2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Alright I gotta ask...Calling all Mizzy/Miura Experts

Grapehunter

I currently game a set of Mizuno MP68's which I absolutely love but I am looking for the holy grail.

It's perfectionist in me.

I have my eyes on Miura's at the moment. I have a set of Miura Tournament Blades (hopefully on the way), maybe even a set of Miura LE 1957 Baby Blades. My question is, how much more difficult (if at all) is it to hit either one of these Miura offerings. Help me out here!

M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only difference between your 68's and TBs as far as forgiveness is that the TBs have a sharper leading edge thus they tend to dig more than 68's so the grind is less forgiving. Trying to find a forgiveness difference between the faces and on miss hits is like picking flies off horse s***. The Baby Blades are a whole other monster, they are much smaller and the sweet spot is probably 15% smaller than the before mentioned. So they are less forgiving.

On the range, the TB's are way better than mizuno. they just feel perfect. Best if you're a sweeper though. In wet conditions, if you're steep, wear rain gear and sun glasses because you'll get dirt in the face.... Mizuno offer more sole grinds for you to match to your swing. Miura blades and baby blades are pretty much the same in that they dig.

If you love to pound balls all day on the range, get Baby Blades. If you like to play all day, get 202's

I played Mizuno from early 90s until this year: MP 7, 14, 32 & 68. Loved them all. Switced to Miura TBs this year and don't regret it. Last week I had the chance to hit the BB on the range for a while and they are great. Here's the problem.....THEY'RE JUST TOO SMALL. The guy that has them is a good player....he's already admitted that he has no business playing them and offered to trade me for my TBs....won't be taking him up on that deal.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='Gaijin_Golfer' timestamp='1350736565' post='5820465']
If you can hit 68s, Miuras shouldnt be a problem. The real question is why do you want Miuras? Theres really nothing special about them other than a hyped up name.
[/quote]

Short answer: I'm a club ho

Longer answer: I like the romanticism behind the Miura story. Where it is forged, how it is forged, his philosophy and most of all looks. I know I'll never be a professional golfer. If I can shoot in the 70's then I'm happy as a clam. If I sacrifice a couple strokes so I can play what I believe are the most beautiful irons on the planet, then that's worth it to me.

M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1350715493' post='5820101']
FWIW I've never seen a good player with the baby blades. Everyone I've seen with them is an 8 handicap who looks like he wishes he could play.

I've had both 202's and tournament blades, they are very nice and are a treat to hit on the range.
[/quote]

Nick Price isn't good enough for you, Thrill? :)

Cleveland Classic 290 9* Tour AD-DI 6s
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Tour AD-DI 7s
Adams Idea Pro 18* Aerotech Steelfiber
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW TTDG S300
Cleveland 588 Forged 56*, 64*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40

Nick P doesn't play LF 01 "Baby Blades"...they are a custom grind more like a smaller 5003...but ground to his personal specs. I spoke to a retired pro who uses Baby Blades and his take is they are super forgiving....because the heads are so small that the whole head is "Sweet spot"....maybe this is why he is retired???? :swoon:

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

[quote name='Grapehunter' timestamp='1350708446' post='5819901']
I currently game a set of Mizuno MP68's which I absolutely love but I am looking for the holy grail.

[/quote]

Miura's are very good but Epon AF Tours are the best. At the very least hit one before you order the Miuras. You may change your mind. I will say Miura does make the best wedges (1959 model) though.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Putter

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='Grapehunter' timestamp='1350741490' post='5820651']
If you can hit 68s, Miuras shouldnt be a problem. The real question is why do you want Miuras? Theres really nothing special about them other than a hyped up name.
[/quote]

Longer answer: I like the romanticism behind the Miura story. Where it is forged, how it is forged, his philosophy and most of all looks. I know I'll never be a professional golfer. If I can shoot in the 70's then I'm happy as a clam. If I sacrifice a couple strokes so I can play what I believe are the most beautiful irons on the planet, then that's worth it to me.
[/quote]
I can respect that. If you want Miuras because theyre Miuras, thats cool. About the whole, "where its forged, how its forged" thing; you do realize that Miura doesnt forge them, right? Theyre forged by Endo. Miura does the final grinding and polishing.
Not saying they arent beautiful irons and you shouldnt play them, I just dont want you to get sucked in by the hype and marketing. Theres really nothing Miura does that is anything different or special from any other forged iron. Its not as if Miura-san sits there all day long pounding iron heads into shape with a hammer and anvil.

