The Tour...BAGS....anyone members?

Shizeman

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as you're from Medfid, you're probably looking at BAGS (Boston) and not BAGS RI. I play with the RI outfit. Run well, good bunch of people.

I like the fact that no matter the weekend/week, I have someplace different to play if I so desired. And they're varied and different courses. I also like there are no gimmes, need to putt out everything, everything by the rules. Got a GHIN index? It would help to put you in the correct flight (usually A or B). My game has most definitely improved from this.

Keeping that in mind, it's slow if you're in the mid/back of the pack for tee times. I've had some 5.5 hr rounds so I would suggest karting it on courses that don't have many seats at holes. I started to have a much better time with them after the 1st few events after getting the feel for things and stopped caring about how 'slow' things were and remind myself, I could be home mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, etc...

Also, members of BAGS and BAGS RI can partake in each others events. So if there's a course you like down here and you want to play it, no problemo. This is the last year for BAGS CT, so if you thought you could do the same with CT, not next year.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1345808467' post='5526414']
Seeing as you're from Medfid, you're probably looking at BAGS (Boston) and not BAGS RI. I play with the RI outfit. Run well, good bunch of people.

I like the fact that no matter the weekend/week, I have someplace different to play if I so desired. And they're varied and different courses. I also like there are no gimmes, need to putt out everything, everything by the rules. Got a GHIN index? It would help to put you in the correct flight (usually A or B). My game has most definitely improved from this.

Keeping that in mind, it's slow if you're in the mid/back of the pack for tee times. I've had some 5.5 hr rounds so I would suggest karting it on courses that don't have many seats at holes. I started to have a much better time with them after the 1st few events after getting the feel for things and stopped caring about how 'slow' things were and remind myself, I could be home mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, etc...

Also, members of BAGS and BAGS RI can partake in each others events. So if there's a course you like down here and you want to play it, no problemo. This is the last year for BAGS CT, so if you thought you could do the same with CT, not next year.

--kC
[/quote]

I'm a member with BAGSCT and agree with IMP. I'm sure it is run similarly. It appealed to me, because I loved the tournament atmosphere of a men's club, but didn't like playing the same course over and over. I'm also able to play quite a few private courses in CT through the tour. Definitely worth it in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

I just signed up with the RI Am Golf Tour at [url="http://www.riamtour.com/"]http://www.riamtour.com/[/url] which allows entry in the CT events too [url="http://www.ctamtour.com"]http://www.ctamtour.com[/url] (The old BAGS CT, which wanted to do things differently than what BAGS would allow, so, they are).

The courses look to be fantastic this year, and they're partnering with BlueGolf to do live reporting and stats. They're also doing some things to change up the points, something aligned like FedEx scoring... Should be a good and fun year next year. :) TPC Boston, TPC River Highlands... yep. I'll take a day off to play them.

Might see you at a few Dartboss.

I dropped doing the BAGS RI group because... too slow.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Riamtour just partnered with golfsmith.
They are running free membership for the 2013 season. Its a good setup
Www.riamtour.com

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

• 1 year later...

See if you can get in for an event to try it without paying membership upfront and see if you can stand the 5+ hour rounds. I joined a club this year because no matter what I tried or which group, even through promises, rounds that were under 5 hours were the exception and not the norm (and I still hear that from people that stuck with either group this year, actually was talking to someone this past Friday and he's saying he's done now after the last couple).

If there weren't payouts or whatnot, play speed would be faster, but with payouts, certain people agonize over every little detail and slow everything to a crawl. Typically...

Player 1: Reads a putt from 5 different places on the green. Then Putts.
Players 2 through 4 won't begin their routine until AFTER the player before them has putted, and not *while* the player before them is reading theirs.
If everyone lags up close, repeat the above until everyone has holed out.

In both BAGS and the Tour, I counted on many occasions (I ran out of fingers counting right now), 10 minute wait times in the fairway or on par 3s waiting to hit up to the green from all 4 doing the above routine, and not the same people or groups! I swore them off completely 1/2 way through last year.

