/2 to one club distance with the c-tapers compared to kbs tours or most other shafts. and don't worry about stopping the ball, i'm never more than one hop away from my ball mark...whether i just hit pw or 4iron (i play the taylormade penta for referrence).

with the more traditional lofts of the af-tours, imho the c-tapers are a perfect match...and will feel awesome if you don't let your ego keep you from dropping down a flex. ;)

Depending on where you get them, you could get the 501's in 4-9 iron, and get a Tournament Blade, or even better, Baby Blade for the PW. The PW is pretty ugly in the 501. If you're used to blades and want to go with Miura, I'd recommend a split set or even a full set of blades. The 501's have a penetrating ball flight, similar to a blade, and are close to them in workability. Miuras are more solid, denser than the Epons, which are softer (IMO). Also, the Epons have some chrome on them. Miura are all satin finish, no shininess. Either would be a great choice.

[quote name='brentj40' timestamp='1344989347' post='5472740']
what is the difference between the tournys and the baby blades?
[/quote]

Babies are teeny-tiney ... like a baby.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

[quote name='brentj40' timestamp='1344989347' post='5472740']
what is the difference between the tournys and the baby blades?
[/quote]

Well, in the words of Miura-san himself, "these are my best-performing blades", referring to the Baby Blades. They are a little smaller than the Tourney Blades. In fact, maybe smaller than anything else out there right now. But they have the best feel (solid), turf interaction, and ball flight of any iron I've ever hit. And I've owned Tourney Blades, AF Tours, all kinds of Mizunos over the years, etc. Their accuracy of both distance and direction are uncanny.

I bought these to practice with a few years ago and started playing them exclusively after a few months.

the Epon af-tours wil offer you a nice degree of forgiveness but play like a blade,
they are just a bit thicker all round that yr typical blades
but u can make these things sing any tune u want. if u so desire.
they are the perfect blend between pure blade and a cavity stlye.
i tend to play these when i play on lusher thicker grass. the slightly thicker sole is just magic
af tours are delicious clubs.
and yep they hop skip and stop dead. NO probs htere.

id never give up my sets of smaller blades voluntarity but lets say the god of golf came down and strcuk me with the ultimatum that i was only allowed to have 1 set of clubs...........................impossible as that seems.....

ithen d not hesitate and take the af tours....
they play the perfect balance.

u came from x 100s and want ot swap over...
im a huige fan of NS sp blue..,
my SS is 108 ish and the X flex is pretty perfect. i cud go for 3-4-5 irons, soft stepped.
the modus 3 in theseheads are a greta mathc . but the ball prob goes too high for most guys liking, i have to hit an extra club compared to others, not a problem, but it needs mentioning. modus 3 is a great match but high.

hard to pass up the aftours really...

owari !

hey guys just goy an email from a friend who offered who offered me a set of monacos( hopfully spelled right) .. i know nothing about them but he knows my game and said there amazing! anyone try this shaft

im so confused about my iron choice now, i had the feeling i would be opening up a can of worms here.. but i really do appreciate all the feedback

[/quote]

The specs for the 302 Epons show them to have about 0.2 mm more offset (than the AF tour).... yes, that's 1/5th of a millimetre... and the manufacturing tolerance is +\- 0.5mm so i don't think offset is a problem - they have noticably less than my 301's and would seem to blend in perfectly at address when i held them side by side with the AF tour.

Check them out in person - and mr.haha has a combo set so he can confirm any offset issues or maybe pics of them at address?
The Miura 501 looks a similair idea of cavity back... nice. Can't compare specs for offset as the Miura's are stated in face progression...

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

you will like the monacos! i have them in a set of epon blades and they
are phenomenal. best shafts for me at the moment

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

[quote name='coops' timestamp='1345003187' post='5474186']

[/quote]

The specs for the 302 Epons show them to have about 0.2 mm more offset (than the AF tour).... yes, that's 1/5th of a millimetre... and the manufacturing tolerance is +\- 0.5mm so i don't think offset is a problem - they have noticably less than my 301's and would seem to blend in perfectly at address when i held them side by side with the AF tour.

Check them out in person - and mr.haha has a combo set so he can confirm any offset issues or maybe pics of them at address?
The Miura 501 looks a similair idea of cavity back... nice. Can't compare specs for offset as the Miura's are stated in face progression...
[/quote]

i ll take some address snaps of the 4 iron af 302 if you like. let me know what you need! in all honesty, i barely notice the offset in the 4 iron when compared with the af tours

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

[quote name='mr.haha' timestamp='1345004766' post='5474300']
[quote name='coops' timestamp='1345003187' post='5474186']

[/quote]

[/quote]

i ll take some address snaps of the 4 iron af 302 if you like. let me know what you need! in all honesty, i barely notice the offset in the 4 iron when compared with the af tours
[/quote]

please take some pics if u can

will do. ill shoot some pics when i get home after work.

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

here are some comparison pics. all irons are 4 irons. from left to right: R9 TP C, AF 302, RAC TP MB

Hope this helps.

[attachment=1306770:HIK_7014.JPG]

[attachment=1306768:HIK_7013.JPG]

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

[quote name='brentj40' timestamp='1344979981' post='5471842']
its impossible because i recently moved to mexico where i live full time.. there is no access to any golf shops here so im guessing... a friend of mine in canada convinced me to order the new adams cb3¨´s , well needless to say i hate the offset in the long irons and the short irons are way to thick.. im not sure why i was even looking at cb´s i play to a 2hcp and play 4 to 5 times a week here...
[/quote]why wouldyou let someone else choose your clubs especially you being a 2 hdcp?..........i am not even as good as you and no way i would let anyone i know and especially no one here on golfwrx talk me ino a set of clubs..........