[quote name='Gaijin_Golfer' timestamp='1350755692' post='5821285']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I can respect that. If you want Miuras because theyre Miuras, thats cool. About the whole, "where its forged, how its forged" thing; you do realize that Miura doesnt forge them, right? Theyre forged by Endo. Miura does the final grinding and polishing.
Not saying they arent beautiful irons and you shouldnt play them, I just dont want you to get sucked in by the hype and marketing. Theres really nothing Miura does that is anything different or special from any other forged iron. Its not as if Miura-san sits there all day long pounding iron heads into shape with a hammer and anvil.
[/quote]

Not trying to claim that what you said isn't true but do you have any proof that endo forges Miura Irons?

Nobody on these really knows who forges Miura irons. But I've never heard anyone say that Endo does. I've owned and played AF Tours, TB's, baby blades, and a bunch of others. The baby blades are NOT that hard to hit. If you can hit blades/players' cb's,you can hit these. You get used to the size after a couple rounds/range sessions then everything else looks bulky. I've played these other irons extensively but after playing the baby blades for a while, nothing I've played performs near as well for me. Iron distance control is the strength of my game and none of these others came close to the baby blades in this area. Don't get sucked in by those who hit them once and thought "what's so special?". Play 'em a while and you'll know. Much more rewarding than the TB's IMO. As far as digging, I found the TB's to be more "diggy" than the babies.

[quote name='Grapehunter' timestamp='1350755989' post='5821299']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Not trying to claim that what you said isn't true but do you have any proof that endo forges Miura Irons?

[/quote]

You are sadly mistaken about Miura not being forged in house......that was a rumour being spread on Tour Golf Spec on the web for a while....NOT true...all Miura irons are forged in the Miura factories..... total in house operation from start to finish.

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

[quote name='FLOGMR' timestamp='1350774541' post='5822117']
[quote name='Grapehunter' timestamp='1350755989' post='5821299']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You are sadly mistaken about Miura not being forged in house......that was a rumour being spread on the web for a while....NOT true...all Miura irons are forged in the Miura factories..... total in house operation from start to finish.
[/quote]

I always thought this was one of the selling points of the higher-end Japanese forged irons...Miura - in house, Mizzy-exclusive via Chuo and Epon/others - Endo

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have the bb's and love them. I really don't care if I ever fall into the handicap that warrants these clubs. The look awesome and when you hit them right nothing compares. Miuras whole philosophy is, love the way it looks and they or your fitter will make it work. That one post is 100% correct, after hitting a bucket everything else will feel huge and archaic. Also, you are lying to yourself and everyone else is, if they say they don't love the attention from a set of miuras. Get them and enjoy!!!

[quote name='PaulR9' timestamp='1350779154' post='5822333']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have the bb's and love them. I really don't care if I ever fall into the handicap that warrants these clubs. The look awesome and when you hit them right nothing compares. Miuras whole philosophy is, love the way it looks and they or your fitter will make it work. That one post is 100% correct, after hitting a bucket everything else will feel huge and archaic. Also, you are lying to yourself and everyone else is, if they say they don't love the attention from a set of miuras. Get them and enjoy!!!
[/quote]

That is exactly how I feel. I've always been a proponent of it's the Indian and not the arrow. I like beautiful things so why should my golf clubs be any different. I will work on my swing mechanics before playing something that looks like a shovel.

FWIW I've never seen a good player with the baby blades. Everyone I've seen with them is an 8 handicap who looks like he wishes he could play.

I've had both 202's and tournament blades, they are very nice and are a treat to hit on the range.
[/quote]

Nice post. Didn't know there were so many baby blades out there to generalize.

[quote name='zero4' timestamp='1350788264' post='5822861']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you for the compliment!

I've seen 8-10 sets of BB's (i hit balls at a range where the fitter sells a lot of miura). None of those people were any good. They look cool, they are great to hit, but they aren't as playable as the TB's and this is why TB's are more popular with people who care about their score.

If you have them and you are good throw up a swing vid, I'll give you your props if you deserve it!

Otherwise I stand by my comment.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1350793179' post='5823063']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've seen 8-10 sets of BB's (i hit balls at a range where the fitter sells a lot of miura). None of those people were any good. They look cool, they are great to hit, but they aren't as playable as the TB's and this is why TB's are more popular with people who care about their score.

If you have them and you are good throw up a swing vid, I'll give you your props if you deserve it!

[/quote]

I do have the baby blades. I am not going to throw up a swing video as I don't think I am at the level where I can tell others that I am good. (Not all golfers have a video of their swing either and I am not one of those guys that bring a tripod to the range, lol) However, my handicap is lower than 8, and I would say my iron play is what saves my rounds when I am not driving well. I actually purchased the baby blades since I wanted to own a set of Miuras and figured practicing with the baby blades would make my iron play better. I mainly play my Titleist 710MB's which are more forgiving and at least for me, easier to hit different types of shots and before that, I had the 690MB's. I considered the TB's but for me, play wise, it was too close to the 710MB's (although the feel is much softer) which is why I got the baby blades and I knew I would later want the baby blades.