--kC

Thanks KC!

That sucks and sad to hear that about the wait times. I could see every now and then having to wait that long if someone had to re-hit an OB shot or something, but if it's a regular issue I will have to reconsider.

It sounded like a great deal for more cuz my buddies do play, but not often enough for me and they don't take it serious at all. Not that in playing super serious, but I like to have a goal in mind when I play.

Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

Someone tie me down and take away my keyboard... it must be silly season, and I'm bored. And I've had 3 cups of coffee this afternoon.

I'm thinking of joining Bags (Boston) this year to play on MA courses. I decided not to re-up with the CC I joined this year because I just didn't get my moneys worth and I have an increasing travel schedule this year for work, meaning less time being able to just stop by the course. That and when it hit Aug/Sept, there were more frequent family commitments.

Anyone out there wanna share the pain with me? I think it would be fun playing with WRXers at different courses, like a sub group of the main Bags group(unless someones got another idea?). You can request to play with people ahead of time, so that shouldn't be much an issue.

Come on in, the waters fine! Everyone is doing it! It's cool now! It's hip! It's the thing to do! :lol:

--kC

• 1 year later...

Someone tie me down and take away my keyboard... it must be silly season, and I'm bored. And I've had 3 cups of coffee this afternoon.

I'm thinking of joining Bags (Boston) this year to play on MA courses. I decided not to re-up with the CC I joined this year because I just didn't get my moneys worth and I have an increasing travel schedule this year for work, meaning less time being able to just stop by the course. That and when it hit Aug/Sept, there were more frequent family commitments.

Anyone out there wanna share the pain with me? I think it would be fun playing with WRXers at different courses, like a sub group of the main Bags group(unless someones got another idea?). You can request to play with people ahead of time, so that shouldn't be much an issue.

Come on in, the waters fine! Everyone is doing it! It's cool now! It's hip! It's the thing to do! :lol:

--kC

I was thinking about joining one of these this year. But if its as slow as everyone is saying, I may just pass. The only real benefit I can see is you get to play some private courses, but most of those seem to be during the week (which means a no go for the majority of them).

• 1 month later...

--kC

I was thinking about joining one of these this year. But if its as slow as everyone is saying, I may just pass. The only real benefit I can see is you get to play some private courses, but most of those seem to be during the week (which means a no go for the majority of them).

BAGS Ma is now under new management and the home page says they will be holding to a 4:40 round....
and is adamant that all round musts be completed in no more than 4:40.
which to me is still long, but I'm... going to give it a try.

--kC

• 3 weeks later...

So anyone ever play CSGA links?

Also BAGS RI seems to have pretty good selection of tournaments. What is the best competition around CT/RI area?

Titleist Ts4 9.5* Accra TZ6 M5
Ping G400 5w Motore Speeder VC 7.3x
Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Mizuno MP20 4-P Nippon 120x
Cleveland Zipcore 52, 56 Ti S400

Cleveland Rtx 4 60-03 Ti S400
Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

• 3 weeks later...

3 events in with the Bags MA group, and I'm liking what I've seen so far. Good people and pretty good (could be better) round times, but they're working on them and aware. They have a weekend event this weekend at Allendale and Pinehills in combination with the RI group.

--kC

• 11 months later...

Thinking about joining BAGS RI, I just don't know if my handicap will be accepted, and if I don't have a handicap will I still be able to play in the tournaments and get a handicap? I use "The Grint" golf app, which states that the handicap it does give you is an official USGA handicap, but I don't know if BAGS would accept that. If they do not, how detrimental is it to not have a handicap, and to get one through the BAGS membership?

Do you have a GHIN number? Jim (Runs the RI evens) may take it. He's accommodating in the very least, great guy. Just ask him or send him an email.

As far as detrimental, handicaps are used for scoring (stableford) so, it's kind of important to be in the ballpark and somewhat verifiable.

--kC