I don't know where you play but maybe Toronto or Vancouver? You make it sound like if one's handicap is over 8, that person sucks. That's harsh man. Anyway, this is not going to help the OP at all so I will stop here.

[quote name='zero4' timestamp='1350802726' post='5823271']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do have the baby blades. I am not going to throw up a swing video as I don't think I am at the level where I can tell others that I am good. (Not all golfers have a video of their swing either and I am not one of those guys that bring a tripod to the range, lol) However, my handicap is lower than 8, and I would say my iron play is what saves my rounds when I am not driving well. I actually purchased the baby blades since I wanted to own a set of Miuras and figured practicing with the baby blades would make my iron play better. I mainly play my Titleist 710MB's which are more forgiving and at least for me, easier to hit different types of shots and before that, I had the 690MB's. I considered the TB's but for me, play wise, it was too close to the 710MB's (although the feel is much softer) which is why I got the baby blades and I knew I would later want the baby blades.

I don't know where you play but maybe Toronto or Vancouver? You make it sound like if one's handicap is over 8, that person sucks. That's harsh man. Anyway, this is not going to help the OP at all so I will stop here.
[/quote]

I would say most of the people I have seen with them were in the 7-12 range. Not that there is anything wrong with that, and it doesn't mean that you suck. Anyway going further with definitions of "good" is only going to lead to hurt feelings so I'll stop here.

I would say based on my impression they appeal to guys who are good enough to hit the sweet spot enough to enjoy them but the guy who has to hit 4 iron over water from 210 in his provincial or state am or open is going to lean towards the TB's or 202's for practical purposes. That's all I'm really saying.

I know my post doesn't look all that good but that's what I've seen, don't mean to pick on anyone, more of an observation than anything.

And if anyone else has the baby blades and can really hit them is out there who doesn't like my commentary, I assure you, if you throw up a swing vid you'll get a big THIS GUY PROVED THRILLHOUSE WRONG!!!! From me.

:)

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1350806024' post='5823297']
[quote name='zero4' timestamp='1350802726' post='5823271']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would say most of the people I have seen with them were in the 7-12 range. Not that there is anything wrong with that, and it doesn't mean that you suck. Anyway going further with definitions of "good" is only going to lead to hurt feelings so I'll stop here.

I would say based on my impression they appeal to guys who are good enough to hit the sweet spot enough to enjoy them but the guy who has to hit [u][i][b]4 iron over water from 210 in his provincial or state am or open[/b][/i][/u] is going to lean towards the TB's or 202's for practical purposes. That's all I'm really saying.

I know my post doesn't look all that good but that's what I've seen, don't mean to pick on anyone, more of an observation than anything.

And if anyone else has the baby blades and can really hit them is out there who doesn't like my commentary, I assure you, if you throw up a swing vid you'll get a big THIS GUY PROVED THRILLHOUSE WRONG!!!! From me.

:)
[/quote]

No doubt about that.....[i]They're too small. [/i]Hey, anyone who has them will look good pounding balls on the range.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1350820398' post='5823477']
I like Miuras espec the BB's, but if you've never hit Epons, I would suggest you do so. Just as stunning, softer and easier to play. I'm an epon fan boy, but went from never having heard of them to no real interest in playing anything else...they are that good.
[/quote]

I've looked into Epon irons as well but I don't find them to be as aesthetically pleasing as Miuras. Just my opinion of course but I have heard lots of great things about the feel of Epon irons.

[/quote]

[/quote]

This response made my whole day!!! Well put

[/quote]

[/quote]

I just ordered the CB-501s, and frankly, you just wrote down what's been in my head. Hopefully though I'm not sacrificing any strokes!

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='Grapehunter' timestamp='1350831806' post='5823825']
[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1350820398' post='5823477']
I like Miuras espec the BB's, but if you've never hit Epons, I would suggest you do so. Just as stunning, softer and easier to play. I'm an epon fan boy, but went from never having heard of them to no real interest in playing anything else...they are that good.
[/quote]

I've looked into Epon irons as well but I don't find them to be as aesthetically pleasing as Miuras. Just my opinion of course but I have heard lots of great things about the feel of Epon irons.
[/quote]

Have to agree with that...the Miuras are sexy as all get out. The Epons just get the job done! Neither are bad choices:)